• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 19,675 Views, 1,847 Comments

Light Wanderings - ed2481



Ethan Smith The Lone Wanderer goes to Equestria, hilarity ensues

  • ...
66
 1,847
 19,675

Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Chapter 30

As the force field shattered in a tremendous roar, a wolfish grin spread across Ethan’s face and he charged out in front of the army, Vengeance already beginning to warm in his grip. A zombie popped out of the snow beside him and Ethan’s armored boot lashed out and caught it in the jaw, dislodging it and sending the zombie flying back into the snow. The man laughed and sent a quick ray of energy into the thing’s chest, disintegrating it into ash.

Another zombie leapt at him and Ethan pulled the trigger, unleashing a burst of scarlet rays of death into its chest, slicing it in half mid-leap. Even as he did that, he turned to give another a similar fate. He looked up to see the massed ranks of the undead army charging him. In response, Ethan grinned and turned on them with Vengeance.

Rays of red light flickered out and slashed into the charging zombies. Most perished within a few seconds of concentrated fire, disintegrating into ash as the powerful lasers racked across their bodies and scorched through their armor. Sombra’s army continued to charge him, heedless to the danger presented by the man’s weapon, and before he knew it three of them were in melee range.

The closest stabbed at Ethan with a rusty spear, the shaft of which broke once it encountered his T-51b’s hard outer shell. The man turned the laser onto the offending zombie, decapitating it with a few pulls of the trigger just in time to feel a powerful axe blow come down across his back. Thankfully, the armor once again kept him from staggering as he whirled around to face the zombie who was carrying a large war axe aloft in a grey magical grip. He sent a ray of laser death into its face, turning it into awful smelling slag.

A blade stabbed into his side, attempting to find some vulnerability in the armor, and Ethan turned to find a third zombie whirling a sword around in its jaws, preparing for another strike. He dodged another blow, and sent a ray from Vengeance into the zombie’s chest, throwing it backwards as the lasers cleanly sliced through the zombie’s middle.

Before he could congratulate himself on the kill, a herd of bodies tackled him and Ethan was thrown to the snowy ground beneath a dozen zombies. He lashed out rapidly with his fists attempting to remove them, but for every one of them that he knocked off or injured another two took their place. Each and every one of them were in the process of trying to pierce, pry off, or slash through his armor; and given enough time they’d be able to.

The weight on his back suddenly vanished, and he pushed himself up with a slightly confused look on his face beneath the helmet. He found Twilight standing in front of him, at least twenty five of the zombies held aloft in her magic. Around them a purple dome surrounded the two, along with the zombies immobilized by her magic. She raised an eyebrow at him and her horn flashed once, and the zombies were torn apart in a single blast of purple.

“Ethan, you cannot do this alone, stay with me.” Twilight told him with a slightly annoyed expression on her face.

“Sorry Sparky.” Ethan said with a sigh.

“It’s fine.” Twilight replied, and then the battle resumed as she dropped the dome and the zombies attempted to swamp them.

“Would you mind sticking Vengeance in that pocket thingy that you have?” Ethan asked Twilight as he sent a few rays of red light into the encroaching zombies.

“Sure, why?” Twilight asked as she picked up two of the zombies and bashed them against each other, pulping them both.

“Because the combat is getting too close for it to be any good.” Ethan replied.

“I’ll take it, then.” Twilight said, her horn flashing.

Ethan’s hands were suddenly empty, but instead of wondering how she managed to do it so fast he simply drew the LMG off of his back. A group of charging zombies were suddenly turned into swiss cheese as a hail of 5.56 rounds roared from its barrel, each shot traveling through the zombie’s skin or armor indiscriminately.

Dark blood stained the snow and poured from the corpses, as Ethan spun to the next group, gun still blazing in his arms. The jingling of spent rounds hitting each other as they fell to the snow filled his ears, as did the loud barking of the LMG in his grasp.

Another group of zombies closed in on them and Twilight’s horn flashed again, this time grabbing the swords out of the ponies’ grasp and sending them back to attack their masters. The blades ripped through the confused zombies, decapitating or dismembering them as they streaked through the formation. Then the mare sent them flashing away from herself and into the backs of Sombra’s army that were in the process of engaging the Crystal army.

As Ethan glanced at the Crystal army, he saw disciplined lines of ponies holding back the onslaught of zombies, halberds descending to hack or crush at the grey flesh before them. The zombies responded by charging into the forward line, doing their best to drag the ponies down through sheer weight of numbers.

It was odd. Ethan and Twilight were surrounded and cut off from the Crystal army, but the zombies didn’t seem to resisting them nearly as much as they should’ve been. Instead, they had simply established an almost circular perimeter around the pair and were slowly pressing in on them.

“Sparky, they’re waiting for us to run dry.” Ethan informed Twilight while he slapped another of the 200 rounds drums into his LMG.

“I know.” Twilight replied, sending a blast of force into one of the zombies who was attempting to stab her with its spear, crushing the armor beneath the strength of the blow and jettisoning the zombie backwards into its kin.

“That’s bad.” Ethan said as he unleashed a hellish burst onto a group of the zombies who collapsed in a hole-filled bloody heap. “That means that they’re trying to take us alive.”

“So, how do we prevent that?” Twilight asked as a swath of kinetic energy swept out from her horn, slamming ten of the zombies into the snowy ground with a dramatic crunch.

“We cut through them in a concentrated spearhead of death, and make a path to Sombra’s cave.” the man answered as he moved his head to avoid having a halberd smash into his armored face. He then entered V.A.T.S and selected one shot through the zombie’s skull. The gun bucked against his shoulder and the round tore through the pony’s skull in a shower of grey gore.

“When you put it that way it almost sounds easy,” Twilight snarked as she deflected a sword blow with a concentrated shield of magic and proceeded to beat her opponent to a bloody pulp with her kinetics.

“Yeah, sounds fun right?” Ethan asked with a small chuckle as he dodged a spear thrust and filled the owner full of lead. “So, on my mark we combine our firepower and charge for the entrance, sound good?”

“Sounds good, try not to die.” Twilight replied as she sent out a concentrated burst of telekinesis to give herself a bit more space.

“Me? Die? Ha!” Ethan said with another chuckle while he reloaded his LMG. “Alright, mark!”

Ethan spun in the direction of the cave, and unleashed a storm of bullets on the zombies in their way.

________________________________________

Shining Star walked through the darkness, shivering with cold and worry. His entire body ached from the walking, and his throat was raw from all of the crying he’d done. For a while he’d tried simply staying one place, but every time he’d done that he’d been attacked by shadows, who bit into his flesh and tore out great meaty chunks. Thankfully, they seemed to grow back and proved to be non-fatal, but they still hurt horribly and the little foal was woefully unprepared for that type of pain.

Tears stained the fur around his eyes and even as he walked through the blackness. Around him, he felt the shadows nipping at his heels like a pack of vicious dogs. Adding to his pain and terror was the voice. It was a twisted mockery of his own, deep and undulating with a powerful undercurrent of sadism and evil.

Little foal, little foal, where are you little foal? Do you shine in the night like a star? If so, would you shine a little brighter so that I can find you? The voice asked him mockingly.

The foal did his best to ignore the voice and continued on through the darkness. He let out a high pitched shriek of pain as a needle of pain shot up his hoof and he stumbled to his knees, his body convulsing with agony.

Ah, there you are. The voice said with a mocking chuckle. Shine for me little star, let your red pain illuminate the night!

________________________________________

Sombra let out a deep amused laugh as he lounged on his throne. Nightmare looked at him, expecting him to say something, but the stallion simply shook his hoof in a dismissing gesture. Nightmare nodded, and her paws began to glow with an inky blackness. As she did so, an image of the battle up above came into being in the air before them.

The Crystal Army appeared to be faring better than either of them had expected, repulsing wave after wave of the zombies with quick and well practiced movements. However, there were too many of the enemy and they would soon tire and join their undead comrades.

More importantly, it appeared that Ethan and Twilight were nearing the cave entrance. They were both soaked in ancient blood and strips of zombified flesh hung from their armor. Despite that, they both appeared to be physically fine with the exception of a gash across one of Twilight’s shoulders, which was caked with her own dry blood.

“They seem to be nearing us, and they’re both in far too good of condition for our plans,” Nightmare said with a frown. Sombra looked up at the image and frowned for a moment before chuckling.

“Fear not my little Nightmare, I did not only lose soldiers at this battle all those years ago.” Sombra said with a grin.

“Oh?”

“Indeed, I also lost an old dragon friend of mine, whose soul and body I have claim over.” Sombra explained with a grin.

“A dragon?” Nightmare asked, her brows raising in surprise.

“Yes. A small one, but still a dragon.” Sombra replied.

“And you didn’t mention this dragon to me before because?” Nightmare asked him, her voice losing a bit of its pitifulness.

“Because I enjoy surprising those around me.” the stallion said with another dark chuckle.

Nightmare looked at him for a moment then shook her head. “I apologize for my impertinence master.”

“It’s alright my little Nightmare, after all you know I am your superior at heart.” Sombra boasted.

“Yes, of course master.” Nightmare agreed as she turned away from him and stalked towards the exit of the room, her long black tail lashing out behind her.

“Going up to retrieve our guests?” Sombra called out after her.

Nightmare nodded. “I will retrieve them; do you have the proper restraints prepared for Sparkle?”

“Of course, second dungeon on the right.” Sombra answered. “The walls are lined with magic resistant stone that she won’t be able to break out of, and there’s a dampening field in place that no creature below an alicorn could possibly overcome.”

“Excellent.” Nightmare said, turning back and giving Sombra a fanged smile before she departed.

________________________________________

Ethan’s shock sword slashed out to the left, decapitating a hapless zombie. The red-bladed sword in his right hand knocked aside a thrusting spear, before skewing the wielder through the chest. A burst of fire to his right indicated that Twilight had caught up with him, as did the four burning zombie corpses.

“You know, I wish I’d brought my Shishkebab, then we could be having a good old fashioned ghoul barbeque.” Ethan told Twilight with a small chuckle as he ducked under a decapitating swing of a sword, and proceeded to de-limb the bearer.

“How do you even know what a barbeque is?” Twilight asked as she roasted a ghoul to his second death with a small blast of fire.

Ethan chuckled. “Oh, I read about them. They sound fun!” A rusted spearpoint smashed into his chest, but the T-51b repelled the blow harmlessly. The man shot forward and used his swords to slice the unfortunate zombie’s head off.

Twilight snorted and growled in pain as a sword slashed across her armored shoulder, causing a bruise to form. “Ethan, I hope we’re almost through... I’m running low on fuel for my fire.” she told him as she sent another gout at the pony with the sword.

“I can see the cave entrance, we’re almost the-” Ethan was cut off by a thunderous roar.

The man looked up to see a truly terrifying sight. Soaring out of the sky at him and Twilight was a giant, grotesque, zombified dragon. Grey scales and flapping loose flesh covered its body, five large ribs showing through the chest. As it flew down at them, Ethan could make out individual organs that used to beat with life, but were now decomposed, with a rotten, yellow and green color tint. White, sightless eyes gazed at the pair and it let out another roar.

“OH, FUCK YOU!” Ethan shouted at it.

“Ethan... that’s a zombified dragon.” Twilight stating the obvious, her voice wavering in fear.

“Yeah, no shit Sparky.” Ethan replied, his voice full of frustration.

The dragon landed in front of them with a bone shattering crash, a gust of foul, decaying flesh-smelling air washed over the two and it reared back its head to roar again. The foul smell only intensified as the unholy roar echoed in the man and mare’s ears.

“Okay, you know what? I’m officially sick of this place Twilight.” Ethan told her. “If it wasn’t bad enough that there’s a psychotic demon who wants to mentally rape me, there’s also an army of zombies headed by a FUCKING DRAGON!”

The dragon opened its mouth, and loose a torrent of fire. Twilight, having predicted the move, created force field just in time to deflect the flames.

“Perhaps we could have this conversation latter?” She asked with a raised eyebrow. “You know, when we’re not in danger of being burned to death?”

“Fine, but I’m filing a complaint to Sunny, this place is officially the worst vacation spot that I know, and I’ve been to the GOD DAMNED SIERRA MADRE!” He replied heatedly.

Twilight rolled her eyes as beads of sweat began to run down her face. “Anyways, once his fire stops we need to think of a plan.”

“I’ve already got one, I kill it.” Ethan replied.

“But Ethan, it’s a dragon. Remember what happened the last time?” Twilight asked worriedly.

“Yeah, but this time I’m wearing power armor. Besides Sparky, I’ve got you with me.” Ethan told her, a fierce grin forming underneath his helmet.

The fire slackened and then died, revealing Ethan and Twilight to be perfectly fine. This, understandably, annoyed the dragon, who let out another ear shattering roar. It swept a claw at them.

The red bladed sword rose up to meet the claw just as it neared them, and the man got sent over backwards. “Oh shut up, we heard you the first time you bastard!” Ethan shouted at it as he attempted to get back to his feet. “Get some new material you zombified jackass!”

The dragon let out an amused chuckle, making the rotten organs in its chest jiggle.

“Alright, that’s it. You sir, are getting your ass kicked!” Ethan yelled.

The dragon sent its clawed hand down at him, forcing the man to dodge to the side. “Why didn’t I bring Cassie’s Red Glare?” he muttered to himself. “That would’ve made this so much easier...”

“Ethan, this isn’t the time to talk to yourself!” Twilight shouted, she was currently trying to keep from being surrounded by several of the other zombies, who seemed to be allowing the dragon to play with Ethan without interference.

Ethan shook his head and dodged again, barely avoiding being flattened by a giant fist. “Alright, I’ve had just about enough of you!” He told the dragon, annoyance welling up in his tone.

With a roar of his own the man charged the dragon, sword held high. The dragon’s tail shot out and bashed into him, sending him flying several feet and ending up in a snowbank. It then leaned forwards, and unleashed a gout of fire on the man. The snow around him melted under the intense heat, but that, combined with his armor, kept Ethan from becoming a canned good.

He scowled at it, and pulled his 12.7mm submachine gun off of his hip and unleashed a stream of bullets into the dragon. Unfortunately, they didn’t seem to be having much effect, only bouncing off the scales or flying through the rotten flesh beneath, not harming the dragon in the least.

A large fist caught Ethan in the chest, and he was sent tumbling into Twilight, who had just finished her group of zombies.

“So, how’re you doing?” Twilight asked casually.

“Shut up Sparky.” Ethan replied with a snarl.

“I think I may know how to kill it.” the unicorn told him.

“Really? How?” He asked in confusion.

“Well... how do you feel about being thrown?” Twilight asked him in reply as she formed another barrier, just in time to deflect oncoming flames.

Ethan stared at her through the helmet for a moment and then began to chuckle. “For a second there Sparky, I thought you asked me how I felt about being thrown, but that would be crazy.”

Twilight gave him a flat stare despite the sweat pouring off of her body as she struggled to maintain the protective barrier. “That’s what you do right? Crazy Son of a Bitch?”

Ethan groaned. “Fine... just give me a second.” he stretched his back for a moment and then grasped his sword with both hands. “Alright, I’m ready.”

The mare nodded, her horn glowing brighter as she grabbed the extremely heavy man and prepared to launch him, sword first. Then, as the fire was slackening she sent him rocketing towards the dragon.

Ethan slammed into the dragon’s head, sword impaling it through the neck. “HA! WHAT NOW YOU ROTTING BASTARD?” Ethan shouted at it it as he clung to his sword with both hands.

The dragon didn’t seem to notice him, and Ethan began to rock up and down in an attempt to pull the blade out of the squishy tissue, electing squirts of black blood that smeared his armor. His efforts seemed to be in vain, and the dragon took no notice of him as it leered down at Twilight. Then... Ethan’s sword started to slide downwards, just an inch, but it was enough to give him an idea.

The man’s eyes widened within his helmet and he began to jiggle himself up and down even faster. With a wet squelch the blade began to slide downward, Ethan’s body weight propelling it. As he forced the blade downwards it began to speed up, opening a huge gash in the dragon’s chest.

“WOOOHOO!” Ethan roared as gravity began to take even greater effect and he rocketed down the dragon’s body, the dead flesh giving way beneath his blade. Within thirty seconds, although it seemed much longer to the man, he’d run out of flesh and his blade detached from within the dragon and he fell to the snowy ground right below.

The dragon paused in the middle of its attempt to attack Twilight and looked down at itself, shock plain in its expression. Then the thing’s center split open, and a large pile of rotten organs slid out onto the cold snow, several narrowly avoiding Ethan. The dragon began to topple, and the man jumped to his feet and began to run.

“Shit shit shit shit shit!” Ethan muttered loudly as he ran, trying to get out of the dragon’s shadow.

Just as he was about to outpace the shadow the body fell upon him, throwing him to the ground and crushing him with its immense weight. All that escaped was his head and neck, along with his outstretched hands. If not for his power armor he would’ve been dead instantly from the colossal weight, but instead he merely felt half the bones in his body snap, and then knit back together.

He made a desperate movement with hands, trying to pull himself out from underneath the dragon’s weight, but it was hopeless.

Twilight ran up to him, shouting something, but he couldn’t hear her; his world had gone white with pain. As he lay there, he saw a dark shadow depart the cave entrance and stalk towards Twilight. He wanted to shout a warning, but nothing came out. A knife suddenly slashed across Twilight’s neck, and the unicorn collapsed in a spray of blood.

My my my, what have we here? The voice that had been haunting his dreams asked in his head as a feline face bent down to meet his eyes. You’ve been such a good little boy, now fall asleep. the voice commanded.

Then the cat put a paw on Ethan’s face, and the man’s vision faded into inky blackness.

Author's Note:

This chapter marks the beginning of end, there are maybe four to five chapters of story left followed by one or two of conclusion, thanks for sticking with me guys!

Also, this wasn't so much edited as helped along by the ever awesome Omega_Code, go check his stuff out!