• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 4,670 Views, 157 Comments

Two Best Friends Play: Equestria - MisterMercenary



Hey, friends! It's Matt and Pat IN EQUESTRIA!

  • ...
10
 157
 4,670

Chapter Seven: Come With Me If You Want To Look Nice

Ponyville Library, The Same Day, 4:00 P.M

"WHAT!?!"

"Yeah, that was our reaction too."

Matt and Pat were standing around in the library with the rest of the Mane Six, explaining what had happened a few hours ago. All of them looked shocked and scared, save Pinkie Pie and Rarity, and even then the former's ears drooped when she heard that it was going to be like the Grand Galloping Gala. The latter looked very, very excited.

"Oh my gosh, yes!" she cried. "My greatest challenge ever! Creating an ensemble for two unknown beings, ooh! How thrilling!" Matt and Pat cringed at how emphatic she seemed. Twilight was simply annoyed.

"Ugh, Rarity!" she said. "There's more important things to be doing than gunning for the right to say that you dressed two humans!"

"What did you call them?" Rarity replied, confused.

"Humans. It's what Matt and Pat's race is called." Twilight explained. The whole room went "Ohhhhh."

Rarity, ignoring Twilight's message, went up to Matt and Pat and began speaking to them. "Look, this is a formal event, so I'm going to need you to look your best. Seeing as what you're wearing are the only clothes you have, both of you are going to need something nice to wear. I'll come up with something if you're willing to come with me to my home."

"Um, sure." Matt and Pat replied simultaneously.

"Fantastic!" Rarity clapped her hooves together. "I'll be sure to come up with something nice that'll please you. However, to be a gentlecolt, you must not only look the part, but act it. For etiquette, I'm unsure how you'll fare in that department-"

Matt suddenly belched while Pat wiped his nose with his arm and scratched his back, confirming Rarity's worst fears.

"Eww! Ugh, I'll definitely be needing to teach you two about manners. Stop by my home tomorrow at 12 o'clock sharp. We're going to need a lot of time. For now, come with me if you want to look nice." Matt and Pat followed Rarity out the door to Carousel Boutique.

---

Carousel Boutique, 4:15 P.M

The bell above the door rang across the hall as Sweetie Belle raced to the door, eagerly anticipating the arrival of her big sister. The door swung open, revealing Rarity, along with two Diamond Dogs. But that didn't make sense, she's had bad history with Diamond Dogs. Why would she bring them into Carousel Boutique?

Sweetie Belle froze. Her legs locked up and her face refused to move. She wanted to scream, but she couldn't. She was paralyzed with fear.

Rarity had brought the two creatures into the boutique.

Rarity looked over at her catatonic little sister and waved. "Oh, hello, Sweetie Belle!" she said. Have you met Matt and Pat yet?" Sweetie Belle just kept on staring ahead. Rarity trotted up to the filly and poked her on the head. "Sweetie Belle?" she asked. "Heloooo?" Rarity looked over to Matt and Pat for help, eyebrow raised. They shrugged. Matt walked up to Sweetie Belle and stooped down.

"Hello? Anyone home? Sweetie Belle?" he inquired. Matt wore a worried look on his face. Running out of ideas, he nudged her horn. Sweetie Belle bolted up the stairs to the second floor, faster than anybody or anypony could see.

"Twice this has happened, Matt!" Pat shouted. "Twice!"

"Remind me how you two are still friends again?" Rarity asked. They shrugged. "Whatever," she sighed. "Forget I asked." She turned towards the stairway. "Sweetie Belle? Come down, now."

The white little filly peeked her head out. "R-R-Rarity?" she stammered.

"Yes, Sweetie Belle, it's me." she reassured. "Come down, please."

"No!" the child denied. "Not while those two are down there!"

"Racist," Matt whispered to himself.

"Sweetie, Matt and Pat are perfectly normal individuals!" Rarity explained. "They don't want to hurt you!"

"NO!" Sweetie Belle repeated. Rarity sighed annoyedly. She went up the stairs to her younger sister. A few moments later, Rarity brought down Sweetie Belle down to the first floor kicking and screaming in a magical field. She fought helplessly against the magic but finally gave up after wearing herself thin.

Rarity levitated her towards Matt. "Sweetie Belle," she introduced, "this is Matt." Matt gleefully waved. Sweetie Belle waved too, decidedly less happy. Rarity did the same with Pat.

Sweetie Belle suddenly perked up. "Oh my gosh, do I have a cutie mark now for meeting two aliens? Oh, who am I kidding of course I..." Her joy swiftly died as she laid eyes on her bare flank. She looked over at Matt and Pat. "Don't tell me you have cutie marks."

"Um..." Matt said, "about that..." Him and Pat turned their right hands around.

"OH COME ON!" Sweetie Belle whined. "Two creatures from another world got their cutie marks before I did! I'll never get one now! Never, never never!" She stared to sob into her hooves. Matt and Pat looked at each other worriedly. Pat then went over to Sweetie Belle and got on one knee.

"Hey, kid. Don't feel down. Just because we have cutie marks before you doesn't mean you're not gonna get one," he consoled. "Everyone grows up at different rates, in different ways. Don't rush it."

Sweetie Belle sniffed. "You sure?" she asked.

"Positive," Pat reassured.

"Okay, then. Maybe you aren't as bad as I thought."

"I'm glad to see you have made friends with these two," Rarity said before lowering Sweetie Belle to the ground. "Anyway, Matt, Pat, let's get you suited up!" Rarity chuckled at her pun. "What do you have in mind?"

"Could you make me a tuxedo?" Matt requested.

---

Carousel Boutique, 6:30 P.M

After two hours of hard, hoof-tiring, horn-exhausting labor, Matt and Pat were fully decked out in formal wear. For Matt, Rarity had crafted a classic black-and-white double breasted tuxedo, complete with the all-important bow tie. She let him keep the skull-cap. For Pat, Rarity had made a considerably more modern suit: a gray jacket with matching pants and a black dress shirt. The two were checking themselves out while Rarity admired her work with Sweetie Belle.

"Wow," Sweetie Belle said, "you two look fancy!"

"Stylin' and profilin'!" Matt exclaimed.

"For once, you used that correctly." Pat said in return. He then faced Rarity. "Thanks for the suits," he said. "It's really appreciated. So, how much are we gonna pay you?"

"Oh, you don't have to pay me at all!" Rarity replied. "It's free of charge."

"Wait, really?" Matt said disbelievingly.

"Of course!" Rarity assured.

"Wow, thank you!"

"It's nothing, really. Now, off you go!" Matt and Pat picked up their spare clothes and left the boutique with their suits on.

"Goodbye!" Rarity said. The two waved goodbye in return. "Don't forget to come over tomorrow! Twelve sharp!" she reminded. Rarity then turned to her little sister. "Sweetie Belle, there's something that I need you to do for me."

---

Carousel Boutique, The Next Day, 12 P.M

The doorbell chimed as Matt and Pat stepped into Carousel Boutique clad in their suits. Rarity then stepped into view, dressed in a simple white dress with gold trimming, a pearl necklace draped around her neck.

"Ah, you're here!" she said. "Come, follow me." The mare led her to her dining room, where a wooden table with four chairs stood in the center. Multiple dishes with various foodstuffs were spread across it, all of them vegetarian. Sweetie Belle stood on a chair wearing a frilled pink dress and flower necklace with matching headband.

"Welcome to Rarity's School of All Things Fancy!" she cried, flashing an enormous grin.

"Is this world trying to give me a heart attack?" Matt whispered to Pat.

"Do you like it?" Rarity asked. "Sweetie Belle and I worked on it all day."

"Yeah," Pat replied, "it's pretty cool.

"Great!" Rarity exclaimed. "Unfortunately, however, we only have a limited time here," she explained, "so we're just going to go over the basics. First, we'll do a dry run to see what you know. Pretend you don't know us."

Matt and Pat went to the back of the room along with Rarity and Sweetie Belle. On Rarity's word, they walked up to the table together. Matt and Pat took their seats and began leaning their elbows on the table, twiddling their thumbs. Sweetie Belle and Rarity stood around their chairs, annoyed. The mare cleared her throat.

"Ahem," she said, "gentlemen."

"What?" Matt asked. "What did we do?"

"Two things." Rarity replied. "One, you don't lean on the table." This caused them to get their elbows off the table immediately. "Two, you pull out chairs for the ladies." Matt and Pat then shot up from their seats and rushed to the chairs that Rarity and Sweetie Belle were at. They pulled it out, nervously chuckling before heading back to their seats.

"That's better." Rarity said. "Now, to introductions. My name is Rarity Nicolette-"

Before she could finish, Matt started to chuckle.

"Just what is so funny about my middle name?" she demanded.

"Nothing..." Matt admitted before saying, "Niko."

This caused Pat to join in on Matt's fun. "EH, RARITY! MY COUSIN!" he said in a horrific imitation of Roman Bellic. "LET'S GO BOWLING!" The two humans laughed their heads off. Even Sweetie Belle found it kinda funny, despite not getting the reference.

Rarity facehoofed and sighed. "I don't even like bowling," she muttered to herself. "Anyway, I think it's time we eat, don't you?"

"Oh, shit yeah, man!" Pat agreed. "I'm starving."

Sweetie Belle clasped her hooves together next to her mouth. "Ooooooooooo!" she said. "Someone just swore!"

Rarity covered the filly's ears. "Pat! Has nohuman ever taught you not to swear at the table?" she chastised.

"Sorry," he apologized, then added, "By the way, it's nobody." Plates and bowls were shuffled about as the four decided what to eat. Rarity and Pat had salad while Sweetie Belle and Matt had soup. In contrast to the ponies' gentle eating etiquette, the humans scarfed down their food as if they hadn't eaten in millennia, finishing in mere seconds and letting out gigantic burps when they were done.

"Oh, goodness," Rarity lamented. "This is going to take a while."

Carousel Boutique, 4:30 P.M

Fast-forward four hours and Matt and Pat had completely changed, at least at the dinner table. Their manners had changed from middle-class slobs to upper-crust snobs. Instead of saying "Cool", they now said "Interesting". Instead of saying "Oh, Jesus", they now said "I say!" Instead of saying "Damn, girl, you lookin' fine tonight", they now said "You look quite nice this evening, madam". Their etiquette now had a refined elegance to it, instead of the laziness it once possessed. They also gained English accents, for some reason.

"I say, Miss Rarity, this food you've prepared is quite delicious!" Matt complimented.

"Why, thank you!" she replied.

"And I must add," Pat said, "you and your sister look quite dashing tonight."

Sweetie Belle blushed alongside Rarity and said, "Thank you! It was my flower filly dress."

"Well, my dear," Matt said, "you wear it like a glove." He put his utensils down and stood up. "I say, I am quite full, wouldn't you say Pat, old boy?"

"Oh, yes." he replied. "I think it's time to go." He stood up, pushing in his chair. "Goodbye, ladies. We'll be taking our leave now." The two went headed out the door, waving goodbye as they did.

"Goodbye, you two!" Rarity said while waving back.

When they left, Sweetie Belle said, "Wow, sis. You're a really good teacher."

"Thank you, Sweetie Belle." Rarity responded back. "I know."

Meanwhile, Matt and Pat broke down laughing outside, mocking how stupid they sounded.