• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 19,674 Views, 1,847 Comments

Light Wanderings - ed2481



Ethan Smith The Lone Wanderer goes to Equestria, hilarity ensues

  • ...
66
 1,847
 19,674

Chapter 14

Edited by TacoTown

Chapter 14

Ethan and Twilight flashed back into Jonathan’s cave to find the dragon talking with two very frightened pegasi.

“Oh look, they’re back.” The giant red dragon said as he turned to look at where Twilight and Ethan now stood. “Wearing new armour too by the looks of it.” He added.

“Yeah, sorry but I needed to pick some stuff up from home.” Ethan told the pegasi, who exchanged a look and then shrugged. Who were they to argue with the man who had survived a fight with an ancient dragon and who was now wearing extremely intimidating armor?

“It’s fine sir, we’ve only been here a few minutes.” Adamant replied.

“Good, and don’t call me sir. I’m not your commanding officer, call me Ethan.” Ethan told him with a sigh. “Thanks for the ale and the sword.” He said with a nod to Jonathan, and then walked out of the cave without a backwards glance.


“I thought he was supposed to be happy all the time.” Adamant whispered to Resolute.

“He was nearly consumed by my fire; tell me how cheerful you are after that.” Jonathan grumbled. “Now I’d like you all to leave. This is more company then I’ve had in the last thousand years and I have a nap to take.” The dragon added.

“But I need to talk to you about som-” Twilight began, but the dragon interrupted her.

“Has anyone ever told you how good ponies taste with ketchup?” The dragon asked.

“No…” Twilight said.

“The answer is very good.” Jonathan replied. Twilight and the two guards exchanged a look, and then sprinted towards the exit. The dragon chuckled a bit before resting his head against the ground and shutting his eyes.

***

Shining Armour was furious. While he’d been out leading the assault on the diamond dogs, which was apparently completely unnecessary thanks to Ethan and his sister being there, his son had been kidnapped! Shining had been so angry in fact that it’d taken him twenty minutes of demolishing practice dummies to get himself calmed down enough to hold a reasonable conversation with anyone. He’d then thoroughly interviewed both the guards and the assassin, whose teeth he wanted to break, and come up with nothing to track except for vague suggestion of heading north. Cadence, who was sitting next to him on their bed, was equally angry, although her anger was focused on herself.

“I just let him jump out the window!” She exclaimed for what must have been the twentieth time.

“I don’t blame you Cadence. From what he says you actually managed to hit him, unlike the majority of the guards after him.” Shining said, reassuring his wife. He knew from experience that the last thing she needed to be doing was blaming herself for this.

“Still, I should’ve done something!” She said with an angry snort. “It’s not like this is the first time I’ve been defenceless either.” She added with a frown as she thought back to Chrysalis kidnapping her.

“So you want combat training?” Shining asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes!” Cadence said as she nodded her head emphatically.

“Hmm… Yes I can train you, at least in some minor forms of self-defense.” Shining said after a few moments of silent thinking.

“Thank you Shine. First though, we have to worry about the Gala.” She said with a frown.

“Wait, the Gala is coming up?” Shining asked in confusion.

“Yes, did you forget?” Cadence asked with a sigh.

“Sorry dear, I’ve been more preoccupied with preventing a war between two nations who are only using negotiations as a tool to mock each other.” Shining said dryly. “Oh, and then I was called away to fight diamond dogs while our son was kidnapped.” He added. “So excuse me if I haven’t been paying the closest attention to the nobles and their stupid party!” He finished angrily. Cadence flinched under his angry glare. Shining sighed; he hadn’t meant to explode on her like that. “I’m sorry Cadence; I’m just under a lot of stress right now.” Shining told his wife.

“And I’m not?” Cadence replied heatedly. “Shine, I almost died. Kane could’ve killed me easily if it was his primary objective instead of an afterthought in his employer’s mind. Not only that but I’ve spent just as much, if not more, time keeping the ambassadors from killing each other.” She told him.

“Yeah, I guess you have.” Shining said with a long sigh. “Look Cadence, you know I didn’t mean to sound condescending.”

“I know Shine, I’m just a little shook up from all this.” His wife told him before she leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“So, when is the Gala?” Shining asked.

“It’s tonight.” Cadence said simply.

“This is going to suck.” Shining said with a groan.

“At least Ethan will be there, I’m sure that you two will be able to keep each other entertained.” Cadence said, trying to raise her husband’s spirits.

“I don’t know. He went absolutely berserk in the cave with the dogs. Hell, I’ve never seen someone that angry before.” Shining said with a slight shudder. “There’s something wrong with him Cadence, he wasn’t like that at all last time I saw him.”

“Maybe if you gave him a pep talk? I know that your guards usually feel better after one of those.” Cadence suggested. Their conversation was interrupted by knocking at their door.

“Captain, your sister has returned with Ethan, I thought that you’d like to see them.” Shining recognized the voice; it was Bluestreak, the commander of the Lunar Guard.

“Thank you Bluestreak, I’ll be right there.” Shining replied.

“Of course sir.” Bluestreak said before walking back towards the courtyard.

“Do you want to come too Cadence?” Shining asked his wife, who nodded while he got off of the bed and headed towards the door.

“Sure, why not?” She replied with a shrug as she rose off the bed and followed her husband.

***

Kane stood awkwardly in the doorway of the Lunar Guard barracks. Sitting around the commons staring at him angrily were the members of the Lunar Guard who he’d led through the city last night. Princess Luna was standing beside him and Kane had the oddest feeling that her presence was the only thing keeping him from being torn apart. He recognized the white maned sergeant who had confronted him right before he’d used the one time teleportation spell, eyeing him warily along with a young looking red maned draconic pegasus, who looked strangely excited to see him.

“Ohh, Princess! Do we get to beat him up? huh huh huh huh huh?” The red maned pegasus asked rapidly while he flew up to Kane and began to jab at the cat. Kane followed his every strike, fully aware that it would only take one or two moves to kill the kid. Not that Kane planned to, it’s just that old habits die hard. Well, actually old habits die easier than new habits. Mostly because new habits are usually worse than the old ones, in Kane’s case this meant that he graduated from robbing rich assholes to shoving his knife through rich assholes.

“Be silent Storm.” Luna commanded.

“I can’t really be anything else Princess, it’s my name after all. And I can’t change my name without going through customs and everyone knows that that takes forever!” The pegasus said with a wide grin. Luna shook her head with a chuckle.

“I really walked into that one, didn’t I?” She asked the rest of the assembled guards who chuckled a bit themselves. Kane felt a bit of the pressure that had settled over the room defuse slightly, although he could still tell that each and every guard was still looking for ways to kill him. Kane mostly ignored it; he’d been stared at angrily by much scarier things than a bunch of draconic pegasi and unicorns with a fetish for black and silver armour. That being said he was pretty sure that they’d kick his ass…

“So why is he here Mistress?” A purple maned unicorn with the insignia of a major on his armour asked.

“He’s here to become a member of the Lunar Guard.” Luna answered casually. The effect was immediate. Kane had heard bar fights quieter. Stallions and mares had risen to their hooves to argue against the decision. Although Kane did notice that all of the anger and mistrust was being hurled specifically at him, not one insult was thrown at the Princess.

“You expect us to let this assassin into our ranks?” The white maned sergeant asked incredulously.

“This asshat led us on a chase through the bucking city!” A pegasus nursing a black eye shouted.

“He’s a blood thirsty murder!” One of the female guards added.

“He’s a cat!” Someone else shouted pointing out the obvious.

“He kidnapped Prince Shining Star!” Another shouted.

“And he smells bad!” The Silent Storm added.

“I understand your concerns, except for yours Silent, and I know that I’m asking a lot of you in order for you to accept him as one of your own.” Luna said calmly while she met each of their eyes in one slow sweeping gaze. “However, I’m asking you to trust me as your friend, comrade, and princess on this decision.”

That quieted them at once, Kane’s golden eyes widened slightly in surprise. To quiet them so quickly she must have commanded a great deal of their respect. Added to that was the way that she’d phrased it. She hadn’t made it an order; she’d made a request, one that could be turned down if the guards so wished to. That spoke volumes to someone as experienced as Kane was. Not that he’d had a lot of contact with disciplining soldiers, but he’d been involved with enough groups to know that those who got what they wanted via asking instead of commanding were far more likely to truly respect their men.

“Princess we’ll follow you to the gates of Tartarus if you ask us to and wrestle down Cerberus if we need to…” A grizzled old dark purple stallion said in a voice that still cracked with power despite his obviously advantaged age. “…But if you want us to accept this… Cat into our ranks then you need to give us an explanation.” He gave Kane a level gaze and Kane was suddenly reminded of one of old cats he’d gone to for training when he’d first decided on his new career. The old cat had beaten Kane within an inch of his life while blindfolded and Kane had the oddest feeling that this old guard had the same capability.

“Of course, my noble guards.” Luna said with a nod before she continued. “I wouldn’t ask it of you otherwise.” Her voice was calm and soothing. Kane found himself floating away on the melody of her words but at the last minute, and with an enormous amount of willpower, he kept himself from becoming too distracted to pay attention.

“So…?” The white maned guard asked.

“He was being manipulated.” Luna stated simply. This won several raised eyebrows, but nothing more from the guards. “A week ago he was drugged and then made to sign a magically binding contract in his own blood. This contract essentially took away a large portion of his free will and forced to kidnap our prince. Despite his condition he managed to avoid killing Princess Cadence, any civilians, guards, or anyone else that I’m aware of.” Luna explained calmly. The guards still regarded Kane warily, but he was pretty sure that he saw something close to sympathy in a few of their eyes.

“Ma’am with all due respect if he’s under the mental influence of the ones who kidnapped the Prince then wouldn’t it be wisest to simply lock him up somewhere instead of making him a member of one of the most trusted organizations in the kingdom, thereby giving him access to a phenomenal amount of resources along with full knowledge of our plans?” Silent Storm asked breathlessly. Kane chuckled; he’d had the same thought already. Luna smiled slightly and nodded.

“Yes, that would make sense, if he hadn’t already proved himself perfectly capable of escaping from my best chains in fewer than thirty minutes.” Luna explained.

“It wasn’t the bondage stuff was it? Because Bluestreak says that all you have to do is pull the strap right between-” Silent began but was cut off by a slightly annoyed snort from Luna.

“No Silent, I didn’t use my bondage gear.” Luna said slightly with a slight groan.

“Good, because that would be really really weird.” Silent said with a grin. The rest of the guard regarded him with looks that ranged from tired to annoyed and everywhere in-between. Kane found himself liking the kid more and more.

“Anyways, we can’t hold him through traditional means so I’ve devised a solution.” Luna continued. “As you all know very well, entrance into the Lunar Guard requires you to take an oath that permanently removes you from any previous contract including marriage contracts, although I’ve been told that they no longer have those these days so that part is rather worthless now…” Luna said, trailing off for a second. “…No matter, I’m glad to see the back end of such things, although it did mean that the old guard had quite a few noble mares in it.” Luna said with a shrug.

“So what you’re saying is that if I join your guard then I’ll be free of the preexisting contract, even though I signed it in my blood which should render it completely void meaning that besides my temporary obligation to you I’ll be a free cat again?” Kane asked, just to make sure that he understood what she was saying.

“That is correct Kane, with one fairly minor condition.” Luna said with a slight smile.

“Oh, and what would that be?” Kane asked cautiously. In his experience, conditions were a bad thing. For example if a queen said that she wanted you to ravish her for an entire night in a nonstop orgy of pleasure, but with the condition that you had to do it without her husband knowing about it while he slept across the hallway. Then again that had been a fairly fun night, well, except the part where her husband had almost had him beheaded because the damned queen couldn’t keep her damn mouth shut.

“Well the oath is unbreakable and inescapable.” Luna told him. “In other words it’s permanent, once you join the Lunar Guard you’re in it for life.”

The blood drained away from Kane’s face. Permanent… Kane didn’t like permanent things… Permanent meant boring unchanging blandness. He’d never again know the joy of running across rooftops at midnight while a squadron of idiot household guards chased him fruitlessly. The rules of his life’s code would no longer apply to him, and instead he’d be bound to those of the Lunar Guard. On the other paw, at least he doubted that there would be a lot of restrictions on sex, from what he’d heard Luna was the go-to mare for stuff like that.

“Oh, and we have you gelded.” Luna added.

Kane moved faster than most eyes could see heading straight for the door. He would’ve made it if Luna hadn’t grabbed him in her magic. She dangled the struggling cat in the air upside down in front of her with a smirk on her face. Kane meanwhile was hissing and clawing at her.

“You’re not gelding me! I like my dick and testicles just the way they are you crazy moon-addled bitch! I wouldn’t let you anywhere near them even if you promised me a tensome with nine of the most beautiful queens in the world! Even if you could get me a night with Bast herself!” Kane shouted while he floated upside down in front of Luna, who regarded him with a wider smirk.

“Kane, I was kidding.” She said with a chuckle. The cat’s fur was standing on end and his cloak was now ruffled and messy. His whiskers twitched and his eyes narrowed.

“You don’t joke about that. Not EVER! I’ve had to many close calls for me not to take them all seriously, honestly the first few times that a lover who I annoyed threatened me that way it was funny. Then one of them almost fucking did with a rusty freaking CARVING KNIFE” Kane shouted while he twitched visibly. Luna’s eyes were wide with surprise, as were those of the guards. It was the first time that she’d seen the cat visibly agitated.

“I’m so sorry Kane, I didn’t know.” Luna apologized as she set the cat gently down on the ground. He knelt on all fours and began to slowly pat down his fur starting with his arms and chest, slowly working his way down to his tail and legs. He didn’t look up the entire time that he did it, and all the while Luna and the guards stared at him. When he was done, Kane slowly returned to his rear feet and gave Luna a hard look.

“I know you didn’t, but forgive me for being touchy about something like that when it involves a binding contract after my recent experience.” The cat told her as he began to clean the claws of his right paw with is tongue.

“So would you kindly take my offer?” Luna asked.

“Not if you ask it like that.” Kane told her, for some reason there was an odd glint in his eyes but it passed quickly.

“Would you please accept my offer?” Luna tried again.

“Sure, as long as I’m not being gelded, and it’ll get rid of my preexisting contract. Oh, and you have no problem with your members sleeping around, do you? Because that’s one of my specialties.” Kane replied with a shrug.

“I’m not a hypocrite.” Luna replied with a chuckle.

“Alright then, draw me up an oath to say and let’s get this show on the road. Oh, and beer. I could really do with a beer, or vodka, or a martini, or a margarita. Oh! Or tequila, I love that stuff, or at least I think I do I don’t remember much after my third bottle but I usually end up in a queen’s bed so I love it!”

***

Ethan’s carriage touched down in the courtyard and was met by Princess Celestia, Princess Cadence, Shining Armor, and both Ambassadors. There were several raised eyebrows from the assembled nobles as their eyes scanned over Ethan’s new armour and his lack of hair, which was already growing back, along with the still fairly noticeable burn marks that covered his face and neck.

“What happened to you two Twily?” Shining asked his sister.

“Ethan fought a 20,000 year old dragon and lost. So we decided to take a quick trip to his house and picked up some new toys.” Twilight replied casually. Ethan nodded with a slight frown on his face as he looked at the two ambassadors.

“I’d just like to tell you that if either of your people start a war with no purpose then I will end you. I will do it so completely that history will forget that you even existed and even the few that do still remember you will speak of you only in depths of night at a whisper for fear that I will find them. I will burn your cities to ashes as I hunt down your women and children and I will slowly tear them apart limb by limb until there’s nothing left but tiny giblets of gore. Your men shall be driven through stakes and kept alive as they rot upon them for a week. All these things and more will I do if you start a war for the sake of war because I will NOT let you ruin this land in the name of glory. Remember that next time you’re at the negotiating table” Ethan told them before turning back to Twilight. “I’m taking a nap.” With that done Ethan walked past the two startled ambassadors and headed towards his room. A shocked silence fell across the courtyard as Ethan’s words echoed through the ears of the assembled diplomats. Finally, Nymira spoke.

“What the hell happened to him?” She asked, although her voice sounded somewhat strangled.

“He got roasted for a full ten minutes worth of fire from a 20,000 year old dragon, and then got up and kept fighting the thing naked.” Twilight replied simply.

“But no one could survive that much dragon’s fire!” Sharp protested.

“Ethan can and did.” Twilight said.

“That poor, poor man. He must be in so much pain.” Cadence said with a sorry shake of her head.

“More then you know Cadence, more then you know.” Twilight told the pink alicorn. “Tia, I need to talk to Luna. Do you know where she is?” Twilight asked, turning to Celestia.

“I believe that she is throwing a party for her newest recruit, you’ll find her in the Lunar Guard barracks.” Celestia told her mare with a smile. “Oh, and Twilight, don’t forget that the Gala is tonight.” Celestia added.

“It is?!” Twilight asked in surprise.

“We talked about it before Ethan got here. Don’t you remember?” Celestia asked Twilight, who shook her head rapidly.

“No, I’d completely forgotten… Well I’m sure Rarity didn’t, so she’ll probably have a dress for me and I can ask her to whip up something quick for Ethan.” Twilight said after tilting her head slightly to the side for a few seconds while she thought.

“I would think so.” Celestia told her with a reassuring nod.

“Thanks for the reminder Tia.” Twilight told the alicorn before she teleported away.

“You have an interesting relationship with your ‘student’ Princess.” Nymira said with a chuckle.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Celestia said aloofly, although a small grin was working its way across her lips.

***

Luna was enjoying herself. She was in her element among her guard. Lt Moonshadow was being tossed in the air by her squad mates, while she sang an extremely dirty song about being in heat that almost made even Luna blush. To the right old Captain Gengar, was telling some of the younger guardsmen a story about the time he’d fought off an entire town full of psychic earth ponies. Sargent Brighteyes meanwhile, was busy regaling several if the other officers with the tale of his nighttime adventure with the famous mare Cloudkicker, much to the annoyance of several of the other Kickers in the room who were shooting him glares. Luna somehow managed to repress a chuckle. She’d spent a night in a prison cell with the wily blue mare; it had been one of her best nights since before she’d been banished. Her newest recruit was busy talking to Silent Storm. Apparently Kane had always been a big talker even without the contract so Silent had finally found someone who could keep track of what he was saying. Luna was just about to go up to the cat and ask him a few questions when Twilight Sparkle flashed into existence in front of her.

“Come to join the party Twilight?” Luna asked with a smirk.

“Sadly, no. I need your help Luna.” Twilight told the alicorn, who nodded.

“I suppose I can leave the children alone for an hour or so.” Luna said with a chuckle as she glanced over her shoulder in time to see a small brawl develop behind her. “What do you need Twilight?” Luna asked turning back to Twilight.

“Ethan’s taking a nap. I need you to do a little poking around in his head.” Twilight told Luna simply.

“Twilight we both know I don’t do invasive searches.” Luna told the purple mare who nodded.

“I know that Princess, all I’m asking is for you to take a look around.” Twilight said.

“That’s still rather unscrupulous Twilight, what do you think he would do if he knew that I was viewing his most private of thoughts?” Luna asked Twilight who frowned worriedly.

“I don’t know Princess, what I do know is that he’s becoming increasingly unstable and if I don’t know more soon then I won’t be able to help him. And if I can’t help him then…well I’d hate to see how long it would take to make him either back down, or to kill him.” As she said the last part Twilight’s voice broke. Luna closed her eyes in thought as her magic grabbed a beer bottle heading for her head out of the air and chucked it back in the direction of brawl. At last she opened her eyes and nodded.

“I’ll do this Twilight, on one condition.” Luna said.

“Anything.” Twilight said with a quick nod.

“I’m asking for his permission before I go in. I will not violate his mind Twilight.” Luna said, fixing the unicorn with a stern look.

“But what it he says no?!” Twilight asked with a small stomp of her metallic hoof.

“Then you’ll be forced to use conventional means. I will not mention that this is your idea if you don’t want me to, although I’d think that he would think about it in a more positive light if he knew it was from you.” Luna said; her voice brooked no argument.

“I… Of course Princess, you can tell him that it’s my idea.” Twilight said after a half second of hesitation.

“Twilight, are you alright?” Luna asked softly.

“I’m fine Princess; I’m just a little tired after the last two days. They’ve been rather hectic.” Twilight said with a sigh.

“I can see that, after all it’s not every day that somepony assaults a camp of diamond dogs and then helps their friend fight a dragon.” Luna said, giving Twilight a small wink.

“Thanks for understanding Princess.” Twilight said giving the alicorn a slightly sheepish grin.

“You’re welcome Twilight. I’ll go to Ethan’s room in one second.” Luna told Twilight with a smile before she turned back to the growing brawl behind her. “You’re all responsible for cleaning this place so I don’t want to hear any whining tonight about not being able to go to the Gala because you were too busy mopping the barracks!” She shouted above the noise. The brawl stopped and the participants looked up at Luna in slight embarrassment. A unicorn mare currently had a pegasus suspended in midair, while earth pony was in the middle of punching a unicorn in the jaw. Twilight couldn’t hold in her amusement which burst out of her as a light giggle at the odd positions that they’d frozen in.

“Errrm, understood Princess.” One of them said, smiling at Luna who chuckled.

“Unfortunately, I have business that I must see to so I won’t be able to stay here any longer and enjoy your company.” Luna said. This news was greeted by many groans and moans. “However, you all have the rest of the day and night off along with free entry to the Gala.” She added with a grin. The guards let out a cheer, except for Kane who was too busy talking to Silent.

“We’ll see you there Princess!” The guards shouted, somehow managing to all say it at the same time before turning back to their entertainments.

“Ah… This reminds me of the glory days.” Luna said with a nostalgic smile.

“Well, I need to go see Rarity about getting a dress for the Gala.” Twilight told the alicorn, who nodded.

“I’ll see you at the Gala then Twilight, but first I need to go and have a talk with Ethan.”

***

Rainbow Dash was reading a Daring Doo novel while she sat in a chair inside her palace room. Suddenly, she was interrupted by the sound of someone knocking on her door. Dash sighed. This was the first time in the last few days that she’d had time to read thanks to all of the stuff that was going on around Canterlot. The knocking became even louder.

“Alright alright I’m coming, geez.” Dash said. She flew to the door and opened it quickly. Standing in front of the door with a raised eyebrow was none other than Princess Gilda the griffin. Before Gilda could even open her beak to speak, Dash rushed through the doorway and clasped her forelegs around Gilda in an enthusiastic hug which the griffin quickly leaned into.

“Hey there Dash, did you miss me?” Gilda asked with a chuckle once the chromatic pegasus had loosened her grip.

“You’re damned right I missed you, it’s been weeks G!” Dash exclaimed.

“And all I get is a hug; typical ponies.” Gilda said with a grin. Dash rolled her eyes.

“Would you prefer me to start French kissing you in the hallway where any servant can see it?” Dash asked, causing Gilda to chuckle.

“Maybe.” Gilda said while giving Dash a conspiratorial wink.

“You know, most princesses are a little quieter about this sort of thing.” Dash said with a chuckle as Gilda walked into her room and she shut the door firmly behind her.

“Have you even heard of what Princess Luna gets up to Dash? Honestly, I don’t think I could ever even make most of it up.” Gilda said with a smirk.

“Yeah, but Luna is a goddess. What are people going to do, mock her?” Dash asked with a grin.

“Well Dash, my people generally don’t care about simple things like who their princess has sex with. It’s mostly thanks to our whole lifebonding thing.” Gilda replied with a shrug as she moved over to Dash’s bed and took a seat. Dash landed beside her and leaned into the griffin’s side.

“So what’re you doing here anyways? I thought that your dad was keeping you in the capital until this whole thing blew over.” Dash asked.

“Well it’s the Grand Galloping Gala tonight, so I was able to convince him that I would be needed to smooth relations.” Gilda explained with a grin “Not that I’m not fully confident that Aunt Nymira can do a good job of that without me of course.” She added with a chuckle.

“Ambassador Nymira is your AUNT?” Dash asked in surprise.

“Umm, duh. Come on D, I even introduced you to her last time you came over.” Gilda said with a chuckle and a shake of her head.

“Oh right, now I remember…” Dash said before trailing off. “Although in this case you can’t really blame me, I was drunk most of that trip.”

“You and my father…” Gilda said with a smirk. “You know I was worried that you two wouldn’t get along, then he offers you a mug of beer and you’re best friends.”

“What can I say, I like my beer.” Dash said with a grin.

“Anyways, what’s been going on around here?” Gilda asked.

“Hmm… well, your aunt has been making passes at everything that moves.” Dash began.

“That sounds about right for her.” Gilda said.

“Then Twilight brought her friend Ethan here, and he’s been helping keep things calm, and fighting and stuff.” Dash continued. “Oh, and then all the children in Ponyville were kidnapped by diamond dogs.” Dash said; Gilda’s gasped in surprise. “But we got them all back with only a few injuries, so don’t worry too much about it.” Dash added quickly and Gilda’s features returned to normal. “And now you’re here and we’re going to have sex before it’s time for us to go to the Gala.” Dash finished with a grin.

“I think I can agree to that.” Gilda said with a grin as she bent down to begin a kiss.

“Damn right you can.” Dash said before she leaned in.

***

Ethan lay in bed half naked, unable to get to sleep. The rapidly fading burns that covered his body still pained him, and he could still feel the dragon’s fire eating away at him. Behind that was the deep ache that he’d been carrying with him since Lamplight. He shook his head in an effort to chase away the memories of their scarred faces staring at him. Unfortunately, that allowed older memories to surface that he hadn’t thought about for a long time; memories of his old home in the Vault, memories of Amata. Ethan frowned, he’d let go of his grief over the event a long time ago but it resurfaced from time to time for reasons that still eluded him.

A knock at the door interrupted his thoughts. Ethan thought about not answering it. It was most likely Twilight come to have another talk with him. He sighed. Ethan loved the purple unicorn as a friend and companion, but she just didn’t understand what it meant to lose her home. Then again, it could be Celestia who Ethan was starting to like, he didn’t know why exactly, but despite his original misgivings about the elder alicorn she was beginning to grow on him. Ethan pushed the blanket off of his bare chest and walked over to the door. He waited for a second as he let out a long breath, and then opened the door to find the completely unexpected form of Princess Luna standing there. The dark blue alicorn looked over Ethan and then nodded once.

“Umm, hi. Can I help you Princess?” Ethan asked.

“No, but I think I can help you.” Luna replied with a gentle smile.

“I’m married.” Ethan said, simply causing Luna to chuckle.

“I’m well aware of that.”

“So you’re not here to cheer me up with sex?” Ethan asked.

“Not at all.” Luna replied with a shake of her head.

“Alright, so why are you here?” Ethan asked as he stepped out of the doorway and allowed the alicorn to enter his room. Luna stepped in gracefully, and looked around for a few seconds before she sat down in a chair next to the alicorn sized bed that he been moved into Ethan’s room so that he would have a suitable place to sleep.

“Twilight Sparkle is worried about you.” Luna told Ethan, who nodded.

“I know, but there’s nothing that she can say to me to help.” Ethan replied.

“I agree. My sister’s lover and student may be wise beyond her years, but she has yet really experienced true sorrow.” Luna said with a small frown.

“Your sister helped a bit.” Ethan confided.

“I’m sure she did, Celly is very good at talking to people. She’s had a long time to work on it.” Luna said with a light chuckle.

“Yeah, I’m sure she has.” Ethan agreed before turning to Luna. “So that leaves me wondering why you’re here.”

“I’m here to take a look inside your mind to see if there’s anything that I can help with.” Luna told him. Ethan’s eyes narrowed.

“You want to go poking around inside my head?” He asked her suspiciously.

“Yes, I’d like to see what’s been troubling you, and as good as Tia is she occasionally overlooks things.” Luna said, and Ethan caught the faintest hint of sorrow in her eyes.

“Like when you went insane.” Ethan said.

“Yes… like that.” Luna said with a shake of her head.

“Alright, I’ll let you in my head, although I can’t promise that you’ll enjoy the trip.” He told her. “I haven’t exactly had time to dust.” Ethan added with the ghost of a smile gracing his lips. Luna chuckled.

“Okay then, if you’re ready lay down on your bed and I’ll begin the spell.” Luna told him. Ethan did as she asked, and Luna’s horn began to glow with power, then it was released and both of their worlds vanished.

***

Luna’s eyes opened and she found herself standing in a room whose walls were made of a gray metal that seemed to absorb all the happiness or good cheer. Standing before her was a much younger and far less scarred Ethan. He looked to be about nineteen if Luna’s estimation was right, and he was currently wearing a suit of very fragile looking armour. Hanging from his right hip was a small caliber pistol, and hanging from his left was a police baton. Ethan was currently desperately picking the lock to a room, Luna heard the sound of a woman screaming coming from within.

“Dad, stop it! I don’t know anything!” A terrified female voice shouted

“You will tell me what you know, I’m the Overseer!” A loud male voice shouted back, followed by the sound of a police baton smashing into flesh.

The woman’s voice broke down into incoherent cries of grief and pain that made Luna’s blood boil. The younger Ethan was obviously experiencing the same feelings because instead of taking the time to properly position his bobby pin and instead just forced the lock with the help of his screwdriver. The door slid open to reveal a horrific scene.

A young woman was tied to a swivel chair with several lengths of thick rope. Her right eye was swollen shut and her lip was cracked and bleeding heavily. Tears rolled down her face, blurring with her blood as she wept uncontrollably. There were two men in the room with her; one looked like her with dark skin and greying hair while the other had his face obscured by a mask. They both turned to the face the door in surprise, but Ethan acted before either of them could react. The pistol that he’d somehow managed to draw in the time that it took the door to open and fired twelve times into the faceless guard’s face and chest, causing both to practically explode as the 10mm rounds tore into them. Then with an almost feral growl Ethan charged forward at a sprint. He tackled the older man, who fell backwards under Ethan’s weight.

Ethan’s fists began to pound into the man’s face while they both shouted, the man in agony and Ethan in vicious anger. The struggle continued on for several minutes as Ethan and the man fought for supremacy. The man finally managed to dislodge Ethan with a knee to the ribs, causing Ethan to roll off of him backwards. The man reached for the gun at his hip with the clear intention of killing Ethan, but just as the man squeezed the trigger Ethan rolled to the side, causing the bullet to shear into the floor.

Luna watched in detached horror as the scene played out before her. She knew that Ethan must survive this encounter, but he looked far too young to be forced into a battle to the death like the one that was playing out before her eyes. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed that the woman tied to the chair was watching the battle with a look of horror stretching across her face.

Ethan drew his police baton and charged at the old man with a look much like that of a cornered animal on his face. The pistol went off twice and Ethan’s left arm let out two bursts of blood as it fell loosely to his side as Ethan let out a shout of pain. Luckily, Ethan was carrying the baton in his right hand and as he fought through the pain his baton collided with the other man’s wrist with a bone shattering crack. The pistol fell to the ground as the man howled in pain and Ethan followed it up by slamming his baton against the other man’s forehead. There was a meaty sound and the other man stiffened before he fell to the ground but Ethan didn’t stop. He continued to brutalize the now still corpse until he realized that the man was dead.

Then sound returned and Luna suddenly realized that it had been gone for the duration of the fight, aside from the sounds of the weapons as they’d fired and hit. Ethan staggered back to his feet and stumbled over to the woman tied to the chair, who was regarding him with something akin to abject terror. Ethan’s hands quickly undid the bindings, and he tried to pull her into a hug. The woman however, had different ideas and she squirmed out of his grasp.

“Ethan you, you just killed my…” She stuttered, backing away from Ethan uncertainly.

“I, I had to rescue you Amata, they were torturing you!” Ethan told her desperately.

“That didn’t mean that you had to kill him!” She shouted back as a fresh wave of tears rolled down her face.

“But Amata, he was going to kill you!” Ethan shouted as he stepped forward.

“He was just trying to find you; this is all you and your father’s fault!” She shouted while she pushed him away in disgust. Then she did something that truly made both Ethan and Luna flinch, she took a small golden band off of her ring finger and threw it at him. The engagement band bounced off of Ethan’s forehead with a hollow sound as Amata fled from the room. Ethan sank to his knees and began to weep softly as the body of the Overseer cooled beside him. After several minutes, Ethan staggered back to his feet and headed towards another office.

***

The scene faded and Luna found herself looking at a slightly more mature version of Ethan. The man was dressed in a suit of combat armor that had a clover in the background and two crossed sabers in the foreground. He was carrying an odd gun that looked like the plasma rifle that Twilight had brought back from the Wasteland, but there were some slight modifications easily visible. His rifle was currently pointed at the head of an unpleasant looking man wearing a baseball cap.

“Listen here you little shit, we don’t need the wasteland so you can just go fuck yourself and get the hell out of my goddamned Vault!” The man shouted.

“Mack, you have to stop this. If you don’t you’ll destroy the Vault and everyone in it!” Ethan shouted back.

“You think you’re hot shit now that you’ve got all those toys dontca?” Mack asked with a sneer. “Well, let me tell you something you little bastard, you’re still as big of a nothing as you were when you left this Vault and you always will be!”

“Please Mack; I don’t want to have to kill you.” Ethan begged softly.

“Ha, you kill me?” Mack asked with an even wider sneer. “Kid, the day I get killed by a little shit smear like you is the day that sunshine and rainbows save the fucking day.” With that the man reached for an assault rifle slung across his shoulder. Ethan acted quickly and fired a single shot from his plasma rifle. It splashed into the man’s chest, and in an instant the man was no longer a human being, instead he was reduced to a boiling puddle of goo. Ethan stared at the puddle for a few seconds before saying.

“Dammit, dammit, dammit! Why did that have to happen now?” He asked no one in particular.

“Oh my god, you killed him!” The voice was familiar to Luna and she turned to see Amata standing in the doorway. “I told you not to kill him!” She shouted.

“Amata I-” Ethan began but the woman cut him off.

“I don’t care Ethan, get out of my Vault!” The woman shouted. Ethan looked at her and then stormed past her and out of the office as tears began to flow down his face.

***

Luna was snapped back to reality by Ethan’s hot tears rolling over her coat. She looked around blearily and found that she had somehow migrated during the spell so that she was lying beside Ethan on the bed and that he’d wrapped his arms around her neck and pulled her close. Luna leaned back into the embrace as she felt her own tears beginning to fall. The memories had also imparted Ethan’s feelings and knowledge of the events displayed into her mind as she’d watched and she knew the full extent of the man’s pain and his overwhelming sense of betrayal. Luna wrapped her wings around the man, surrounding him in her comforting dark feathers, shielding him from the light of the room.

“I’m so sorry Ethan.” Luna murmured softly.

“Dammit, I got over this years ago. I don’t know why it’s coming up now.” Ethan groaned as he buried his head in her neck.

“Perhaps it was your exposure to the dragon’s fire?” Luna suggested.

“That’s a part of it, that’s definitely a part. But I feel as if something is… making me remember and focus on these things.” Ethan said with a shake of his head. “Something is messing with my brain Luna.” He added softly.

“I detect no dark presence around you Ethan, well besides your own dark impulses but those are well subdued.” Luna told him reassuringly.

“Then why the hell is this happening now?” He demanded as he withdrew his head from her embrace and was once more exposed to the sunlight of the room.

“It might just be that you’re getting old Ethan. The older you get the harder it is to repress trauma like what happened to you, especially if you never really got over it to begin with.” Luna told him but Ethan snorted.

“I’m a little over thirty Luna, that’s hardly old. Even where I come from people usually live till their sixties.” He told her, but Luna just narrowed her eyes.

“I don’t know then Ethan, I may be several thousand years old but I’m not all knowing. That’s Tia’s shtick.” Luna said with a sigh.

“Thanks for trying Luna.” Ethan told the alicorn who nodded. Then he did something unexpected. He leaned in and pulled her into a tight hug. “And thanks for understanding.”

“Ethan, you’re not the only one who has made mistakes.” Luna said softly.

“Yes but until now I was the only one who really understood my mistakes.” Ethan told her with a sigh. “I guess I should probably go find Sparky, she’ll probably want me to do something.” He added.

“I believe that she was going to see Rarity about getting you a suit to wear for the Gala.” Luna replied.

“Thanks Luna, I’ll see you around.” Ethan replied before he headed towards the door.

Luna waited until he was gone to let out a nervous breath that she’d been holding in; she had recognized a dark signature wafting around him. It wasn't inside him, thank Faust, but it was still there if you looked. It was a magical signature as familiar to her as her own. It was the signature of the same parasite that had inhabited her body and forced her to commit untold atrocities. The Nightmare was back, and it was affecting Ethan.