• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 4,548 Views, 56 Comments

Maintaining Harmony - DiabloGuapo



In the aftermath of the royal wedding, a civil war threatens Equestria.

  • ...
6
 56
 4,548

Spike's Fate

“Spike! Look out!” The warning came too late. Time seemed to move in slow-motion as the blast of magic from brainwashed unicorn guard headed towards Spike. The blast struck the young dragon in the chest, knocking him backwards into the door at the end of the caboose. The door shattered from the force of impact and Spike was launched out of the train. Spike grunted as he hit the tracks and he bounced off the bridge and fell into the ravine below. Spike saw the ground approaching all too quickly. In desperation, he flapped his wings in hopes to stop his fall. Despite how hard he flapped his new wings; the ground still was coming up at him at an unmerciful rate. Spike closed his eyes and prepared for the end, but it didn’t come. He cautiously opened one eye and saw the he was hovering over the ground, his face only an inch the frozen ground.

“Whew…that was close,” he sighed with relief as he touched down. As the adrenaline rush wore off, his chest ached with pain from the blast. The wind blew and he shivered as he looked up at the bridge. The train was already pulling out of sight. Spike realized that Shining Armor was now facing the two soldiers by himself and started to take off, but he cringed with pain and clasped his chest. He landed again and looked back up at the train. He sighed as he realized that he can’t make it to the train. Instead, he looked around and decided he better start walking.

Following the bridge, he eventually came to the wall of the ravine. He looked up at the wall, debating if he should try climbing it or attempt to fly again. Considering the pain in his chest and the freezing wind, he figured that he should seek shelter. Fortunately, he spotted a cave nearby and headed into it. It was still cold, but at least he was out of the wind. He sat down against the wall and thought of what he should do next. Since Shining Armor and I were attacked by unicorns, it obviously meant that the Kingdom of Unicornia has already made their move and that they have infiltrated the royal guard. We decided to go our separate ways and all of us were accompanied by royal guards, except for Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. That means that they are in danger! However, there were two guards headed to the Crystal Empire! But, if anypony could take care of himself, it was Shining Armor. Besides, he has the entire Crystal Empire behind him. On the other claw, Applejack and Pinkie Pie are by themselves in Ponyville with the guards. Even worse, Twilight, Rarity, and Princess Celestia are now surrounded by the enemy! What should I do!?

As he thought, Spike’s stomach growled. Rubbing his stomach, he looked around the cave in hope that there was anything to eat. At first, he didn’t see anything, but then he could smell something delicious. He sniffed around like a bloodhound, trying to pinpoint the source of the wonderful smell. His nose led him around a corner and he saw a wonderful sight. It was a cavern filled with gems! He drooled at the sight of all the gems he found. His concerns were nearly forgotten as he began to fill himself with the tasty gems. After filling up with an enormous amount of gems, Spike started to fill drowsy. Wait, I got to help my friends! But…I can’t even…keep my eyes…open…

“My friends!” Spike yelled as his eyes snapped open. He stood up and started to head towards the entrance of the cave. He stopped when he noticed that something was off. He looked around the cave and noticed that it seemed smaller. He turned around, and saw something on the cave’s floor. He took a closer look and saw that it molted skin. “I must have grown while I was asleep. I guess that explains my increased appetite. Whoa, my voice sounds deeper. What less changed?” He checked the reflective surface of a gem to see himself. He wasn’t chubby anymore and he was now somewhat muscular. “Wow, looking good Spike, real good. Wait moment, my friends!” He ran out the cave and took off. Hang on girls, I’m coming. He took off towards the south, headed to Canterlot.

Eight ponies were sneaking through the alleyways of Canterlot. The Bearers of the Elements, Shining Armor, and Princess Celestia were cautious. Even though Blueblood had already sent his forces across Equestria, there were still a few soldiers patrolling the streets and they couldn’t risk detection. Twilight Sparkle watched with an icy glare as she saw two guards pass by, not noticing the group. Her anger wasn’t directed at them or even the soldiers that took her son away from her. She knew they aren’t to blame. No, her hatred was focused on Prince Blueblood.

“Twilight,” a voice called to her. Rainbow Dash placed a hoof on her friend’s shoulder. “Twilight, come on.”

“I’m coming,” she replied. She walked up to Princess Celestia and her brother. They stood facing the wall at the end of the alley. The princess’s horn glowed and the wall opened, revealing a tunnel into the mountain.

“A secret passage?” observed Applejack. “Are y’all sure this is safe? Ah mean, wouldn’t they know about it?”

“It is possible,” admitted Shining Armor. “But we don’t have any other option.” The group headed into the tunnel, proceeding with caution. Every second was filled with dread, for they feared that there would be a squad of soldiers waiting for them behind every corner. They followed the path through a labyrinth of tunnels. The mane six would be lost, but the princess and the former captain of the guard seemed to know where they were going. Finally, they came to a stop at another wall. Even though it was only a few minutes, it felt like an eternity.

“Listen, behind this wall is the vault that contains the Elements,” announced the white alicorn. “I’ll open the vault and then we’ll find Blueblood.” The group nodded and then Princess Celestia again used her magic to open the secret door. Carefully, the group stepped into the hall. The chamber was filled with black crystals. They made their way to the vault doors and the princess used her horn to unlock the door. Inside, the case that contained the Elements of Harmony rested on a pedestal.

“Aw yeah!” cheered Rainbow Dash. “Now, let’s go and kick…some…oh pony feathers.” The eight found themselves face to face with Blueblood and his soldiers.

“Eep!” Fluttershy squealed in fright.

“Surprise,” the usurper king sneered.

“Funny, I never thought I’d be so terrified to hear somepony say that,” Pinkie nervously chuckled.

“Well, well, well. You are all still alive,” said Blueblood as he observed the cornered ponies. “Honestly, I’m shocked to see you all alive, but I’d figured that you fools would try to sneak in to steal the Elements. Did you honestly think I would be so stupid and leave the vault unprotected?” They didn’t notice that a black ring of magic had rippled underneath their hooves as soon as they stepped in front of the vault doors.

“Actually, yes,” confessed Rarity. “I really think you are stupid.”

Prince Blueblood growled in anger, but then he smirked. “How very droll, but actually, I’m glad my guards didn’t kill you all. Now, I can…” He was cut off when Twilight shot a blast of magic right at his face. He raised a black shield of magic in time to protect himself from the attack.

“You killed Spike,” Twilight seethed in fury.

“Oh, so my guards managed to kill at least the runt,” mocked the blond unicorn and then turned to Shining Armor. “By the way, were they able to take care of your wife, ‘cousin’?” This caused Shining Armor to step forward and stand next to his sister, both ready to blast that smug look off Blueblood’s face. Actually, they wanted to blast his face off his head. “I would think twice before trying that again, that is, if you value Aunt Luna’s life.” This enraged the entire group, but the two unicorn siblings powered down.

Blueblood smirked as the eight surrendered and turned to a soldier. “Rally the citizens; it’s time to send a message to the ponies of Unicornia.”