• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 959 Views, 7 Comments

FlitterCC-Mod's 30 Minute Ponies Stories - FlitterCCmod



My collection of SFW stories for 30 Minute Ponies writing challenges on Tumblr.

  • ...
1
 7
 959

Luna and Myst

Princess Luna, the Princess of the Night and sister to Celestia. She had been imprisoned for an entire millennia, something even her sister could barely comprehend. She did not doubt that she deserved the fate. She had, after all, nearly commited genocide, and back at the time the parasite had been too strongly bonded to separate from her.

However, she did wish their had been another way. She knew that Celestia did, as well. She had been thrust out of her own time, abandoning all knowledge of the time's language, customs, and many of her friends. Many, but not all. There were those who lived extraordinarily long lives, and Celestia had told her of one's location.

Luna was in a long-forgotten set of ruins, which from what she could remember once formed some sort of maze. It was no issue now, though, as the walls had crumbled and given her a clear route to the center of the maze even on the ground.

She smiled when she saw the creature she was looking for. it was a creature made entirely of light-hued stone. It had the body of a lion but the head of a shifty cat. It opened it's eyes as it sensed Luna's presence.

"Myst the sphinx. It has been long," Luna said, bowing her head politely. The sphinx stared at her in silence for several seconds, making Luna slightly uncomfortable with the lack of response.

"My name is Myst, this is true. But answer me this: who are you?" Myst finally responded.

Luna sighed. She had been prepared for this, but it still hurt to know that one of her old friends did not recognize her new adult form. She had also remember the sphinx's love of rhymes and riddles, so she responded with one she had prepared for the moment.

"We once ruled the night, but a terrible plight forced us to take flight,

To the domain that was ours, in an ancient time.

Our sister regretted, the ponies forgot; all while we formed a dastardly plot.

Our return was wrathful, and our sister imprisoned.

Nopony could fight it, not even the sun, and in vain we believed the battle was won.

But the power of harmony turned on us twice. Great magic freed us from our wicked vice."

There was silence for several long moments. Myst then rose to her stony feet, and walked over to within an inch of Luna's face. Luna's nervous smile was soon met with one of recognition and affection from Myst.

"Indeed, it was long since I heard you were gone. Nightmare Moon is defeated, and Luna returned," she said.

"May we speak not in rhyme? It shall save time," Luna said, a hint of impatience in her voice. Myst laughed softly, odd considering her appearance.

"But of course, old friend. I missed you greatly," Myst replied, backing up a bit.

"And you, as well. How have things fared for thou in the time that I was gone?" Luna asked.

"Things have proceeded nearly as always. Though the Sanctuary has crumbled around me, none can pass my riddle yet to access the treasure beyond," Myst answered. "Oh, what fun we had devising the riddle, so many years ago. Mere moments in our eyes though."

"Yes... moments we wish not to relive," Luna said with a shudder.

"Ah, yes, I apologize," Myst said, frowning. "Has your readjustment gone smoothly?"

"Less so that we would hope, but perhaps better than expected," Luna answered with a smile. "Why, let us tell you the story of Nightmare Night..."

The two friends talked together for hours, exchanging tales of what had transpired in their time apart. They avoided speaking about Nightmare Moon, as it was quite the painful subject for both of them. Finally, Luna saw the sun setting in the horizon, and stood up with her horn glowing brightly. On the other end of the sky, the moon began it's slow ascent.

"I must return to Canterlot, I fear," Luna said. "It has been good to speak with you again, Myst. May I... May I just hear our old riddle?" Myst smiled.

"What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and three legs at night?" Myst asked.

Luna chuckled, and bowed her head before flying off. Nopony would ever discover the answer.

----------

In a small house in Ponyville, Lyra's ears perked up.