• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 2,898 Views, 34 Comments

A Work In Progress - Chivalry



You must cleanse the darkness of your own heart before you try to help others find the light.

  • ...
4
 34
 2,898

Chapter 1: Hush Now, Quiet Now

Chapter One: Hush Now, Quiet Now

In the dark of a cold night, Spike ambled through his home and into the kitchen, taking care to not wake any of the other residence of the home. Once he had reached the room in question, the young dragon set about preparing a glass of warm milk to help calm his fragile nerves. For the past few weeks, his surrogate mother, Twilight Sparkle, had been extremely restless, and for the little time she actually was able to sleep, she muttered things as she tossed and turned. Not only that but whenever she awoke, it was always with a violent start before then she made her way down to the Library level of the house to start reading books on ancient history, magic, and folklore – once she stopped crying, that is.

Putting the milk in a stone pan, Spike then lit a small fire on the stove with a breath of magical fire. Within minutes, the flame brought the milk to a boil. Carefully, he poured the smoldering liquid into two small mugs he had prepared, one for himself, and one for her for when she awoke. He licked his fingertips and extinguished the fire with a practiced ease as he took the two mugs, setting them down on the cool marble tabletop just a few feet away. The sound of the oak chair being dragged against the floor cut through the silence and echoed through home, causing Spike to flinch as he turned his gaze to the upper floors of the house. Attentively, the young dragon listened for any voices or sounds of stirring, hoping that he had not awoken the lavender unicorn from perhaps her longest night of rest since the entire ordeal began.

Content with the silence that followed, Spike released a sigh of relief, and took a seat as he pondered what could have caused this predicament. Soon, the young dragon found himself entranced by the waves of heat rising from the two beverages before him, twisting and mingling with each other before dissipating as the hot steam was finally devoured by the cold. He instinctively held one of his claws over the source of heat, watching as the air danced through his fingers, licking his cold scales with a fiery tongue, reminding him of the only possible answer to his question.

"The Castle…"

One Month Ago…

“C’mon Spike!” the lavender unicorn called, a hint of irritation in her voice.

The purple dragon heaved as he caught up to his friend. Although he had grown a little taller, his legs were still not as long as a normal pony's, making it all that much harder to keep up with Twilight's hastened pace. “Why are we out here in the middle of the night again?”

“I need to find some cinder root for this new experiment and Zecora said that the only place we could find some is in the old castle. Plus it’s far easier to see cinder root at night.” With a flair of her magic, Twilight pulled a small map, using the glow from her horn to study the small diagram. With a satisfied nod, she continued along the path.

“Right, because they glow, but why didn’t she come with us? Do you even know where we are going?” he asked breathlessly as his foot was caught by a rather sneaky root, causing him to stumble into a rather deep puddle of mud. Stupid tree!

“Zecora is helping Fluttershy make some antibiotics for the dogs that came down with kennel cough, and they need far more help than we do,” she said, disheartened at all of the cute little puppies with the terrible respiratory infection. “Plus, we can handle this on our own, for I have a map,” she said, waving the tattered piece of parchment in front of her assistant. “Now hurry up, Spike.”

Spike admired her personal drive and want to improve her skills, but he thought that it was ill advised at times. “I just don’t understand why we didn’t bring the others with us. They could have helped us look,” he stated as the lavender mare trotted across the rickety bridge that led to the castle walls.

“I know, but I thought it would be fun. You know, just the two of us on a little adventure instead of just having you sit around the library waiting for me to return,” she said, her face falling. The young dragon noticed a hint of guilt in her voice as she finished.

Spike cocked a confused eyebrow, prompting the mare to elaborate.

“It’s just that - Well... um,” she stuttered, trying to think of the right words to say. Finally, she cleared her throat and spoke again, “I haven’t been able to spend much time with you recently... and I’ve felt really bad about it. So, I thought that you and I should go on our own little adventure and spend a little time together. You know, just like we used to when we lived in Canterlot.”

Spike was touched. While he paid no mind to the adventures Twilight shared with the others, he had no idea that she felt this badly about leaving him behind. He was about to speak when a large flare of light and the sounds of an explosion emitted from one of the ancient chambers. All of the animals nearby fled with the utmost urgency.

“W-what was that?” he asked, holding onto Twilight’s hind leg in a death grip.

“I don’t know, Spike, but we should go check it out.” Gently shaking the young dragon off of her leg, Twilight followed the sound of the noise, slowly pushing open the large, rotted wood doors that led into the Grand Hall.

Spike’s recollection was interrupted by a terrifying scream echoing from Twilight’s bedroom. Jolting from his dream-like state, he knocked over the two mugs of hot milk, their contents splashed onto his tail, and the two porcelain tankards crashed to the wood floor, shattering into pieces. Luckily, the scales on his tail were thick enough to prevent any severe damage from the offending liquid, but it was still very uncomfortable for him. Seething slightly, Spike shook the molten liquid off his tail and rubbed the area lightly, trying to stop the dull throbbing emitting from the point of contact.

Looking at the mess on the floor, Spike debated on whether or not to clean it up or to let it wait, but after another blood churning scream he decided to leave the mess for a later time. Quickly, the young dragon made his way to the foot of the stairs and began climbing, forgetting the mess that had been made in the kitchen. Once he reached the top of the stairs, he could see a light purple glow emitting from the bedroom.

As he approached the opening to Twilight's bedchambers, Spike felt one of the floorboards beneath his feet creak eerily. Suddenly, the light within became brighter and a bolt of magic shot out of the door, creating a large crack in the opposite wall with a booming clap of thunder. “Who is there?!” the almost unfamiliar voice of a mare called.

Twilight didn’t sound like herself. She sounded like a tormented and tortured being; a creature cornered by a pack of predators prepared to make its final stand. That thought sent a chill up the young dragon's spine and caused a bead of cold sweat to form on his brow. He was terrified.

Trying his best to stay calm, Spike spoke quietly, “I-It’s me, Twilight.”

“W-Who? I-I'm warning you! Come any closer and I won't hold anything back!”

Spike flinched as if he’d been struck across the face, She doesn’t recognize my voice.

“S-Spike. It's Spike. May I come in?”

“…”

Taking the silence as a ‘Yes,’ the young dragon proceeded to walk into the room slowly. As he cautiously entered the room, Spike saw what must have been his dearest friend rocking back in forth at the edge of her bed, sobbing uncontrollably and mumbling something incoherent as her eyes darted around the room, searching for some unknown aggressor in the dim light of her magic.

Seeing his surrogate mother so acutely disturbed was shocking to say the least, and it took Spike a moment to pull himself from his stupor. He walked over to comfort Twilight as she continued to cry hysterically. Initially, she flinched at his touch, but slowly allowed him to embrace her, eventually returning the embrace as she continued to bawl her tired eyes out. Although he was still slightly smaller than her, Spike tried his best to provide a protective and comforting embrace.

“Shhh. It’s okay, you’re safe now. Shhhhhh,” he whispered comfortingly as he stroked her mane.

After a few minutes, her crying turned into a light sob, allowing her to finally articulate her words enough for him to understand. “Oh Spike, it was awful! She was in danger—and I—I couldn't save her!” she said before breaking down again.

This had been the fourth night Twilight had mentioned ‘her,’ whose name he had yet to discover. Well, tonight’s as good as any other night to find out…

“Who Twilight? Who was in danger?”

She tried to wipe her tears away, but to no avail as a new stream ran down her cheeks. “I-I don’t know, but she was in danger. She called out to me... Creators, she screamed for me to help her, but t-there was else there! Something in the dark... And—and I couldn’t help her. I did everything I could, and still I couldn't save her! I know these are just dreams... b-but they feel so real! Why!? Why am I having these nightmares!?” Twilight broke down crying again, unable to elaborate any further.

Once again, Spike held her, trying to calm her down enough to speak coherently. I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow…

o.0.o

As the sun was just peaking through a small window high up in the library, Spike sat down at Twilight’s desk and began to write an urgent letter:

Dear Princess Celestia,

Hello, Spike here. Do you remember when Twilight sent you that letter stating that we were going out into the ancient castle in the Everfree Forest to find those plants? Well, something happened out there and she has been having these strange nightmares ever since. At first, I thought it was just a coincidence, that she was still in shock from everything that happened, but after going over it in my head a million times, I know that something else happened and has been destroying her from the inside out. Her condition has been getting worse and worse. Last night was by far the worst yet… She didn’t even recognize me last night and nearly obliterated me! I’ve known her for years and even if there was an intruder, she wouldn’t have tried to hurt them. I am extremely worried and actually a little scared. So now, I beg you, please, please come see her. The sooner the better.

Respectfully,

Spike the Dragon

Placing the quill on the table, Spike tied the letter with two red ribbons and then set it ablaze with a breath of dragon flame. The magical fire burnt through the scroll, sending the ashes flying towards the castle far off in the distance. As he waited for a response from the Princess, he thought it would be a good idea to run into town and buy some food for Twilight.

As soon as Spike opened the door to walk outside, he was forced to shield his eyes from Celestia's bright spring sun as it beamed down on the land, warming all that it touched. A flock of songbirds chirped their early—morning song, and everypony could be seen walking about, down the busy streets as the rush to the Sunday Market began. Spike dragged his claws as he made his way toward the epicenter of the action, a heavy coin purse hanging off his waist.

After wading through the crowd for far too long, Spike finally reached the market. It was just as it always was this time of day, vendors setting up their stands while their customers patiently formed lines around them. As soon as a vendor opened for business, the river of eager ponies flowed up to the stand and raced off to get the next item on their lists. A good sign, but Spike knew it was just a quiet before the storm, his companions' track records revealed as much.

The young dragon's eyes scanned over the crowd until he noticed one of his dear friends setting up her stand. The unmistakable orange fur coat, her straw colored mane, and her trademark rawhide cowpony hat instantly recognizable in any crowd.

"Hey there, Applejack," Spike greeted with a slightly renewed vigor. Hearing her name called, the orange earth mare turned around. Seeing it was Spike, she beckoned him closer to the stand she was setting up. Picking himself up slightly, Spike trudged over to the small wooden table surrounded by several large crates and barrels.

"Well, howdy there Spike!" Her voice was warm and kind as it always was, soothing the sleep deprived dragon with it's country melody. "Are ya alright sugar cube? Ya look like yer more tired than a one legged pony in a flank kickin' contest."

Thanks to his tired state of being, the amusing thought of a one legged pony trying to win a flank kicking contest instantly started playing through his mind, causing him to chuckle lightly. However, the mare he was speaking to cleared her throat, and Spike was pulled back to reality, storing that thought for a later date.

"I-I'm fine. Just been really busy lately," he stated, shaking his head to clear his mind of such silly thoughts.

"With Twilight, huh? She still got that magic flu?" Applejack asked in a strange tone.

Spike paused. He wasn't sure if he should tell anyone the truth about Twilight's condition, especially since Twilight has been so careful to come up with the ruse of her supposed 'illness'. While she wasn't lying, she refused to tell the whole truth. "Uh, yea, but she's getting better! Doc said she should be good to go in a a few more days." Spike looked up to the farmer and saw that one face she always gives somepony when she's onto... them.

Oh no, she knows! Spike started to internally panic as a frown crossed the earth mare's muzzle.

"Look Spike," she started with a sigh, "Y'all don't have ta tell me what's goin' on, but please don't lie to mah face. It's insultin'."

Spike felt embarrassment, shame, and regret flood over him like a tidal wave, "I'm sorry AJ, I just don't think that Twilight wants anypony to know yet."

"Is she pregnant?" Applejack deadpanned.

Spike's face flooded a deep crimson red, "Wh-what!?"

"If she is, jus' tell her that me and mah family are there for her, an..."

"N-no! Th-thats not it at all! She's not pregnant!" Spike interrupted, perhaps a little too loudly. There was a lull in the hustle and bustle of the crowd around the Apple stand as several onlookers stared at the baby dragon.

Applejack gave them a wave of her hoof, silently telling them to move along. Complying with her orders, everypony carried on about their business before the baby dragon's outburst. "Well, that's a relief," the orange mare stated, slightly embarrassed herself. "Jus' thought Ah'd ask. Y'know, 'cause all the symptoms she was tellin' me about were all signs of mornin' sickness an', well—jus' wanted ta be sure she was alright."

Taking a breath, Spike could feel the heat draining from his face. "No, it's not that. B-But I'm sure she'd be touched to know that you care so much. I just—I can't say exactly what's wrong. Not until I find out more."

Applejack went back to unloading her supplies from the cart. "Have ya taken her to a doctor?"

"Yea, and he said that the only weird thing that he saw was that her natural magic levels were higher than normal."

Applejack gave him a quizzical look as she set down another barrel, presumably full of cider. "What in tarnation does that mean?"

Spike shrugged, "No idea. They said that this usually happens when unicorns come of age, but she already went through that. And when she did, she nearly destroyed Canterlot Castle."

Applejack raised a hoof to her chin, rubbing thoughtfully. "Ah know it sounds crazy, but maybe she's goin' through it again."

Spike raised an eyebrow at the farm mare's almost ludicrous statement

"Just a thought," she said, turning back to the stand and putting up the sign that stated they were open for business as her brother Big Macintosh came up with another cart full of the Apple Family trade.

Without warning, Spike felt a sickly feeling well up in the pit of his gut, causing him to belch. A magical aura emitted from the dragon's maw and formed a scroll encased by the Royal Seal. "Man, I hate how these things taste!" he said, visibly grimacing from the horrid sensation.

Applejack offered the baby dragon a small, soft cider sampler to help rid him of the disgusting aftertaste. "Is it that bad every time?"

Greedily, Spike took the beverage and guzzled it down, relishing in the relief it brought his tastebuds. "No, but the Princess has been using a different kind of ink that does not sit as well as the old stuff."

"Well? What does it say?"

Spike unfurled the letter and began to read it aloud,

"My Dearest Spike,

It is to my greatest displeasure to inform you that I myself will not be able to leave Canterlot until the end of tomorrow. Until then, I have sent my sister, Princess Luna, to aid you in discovering what is wrong with our little Twilight due to her affinity with dreams. Please explain everything to her for I sent her with no more than a word of urgency. She should be arriving a few minutes after you receive this letter. I will also need you to gather the rest of the Elements of Harmony for my sister. She might need their shared knowledge to help figure out what else might have caused this.

Be strong, Spike.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia."

After finishing the letter, Spike turned to the orange mare standing beside him. "I have to get back to the Library before Princess Luna gets there. Would you mind-"

"Gettin' the girls an meetin' ya at the library? No problem!" Applejack finished, then turned to her brother. "Can you take the care of the stand while Ah'm gone Big Mac?"

Said stallion was digging through one of the barrels he had just unloaded from the cart, but waved a hoof over his shoulder. "Eeyup."

With that, Applejack and Spike ran off to complete Celestia's requests before the Princess of the Night arrived. Spike with a little more haste as he ran back to the library. He knew that if he didn’t warn Twilight that royalty was on its way, he would regret it.

o.0.o

Comments ( 34 )

Thanks for Reading! Click the "Like" button if you liked the chapter, click the "Favorite" button if you want more of this story, click the "Watch" button if you want more from me, and leave a comment telling me your worst nightmare/night ever!

I would say bless your faces at this point, but that would be redundant considering you are the internet and have no face! dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Twilight_crazy.png That's right, I'm onto you...

Sorry! Sorry! That was the insomnia talking :twilightblush:

No final says from me eyt to;; ,pre cp,es BUT you got me so far so keep up the gppd work. :pinkiesmile:

May a gentle breeze guide your path and a ever warm smiles keep you in joy. :twilightsmile:

Great story, I really love your Spike/Twilight dynamic, definitively looking foirward to the rest of this. One thing though, the chapter says "Hush now, quite now", instead of "Hush now quiet now" in the story overview, just a little heads-up.

Seething slightly, Spike shook the molten liquid off his tail and rubbed the area lightly, trying to stop the dull throbbing emitting from the point of contact.

Was the hot milk frozen before?:rainbowderp:
Also, interesting story. I'm eager to find out who "she" is.

Poor Twilight. :fluttershysad:
This is a pretty good build up. The description was brilliant and now I must know what happens!
media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8kpgfEvJx1ruojeh.gif

Very interesting.
I'm a little confused, the main character is Spike and the story will be shown from his view? dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_TwilightWut.png

1514839
Judging by how he used spike and mane 6 tags, yes.
There is far to few spike stories out here that does NOT involve clop :twilightangry2:

Author, get your quill ready. i demand MOAR :raritycry:

One more for my Watchlist :twilightsmile:

Heh, I would demand more but I see that it has already been ordered.

Anyway, this story shows promise, especially after reading it for the third or so time.

I look forward to seeing where you go with this, unless I already know for some reason then I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

1514683
Thank you for the well-wishes!
1514707
Thanks for pointing it out and I will change it once I get back to my dorm. Editing stories on an iPhone is difficult.
1514773
What do you mean?
1514782
There will be more coming, but please be patient. I only get to write on the weekends!
1514839>>1515002
The point of view will mostly come from Spike with a few minor jumps to other characters like Twilight and Luna later on. Also, I too am preterbed by the lack of Spike fics that do not involve clop. It's upsetting, really.
1515568
Yes!
1515829
Trust me on this one, you don't know what's going to happen. Also, when am I going to get that next chapter of OoD?

1515993
You are right. It is the charracter in MLP that it's least likely to get in that kind of situations yet you CONSTANTLY find him in them when it comes to fanfiction. Seriously, it's like they forget that it is child pornography :applejackconfused:

1515993
Pretty soon actually, I'd give it about another day so that I can make sure I have everything like I want it.

1515993
Well, for one, you can't melt liquid (unless it's in solid form). Anyway, I'm just nitpicking.:twilightsheepish:

I guess someone's a toby turner fan??? Anyways, I'm really excited for the next chapter :)

This looks like it's going to be good. Keep it up!

1518980 Lol. Molten =/= melting. Molten = lava-ish. :pinkiecrazy: :raritywink:

Well written, original, and scary. You've got a good story going. Thumbs up and a favorite, keep up the excellence pal!

Oh, I meant to point out the title of your chapter says quite but I think you meant quiet?

At first I was like :rainbowhuh: and then I saw the pic and was like:rainbowlaugh:

Before I begin to read I need to know: Is this a Spilight story?

Comment posted by Chivalry deleted Jan 7th, 2013

1799096

Spike will NOT be paired with Twilight or any mares older than he is. While I cannot reveal everything on whom he will be meeting, I can say that there will be no make-out scenes with the YOUNG dragon. While he is a year older in this fic compared to the show, he is still a child by pony standards, and a young child by dragon standards, no matter what the mustache says :moustache:

While the story is A Work In Progress *bu-dum tss*, I have the basic groundwork laid out and there is some direction, but as with all of my stories, it is destined to change as I see fit.

1916832
What took you so long? I still don't know what in f&#! the mustache joke is suppose to mean.
I'm not going to read it anyway. After a while I've come realize that there are no good "Tragic" labeled stories on this fandom.

Yes Spike y young indeed. So? That didn't stop Arwen to fall in love with Aragorn, who was more than 2500 years younger than she. :yay:

1917301

In regards to the tragic tag, if you've read Becoming Whole, the tragic tag is more for overcoming tragedy, not the event itself.

And for the LotR romance you mentioned, he was a MAN. Clearly over 18 years of age, the legal age of consent. Unlike Spike

1918547
The LotR was a joke, more tha anything else. I get your point and it's all right.
I'm still not going to read it. But I'm still wating for Becoming Whole's chapter 7.

1918716

You people are like a dog with a bone :pinkiehappy:

Hmm seems nice and there are all sorts of routes you can take for this story considering this whole nightmares situation. I sense potential

CDR

Hey, fruitloop. Update this please. KthxBYE.

2577656
You do understand what calling someone a fruit-loop means, right? In short, it is not a good way to motivate someone to do something you want.

Once I finish up Becoming Whole, I plan on turning my attention to this story and take a break from my others

CDR

2584403
It either means I called you crazy or something else. I prefer silly though. Because its silly you haven't updated this yet. (Yes I'm horrible. Kill me later.)

ONWARD MY FRIENDS! TO MORE PONY!

Login or register to comment