• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 9,064 Views, 931 Comments

A Shadow Brought to Light - k12314



A young stallion, named Shadow Weaver, ha never led a good life. At least, not until SHE came along.

  • ...
23
 931
 9,064

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49: Too Much to Handle

CHAPTER 49

For some reason, I smelled something really good. Like, a "Sugarcube Corner cake" good.


"OK, who's wafting something delicious over my nose while I sleep?"


I popped one eye open, but everything was still dark... Wait, is that a slight tint of pink?


"Pinks has her mane over my face. That is both funny and adorable at the same time. I have no issues with this situation."


But, as fate would have it, she chose that time to roll over, and mumble something or other, her leg twitching a few times. I wanted to wake her up, since it was daylight outside, but I couldn't help but just stare at her. She's just so gosh darn cute.


"Hrm... Just five more minutes..."


"OK, she's reading my mind."


I decided to leave her be, and just head downstairs myself. Maybe the Cakes needed help, or maybe I could be on register duty until Pinks wakes up. Mrs. Cake was scrubbing the floors in the shop-part of the building, and I heard Mr. Cake in the kitchen, probably cooking up stuff to sell.


"Hey, Mrs. Cake. Need any help?"


She looked up at me, and I was surprised at how tired she looked. "No, I'm fine..."


"Whoa, Mrs. Cake, you look like you're exhausted. What's wrong?"


"I've just been working harder than normal, lately. Running this shop is a full-time job, no time for breaks."


Mr. Cake came out from the kitchen, and he looked even worse than his wife. He had bags under his eyes, and he was shaking a little bit, like he'd worked himself to the bone, and kept going after that. "She's right, Shadow. It's so stressful running this shop, and with recent events, neither you nor Pinkie have been around to help much."


That hit me pretty hard. I know he didn't mean to, but he made me feel like this was my fault. With all the trouble following up behind me, things have gotten pretty crazy around here. Instead of just feeling bad about it, I decided to do something kinda crazy. "How about you two take a little vacation? Pinks and I can take care of the place."


"What?" Mr. Cake rubbed his ears, like he thought he heard me wrong. "Are you serious? It's not just the shop, it's the twins we have to take care of too!"


"I know. But hey, if you two can do it, I bet Pinks and I can. Heck, if Pinks doesn't wake up, I'll just do it all myself. Asides from the little oddjob here and there, I really haven't been earning my keep around here."


Mrs. Cake stood up from the floor, her legs shaking. "But you've done so much already! You've even saved Pinkie's life!"


"Yes, but she was in danger in the first place because of a stupid decision I made. And besides, you two will work yourselves to death at this rate. You've already helped me by giving me a place to stay, and something of a job, so let me help you. Don't even pay me, I'll do it for free. You're like the parents I never had, I care about you both."


I didn't even know where that last part came from, but it was true. They were more of parents to me than my real ones. Heck, I didn't know where my parents were, but knowing them, they were probably dead by that time. No, Mr. and Mrs. Cake are like a father and mother to me, and to Pinks. And anypony important to Pinks is important to me.


Mr. Cake shook his head. "You really don't have to do that..."


I held up my hoof to stop him. "I know I don't have to, but I want to. Come on, let me help you! Consider it a gift for all you've done for me."


The Cakes looked at each other for a moment, like they were having a wordless conversation, until nodding in unison.


"Alright, Shadow..." Mrs. Cake let out a tired sigh, and rubbed her eyes. "You can run the shop for the day. Carrot and I will go to the Spa. That ought to help us relax."


I rubbed my chin, wondering if I had enough money to give them to pay for the trip to the Spa, but I only had about 80 bits. I've really gotta stop binging on Bon-Bon's sweets. I know the Cakes make good snacks, but Bon-Bon makes AMAZING candy.


Mr. Cake started laughing, and put his hoof on my shoulder. "Shadow, I know what you're thinking. No, we've got this. Just because we're stressed out doesn't mean you have to go broke just so we can relax."


"How did you-"


"I've lived with Pinkie for years, Shadow. I've picked up on a few things."


"Welp, can't argue with that logic."


"Alright, well you two go ahead and get going. I'll take over from here. It's hard, but it can't be TOO hard."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Me and my big mouth."


A mere hour after the Cakes left, everything seemed to slip into turmoil. The twins were bawling their eyes out and running rampant, no customers were coming in at all, everything was a mess, and...


*Sniff, sniff*


"OH NO! THE OVEN!"


As luck would have it, smoke was billowing out of the oven, which I'd left unattended and of course, forgotten about. Just my luck, huh? This is what I get for tempting fate.


"Goddesses, hear me, and PLEASE. HELP. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SACRED, HELP ME."


I was trying to keep calm, and on the outside, it was working, but I was having a total panic attack on the inside. How did the Cakes ever deal with this on a daily basis?! And the worst part is: Pinks was somehow still asleep, so I was handling all of this on my own. Sounds wonderful, right? WRONG. And of course, while I'm fighting back a complete breakdown, Pumpkin decided to levitate me into the air, giggling like it was the funniest thing in the world.


"Put me down!"


But, instead, Pound started to fly circles around me, taunting me with his free movement. My eye started twitching, and something in my head broke. Into a million pieces. Then caught on fire. And then exploded. Twice.


"Looks like you're having fun! Can I join in?"


"Pinks?" Sure enough, she was standing on the stairs, that toothy smile on her face. "Yeah, sure! You can join in! And by that I mean help."


"OK! All I need is a bag of flour! Be right back~!"


"Bag of flour- WHAT?! She's leaving me here... This is how I die!"


Pinks came back with a bag of flour in mere seconds, lifted it above her head... And dumped the contents all over herself. The twins immediately stopped messing with me, and dumped me on the ground, falling into a giggling fit.


"See? All you need to do is add a little flour to the mix!"


"What- But that- How did-" I facehoofed, and a stupid smile grew on my face. "Thanks."


"No problem! Now, we'd better get this all cleaned up!"


Before I could even say anything, she reached... Somewhere, and grabbed a bucket of water, a mop, some sponges, and some cleaning soap.


"Don't question it, Shadow. Just be thankful she can conjure these things out of nothingness, and use it to your advantage..."


"So! Why didn't you just wake me up?"


I shrugged. "I just wanted to let you sleep. After all, a stallion's supposed to respect his mare."


"That's sweet, but... I could have helped. I babysit the twins all the time! I've even run the shop on my own for a couple of hours a few times."


"You? Really? I'd have never expected the Cakes to trust you to do that. You're great, but..."


"I seem irresponsible?"


"Well..." I rubbed the back of my head, not sure if I should go on. "Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's complicated. You're just... Random."


"Hey, Dashie says that too!"


"I bet she does..."

PreviousChapters Next