• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 958 Views, 7 Comments

FlitterCC-Mod's 30 Minute Ponies Stories - FlitterCCmod



My collection of SFW stories for 30 Minute Ponies writing challenges on Tumblr.

  • ...
1
 7
 958

Lessons in Adventuring

Daring Do strutted in front of two young, awed adventurers. One was Pipsqueak, a pinto-colored Earth-pony stallion with a compass and grappling hook for a Cutie Mark. The other was Pumpkin Cake, an orange unicorn filly, sporting a bushy mane and a glittering slice of orange custard cake on her flank.
In reality, the Daring Do in front of them was merely a fictional character. Twilight Sparkle had zapped them into the book by their request, as they'd hoped to improve their skills.
"So, you want to learn all about adventuring, do you?" Daring asked them.
"Yes, ma'am," Pipsqueak answered.
"Then let the training begin!"
----------
The three ponies were in the large, dark hallway of a tomb. They could barely see a thing, but they heard stones running against each other at the other end of the hall.
"Ok, first thing's first, you've got to check for traps. Tombs always have them," Daring ordered.
The two trainees immediately set to work, searching the walls, the floor, and even the ceiling. They were guided by Pumpkin's horn, which let out a brilliant orange light. They were slow and methodical... so much so, that when they reached the end fo the hall, they found a sealed doorway blocking their path.
"Ok, check for traps, but be quick about it," Daring corrected.
----------
The next lesson was at a large ravine. Pumpkin was hanging onto a vine over the raging river below, but a golden gobblet was also rolling slowly off a cliff.
"Lesson two, Pipsqueak! Always save the mare!" Daring yelled. "Exept when-"
Before Daring could complete her sentence, Pipssqueak had leaped off the edge of the ravine, swinging a grappling hook around an overhanging limb. The momentum from the jump carried him forward, but before he reached Pumpkin, she'd already teleported out of her perilous situation and grabbed the goblet with her magic grasp. Pipsqueak leaped onto the other side, frowning across at Pumpkin. Daring simply chuckled.
"Unless the mare can take care of herself!" Daring added.
----------
The party was cornered against the edge of a cliff in the jungle, as several large cats advanced on them.
"Um... lesson three, watch out for cats. They always want to kill you, even fi they don't look like it," Daring whispered. She looked behind her, where several thick vines hung over the cliff. "And lesson four: vines are your friends!"
With that, the party leaped for the vines to escape the snapping jaws of the predatory felines.
----------
Pumpkin Cake and Pipsqueak were pulled out of the book, and came face-to-face with Twilight Sparkle. She was obviously drained by the casting of such a powerful spell, but she looked on the two with relief.
"I'm glad you two are alright. You scared me with that cat bit," she said.
"So, how long were we in there?" Pipsqueak asked.
"Oh, about five minutes. Like I said before, though, it probably felt like much longer from your point of view. I was just following along by turning pages, but you were actually living it out," Twilight explained. "Exciting, wasn't it?"
"And awesome," Pumpkin agreed. "Thanks for the help, Twilight. We can probably use those lessons."
"You're welcome. Good luck on your adventures!" Twilight said.
With that, the two young "archeologists" ran out of the library, eager to put what they'd learned to the test.