• Published 25th Oct 2012
  • 2,213 Views, 57 Comments

Nothing Gold Can Stay - TheOnly



Twilight must leave

  • ...
19
 57
 2,213

Stay Golden

Through the crevices between the branches of the evergreen trees shown the last slivers of golden light, illuminating the landscape and producing long, lanky shadows. As the sun set into its cradle its palette and brush of light made wispy strokes in the sky, smearing lines of orange, red, and yellow onto the blue canvas. Life itself was preparing for slumber, the creatures of the daylight getting ready to rest and the creatures of the night not quite awake yet. It was a silent bliss that covered the landscape and added to the peaceful nature of it all. Although most life had found its nest or den to retreat to for the night, two creatures remained on the land, their eyes locked and mouths hung slightly ajar, as if words wished to come out but failed to. In the stillness of this moment, these creatures -- ponies -- took long, cool breaths and watched each other, one facing the other, as if they were looking into a mirror and feared ruining the image by moving. Their shadows were cast far into the forest that stood erect in front of them.

One of these ponies carried a saddlebag upon her purple fur, a pony whom was beckoned to by "Twilight Sparkle". The other carried no burden upon her soft, groomed white fur, a mare whom was called "Rarity".

In this mediator of afternoon and night that the sun created, the ponies stood still, their gazes piercing the others, their untrained mouths unable to pierce the silence. In front of them was the dark forest, no longer a recipient of the sunlight as it sank lower into the horizon, shrubbery lining the forest floor and idle calls of an owl making their way to the outside on the back of a stand of wind.

It seemed like minutes were no longer being counted, hours frozen still, as these two ponies faced off with the expectance that the other would break their silence. As they stood, the sun continued to sink lower, and the shadows grew even longer. Twilight knew that before long that shadows would be nothing but part of the larger darkness that swallowed the land, and the light would be sucked from the area and replaced with the cold, hazy illumination of the moon.

Finally, as if an obstruction had been lifted from her throat, Rarity spoke.

"You don't have to do this."

Her words filled the air, hovering around Twilight and causing her ears to perk up. Twilight's gaze softened as her mind shifted from her gaze to thinking of a response.

"No," she said,"I have to do this." Twilight's voice was solemn, and she almost broke her stare as she spoke the words.

"I cannot let you do this," said Rarity, her voice feigning an air of command and firmness. The emotion of the situation was hidden behind the words and the tone, it was an unspoken understanding. Both ponies tried to maintain their composure under the conditions the situation put them under, and the emotion in their voices suffered from it. Neither wanted to let the other know their true feelings, but their masks were thin.

"I'm sorry Rarity, but there's no other option," said Twilight, her eyes finally closing and breaking the gaze that she had held for so long. Rarity could not tell, but Twilight's eyelid just barely caught a tear, keeping it from rolling onto her cheek.

"We can talk about this, we can fix this," stammered Rarity. Her own tears were welling up underneath her eye, but a quick blink took care of that.

Twilight was silent. Her mind was a jumble of memories, conversations, arguments, her recent past flashed before her as she thought about Rarity's words.

"No. It's too late." Twilight took a step towards the forest, but Rarity's outstretched hoof kept her from proceeding any further.

Twilight tried to push through but Rarity stood firm, keeping Twilight at bay. Eventually, Twilight gave up her efforts and retracted her step, returning to her previous position.

"Twilight, we have been friends ever since you came to Ponyville," said Rarity, her voice quivering. "And I could not imagine Ponyville without you. You don't have to go."

Twilight gave a hard, long stare towards Rarity. Then, she turned to look behind herself. The sun had already set. The bright colors that had lined the horizon were gone, and the darkness of night took its place. Glimmering among the darkness were the first few stars, the pioneers who awaited the arrival of their infinite brothers in the night sky.

With a deep sigh Twilight turned back to Rarity. Her eyes were brimming with tears, her heart was heavy, and a conscious choice of words seemed to fail her. In that moment, she no longer spoke what she wished to, but what her heart deemed necessary. As if by impulse, Twilight spoke.

"Rarity, behind me lays the past. I will never be able to take back what I have done. My actions are forever ingrained in the earth, not in the wind. Should I ever return they will still be there, unlike the wind which is fickle, which will be somewhere else by tomorrow. No, Rarity, this is not a decision I made based on my desires. This is a decision I made on my principles. You know that if I could, if the deepest recesses of my heart would let me, I would stay in Ponyville. Why would I ever make a choice that would separate me from my friends if I did not have to. I wish that I could stay, I wish that I could remain in Ponyville with you and the others, but the past is ineradicable. Even if I used a time spell and attempted to change what I had done, what kind of pony would that make me? How could I sleep at night knowing I changed my own actions to cover up my own mistakes, to compromise my own morals just for my benefit and ease? Every day I would have to deal with the fact that the life I live is a lie, something that I crafted with my own hooves rather than the natural course of time. I could not do that, Rarity. This is why I must leave. I must do what my principles dictate, because I am nothing without them. I hope you can understand."

Twilight wiped away a tear and turned away for a moment, brushing her eyes in privacy. She did not want Rarity to think she was weak. Rarity held back her tears, too. This entire time she knew it was inevitable, that Twilight had to leave, but she knew she had to try. To let her best friend leave her without any opposition would be to compromise her own morals, but Rarity knew that her efforts had come to a close. Now it was time to let go.

With defining steps, Twilight strode forward, on towards the depths of the forests where her heart led her. As she passed Rarity she could here her audible sniffles and see the tears streaming down her face.

"Wait! I just have one last thing to say," said Rarity between sniffles, almost choking on her own words. Twilight stopped and faced her friend, her own tears streaming down her face, leaving wet lines. They held each others gaze for a short moment, and Rarity wished it could last forever, but she knew Twilight needed to be on her way. She gave a couple more loud sniffles and wiped away a tear. With the last of her strength, she managed to say her parting words to Twilight.

"Twilight," she started,"You have always been my best friend, but I could not think of a more appropriate time than now to say, I need some money, do you have about tree fiddy?"

It was about this time that Twilight realized that Rarity was actually five hundred feet tall and from the paleolithic era.

"God damn loch ness monster, I ain't given you no tree fiddy!" yelled Twilight. Rarity let out her loch ness screech and waddled away into the darkness of the night.

Comments ( 56 )
Comment posted by Regidar deleted Oct 6th, 2013

Mother fucker never did get his tree fiddy

Uhhh....what just happened..? :rainbowhuh:

YES. I APPLAUD YOU FOR THIS AMAZING WORK OF ART BEFORE ME.

Only TheOnly could create something as beautiful as what I have just seen.

Ha. Didn't see that coming.

OH GOD MY SIDES

That made perfect sense.

How I have missed your stories! :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Good to see you're back.

That was random, and now I have the urge to go watch South Park.

I've been using this particular image a bit too much lately, but I think I'll use it again.

1.bp.blogspot.com/-93XptpoYAFA/TrWyqRc135I/AAAAAAAABRA/Ih1b2AmUq4o/s1600/mlp+my+little+pony+meme+bronies+pinkie+pie+brain+is+full+of+fuck+jackie+chan.jpg

At first I was about to cry, then you dropped the tactical WTF nuke and blew all sadness into pure, joyous mirth. Seriously, this is awesome. Going to go read more of your stuff now.

All hail the magical Liopleuridon! :derpyderp2:

She's a reptile? Spike can totally bang her now without it being weird!

....seriously?

1506073 I'm on a break.

:facehoof: I thought this was going to be a sad story.

Umm.... What? :facehoof:

And suddenly South Park. I was actually wondering where the other four (technically five... or six... or- oh screw it!), but with an ending like that, who cares?

--MIGHT SPOIL ENDING, READ ON YOUR OWN RISK!--

Oh dear, haha! This was so unexpected, thanks for shining some comedy onto this evening of reading sad/dark or tragedy stories.

This truly spoke to my random sense of comedy, and .. :rainbowlaugh:
HAHA, sigh, Ive really got to get some sleep.

Btw, isnt that closing line from something like South Park or anything like that? ^^

OH WHAT THE FUCK. :pinkiegasp:

I hate you. I was going to point out the grammar mistakes in the story and give some criticism because I thought it had potential, but... just.... buck you.

Well done. :trollestia:

I..I don't know what I should feel.

Ok, I had to read this again. This was too good.

Also, it made my "Best Comedies" Gallery on my page! :pinkiehappy: Seriously, this was fucking gold!

tehnoly, y u do dis 2 mai sides

You only write these things because they're true. :ajsmug:

BEST. STORY. EVER!!!!

My God...
I think I just broke my laugh box.

Another piece of genius from TheOnly, true greatness is upon us.

W-what?:twilightsheepish:
This is strange.
But I like it.
...though what in the hay just happened?

dat ending :applejackconfused::applejackconfused::applejackconfused:

"Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. "
-Robert Frost, Nothing Gold Can Stay

I know and love this poem by heart. This story, though... It has nothing to do with this...

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I always half-dread reading a sadfic, because although it may be well written, it makes me... well, sad. This fixes that. Just awesome.

Although I think in "a mare whom was called 'Rarity'" should actually use "who" rather than "whom." As a comparison, "who" and "she" are both subjects, whereas "whom" and "her" are objects. If you replace the subject here with "she" it makes "she was called 'Rarity'," which makes sense. "Her was called 'Rarity'" does not. "Was called" is in the passive voice in this case, meaning that the action is being performed on the subject, but the subject is still a subject. This sort of thing really only comes up in English when it comes to pronouns; you have to deal with it all the time with some other languages such as Latin.

At first I was like :fluttercry:
But then I went :rainbowhuh:

i cried.:fluttercry::fluttercry:












FROM LAUGHING SO MUCH!:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Mindsplosion. Kudos. :rainbowlaugh:
The sheer lack of a random tag totally had me thrown for an unexpected loop....

God damn Loch Ness Monsters. Bastards are always pestering you for money.

What? Robert Frost what? Outsiders reference what? What? Loch Ness monster? What? What? What? What?

You and Fiddlebottoms are the same in the way that you seem to reach a certain point in a story where you realize you're seemingly taking something seriously then just think: "Holy shit! This won't do! Quick put something random and stupid in!!"

1940836 Story was meant to do that from the beginning, was never serious

1941739
Keyword in that statement was "seem". I know you plan to make it silly from square one, it just looks like you're taking a serious route.

1942077 True trollery is done best when a serious story precedes it.

Login or register to comment