• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 2,920 Views, 50 Comments

Candy and Confusion - TheRealBonBon



Bon-Bon and Lyra have been friends for a long time, but what if one of them wants to be more?

  • ...
5
 50
 2,920

The Package

"Bon-Bon! Bon-Bon!" the mailmare called as she ran after the cream coloured pony who was trotting about the town square alone.

"Hi Derpy! What do you have for me?" Bon-Bon replied.

The cross eyed pony stared blankly at Bon-Bon, her eyes drifting off to the side, when suddenly she snapped back to attention. "Oh yeah, one second." she shouted as she turned to her saddlebags and started searching. She pulled out multiple packages and threw them away, making a mess of the town square. "No, no, this isn't it either." she muttered as she continued to throw things around. "AHA!" she exclaimed triumphantly, pulling out a small box, covered in wrapping paper. "This is for you." The grey pegasus announced, handing Bon-Bon the box.

"Oh, thank you Derpy." Bon-Bon said, smiling gleefully.

"No problem!" Derpy Hooves exclaimed, giving her friend a small salute. "I know it's not my business, but what is it?"

"It's a present for Lyra. Her birthday's today!" Bon-Bon explained.

"Did you get her a muffin?" Derpy asked excitedly.

"No, it's something a bit more valuable than a muffin." She giggled.

"Impossible!" Derpy gasped.

"Well thanks for delivering this Derpy, it means a lot. I'll see you later." Bon-Bon replied

Derpy nodded. "I'm sure she'll love it." The mailmare then flew off to deliver the rest of her packages.

Bon-Bon carefully placed the box in her saddlebag, double checking that it was secured properly. She then began her walk back home.

* * *

"Lyra? Are you home?" Bon-Bon called out as she opened the door.

"Yeah, I'm upstairs. I'll be down in a minute." Her roommate called from upstairs.

Bon-Bon quickly closed the door then ran over to the living room and pulled out the box, placing it on the table. She grabbed a small piece of paper and a pen and jotted something down on it, then placed it on top of the box.

"So, how was your walk?" Lyra asked. Walking downstairs.

"it was... Nice. It gave me some time to think." Bon-Bon responded.

"That's good to..." Lyra trailed off, eyeing the box. "What's that?" she asked. Pointing at it.

"Happy birthday!" Bon-Bon exclaimed. Breaking out into song. "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Lyra! Happy birthday to you!" she sang, smiling.

Lyra stared at her friend for a couple seconds before cracking a huge grin and bursting out into laughter. Bon-Bon joined in moments later. "Thanks Bonnie." Lyra said happily.

"Go ahead, open it." Bon-Bon gestured.

Lyra walked over to the table and picked up the box. "Happy Birthday Lyra. Love Bon-Bon." was written messily on the piece of paper on top. She couldn't help but smile at Bon-Bon's filly-like handwriting. Lyra began to peel off the shiny wrapping paper, which was a similar colour to her own mane. Once she got the wrapping paper off she opened the actual box. She stared at what greeted her inside before breaking out into a huge smile. "Is this? Y-you got me a diamond necklace?" she stuttered, mouth agape.

"It's the least I can do." Bon-Bon replied, blushing slightly.

"But this must have cost you like, a thousand bits!" Lyra exclaimed.

"One thousand five hundred, actually." Bon-Bon admitted. "Not including tax and shipping."

"What? I can't accept this. That's how much you make in a month. You have to return this and get your money back." The unicorn said, closing the box and pushing it towards Bon-Bon.

"Lyra, please, you deserve it. You've been my friend my entire life. Just take it." Bon-Bon pleaded.

"But-" Lyra began to say.

"Please?" Bon-Bon interrupted. "You took me in when you found out I didn't have enough to move out on my own. You let me stay here without paying rent. Not to mention all of your support when I was starting up my candy shop. I never give you anything in return for your kindness. All I want is to pay back some of years of happiness you have given me."

The two of them stood in silence, just staring into eachother's eyes for a few moments before Lyra pulled Bon-Bon towards her, hugging her tightly."Thank you." she whispered into her friend's ear. Tears began to form in both of their eyes. "I'll treasure it with my life. You're the best friend anypony could ask for." Lyra added as the two of them released eachother. A loud rumbling noise came from her stomach. "Uh, maybe I should go get started on dinner." she chuckled shyly. "Thank you Bon-Bon, for the necklace, and for being such an amazing friend." Lyra sighed, wiping the tears from her eyes as she trotted towards the kitchen to begin making dinner.

"Right... Friend." Bon-Bon muttered under her breath. Her lip began to quiver and tears fell down her cheeks. "Just friends..."