• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 2,921 Views, 50 Comments

Candy and Confusion - TheRealBonBon



Bon-Bon and Lyra have been friends for a long time, but what if one of them wants to be more?

  • ...
5
 50
 2,921

These Ponies Want To Par-tay

I don't understand. Bon-Bon thought, more or less talking to herself in her head. Why can't I just tell her? I'm sure she'd understand. We've been friends our entire lives. She wouldn't hate me, would she? Her face turned from it's former blank expression to a look of horror. No, she isn't like that. At least I don't think she is, but losing her as a friend is the last thing I want to do. That would be horrible, she might kick me out, then I would have to live on the street. She became even more horrified. "WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO HARD?" she yelled out loud.

"Uh, Bonnie? Everything alright?" Lyra asked, obviously concerned.

Bon-Bon began to blush a bright red. "Uh, yeah, I was just... Trying to decide between yellow streamers and red for your party tomorrow!" She spat out in a horrible lie.

"Isn't Pinkie Pie in charge of my party?" Lyra questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Well... Technically yes, but I figured she could use all the help she could get." Bon-Bon explained, cracking a nervous grin. "But how about dinner? Is it almost ready?" She asked, trying to get away from the subject.

As soon as she finished her sentence Lyra plopped down next to her on the couch and handed her a daisy sandwich. The two of them ate in silence for the majority of the meal. Neither of them had anything of importance to say, and Bon-Bon refrained from idle chit-chat, just in case she said something embarrassing, which was very likely.

Bon-Bon quickly finished her dinner and ran to her room. "Goodnight!" she yelled down the stairs before entering her room and collapsing on her bed. She buried her face deep in her pillow and began to stain it with tears. "I can't help it. I love her." she whispered to herself. Her weeping was interrupted by a knock at her bedroom door.

"Hey Bon-Bon. It's me" Lyra called from the other side. "Can I come in?"

The cream coloured earth pony trotted over to the door and opened it with a sniffle. "Yeah, sit down anywhere you want."

"You've been crying." Lyra stated.

"What? No, I... Well, maybe a little." Bon-Bon admitted. "It's not important. What do you want?"

"No, it is important, you're obviously upset." Lyra put a hoof on Bon-Bon's back. "You can tell me what's wrong."

"Lyra, I'd really rather not talk about it right now. Can I tell you some other time?" Bon-Bon pleaded.

Lyra nodded and started to walk to the door. "I'll leave you alone then. I just wanted to say thanks for the necklace again. It's absolutely beautiful." She explained as she closed the door behind her.

Bon-Bon cracked a smile for the first and last time that night.

* * *

Bon-Bon was woken up by the sun shining through the window, straight into her eyes. She let out a frustrated groan and got out of bed. She noticed her pillow was still stained with tears, along with her coat under her eyes. "I guess I should go shower so I'm not a total mess at Lyra's..." she felt a lump in her throat as she said her name. After trying to shake some of the thoughts out of her head she made her way to the bathroom and hopped in the shower.

The warm water on her face was a nice change from the salty tears that were there the night before. After washing her mane and the rest of her body she stepped out, feeling rejuvenated, and trotted downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning sleepyhead" Bon-Bon jumped at Lyra's voice before cracking a slight grin. "It's almost noon, the party starts in fifteen minutes or so."

"I guess I slept in a bit longer than I planned." Bon-Bon giggled nervously. "I'll just skip breakfast then."

"So, do you want to tell me why you were crying last night?" Lyra asked.

Bon-Bon sighed and sat down on the couch, she patted the cushion next to her, motioning for Lyra to sit next to her. After the unicorn joined her she started to explain what was wrong. "Well Lyra, there really isn't an easy way to say this. We've been friends for so long, which just makes it more difficult. You've always been there for me, you took me in when nopony else would. I think I'm in lo-"

She was interrupted by a loud crash from the front door, followed by a pink pony darting around their living room. "I am SO excited!" the pony shrieked. "Are you excited? Because I'm excited! I've never been this excited in my whole life, except for that time when I first met Twilight and threw that party for her, but I mean, how could you not be excited about that?" she rambled on.

"Pinkie, the party doesn't start for ten more minutes, and Sugarcube Corner is less than two minutes away. Why are you here?" Lyra asked.

"Because I was excited and I wanted to get you there early." Pinkie Pie explained.

Bon-Bon simply sighed.

"So come on, lets go!" the pink earth pony yelled as she grabbed Lyra and Bon-Bon, pulling them from the comfort of their own home.

* * *

"I swear to drunk I'm not Celestia." Lyra hiccuped.

There had been a bit more alcohol than expected at the party, which was not good for Lyra. Any time there's an open bar it will almost always be completely cleared out by the mint unicorn.

"Come on Lyra, it's late, we need to go home." Bon-Bon explained, pulling her friend towards the door. "Thanks for the party everyone!"

"Hold on, just one... Just one second." Lyra stuttered. She trotted over to Pinkie Pie to the best of her ability, tumbling around a few times on the way to her, she threw an arm around the pink pony. "Y'know what Pinkie? You're kinda cute." She said with a hiccup. "How'd you like to go on a date some time?" She hiccuped again.

Bon-Bon stared, she was angry, sad, and heartbroken. The only mare she had ever loved just ripped her heart out and stomped on it.

"What kind of friend would I be if I said no to the birthday mare?" Pinkie asked with a giggle. "I'd love to."

"Alright, awesome." Lyra slurred. She planted her lips on Pinkie's sharing a deep, passionate, drunken kiss. "Okay Bonnie, we can..." She turned only to realize Bon-Bon was no longer there. "Oh well, more fun for me!" She exclaimed, running, if you could call it that, to the table to alcohol.

"Hey everypony! It's time for cake!" Pinkie called. The guests all crowded around the table which Pinkie had set it down on and began to sing.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Lyra, happy birthday to you." They all sang in unison. "And many more" Pinkie Pie added to the end. Lyra walked over to the cake and closed her eyes for a few seconds, thinking of a wish, before she blew out the candles.

"What did you wish for?" Pinkie asked, blinking her eyes a couple times for added effect.

"If I told ya, then it wouldn't be a... a, uh..." Lyra trailed off.

"Secret?" Pinkie asked.

"That's it." Lyra corrected, snapping back to attention.

Pinkie giggled and wrapped an arm around Lyra. "So where are we going for our date?"

"I dunno, maybe you should just come over and I'll make dinner or something."

"Won't Bon-Bon be mad?" Pinkie questioned.

"Nah, she's a good sport when it comes to these things." Lyra reassured her, followed by another hiccup.

Meanwhile, Bon-Bon was running home, tears filling her eyes and running down her cheeks for the second time in two nights. Luna was just starting to engulf the sky in darkness. She ran upstairs and into her bedroom, lying down on her bed, her face buried in her pillow once more. She picked up the picture of herself and Lyra which sat on her nightstand and hugged it, as if it were a newborn filly, before throwing it against the wall, smashing it into hundreds of tiny pieces. "Why? Why did you have to do this to me?" she murmured, wiping tears from her eyes. "I loved you, I still love you, but you're killing me." She continued. It was going to be a long night.