• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 29,685 Views, 1,399 Comments

A Dark Knight for Equestria - Onomonopia

  • ...
50
 1,399
 29,685

Voices in my Head

Ponyville library.

The mane six and Batman had returned to the library. Spike had been over joyed to see them all safe and wanted to hear every single detail of what happened at the temple. His smile fell, however, as he heard about the deadly traps and the risk they all took. He gasped when he heard that Rarity was almost struck by an arrow and how Batman had taken it for her. The part with Morgaine and the battle with the giant statue really got to him, as he thought of how close some of his friends came to dying.

"I guess the mission was a bust, huh?" he said after hearing about how Morgaine had gotten away with the staff.

"Well, at least all of us are safe," Rarity said, giving Batman an appreciative glance. Spike gave Batman a very grateful glance.

"Thank you," Spike said.

"Why is everyone thanking me?" Batman grumbled.

"Because you saved Twilight, you saved Rarity; you even got Rainbow Dash out of a really bad spot," Spike said with emotion.

"Hey, it's not my fault. The statue cheated," Rainbow said with some heat.

"Dash, you head-butted a rock. I'm pretty sure that's on you," AJ said with a smile.

"And what did you do to it? Oh right, nothing!" While Rainbow and Applejack began to argue, Spike asked Twilight an important question.

"So what do we tell Celestia?"

Twilight took a deep breath. "We tell her the truth. We tell her we failed."

"Should I get your quill and paper?" Spike asked nervously.

"No, Spike. I'll deliver the explanation to her personally because...I'm going to be in Canterlot for a while."

"WHAT?!" everypony except Batman exclaimed. Twilight would be leaving them?

"But, why?" Spike asked with tears in his eyes. "Is it because I snore? Or that I use your books to keep the table balanced, because I can change! I can change!"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "No Spike, it's not you. It's Trixie." Everyone gathered around Twilight, waiting to hear her reasoning. "When we were in the temple, I used one of my most powerful spells on Trixie and she had no problem deflecting it. Her powers seemed to have gotten stronger since her last appearance in Ponyville. And I'm sure that one day I'm going to face her again. So I want Celestia to train me until my magical powers can contend with Trixie's." The other ponies all looked at each other with worried glances, none of them saying anything.

"I agree," Batman said at last. "If Trixie's main goal is to defeat you, you'll need to be ready for her."

"But what about the library?" Fluttershy asked.

"As much as I hate to say this," Twilight muttered, turning to face Batman, "I want you to look after Spike and the library while I'm gone." Batman raised his eyebrows at what she said.

"Are you sure?" Batman asked her carefully.

"Well, yesterday I would've asked one of the girls to look after it, but after what we went through in the temple...I'm starting to think Fluttershy's right about you not being all bad. So I've decided to trust you."

"You'll still want us t' check up on him, ah reckon?" Applejack asked with a sly smile.

"Naturally," Twilight responded.

"I don't believe it! I get to spend my time in the library talking to Batman instead of having to reorganize every ten minutes?! This is awesome!" Spike yelled out, running around the room.

"Will I have time to throw you a goodbye party?" Pinkie asked Twilight with sad eyes.

"Sorry Pinkie, but I don't think so." Twilight responded.

Pinkie started crying and put Twilight in a death hug. Batman was surprised that Twilight would trust him so soon after just meeting him. Fluttershy standing up for him, Twilight trusting her home to him; what was the world coming-

'Batman? Batman can you hear me?' said a voice.

"Fate?!" Batman yelled out in disbelief. The ponies all jumped at his sudden outburst and looked at him oddly.

'Batman, thank goodness I was able to contact you. I'm glad to see you're alive.'

"How are you talking to me?" Batman asked. Now the ponies were worried about him.

"Um, who are you talking to?" Rainbow asked.

"A voice in my head. Be quiet!" Batman snapped.

"Why am ah not surprised," AJ muttered as Batman went back to talking with Fate.

'I detected a portal anomaly in this section of the infiniverse while I was looking for your whereabouts. I stumbled upon Grundy being forced back to our world, so I assumed you were responsible. But some very powerful magic prevented me from talking to you. I have spent a full two days trying to get a hold of you.' Dr. Fate explained.

"Fate, Morgaine is here and she's up to her old tricks. Can you get me back to the cave or send reinforcements here?" Batman asked.

'Unfortunately, no. Whatever magic protects the world you're in, it prevents me from opening a portal to it. You will need another one of those dimensional stones if you hope to return.'

"Damn," Batman muttered, trying to think of what else to do." How's Gotham?"

'Robin and Etrigan are defending it. Superman has also given them a hand from time to time. He was a little worried when he came to meet me, but I assured him that even the grim reaper couldn't stop you. Where are you, if you don't mind me asking?"

Batman turned to look at the ponies. "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you. Inform Robin, Superman and Oracle of my situation. Morgaine is still here and I still have to stop her, even if I don't have backup."

'Will do. Good luck with your battle.'

'Is this a private chat or can anyone join?' Pinkie's voice said inside Batman's head.

'Um, who was that?'

"Don't ask," Batman muttered as Fate vanished.

"What was that?" Twilight asked at last. "Who is Fate?"

"Dr. Fate," Batman began, "is a sorcerer. He is an ally of mine and arguably even more powerful than Morgaine." The ponies eyes widened. "He was using telepathy to speak directly into my mind."

"And what did he tell ya?" AJ asked.

"He was telling me I'm on my own. He cannot open another portal without a dimensional stone, so no other league members, none of my other gadgets; I'm going to have to rely on brains and luck."

"That sounds bad."

"Trust me, I've fought with a lot less in my corner."

"What's Gotham?" Pinkie asked. "It sounds like a fun place."

"Gotham is my home," he answered. "It is a city filled with scum, villainy and corruption. I am its protector. I battle the evil that plagues my city every night."

"Why would ya do that?" Applejack asked.

"Wouldn't you fight against an evil that tried to take your home?" Fluttershy answered for him.

"Yeah, ah guess ah would," AJ answered with a shrug.

"Anyway, it's about time to head off for Canterlot," Twilight said, enveloping herself in a massive distance teleportation spell. "See you girls later." The ponies covered their eyes as a blinding flash filled the room, indicating Twilight had left. The ponies said goodbye to Batman and headed out to their homes. Batman remembered he had a promise to keep, so he headed for the school yard.

======----========

Batman was once again in a tree overlooking the school. And he was not happy with what he saw.

The situation at the school yard was similar to the one he had seen yesterday. A circle of foals, with Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara in the center of it. Diamond was once again taunting Scootaloo, who stood silent with a look of hatred in her eyes. Using detective vision to look inside the school, Batman saw a filly distracting the teacher so that she was oblivious to the events going on outside.

"What's the matter blank flank, not even going to speak? Or do you know that I'm right," tiara said with a smile. Scootaloo stayed silent even though she looked like she wanted to explode. Her friends, Sweetie Belle and Ribbon (Batman hadn't figured out her name yet) were giving Tiara a look almost as menacing as Scootaloo's. Tiara had place herself between Scootaloo and the schoolyard exit to Ponyville, forcing Scootaloo to listen to her.

"Come on, at least say SOMETHING. You're making this way to easy."

"Listen here, Diamond Tiara," Ribbon spoke up, shaking with rage. "I have half a mind to-"

"Applebloom, stop," Scootaloo said, placing a hoof on her friends chest. "She isn't worth our time."

Batman smiled inwardly at what Scootaloo said. 'So you really are taking my advice to heart.'

"Not worth your time?" Diamond Tiara said in shock. "I am more important than all three of you combined!"

"Come on girls, let's go crusading," Scootaloo said to her friends, ignoring Tiara. That made the pink filly even angrier.

"Oh no, you're not going anywhere," she snarled placing herself between the friends and the exit, unwilling to move. That was, until a voice from behind her nearly made her faint.

"Is there a problem?"

Diamond Tiara slowly turned around and found she was looking at one very angry Batman. Her pupils shrunk to the size of peas and she tried to make herself as small as possible. Everypony in the schoolyard was having a similar reaction, trying to hide or make themselves seem smaller. Scootaloo, however, was overjoyed to see Batman again.

"Batman!" she yelled with a huge grin, running past a terrified Diamond Tiara. "What are you doing here?"

"What's going on now?" he asked, eyeing all the foals. Each lowered their head as his gaze was cast over them.

"Oh nothing much, Tiara and I were just having a talk," Scootaloo said with a smile.

"W-what are you?" Diamond Tiara whispered. Before Batman could answer, Scootaloo spoke for him.

"Oh, this is Batman. You know, the guy that beat the ELEMENTS of HARMONY in the forest. He was also responsible for the defeat of SOLOMON GRUNDY," Scootaloo said with an evil smile, watching as Diamond Tiara's face got whiter and whiter. "Also," Scootaloo said in a whisper. "I hear he likes to eat foals."

That was enough for Tiara. Screaming as loud as she could, she took off towards Ponyville. The other foals followed her lead, each of them running home as fast as they could. Scootaloo was on her back, doubled over from how hard she was laughing. Only her two friends stayed with her.

"I noticed you didn't tell her the truth," Batman said to Scootaloo, giving her a stern look.

"And I noticed," Scootaloo replied shakily, still laughing to herself, "that you didn't bother to correct me."

"Fair enough," Batman replied with a small smile. He looked over at Sweetie Belle and Applebloom, neither of whom had moved since Batman had arrived. They flinched from under his gaze, until Scootaloo spoke up.

"Come on girls, don't be afraid. He's a friend of mine." At Scootaloo's insistence, the two cautiously made their ways over to Batman. The stared at him for a minute before Sweetie Belles spoke up.

"You're the one who cut off my sister's mane, right?" That was not how he wanted this conversation to start.

"Yes, I did," he replied honestly. Much to his surprise, the young filly broke out in a huge grin.

"You have no idea how funny it was to see Rarity run around without her mane, all the while swearing she would destroy you!" Sweetie Belle said happily, tears welling up in her eyes at the thought of the funny memory. "I thought she would stay inside our home forever, she was so embarrassed."

'These ponies have a weird way of showing their affection for each other,' Batman thought to himself.

"So Batman," Scootaloo began, causing Batman to look at her. "Would you like to come over to our tree house to go crusading with us? Applebloom found something you might want to see."

Applebloom reached inside her bag and pulled out Spike's book on heroes. Batman raised an eyebrow when he saw it.

"Where did you get that?" he asked.

"Well, ah was helping Rarity with her new fashion design a few days ago," Applebloom began, shuddering at the thought of standing still while she modeled, "when Spike had come in to see if Rarity needed help with anything. He had set the book down on a table while he talked to her, trying to cheer her up about the loss of her mane. He forgot it when he left, so ah picked it up. Ah've been holding onto it ever since."

"So whadda say, Batman? You want to come with us?" Batman figured that his time would probably be better spent trying to find more information on Morgaine, but as he looked into the fillies eye's, he found he just couldn't say no.

"Alright, let's go," he said, giving in. The three fillies began cheering and raced off to their clubhouse.

======-------=======

The clubhouse was too small for Batman, so the CMC decided they would sit outside on the grass. The Cutie Mark Crusaders had cracked open the book and flipped through it until they got to Batman's page. Batman flinched inwardly when he saw that the fillies had some questions for him.

"So you really do fight against crime in your world?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Yes." He was going to be brief. He hated being questioned.

"What's a 'vigilante'?" Applebloom asked.

"A vigilante is someone who works outside the law in order to preserve justice and protect others."

"Don't you have guards that do that kind of thing for you?" Scootaloo asked.

Batman sighed. "My city's...guards can be bought, judges can be threatened, and witnesses can go missing. I often need to work outside the law in order to save lives." He watched the fillies reactions to his answer, already knowing what to expect. The fillies were too young to understand how justice could be achieved if you broke the law. They would learn with time that all things weren't black and white.

"Alright then, let's keep goin'," Applebloom muttered, looking back down at the page. She was scanning it until she saw a line that made her eyes go wide. Slowly, she looked up at Batman.

"Applebloom, what's wrong?" Scootaloo asked.

"I don't believe it," Applebloom whispered. "YOU'RE A CRUSADER?!"

"Excuse me?" Batman asked in confusion.

"Yeah, it says right here that yer a 'Caped Crusader'. So yer a crusader, like us!" The other two crusaders rushed over to Applebloom to see if she was telling the truth.

"You're crusaders?" Batman asked in pure disbelief.

"Yeah, we're the Cutie Mark Crusaders! We crusade for cutie marks, hence our name!" Sweetie Belle explained. "So if you’re a caped crusader, does that mean you crusade for capes?"

"Two things. First; no, I do not crusade for capes. I'm called the caped crusader because of my crusade against crime and that I wear a cape," Batman explained. "Second; what is a cutie mark?"

"A cutie mark is what a ponies special talent is," Applebloom explained with a crestfallen face. "That's why we crusade for them. We're trying to find out what our special talent is."

Batman began to piece the puzzle together. "So that's what Diamond Tiara meant when she called you a 'blank flank'. It was meant as an insult."

"Yeah and it really hurts," Sweetie replied angrily.

"She wants to see you riled up. The best thing to do is ignore her," he said, turning to Scootaloo. "Just like you did."

"Yep, I decided that you were right and that I wouldn't let her get to me," Scootaloo said with a smile, realizing what that meant. "And that means you have to teach me some of the martial arts."

"Yes, I suppose I do," Batman said wearily.

"Wait a sec, ah just had a brilliant idea!" Applebloom exclaimed, facing Batman. "We have capes and you have a cape. We're crusaders and yer a crusader."

"And your point is?" Scootaloo asked.

"We should be the Cutie Mark Caped Crusaders!" Applebloom exclaimed with a huge smile. The other two fillies instantly agreed.

"Yeah, that actually sounds really cool!" Scootaloo exclaimed.

"I could make capes that look like yours Batman!" Sweetie Belle chimed in. Batman watched as the three began talking amongst themselves in a very happy tone. He was amazed that they could get anything done with their short attention spans. After a minute, Batman motioned for Scootaloo to join him. She walked over and sat down in front of him.

"I believe I have something of yours," he said to her, pull her charm out of his belt and handing it to her.

"You remembered!" she smiled, looking at the charm. She went to take it, then stopped.

"What's the matter?" he asked her.

"It's not that I don't want it back," she said with some hesitation. "But from what Fluttershy told me, your going to be in even more danger. So I want you to keep it until you're done with your mission."

"Are you sure? This charm means a lot to you."

"Certain." she smiled at him.

"Alright then. Now, about your training..." he said, placing the charm back in his belt.

"Oh, right, the training. So, what are we going to do first? Flying dragon attack? Spinning crescent kick?"

"Breathing," Batman answered bluntly. Scootaloo gave him an odd look.

"What do you mean 'breathing'?"

"I mean learning to control your breathing; learning control."

"How does that help me learn martial arts?"

"Control is very important. Controlling your body so you can move the way you want. Controlling your emotions so you remain level headed. And controlling your opponent so there's nothing they can do to stop you." Batman began to show her breathing techniques, which Scootaloo mimicked. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle watched as the training began.

====-----========

The moon had just begun to rise when Batman finally made it back to the library. Scootaloo was a talented foal and a fast learner. She listened to everything he said, absorbing his teachings like a sponge. After about an hour of practice, he walked Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle to their houses, while only escorting Applebloom to the outskirts of the apple orchard. He still remembered the warning that Applejack had given him about her family members.

He opened the door and walked inside, finding most the lights to be off. He heard snoring in the room and saw Spike asleep at the table. Apparently he had fell asleep waiting for him. Batman put the book that Applebloom had returned to him on the table and headed into the basement, sitting down against the wall. He thought back to what the Staff of Destiny had shown him in the temple. Was that his destiny? To lose to Morgaine and to allow this peaceful world to fall into slavery? After fighting some of the most dangerous creatures to ever bother his world he was going to lose to her? Batman just didn't know. He pulled Scootaloo's charm out of his belt and held it in his hand.

'So far you seem to be working. Let's see if that'll continue in the future.'

=====----========

Morgaine's Castle.

"Master Morgaine, may I ask what are you doing?" Trixie said. Morgaine had the Staff of Destiny in a magical spell, morphing it beyond Trixie's imagination. Under Morgaine's magic, the staff's handle turned into a shining black blade and the top turned into a handle with a ruby in the hilt. When the transformation was complete, Morgaine grasped the sword by the hilt and examined it, pleased with her work.

"Master, what is that?"

"This my dear Trixie, is the Sword of Destiny. It is similar to the Staff of Destiny, except it is a much better weapon and it lets me see other peoples destinies." Morgaine said with a smile, bringing the blade up to her eyes.

"Now, show me Batman's destiny." The blade obeyed and a moment later, images of Batman's future were being placed into Morgaine's mind. Upon seeing his future, she began to laugh, slowly at first, but her laughing grew louder until the entire castle rang with it. Trixie was unnerved, but at the same time intrigued.

"What did it show you?"

Morgaine turned to Trixie with a smile. "It showed me our victory is certain."