• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 6,067 Views, 335 Comments

And Then, Twilight Was a Marine - totallynotabrony



Exactly what it sounds like

  • ...
29
 335
 6,067

Of Course, Rainbow Was a Coastie

“Sorry about ruining your Labor Day, Dashiell, but we really need you out here.”

Rainbow jerked awake, raising her head from the pillow. A tall creature standing on two legs was staring at her. Several seconds passed as vague memories and half-remembered dreams filtered through her head. She realized that she must be looking at a human, and remembered that it was important to learn about her situation.

Exactly how she had gotten to this bed, and where the bed was located, remained a mystery, but Rainbow decided that if she played it cool and made smart choices she could complete her mission here and bring back valuable material for contributing to the solving the enigma that the Elements of Harmony had found themselves tangled up in.

“Um, hello? You okay?” asked the human when Rainbow still hadn’t answered. Based on his voice, she decided that he was probably male.

Rainbow shook her head. “Sorry, zoned out there for a second. What do you need me for?”

“We’re just about to start for the day. I know you were supposed to have a nice Labor Day leave, and you were out partying last night, but it looks like we need you today. I know it sucks, you didn’t plan for this, and I hope you aren’t hung over.”

“No, I’m good,” Rainbow replied. The man left. She lifted the covers and got out of the bed. She was wearing some sort of blue uniform with the name Dashiell on it.

She heard a faint sound that built into a dull roar with high-pitched undertones. It seemed to be coming from overhead, and outside. A few seconds passed and it faded away. Rainbow frowned. What could have made that kind of noise? It sounded fast.

Rainbow knew that her, or rather Dashiell’s, presence had been requested, but looked around for a few moments to gather more information. A few pictures of strange machines had been taped up and she quickly memorized them in case it turned out to be important information.

Now that she’d had more time to think, memories were coming back. Her friends had been having strange dreams about a mysterious land of people and their military. Apparently, it was Rainbow’s turn.

Once they’d learned what to expect, the ponies had formed a plan to gather intelligence about how to proceed. Rainbow had decided to impersonate her counterpart, in an attempt to go undercover and figure out what was going on. She grinned to herself. This was going to be awesome.

She opened the door and stepped outside, nearly falling into the ocean. Glancing wildly around, Rainbow saw that she was standing on the deck of a boat, tied up to the pier next to the coast.

Rainbow remembered what else had been on her uniform, besides the name tag. Huh, so this must be what “Coast Guard” means.

The noise from the sky came back. Rainbow looked up to see a large contraption with four spinning propellers. It was painted white and orange and flew through the air faster than most pegasi could manage. From the pictures near her bed, Rainbow remembered that it was a C-130 Hercules. The distinctive sound of the turboprops echoed in her ears.

Nearby, a smaller vehicle with one spinning rotor on top, a HH-65 Dolphin, was hovering over the water. People seemed to be jumping out of it and getting winched back up again for practice.

“So…awesome,” Dash managed to say, barely suppressing a squee.

“Hey, Dashiell! Come do this paperwork!”

And that’s when Rainbow realized that this infiltration mission would not be so neat after all.

She slunk across the deck and entered the boat’s office. A few people were doing paperwork with all the enthusiasm that those denied vacation could muster. Dash felt their pain.

The forms turned out to be travel requests for those who had gone somewhere. They were not too difficult to process, and all Rainbow had to do was stamp and date them the way the official publication said.

The manual was fairly straightforward, provided one had a law degree and a personality more boring than average. But it was the book, and the book was always correct. As long as you followed instructions to the letter, no fault could be found with your work. Rainbow requisitioned a pen and set to work.

She kept her eyes moving, hoping that something valuable would pop out. Mostly, it was just an endless chain of paperwork and printed instructions. It was so repetitive that she began to lose track of where one form ended and the others began, yet managed to work out a system that everything kept ticking along perfectly. The manual demanded it.

“Why did I get myself into this,” Rainbow muttered.

“Someone has to,” one of her fellow paper-pushers reminded her. “For every person out there doing cool stuff, the paperwork still has to be filed by someone. Thankless work maybe, but it’s what the government is built on.”

The entire paperwork crew began to sing.

When I was four there was a hurricane in Kingston Town

With a foot and a half of water

Everyone was alright, but I cried all night

It blew my alphabet blocks out of order

And they say

This boy’s born to be a bureaucrat

Born to be all obsessive and snotty

I made my friends and relations fill long applications

To get into my tenth birthday party!

Rainbow pretended to sing along, but had started to sweat with the effort of maintaining her cover. She excused herself and went out the door.

The fresh air was nice, but Rainbow knew she couldn’t dawdle for too long or someone might get suspicious. Still, if she was going to learn anything while on this boat, she would prefer it to be sooner rather than later.

Another door looked promising and Rainbow entered. Inside she found a passageway with a few more doors. One of them had a very fancy looking lock on it. Despite that, it was propped open.

Rainbow pushed it open wider, stepping inside. Someone was already there, sitting in front of a computer. According to his nametag, he was Nelson. “Hey Dashiell. Need a SIPR computer?”

“Sure,” she replied. Of course! If humans had anything like the ponynet, this would be perfect for finding information.

“Okay, just sign in.” Nelson pushed a piece of paper at her. It was a form for recording date, time, and the name of whoever accessed the computers. Rainbow didn’t know Dashiell’s first name but took a gamble and made an illegible scribble. It wasn’t like anyone actually read these forms; they were just regulation paperwork.

Nelson locked the door. “Okay, you're good for secret access.” He went back to whatever he was working on. His computer had a green bar at the top of the screen that read “unclassified.”

Rainbow sat down in front of another computer. This one had a red bar that indicated “secret.” She grinned. This was exactly what she was looking for.

A small sticker on the computer asked her to login with a card. Rainbow began going through her pockets furtively, finding an ID with Dashiell’s name and picture. There was a small chip embedded in it. Sliding the card into the computer produced a screen asking for the password.

Rainbow frowned, looking down at the keyboard. She put one hoof on it and pressed down, resulting in a jumble of scrambled characters.

Pressing enter, however, indicated that it was correct. Rainbow blinked in surprise. Evidently, Dashiell had adopted the instinctive pony way of using a keyboard. Interesting. Also, lucky.

Taking a few minutes to orient herself with both the human-adapted mouse and unfamiliar operating system, Rainbow began clicking through things. There was not much on the computer itself, but after connecting to the network, a search box was displayed on the screen. After thinking for a moment, she typed “ponies.”

A screen of links about the pony transformation program popped up and Rainbow went through them one by one. There was some good information here, but most of it things she already knew, like the existence of magic or flight. There was a list of contact information, but she didn’t click on any of the names. It was quite extensive, and Rainbow wondered how many ponies she knew might have counterparts here.

Deciding what to search next, Rainbow typed “Chinese.” Quite a few more results came up this time. After hunting for a moment, she clicked on an overview. This took her to a page of basic information and news.

Most of the news contained stories about hacking, new military technology, and geopolitical announcements. Rainbow skimmed the articles.

In her poking around, Rainbow had discovered a spreadsheet program on the computer and began making a chart of information she already had and things that she didn’t. It helped organization and Rainbow had to begrudgingly admit that proper procedure got things done.

It would have helped if Rainbow knew more about the type of information that she and her friends needed, but she also knew that she was laying the groundwork for the others to learn more. It might not have been so dazzling, but somepony had to do it.

The door rattled in its frame as someone tried to come in. A heavy knocking sounded. “Rainbow Dash, are you in there?”

Nelson looked up from his desk and glanced at Rainbow. “Wait, you’re the alter ego and didn’t tell anyone? In this secure room?”

He quickly got up and opened the door. A crowd of angry coasties poured in. “She’s not Dashiell! Get her!”

Rainbow stopped them with an outstretched hoof. “You can’t just come in here and conduct a raid on a pony that you suspect may be an imposter. Read your publications and determine the correct procedure.”

It was a gamble, but a good one. No self-respecting member of the military would ever disobey the manual. Live by the book, die by the book.

And then someone realized that was horse pucky and the entire group charged Rainbow.

She snapped awake in a cold sweat. Breathing hard, Rainbow sat up from her bed.

Her friends stood around her in the basement of the library. Twilight checked her clipboard and noted, “The sleeping potion worked as expected. Tell me, Rainbow. Did the vivid dream additive send you to the other world like it was supposed to?”

“It did,” Rainbow answered. She got up. “Do you have your procedures for the experiment?”

Rainbow quietly hoped that Twilight hadn't done anything...strange while she was asleep. Something was definitely off about Twilight's sex drive. In fact, strange incidents had happened to all her friends. Best to get to the bottom of things properly.

“The procedures are right here,” Twilight replied to Rainbow's question, showing a page of written notes. “If the additive worked on you, I think we’re ready to declare it a success.”

“Not yet, you’ll have to file a procedural application with the Food and Drug Administration in Canterlot. They’ll want a typed copy, signed and stamped as original.”

“So what did you see?” asked Applejack, changing the subject.

“I have new information to add,” Rainbow replied. She recounted what she’d experienced while dreaming.

“I hope Dashiell is okay,” Fluttershy whispered.

Rainbow frowned. “There will probably be lengthy court proceedings, but ultimately nothing can be proven. I do feel kinda bad for doing that, though. Dashiell is going to pay the price for what I did.”

It wasn’t like Rainbow never did anything wrong. Just last week she had downloaded a whole bunch of music without paying for it. That was on her, though, not someone whose body she’d temporarily requisitioned.

“Your foreign counterpart’s sacrifice was worth it,” said Rarity. She shook her head, evidentially still fighting whatever mental changes she had been cursed with. “I mean, it is rather sad, but to solve this we need the information you brought back.”

Rainbow nodded and went over to the chalkboards that Applejack had filled with numbers and figures. “This must be organized.”

Applejack waited a beat. “What now?”

“Yes. You’re going to requisition paper to copy this for reference - typed properly, double spaced - and then reformat the outline on the chalkboards to meet a pre-established organizational plan. Said plan will be laid out ahead of time by a panel of voters and subject matter experts. Refer to the nonfiction section of the library for required definitions.”

“I have this blank chalkboard right here that we can just add what you learned,” said Applejack flatly. “That’s a lot easier and faster.”

Rainbow got in her face. “Do you want it done easy, or do you want it done right?”