• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 957 Views, 7 Comments

FlitterCC-Mod's 30 Minute Ponies Stories - FlitterCCmod



My collection of SFW stories for 30 Minute Ponies writing challenges on Tumblr.

  • ...
1
 7
 957

Kindness Never Dies

Yes another fanfic from the series. Read "The Last Party" and "The Speed of Light" first.

Fluttershy rarely came out of her house these days. She had been to the funerals of Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, two of her closest friends. She had conducted a funeral for Angel Bunny, her most beloved animal friend. She had heard of the death Scootaloo, but she could not bear to attend the funeral. She often simply sat in her house and wept for hours in end.
Today was different, though. She walked outside of her tiny cottage, and looked over her small wildlife refuge. It was in disrepair after Rainbow Dash's death, a time that shocked her to her very core. She'd gone into her house and not left for a week, and she'd never quite recovered from it. She started to work.
Time had not been kind to her body. She was frailer than ever, and her pace was slow. She carefully hammered new nails into a rickety wooden fence. She refilled every feeding box and trough. Before long, the very fact that she was outside and working drew attention from critters and ponies alike. The birds began helping her to hang things high. A few fillies and colts began to assist her on the ground. Stallions and mares assisted her whenever she had trouble.
Within an hour, Twilight Sparkle arrived at the gottage with Applejack, Rarity, and Applebloom alongside her. They were surprised to find so many ponies already helping their old friend, who had still not said a word to anybody besides quiet pleas for help with more difficult tasks. The four found the old yellow pegasus, and gathered around the birdhouse she was cleaning.
"Fluttershy, we came as soon as we heard what you were up to," Twilight said. Her face was wrinkled a bit with age.
"Oh... oh, hello, Twilight. Oh, and Applejack and Rarity. I wasn't expecting you," Fluttershy said, as she pulled her head out to look at them. "What brings you here?"
"Concern," Rarity answered. "You shouldn't be working so hard. I don't mean to be rude, but you're too old to handle such labor."
"She's tellin' the truth, Fluttershy. I barely work the farm anymore. Applebloom here handles the day-to-day farmwork," Applejack added.
"Oh, but I can't just leave this place in such bad condition. I'd never be able to forgive myself," Fluttershy replied, a small smile creeping to her face. "The next animals who live in this place will surely have a good caretaker. I've already spoken to this year's animal crew at Winter Wrap-Up. One of the young mares volunteered to take over."
"No... no, I can't have been right," Twilight said, her breathing suddenly growing heavier. "Fluttershy, you can't be-"
"Dying. I know I don't have much time left. Kindness told me so two nights ago," Fluttershy said.
"Kindness?" Twilight asked.
"Yes. My Element. It spoke to me in a dream," Fluttershy said.
"... How long?" Twilight asked quietly, after several seconds of silence.
"I don't know. It could be a month. A week. Hours," Fluttershy said. "I was going to tell you after I was done working."
"Ya' have. You're done workin' right now," Applebloom said. "Let's get ya' inside to rest."
"Oh... but I wanted to see it when it's done..." Fluttershy said, frowning.
"And ya' will. Now let's go," Applebloom said, leading Fluttershy back into her house.
----------
Two hours later, the five ponies walked outside again. Despite her rest, Fluttershy only looked more weary than before. She couldn't help but see what had been done, though.
She smiled as she looked over the refuge. The several ponies that had unexpectedly shown up were walking around the land, which looked to be in even more pristine condition than the day she had made it. The animals were bouncing, running, flying, and swimming. Angel Bunny's old personal home, with the gravestone beside it, had flowers all around it.
Tears began to flow from her eyes, and she leaned on Twilight's shoulder. Twilight let her stay like this for a minute, but then she noticed that the joyful tears had stopped, and the other three were staring at Fluttershy. She had stopped breathing.
And then there were three.