• Published 22nd Oct 2012
  • 17,384 Views, 715 Comments

The Nightmare Before Nightmare Night - Silent Bob



A slight parody of a Nightmare Before Christmas

  • ...
23
 715
 17,384

No Rest for the Wicked

While my student may have yearned for the other side's taste,
She couldn't abandon her kin for her own petty sake,
Still, while she couldn't have what she longed for in full,
Perhaps her own kind she could begin to school.

Sitting at her reading desk, pages flew in a fury as Twilight made her way through Slumber Parties for Newbs.

How fruitful her studies became the rest of that day,
So much she learned about the mortal land's ways.
And the more she gained the more it got into her head,
It wouldn't be unlike a good lich to bring love to the dead.

"Hey Twilight!" Pinkie Slice said, bouncing merrily through the Lich Queen’s tree house's front door before joining a gathering of her five closest friends. "Ouch, guess I'm a little late. Sorry! Big Macinslash let me try out a new dream on him! It was simply... delicious. Hehehe..."

"You'll have to tell us all about it, dear," Scarity smiled, her eyes yearning for a good tale.

"But first... uh... why are we here anyway?" Applemoon said, glancing at the Lich Queen curiously.

She simply gave a smile. "Well girls, if you don't know already know, me and Spike here recently paid a visit to the other side," she said, gesturing to the bone dragon who was now the size of a small dog.

"The other side?!" Pinkie beamed. "Oooo, what were you doing there?! Figuring out their greatest fears? Because you know... that can be pretty handy for certain ghouls...." She then gave a wicked grin. "I can't wait to try a few things out on those teens on Elm Street this year... hehehe..."

"Umm... actually," Flutterfright peeped, simpering. "That's not what you were really there for, was it, Twilight?"

Spike gave a nod. "Yep, you’re on the money," he groaned. "And why she has her heart set on doing this is anyghoul's guess."

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. "What's he talking about, Twilight?" she said, fluttering above the floor with just one long, smoky black wing, her arms folded. "We're you there looking for other ways to have fun or something?"

Twilight nodded with a bright smile. "Yes! And I think I may have found out how they make their magic!"

Pinkie cocked her head. "With the souls of virgin sacrifices?"

"No..." Twilight sighed.

"Harnessing the power of the moon?" Applemoon suggested.

The Lich Queen rolled her eyes. "Nope, but... warmer... I think."

"How about from the netherworld?" Death suggested.

"Gah! Come on you guys!"

"Oh just tell them already, Twilight," Spike groaned. "We might as well get this over with."

At that, the Lich Queen gave them a nod before pulling out the board games from her sack. "They have fun... with these!"

The group entire group raised their eyebrows.

"What are they?" Scarity asked, scratching her ghostly head and gesturing towards Ponopoly.

"They're called..." Twilight said, thinking for a second. "Board games!"

"Board games?" Pinkie Slice said, a wicked grin coming upon her a second later. "You mean like... cutting boards?" Her eyes then widened with delight as she bounced with jubilance. "Oooo, are we going to cut something up?!"

"No!" Twilight said in an exasperated tone. "The purpose of board games is to provide an activity to bring your friends together in a calm, yet competitive manner!"

Spike gave a chuckle. "Yep, she analyzed the crap out of all this stuff."

She gave Spike a blank look before continuing with, "board games and other activities are frequently featured in an other worldly activity called..." She paused, grinning widely while she pulled out Slumber Parties for Newbs. "Slumber parties!"

The group scratched their heads, undead crickets chirping outside.

"Were you expecting a cheer or something?” Spike mused, smirking.

"Quiet, Spike!" she grunted, shooting him a glare. "So, what do you five think? Want to try this out with me?"

"Heh... slumber parties, hmmm?" Pinkie grinned, her dream demon eyes twinkling. "Well, I have been meaning to show you guys around... my world.”

She then gave a brief cackle.

Twilight shot her an annoyed look in return. "We're not going to be sleeping the whole time, Pinkie." At that, she turned towards the rest of her friends with a warm smile. "Look, you guys are my best friends in the whole Nightmare Realm, and I think a change of pace might be somewhat exhilarating. Aren't you guys bored of just scaring each other all the time for fun?"

"Mmmmm..." Applemoon said, squinting an eyebrow in thought.

"Well..." Rainbow Death said.

"Maybe a teensy bit..." Flutterfright said.

At that, Scarity gave a sigh. "Come, dears. Obviously this means a lot to Twilight. We should do it for her if anything."

"Yeah... she's right," Applemoon said, nodding. "I guess we can try out the other world's style of fun. What's the hurt in that?"

Rainbow Death gave a slight smile, scratching her chin with her scythe. "I do like competitions, though they usually involve zombie slaying." She then gave Twilight a sheepish smile. "Er, no offense, Twi. I mean the more mindless variety."

Twilight shook her head. "None taken, Rainbow!" At that, her eyes began to fill with glee as a massive smile came upon her face. "Alright, let's get started! I bet you're all going to love this!"

At that, she opened the Ponopoly box and began to sort its cash and cards, the group of ghouls gathering around it curiously as Spike let loose another disgruntled groan.

☼☼☼
☼☼
☼☼☼

"What?!" Rainbow growled. "I landed on 'Go to the Dungeon' again?! These stupid dyes are rigged!"

"Whelp, my turn then!" Applemoon smiled before rolling the dyes and moving her small horse-drawn carriage across the board. "Hmmm... chance huh?" At that, she picked up a small orange card, peering at it curiously. "Nightmare Moon descends from the sky and burns down one of your factories?! Pay up one hundred bits for repair costs?!" She then gave a slight growl. "Now ain't that just disrespectful! Our princess ain’t like that: she’s too dignified for random destruction!"

"That's my job," Spike grinned, playing with the small dragon figure he held in his claw.

At that, Twilight gave her a slight smile. "Don't take any offense, Applemoon. Nightmare Moon is just very misunderstood on the other side." She then turned to the sheepish yellow mare beside her. "Your turn, Flutterfright!"

"Oh, alright," she squeaked, rolling the dyes again. "I don't think I'm very good at this game, though..."

Applemoon shook her head with a slight chuckle. "It ain't you, sugar. This game relies a lot on chance."

"And I'm the one having the worst luck here," Death pouted, glancing at the 'Go to the Dungeon' space with spite. "Ugh, this game is so boring! Can we try another one out?"

Twilight gave her a blank look. "Come on, Rainbow. We've each barely gone four turns."

"And that just shows you how boring it is," she grunted, Spike giving a chuckle.

"It is kind of... sobering," Applemoon said. "Wouldn't wanna play this drunk, that's for sure."

Flutterfright lifted a hoof. "Ummm..." she peeped as she landed on another player's property. "I wouldn't mind switching either... if it's alright with the rest of you."

"No problem here," Spike grunted.

“Though I do enjoy the marvelous detail that went into making these little figures,” Scarity said, squinting at a small metal dog with amusement. “I believe I could do without more of this.”

The Lich Queen sighed. "Alright, alright. Let's try another activity..." She then began scanning over her book, skipping over the 'scary story' section of it. "Ah! Movies!" she beamed.

"Uh, Twilight..." Spike said, lifting a claw. "All you have are horror movies."

"Horror movies?!" Deathie grinned. "Count me in!"

"Me too!" Pinkie beamed.

“That’d be nice…” Flutterfright said softly.

Twilight brought a hoof to her chin. "Well, alright... how about we watch 28 Days Later and then Dawn of the Dead-"

"Yeeeeees!" the group squealed.

"-But why don't we try to change it up and root for the non-zombie ponies?" the Lich Queen suggested.

"Awwwww..."

"Are you serious, Twilight?" Pinkie groaned. "The poor zombies just want to eat!"

Spike gave a chuckle, shaking his head."A lich rooting for the survivors… what’s this world coming to?”

"Hey, the art of zombie slaying should be respected," Rainbow blurted out. "Those things are just unnatural! Nothing should defy death like that!" she spat, before simpering towards Twilight once again. "Er yeah... no offense...”

She narrowed her eyes, a hint of annoyance coming upon her this time. "None taken, Rainbow..."

"Well, come on then," Spike grinned, making his way down to the cellar. "I'll go fire up the projector."

☼☼☼
☼☼
☼☼☼

"What the hell are they?" a mare asked on screen, glancing down at a zombie infested mall’s commons.

"They're us, that's all. There's no more room in hell," a badass stallion proclaimed.

Another stallion narrowed his eyebrows, him with gold coins for a cutie-mark. "What?"

"Somethin' my grandaddy used to tell us... you know macumba? Voodoo? Grandaddy was a priest in the southern lands. Used to tell us... when there's no more room in hell... the dead will walk Equestria."

Rainbow Death gave a fan-girlish squeal. "That is such a cool line!" she whispered towards Twilight, a grin on her face. "Come on, kill the stupid things already!"

The lavender lich quickly nodded in agreement.

With that, Pinke gave a smirk towards the screen before turning towards Rainbow Death and singing:

"Na-Na-Na,

Gonna eat their brains!

Hey hey hey!"

"Pinkie!" Twilight and Deathie growled. "We're supposed to be rooting for the living!"

Flutterfright raised a hoof. "But... don't the zombies have a right to live too?"

"I agree," Applemoon nodded. "Have some sympathy for the devil. If he does truly does exist, I bet he has his hands full."

"They're not alive though!" Deathie grunted. "They're just... half-way there." She then grinned back towards the screen before lifting her scythe. "Come on you guys, go living!"

"Go dead!" the rest of the group cried.

Rainbow narrowed her eyebrows in defiance, Twilight joining with her as she cheered, "go living!"

"Go dea-"

"Will you guys just shut up and watch the movie?" Spike groaned, fluttering above the couch Rainbow and Twilight were sitting on. "This whole thing is just a big political message about how materialism turns ponies into mindless slaves, anyway." He then turned towards Twilight. "It screws the Equestrians just like it's screwing Nightmare Night, something we're still going to fix, right?" he asked, raising a suspicious eyebrow.

"Of course," she said with a hint of a sigh.

The group then continued watching the movie; things becoming more and more distraught for the surviving ponies. Eventually, two survivors were all that were left, them escaping the mall in a strange peddle-driven flying machine.

"Dawww... seriously?!" Pinkie grunted.

"Please tell me there's an alternate ending, Twilight," Scarity said, glancing over at her.

The Lich Queen gave a sigh. "This movie was made back before there were alternate endings."

Applemoon folded her arms at that. "Well, this must have been Equestrian made, then. No way the zombies would lose in one of ours."

Twilight gave a slight, disappointed nod. "Yeah, you're right, Lyra Heartstab brought it back from the other side a year ago. She said she wanted me to examine it."

"Hmmm," Pinkie pondered. "Well, I'd give it at least an eight of ten. I liked the part where the guy got his guts eaten in the elevator."

"Oh yes, that was completely horrible!" Scarity grinned.

"The poor zombies did look awfully hungry," Flutterfright added in.

"And the natural order of things was completely screwed once again..." Death grunted, folding her arms. "Thanks Horse Romero..."

"Mph," Twilight grunted, pulling out her stolen slumber party. "Alright, let's see what's next..."

☼☼☼
☼☼
☼☼☼

"Why are we doing this again?" Deathie groaned, Twilight smearing black guck on her face with a cheeky smirk.

"Cus it's what the book says to do! Facial masks are supposed to..." She paused, glancing down at her book. "Hmmm... where is it…? Oh, there we go! They're supposed to bring out our natural beauty!"

Death gave her a blank look. "Twilight, I'm Death. I have never nor will I ever look pretty." She then gave a chuckle. "It's fate's greatest tease, really. Most that die are greeted by this ghoulish figure, expecting the worst, only to be escorted to paradise. I kind of like it that way."

Twilight gave another sigh as she glanced over towards Scarity. Using levitating magic, the ghostly ghoul was applying the same stuff to Pinkie.

"How are you feeling, darling?"

"Like I've got my face covered in bloody, black guck," she said. "Not that I mind, I guess."

"Mph," Scarity said. "I wish I could join you, but I'm afraid this facial cream you've concocted won't stick, Twilight."

"Yeah..." she grunted as Flutterfright began to mold it onto her face as well. "I figured..."

"Twi..." Death said, wiping the cream off her face with a cloth. "I know this means a lot to you, but would it be possible for us to spend a little time having... our sort of fun?"

"Oh come on, Rainbow!" Twilight groaned. "We still have a lot of bases to cover..."

"Bases that just aren't meant for us," Spike pointed out. "Listen, me and Rainbow only have like a week of time to spend with you, and we've tried this experiment out... but I just don't think it's working."

"B-But..." Twilight whimpered.

"Pleeeease, Twilight," Rainbow said, making the best puppy-dog face Death could.

Twilight gazed downwards in disappointment at that. "Can't you just take another week off, Rainbow? We could do halfsies!"

"You know I can't do that..." she sighed.

"But why not?!" Pinkie Slice bounced. "I'm sure whoever you've got covering for you wouldn't mind!"

"It's not that simple," she grunted.

"Then what is it?" Twilight puzzled.

At that, Death took a deep breath. "Alright, you guys wanna know why I can't spare too much time?"

The group nodded eagerly.

Death then grinned, whipping out her serpent shaped locket. "It's because of my friends here."

"Your lockets?" Twilight puzzled.

"Oh, you know what I'm talking about, Twilight," she winked. "You see, wanna know what used to really piss me off? The fact that I used to have to escort good, though terribly wronged people to the gates, only to have to stand by the psychopaths who killed them later, that whole 'equality in death' crap still in full swing." She then smiled wickedly, her eyes narrowing. "That was until I decided to break the status quo, add a little... order to chaos.” She gave a brief cackle. “Evil will pass on alright, but not where it wants to go...”

"What do you mean, darling?" Scarity asked, hovering above the ground and peering down at her in curiosity.

In response, Death pulled out another locket and twirled it, this one shaped like a bleeding heart. "This one's for child killers, for instance."

The group's eyes widened.

Deathie actually gave a somewhat warm smile at that. "Though laws may change in time, justice will always be justice, and more importantly though, justice serves some really good snacks.” She then licked her lips as her smile turned wicked. "So, you guys getting the picture yet? Why I love my job so much? If not, perhaps I can elaborate further... Pinkie, guitar me!"

"Comin' right up, Deathie!" she beamed, whipping out an old fashioned blues guitar from dream-space and tossing it to Rainbow, who began a bluesy elephant cager's rift. Nodding her head and tapping her hoof to the beat, she began with:

Well I was walkin’ down the street,

To grab a bite to eat,

And saw this pretty little thing watchin’ me.

She said I never seen a mare,

Who ever looked so fine and rare,

Could you use a little company?

At first she treated me alright,

She made my evening nice,

Then she pulled out a dagger just for me,

But on that freak night she learned,

That Death can’t die,

And she was mine for eternity.

"Cus now there ain't no rest for the wicked,

The order don't cut it for me,

I've got disease to flay!

I've got business to pay!

There ain't no sin that goes for free.

And no I can't slow down,

I can't hold back,

And you know?

I never would.

For there ain't no rest for the wicked,

Til I shed my last soul for good!"

She twirled her scythe, winking towards the Lich Queen.

"So Twilight don't you see,

How much this job means to me,

I've gotta keep with the times as they come.

Though for every sinner there's ten saints,

That still don't kill the stank,

It's this ghoul's own special form of fun.

You know they might think they're slick,

Doin' dirty deeds in the thick,

They don't know how good these eyes can see.

And while they might escape the livin',

I don't know who they think they're kiddin',

Cus there's no escape from me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cus there ain't no rest for the wicked,

The order don't cut it for me,

I've got disease to flay!

I've got my mouth to feed!

There ain't no sin that goes for free.

And no I can't slow down,

I can't hold back,

And you know?

I never would.

And there will be no rest for the wicked,

Til the clock stops tickin' for good!"

Rainbow Death gave a grin as the song came to a close. "Swag."

"B-But Rainbow," Flutterfright squeaked. "I thought we were wicked... though I could be wrong."

Death gave a slight laugh. "Na, you guys aren't wicked, at least not the kind I'm after. You guys don't kill anyone, at least not that I know of."

"Ooo! Ooo!" Pinkie Slice said, bouncing. "What about Prince Blackblood. Are you still after him?"

Deathie put on another evil smirk at that. "All ponies pass in time, and so do ghouls." She then pulled out yet another locket, this one a black cross, and dangled it in front of the dream demon's eyes. "And when he does, I've got a special locket waiting just for him."

Twilight then took a deep, saddened breath at that. "So... you guys truly just want same ole same ole, don't you?"

The group nodded with eager smiles before linking arms and singing:

"Hangin’ out,

Down the street,

The same ole chills,

We got last week!

Not a thinnnng toooo doooo,

But haunting youuuu,

We’re all alright!

We’re all alright!

Hello Edeathstria!

“Awww man, I love That 70’s Ghoul!” Pinkie grinned.

"Yeah, friggin' Hyde is just horrible!" Deathie chuckled. "Especially when he turns into Jekyl."

Twilight, however, was not so thrilled. With longing in her eyes, she glanced away from them. "I... think I need to take a walk."

At that, she began to walk towards the door, the group voicing their objections as she sauntered away.

"W-Wait, Twilight! We can do a few more things," Dashie said.

"Yeah! We didn't do Uno yet or whatever it's called!” Applemoon cried.

"And I guess I could try making cherry pies instead of blood pies!" Pinkie added.

"No... you guys will just get bored of that stuff too," she sighed, turning towards Spike. "You were right, Spike, this does go against our nature."

"T-Twilight," he said. "I wouldn’t mind giving it another go either…"

However, at that point the Lich Queen was gone, now walking out the door and towards a lonely path into the forest. At this, she levitated the life potion Zecora had given her out of her sack, gazing at it curiously.

"Hmmm...” she pondered. “Would it kill me to miss one Nightmare Night?"

At that thought, she gave a slightly wicked smile, a plan forming in her head.