• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 1,074 Views, 13 Comments

Final Chain - Dumakey93



Fate can be a strange thing. Fate brings one man's dream into reality. But will the world accept it

  • ...
5
 13
 1,074

An Awakening

John drew a cigarette from his newly opened pack. "It's another beautiful day in...ah, who am I kidding! It's a horrible day! Why does it have to rain on New Year's Day? It sure is a 'great' start to a new year..."

The rain pounded on John's apartment window, with no signs of slowing down. The radio man said his typical rants about the economy and government conspiracies. "Well, it seems that even radio has gone down the political drain. Not that I liked that station anyway." He flipped through more channels, and it was all the same routine, except for an interview about some phenomenon involving grown men and ponies. "Guess this is better than nothing."

After the interview of the 'brony' was over, John kept thinking about why such a show became popular. The show must be good, if grown men like it. Then again, it is a kid's show. Better not think about it, or I'll become a 'brony' myself.

He looked out into the gray sky and took a puff of his cigarette. "Just another day...like all the others." He stood up out of his chair and brushed his suit off with his hands. John adjusted his tie till it fit loosely, and he took in the smell of honey that came from a lit candle. He looked at the pale white walls and shook his head, remembering that he needed to get paint for the walls within the week. Why did she want a party here, of all places, when I clearly haven't finished furbishing my living space. I'll never understand her and the friends she has. They clearly do not understand the concept of an apartment sized room. Anyway, I need to get some paint cans from the store down the road.

The local store was just a block away, within walking distance. I don't need my car, it's barely ten minutes from here. He headed down the five flights of stairs, his feet echoed on every step. Opening the door, he realized that he forgot his umbrella. John decided he didn't need it for such a short walk.

He turned right out the doors of his apartment complex. There were no people on the sidewalk, which was strange. It's a Sunday and it's noontime, why isn't everyone out getting wasted? Oh, it's a holiday, I forgot. Wait, if it's a holiday, then stores would be closed...Might as well get my exercise today. John's cigarette dangled loosely from his lips, and the stench of tobacco grew more intense. He stopped at the intersection to cough, but was stopped by a loud boom. What the hell is that? I'd better go and investigate. John waited till the crossing sign went on, then he went towards where he heard the boom.

He turned into an alleyway, and found the source of the sound. A bomb had gone off, but it mysteriously left no traces of debris or the bomb itself. But I thought...something's really off. I need to get out of this rain, don't want to catch a cold.

John headed back towards his apartment, assuming that someone else reported the boom to the police. He crossed the intersection and went back inside into his room. John didn't want to think about what the bomb was or who set it off, he wanted to forget it. He unlocked his door and opened it, making a creaking sound. John closed the door behind him and turned towards the kitchen. He spotted a blue-haired woman messing with his stereo system.

"What are you doing?" John asked her
"Well, I'm upgrading your sound system of course! I noticed you have some really cool vintage speakers, and I wanted to check it out."
"You must be the DJ for the party this week, right?"
"What are you talking about? I was never scheduled for your party. Besides, I don't even think that your favorite type of music is anything regarding new age stuff."
"I like 'new age' music, just if it has some vocals in it to settle the overpowering base."
"With that suit, I expected you to like classical music, much like a friend of mine."

With that, we discussed more about our musical tastes, and I asked her about where she came from.

"Well, I came from a town called Po-"

A voice came from outside the door, "You know Celestia told us to not tell him that!"

The door opened and a black-haired woman walked into the room. "Hello there, you must be John, I've heard your conversation, and classical music is a better choice."

John knew where this was going, and he wasn't going to have two women fight over music genres in his room.
"Look, we can discuss this later, why don't you ladies settle down for awhile."

The two looked at me and stared me in the face, saying in unison, "Sure, that wouldn't be any awkward for us."
They obviously were being sarcastic, but they had nowhere else to stay, so they accepted the offer.

It grew late at night, and John let them sleep in his room, while he stayed on the couch. Well, I guess being generous once in awhile can be fulfilling. He still wondered how those two women arrived suddenly in his apartment. He wondered if the boom sound from earlier had anything to do with it. I did see a rainbow in the middle of a thunderstorm, but that's normal, right? They can't be related, right? He pondered this for a few moments, then discarded it as a coincidence. With his mental peace restored, John closed his eyes and went to sleep.