• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 22,467 Views, 3,140 Comments

Fire & Rain - Ruirik



Sometimes it takes the darkest moments of our lives to find the brightest

  • ...
49
 3,140
 22,467

Fire & Rain [Reprise]

Nearly three weeks later, Rainbow was finally discharged from Manehattan General Hospital. Her broken wing was still in a cast, though the bandages had long since been removed from her torso. The coat on her abdomen that had been shaved away for the surgery was beginning to regrow as well. Rainbow almost lamented that her “awesome” scar wouldn’t be visible to anypony… almost.

To celebrate her release, Bifrost had invited Spitfire, Soarin’, and Rapidfire out for dinner. They had tried to refuse, only to realize—with Rainbow’s help—that he had no intention of being refused. After painstaking negotiations, they had arrived at a mutually acceptable solution: a nice picnic, out in the countryside.

Spitfire’s concerns about the travel were easy enough to resolve. Bifrost simply ‘borrowed’ a small cloud from the weather team, which she and Rainbow could ride on while he and Soarin’ pushed it. With that settled, all that remained to be decided on was the location for their picnic. Rainbow and Spitfire both agreed: there was only one place that would do.

“How did you two find this place, anyway?” Soarin’ asked, smoothing out the corner of a red and white checkered picnic blanket.

“This is where we landed after Rainbow took me through a sonic rainboom,” Spitfire answered, setting a pair of wicker picnic baskets in the center of the blanket. The comment earned a sheepish smile from the younger mare. “It just kinda became our spot after that.”

Neither mare bothered to mention the… other things… they had done on that hill.

Bifrost scoffed, setting up a portable gramophone and a few records by their picnic spot. “Damn, Rainbow, you’re gonna make the rest of us look like slackers.”

“It’s not my fault I was born this awesome,” Rainbow said with a grin.

“I suppose that would be my fault.” Bifrost sighed, dramatically falling onto his back. “Oh woe is me!”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Don’t quit your dayjob, dad.”

“Let’s get those sandwiches out, I’m hungry!” Rapid exclaimed with a toothy grin.

“I second that motion,” Soarin’ said, scooting closer to the baskets and licking his lips.

Spitfire gasped, her hooves covering her mouth. “Oh crap!”

“What?!” four voices demanded.

“I forgot the pie!”

“You WHAT?!” Soarin’ shouted, a look of horror on his face.

Spitfire giggled. “Kidding, it’s in the basket on the left.”

Soarin’ narrowed his eyes. “Ich werde mich rächen, Teufelsweib...”

“You know, if you wanna tell Rapid you love him, there are simpler ways.” Spitfire offered.

Soarin’ pressed his hoof to his forehead with a low growl.

“Screw you with green apples,” Rapid grumbled.

“Kinky,” Spitfire giggled, flipping open the nearest basket and hoofing out sandwich halves to each pony in turn.

“Thanks for buying all this, Mr. Bifrost.” she said as she gave him his sandwich.

“It’s my pleasure, really,” he said with a smile. “There’s fresh honeycomb in there too.”

Rainbow’s eyes widened, her salivary glands going into overdrive. “You’re the best dad ever!”

Bifrost spread his wings and forelegs wide. “Yes, shower me with your adulations.”

Rainbow flicked a green olive at her father. He didn’t flinch as it bounced off his snout and onto the blanket.

“Well, this will be an off-season for the record books.” Soarin’ mused, lifting his sandwich to his lips.

“At least it wasn’t dull,” Rapid said.

“True enough.”

“Hey, Dash?”

“Hmm?” Rainbow glanced over to her marefriend, gulping down the mouthful she had been chewing.

Spitfire desperately tried to control her grin, with poor results. “Remember a few weeks ago when I asked which princess had the best flank?”

Soarin’ choked on his drink.

Rainbow looked suddenly pale. “... Tell me you didn’t…”

“I got a pretty close look at Luna’s,” Spitfire said, looking almost proud of herself, “gotta say; not bad at all.”

Rainbow groaned, hiding her face in her hooves.

“Was this when you ran face first into her ass?” Bifrost asked, a lopsided grin on his lips.

Spitfire giggled, her cheeks feeling that familiar burn. “Yeah.”

“So would you say that Luna mooned you?” Rapid asked, a foalish grin on his face.

A chorus of pained groans erupted from the four pegasi.

“More like she gave a whole new meaning to the term “kiss ass”,” Bifrost said.

“It was an accident!”

“I liked the part when you told her to ‘watch herself’.” He giggled.

“Wait, you did what?” Rainbow struggled to pronounce through her laughter.

“I wasn’t looking where I was going,” Spitfire mumbled.

“I thought you just said you got a good look.” Soarin’ grinned, elbowing her ribs lightly.

“I don’t how she couldn’t have,” Bifrost chuckled, “Hell, I don’t think the royal gynecologist gets a look that good.”

Soarin’s drink forcibly ejected itself from his mouth while Rapidfire choked on his sandwich. Spitfire waved goodbye to her dignity. She would miss it greatly. Rainbow stared at her dad, unsure if she should laugh or be horrified.

“Really, dad?” she managed after a minute.

The rainbow maned stallion shrugged. “You can dress me up, but you can’t take me out.”

Time seemed to fly by for the small group of pegasi, the sandwiches, fresh apple pie, and succulent honeycomb being consumed to the last morsel. Everypony had stories to share, and every story ended in raucous laughter. At some point, Bifrost had started the gramophone. He had selected the first record in the small stack they had with them, the music playing quietly behind their conversations. The record playing had been the one Rainbow and Spitfire had purchased on one of their very first dates. As the evening wore on, Spitfire and Rainbow moved away from the group, sitting together and watching the distant cityscape.

Bifrost reclined against the old oak tree that stood proudly atop the hill. The coarse bark scratched roughly at his back, yet he didn’t mind. His lips held a soft smile and his eyes misted up, fixated on the young couple nearby.

Can you see them, Firefly?’ he wondered, hooves squeezing his cup. ‘Our baby girl is all grown up...

Rainbow leaned against Spitfire, closing her eyes and smiling as they swayed to the music. The older mare smiled, happy to help Rainbow in whatever ways she could. It was a moment of perfection, and Spitfire savored every second of it while it lasted.

“What happens next?” Rainbow asked.

“I don’t know, Dash,” Spitfire answered, kissing Rainbow’s cheek, “we’ll find out together.”

Seemingly satisfied with the answer, Rainbow nuzzled against Spitfire. “I love you.”

Spitfire smiled. “I love you too”

I've seen fire and I've seen rain

I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.

I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend

but I always thought that I'd see you again.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Sorren, LoyalLiar, The 24th Pegasus, Taxus, Sojourner, and everyone else who helped make Fire & Rain the story it is today. I truly couldn't have done it without the support of all of you wonderful people.