• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 456 Views, 7 Comments

Shadowtrot: A New Harmony - LuZeke



The unicorn Ruby seeks to uncover the truth of what happened centuries ago.

  • ...
 7
 456

Prologue

His hat and coat felt heavy from the added weight of the rain. The rain fell heavy that day. It always did when he came here. Normally it was a beautiful place, with lush greenery and vibrant flowers. The rain, however, drowned out the color of the place, leaving it cold and grim. He never found himself here on sunny days. Maybe that told him something about himself? He shrugged. It didn't matter.

He had a fair bit to go before he was there. The long alleys and winding paths of the place were decorated with various ornamental miniature gardens, gazebos and statues. Including that. He never liked going past it, but he always forced himself to.

At the halfway point he turned a corner and there it was. Covered in moss and vines was a stony figure of a bizarre agglomeration of various animals, forever contorted in a pose of anger and mocking defiance.

"I'll never understand why they keep you here." He said to the thing. His voice filled with contempt.

With a huff he turned in place and continued on his way, unaware of the slight crack running along the statue's side.

A while later he arrived at the part of the garden he was headed for. A large ornate gate separated it from the rest of the place. He pushed it open, the heavy gate creaking from neglect. He remembered when there used to be guards by this gate, and when the gate didn't creak. He entered and slowly shut the gate behind him.

He walked along quietly, as to not disturb the other visitors, though few they were. He knew the way by heart, but he always counted the rows of headstones as he passed by. It somehow made the approach easier,
he felt.

Eventually he stopped in front of a black headstone. Slightly larger than the others and within its own little alcove, an obsidian headstone was placed.

"I'm sorry I don't come by more often." He spoke softly. "But I would never miss your birthday, Sis... Mom..."

He stifled a sob, reflexively pulling on the brim of his hat. "Geez, it's been several hundred years and I still don't know what to call you..."

In his claws he held a simple bouquet of daffodils and daisies. He gently laid it on top of the headstone.

"They always were your favourite." He smiled.

He stood in place for a while, reminiscing, listening to the rain smattering against the stoned path, drowning out any other noise. He never kept track of how much time he spent there. He always stayed until he either felt that horrible sense of calm, or when crippling emotions of grief, guilt and sadness washed over him. He enjoyed neither, but always welcomed them openly. Today was going to be one of those crippling days. As if on cue the feelings came roaring, and he stood there and took it all in.

The carving on the shining black stone in front of him read:

Here lies Twilight Sparkle

"I miss you." He whispered.