• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 9,076 Views, 931 Comments

A Shadow Brought to Light - k12314



A young stallion, named Shadow Weaver, ha never led a good life. At least, not until SHE came along.

  • ...
23
 931
 9,076

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 44: Family Matters

CHAPTER 44

Another day, another stroke of boredom. I was sitting around with Pinks, both of us trying to think up something to do.


"Maybe we could go see another movie...?" Pinks shook her head. "No... That'd be a bit repetitive..."


I tapped my hoof on my chin. I really couldn't think of anything clever or unique. "Well... We could go out to eat, or something. Maybe just hang out...?" I rubbed the side of my head. "Ugh. I'm in a romantic rut today."


Pinks giggled a little bit, and nuzzled my side. "Oh, it's alright. I'm sure you'll think of something eventually. Or, knowing how things happen around here, something will come to us."


I rolled my eyes, and chuckled. "Boy, ain't that the truth..."


The bell downstairs jingled, so Pinks and I stood up to serve whoever it was. When we went downstairs, it was that grey mare with the treble clef as a Cutie Mark. She looked Pinks over, and she got that same look of surprise on her face she had last time she was here. I cocked my eyebrow. "Uh... May we help you?"


She blinked, and then shook her head, to snap herself out of whatever trance she was in. "Uh... Well... I-"


Pinks giggled, and started hopping around the room. "You remind me of Shadow! He's that stallion right there, if you didn't know. You seem really shy. Wait..." Pinks gasped, and her smile widened. "You're that cellist from the Grand Galloping Gala...!" She blinked, and then her expression went from happy, to sheepish. "Uh... Sorry for hijacking your band and having them play the 'Pony Pokey...'"


The grey mare waved her hoof. "It's all in the past, but... You're Pinkamena Diane Pie, correct?"


Pinkie nodded. "Yep! That's my name, don't wear it out! Why?"


The mare smiled, and took a step closer. "It's me, Pinkamena, your sister, Octavia."


Pinks and I looked at each other, and our faces were the same. We were shocked. I looked back at Octavia, and cocked my eyebrow again. "Right... So, why are you here then, Octavia?"


Her smile faded, and she went back to her more snobbish, high-class, business-like act. "Well, I'm here to bring Pinkamena back home, where she belongs. I, along with the rest of the family, have been using any spare time not spent running the farm looking for her."


Pinks' face was blank, and suddenly, her coat darkened, as did her mane, which flattened. Pinkamena was coming out. When Pinkamena went to talk, only one word came out of her mouth. "No."


Octavia looked shocked enough at the "transformation," but was even more surprised by Pinkamena's decision. "But... We've been looking for you for all this time! Don't you want to come back and see your family aga-"


Pinks scoffed. "Family? Octavia, Mother and Father used us as work horses every day, never let us play or have any fun, and we hardly ever spoke! They're no family of mine. I never want to see them again."


"Now I see why Pinkamena came out... She's the more assertive of the two."


Octavia's jaw dropped, and she stared at Pinkamena like she was a madmare. "But... Why? Even if they did work us a little too hard, I agree with that, that's no reason to shun your own flesh and blood!"


Pinkamena snorted, and glared daggers at Octavia. "No, that's not all, that's only part of the reason. The other, is when I finally tried to bring some joy to your miserable, bleak lives by throwing a party, you all enjoyed it, but then you all cast me away, and didn't speak to me at all. I bet the only reason you want me back is for more free labor. Well I'm not coming! You can't make me."


I saw a single tear manage to escape Octavia's eye, right when she hung her head. "But..." She sniffed, and raised her head, and resumed her posh mannerisms. "Alright. If you insist. I won't come back. You'll never hear from me again."


I held a hoof out. "Wait..." Octavia and Pinkamena both looked at me, and cocked their eyebrows. "Pinks... I think I'd like to meet your family. Even if they were... Well, are, horrible, I think I should at least give them the chance to meet their daughter's fiancé."


Pinkamena's eyes widened, and she started stammering. "But I- She- They-"


I put a hoof on her shoulder. "If not for them, for me. Please...?"


Pinkamena hung her head, and giggled a bit. "You really know what buttons to push, don't you?" She smiled, and her mane and coat slowly returned to normal. "Okie dokie lokie."


Octavia still looked shocked. "F-Fiancé?!" Pinks and I both nodded. Octavia adjusted her bow-tie, and cleared her throat. "I-I'll be sure to tell Mother and Father of this... Breaking news. I'll see you back at home then, Pinkamena?"


Pinks nodded, but spoke up again. "It's Pinkie now. Pinkie Pie."


Octavia nodded, and looked to me. "Shadow, is it? I'll see you there as well. Goodbye to you both, then."


She left, and Pinks and I stared at each other, and started laughing. I don't know why, we just did. It just seemed right. I guess we were laughing at the fact that after all of these years of staying away from her family, the one pony she least expected to take her back, was doing so. I wanted to help repair whatever was wrong between her and her parents. It didn't seem right that she doesn't get some love from her parents. She deserved it. That, and the whole problem made me remember my parents, and nopony should have to go through anything even remotely similar to that. I'm no knight in shining armor or anything, but I guess I just want to help. Maybe that's what I've been mean to do this whole time, and I hadn't realized it until then. All I knew, is that I was going to fix this problem, not for my own self-gratification, but for Pinks and her family. A family is supposed to be close, and loving, not distant and cold. I hated to see ponies torn apart like that.


"Look at me, Shadow Weaver, family psychiatrist. I never thought I'd see the day..."


Pinks nuzzled into my side a little bit. "Shadow...?"


I hugged her close. "Yeah, Pinks?"


She stopped nuzzling me, and looked up to me. "Thanks."


I chuckled. "No prob-" I didn't get to finish my sentence, on account of the fact that Pinks' lips were pressed against mine.

PreviousChapters Next