• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 1,607 Views, 46 Comments

Music of the Night - CharlieOist



Princess Luna's birthday is coming up,and a mysteriuos musician shows up and complicates things.

  • ...
9
 46
 1,607

A Bridge Encounter

Lightning flashed, sending shadows dancing across the walls, and illuminating seven ponies walking across a formerly-covered stone walkway that had once spanned the raging Everfree River leading to a different part of the Everfree Castle. For the ponies who had spent their entire lives in places where the weather was controlled, this unplanned thunderstorm was disconcerting, and the noises that echoed from deeper within the castle didn’t help. Even Rainbow Dash, the normally fearless flyer who had once dived into a well to save the young filly that had accidently stumbled in, jumped each time thunder rocked the open structure. Pinkie and Nightsong, however, were chatting happily about various pastries and such from around the world, Pinkie bouncing along beside the dark unicorn as they pressed on towards the next destination.

“How can you two be so relaxed?” Twilight asked at one point when a particularly loud explosion of thunder caused the walkway to shake violently, and almost sending the purple unicorn plunging into the raging rapids nearly sixty feet below.

“Isn’t it obvious, silly? He’s seen this type of weather before! And I’m not scared because of what Granny Pie said…” Before she could launch into song, however, Nightsong put his hoof over her mouth and motioned for silence.

“We’re almost there,” he whispered, “but it looks like we may have zombponies.”

“Don’t be ridiculous! Zombponies don’t exist!” Twilight laughed.

A moan echoed down the hall as shuffling hoofsteps signaled the fact that Twilight was wrong.

“Get ready everyone. It looks like we may have company.” Nightsong called as the first zombpony shuffled around the corner.

Eight zombponies shuffled down the corridor as the group readied themselves. The undead creatures were dressed in the uniforms of the old Nightguard, which clanked loudly as they moved. Their mouths hung open in impatient moaning, and blood dripped from their teeth. Their eyesockets were empty, black pits that conveyed no emotion, and their manes and coats had long since begun to rot away, revealing muscle, bone, and, in some cases, brain matter to the outside world.

Applejack charged passed the startled black unicorn, racing towards the incoming group of zombponies. She jumped, flipping in the air so her hind legs were facing towards the undead. She kicked out, knocking the destroyed body of the former guard back to the wall on the other side of the walkways. Suddenly, she lost her balance, and fell on her face. As she tried to stand, she saw another zombie bearing down on her, its jaws only inches from her throat. She closed her eyes, braced for death.

Suddenly, a loud explosion rocked the walkway. Applejack opened her eyes in time to see the undead soldier blasted away by a cake. She turned to see Pinkie, her party cannon smoking while she leaned on it, appearing to examine her hoofs. “That’s how we do tings in Baltimare.” The pink party pony sayed in a fair imitation of a Baltimare accent.

Applejack smiled. “Thanks, Pinkie. “ The pink earth pony’s reply was cut short, however, when another of the zombponies stumbled around the other side of her party cannon and lurched at her. She shrieked, jumping over the undead creature and running behind Twilight, who appeared to concentrating on a spell. Suddenly, there was a flash of light, and three balls of blue fire floated lazily from the purple unicorn’s horn to three of the remaining undead guards, who then promptly exploded into ash.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were surrounded by four. The cyan pegasus’s eyes gleamed. She flew up before diving at one of the undead creatures, delivering a powerful kick that completely destroyed the thing’s head. She turned back to see Fluttershy cowering as the other three zombponies closed in on her. There was no time for Rainbow to get back to help the pink-maned Pegasus, and she could only watch as the zombies shuffled forward.

Suddenly, Nightsong was there, his sword leading as he cut the head off one of the undead creatures. As the head flew off, the red maned unicorn used his sword the bat it at one of the two remaining zombies, bowling it over. The fourth he grabbed in his telekinesis, throwing it to the raging Everfree River below.

“Thanks for saving her.” Rainbow said as she flew over to the two. Fluttershy could only stammer out her thanks, still cowering.

Suddenly, a blood curdling shriek echoed down the walkway. All the ponies turned to see Rarity, pressed against the wall and surrounded by zombies. It was clear she had held her own in the assault, as three fresh corpses surrounded her, but three undead still remained. One of them had bitten her leg, and was hanging there as she tried to shake it off. The other two weren’t yet close enough to bite her, but it was clear they would be before any of the ponies could save the white unicorn.

Rarity screamed again as pain lanced up her foreleg, causing spots to appear in her vision. She kicked out with her other leg and heard a satisfying crunch as it connected with something. Suddenly, the weight was gone from her leg. She sighed in relief before another wave of pain rolled over her. The last thought she had before she blacked out was At least my Spikey-wikey isn’t here to see this…

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

“No! Rarity!” Spike ran around the library, his claws tearing chunks out of the tree.

“Spike? Are you all right in there?” Mrs.Cake’s voice rang through the library. Business had been kind of slow lately, so she had left her husband in charge of Sugar Cube Corner while she checked on Spike, as Twilight had asked her to do every so often to make sure he hadn’t destroyed the library.

“No! Rarity! Danger! Hurt!” Spike threw open the door, trying to run out the door past Mrs.Cake, who grabbed him before he could step over the threshold.

“Oh no you don’t. The Everfree Forest is too dangerous a place for a baby dragon. You are staying here. I’m sure Rarity is fine. Now, look at the mess you’ve made of this library! I expect it to be back to normal by the time I come to put you to bed tonight!”

“Yes, ma’am…” Spike walked off to get the cleaning supplies, grumbling all the way. Mrs. Cake smiled as she headed home. What a devoted boy.

Author's Note:

Hey, guys! Sorry this took so long. I've been working on this for MONTHS trying to get it right, and here are the results! Big cliffhanger, huh?

Btw, I'm looking for someone to help me write some music for a later chapter of the story. PM if you're interested! I've already got some lyrics, I'm having trouble with the notes.