• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 1,606 Views, 46 Comments

Music of the Night - CharlieOist



Princess Luna's birthday is coming up,and a mysteriuos musician shows up and complicates things.

  • ...
9
 46
 1,606

Friendship

“I must say, Ms. Sparkle, you and your friends have the strongest friendships I have seen-,” the black unicorn hesitated, “in a long time.”

Twilight looked back to Nightsong, having been examining some signs on the wall, tilting her head in confusion . “What do you mean, Nightsong?” They had left the library that morning in high spirits, and were now on the final approach to the courtyard, where, Nightsong assured them, they would find a straight shot to the temple.

“I heard what happened last night. To have friends so willing to leap to your aid, even in the middle of the night, after a long day of exploring, reading, and avoiding the undead creatures that haunt these halls... It astounds me.” Nightsong continued walking, his eyes on the group of mares ahead of them, who were, as usual, deep in conversation over past experiences, or what they were going to do when they got back to Ponyville, or whatever happened to be on their minds at the moment.

“Of course! Is that not what friends do? Helping and supporting each other, no matter what, through thick and thin!” She paused, thinking back on past incidents that had taught her about friendships, “...most of the time.”

Nightsong smiled slightly in amusement. “I wish I had the type of friends you have, Ms. Sparkle.”

Twilight seemed to grow even more confused. “Do you not?” The conversation ahead had stopped completely, and an almost expectant hush filled the air, although Nightsong seemed not to notice.

The black unicorn's expression grew sad. “No, Ms. Sparkle. I've never been as close to anyone as you are to your friends. All the friendships I've had over the years, all the friends I've made and the ponies I've known, and all of them were never close enough to me to do what your friends did last night. Your friends, comforting you after you had a nightmare...” Nightsong's eyes seemed to glaze over, and his expression grew distant and forlorn. Twilight watched him for a while, before turning back to look at her friends.

Rainbow Dash was looking at the black unicorn with what Twilight could only describe as pity. Pinkie's eyes were full of sadness, and the others had a combination of both emotions. Twilight nodded at them, and they all rushed the red maned pony, who turned just in time to see a giggling, multicolored wall of pony rushing towards him at full tilt. He just managed an “Oh!' of surprise before the group tackled him, tangling themselves up in a giant tumbling living, laughing ball that tumbled the rest of the way down the hallway, crashing through the door at the end to wind up in the courtyard.


“Luna, please, this is ridiculous. I've had to double my guards all over, even bring out some of the reserves from the Equestrian Army, and the Element Bearers are still at the Everfree Castle! You can't have every one of your guards surrounding your rooms day and night just because you're scared! They're just ponies! They can't operate like we do!”

“With all do respect, Princess Celestia, we will stand here as long as our Princess desires.” One of the thestrals, as Luna's bat winged guards called themselves, spoke up. The Princess of the Sun recognized him as the one who had appraised her of the situation while on his way to his new post outside Luna's door.

“No, no, she's right. I'm being foalish...” Luna's voice was exhausted, as though she hadn't rested for days. And, if the reports were true, she hadn't. The Lunar princess had supposedly been pouring what power she could spare into keeping the entire Lunar wing illuminated, leaving no shadows, even in the cracks between the stones. Ever since she had woken up screaming last night, after finally falling asleep from days of no rest and constant power usage, she had left nothing to chance, and had recalled all her Lunar guards to the palace, placing them everywhere within and without the Lunar wing of the castle. Even now, Princess Celesta could see two guards within Luna's room, searching everywhere for whatever had made their princess so upset.

“But still... Tia, I know it was her. She's still trying to take me over, still trying to 'help' me, still... in here.” Luna's hoof raised to point to her head, and, almost at once, she began to collapse. As she fell, several of her guards rushed to her side, and Celestia watched as the ever-loyal guards struggled to support the ancient alicorn, feeling a mixture of awe, amusement, and pride. Not even my own guards are this loyal, she thought with a sad smile. Then again, Luna always has been able to instill loyalty better than I was. She did, after all, understand it better...

Her thoughts began to turn down a darker road then, and Celestia shook her head to clear it. “I will take my sister from here.” She stepped forward, and immediately, ten thestrals were standing before her, magical auras surrounding their weapons as they glared with a mixture of suspicion and distrust at the Goddess of the Sun.

“Let her through.” Luna's voice didn't waver now. The strength behind the command should have been beyond her, in her current state, she wouldn't be her old self until the moon rose and she could once more draw power from it. And even then, she would still be fatigued. However, there was no mistaking the tone, and, as a unit, the line of guards parted, allowing Celestia access to her sister.

“Come, Luna. You may sleep in my room with me tonight. I promise, nothing will happen while I am with you.” The Princess of the Sun walked over to Luna. Wrapping one large wing around the smaller alicorn, and placing a shoulder beneath her, she managed to pick up her sister, pulling her onto the larger alicorn's back. Without missing a beat, Celestia turned and began to walk towards her room, and the guards dispersed once more.

A large, black alicorn watched from the shadowed doorway of the Lunar Princess's room, sharp white teeth gleaming in the darkness as her electric blue eyes followed the pair down the hall.