• Published 1st Jan 2012
  • 18,326 Views, 540 Comments

An Unlikely Couple - Legacy55



Discord and Celestia are getting married! But Luna and Twilight try and put a stop to it...

  • ...
29
 540
 18,326

Redemption

The moon was a horribly desolate place. No creature stirred, no wind blew across the empty plains, and no plant attempted to grow from the lifeless earth under her hooves. It was truly a terrible place.

“I can’t even remember how I killed those thousand years… Did I really just sit here and stare into space?” Luna’s voice echoed across the vast plains.

As she continued to gaze into the vastness of space, all the constellations she had memorized started coming back to her. The infinite amount of stars began forming lines, creating masterpieces of art in the black sky. Her jaw hung open as a new world of beauty opened in front of her.

Actually, this isn’t half bad… It’s quiet, tranquil, and so unlike Canterlot… Still, I am alone…

An hour later and her mind had already wondered from the constellations. She had begun reworking all that had happened in these past eventful days, up until that very moment. Her mind lingered on the elements. Why had they worked? Twilight wasn’t herself, and her friends had all been brainwashed. So why in Celestia’s name had they worked?

The elements were very unpredictable; she still remembered the day she had been lectured about that…

-------------------------

“So? What did you find out?”

“Hmm…” Star Swirl the Bearded stroked his long, goat like beard as he eyed the gems in front of them. “Quite a lot actually! These elements are really quite remarkable!”

Luna gave him a somewhat impatient look. “Go on then!”

“Well… First of all they are extremely powerful! The sheer amount of magical energy stored in them is remarkable! I dare say even the combined powers of you, your sister and Discord wouldn’t even come close!”

She grew wide eyed for a moment. She had no idea they were that powerful. Then again, some ponies had been saying that with his old age Star Swirl had begun to lose his sanity.

The old pony laughed to himself. “There is another very interesting characteristic about the elements! It’s almost as if they have a mind of their own! The bearers are mere tools for the elements to harness, and unleash their true power through!”

Luna didn’t like to be referred to as a ‘tool’. “I highly doubt that a couple of pretty jewels have a mind of their own. It was me and Celestia who turned Discord to stone. The elements never chose that.”

“Oh, quite the contrary! The elements chose Discord’s punishment, not you or your sister. I believe they could revoke that punishment at any time if they see fit.”

She couldn’t help but let out a chuckle. Those ponies were right. This crazy old wizard was saying a couple of stones could think! There was no doubt that he was going senile.

“Ah, you don’t believe me!” He turned his attention to Luna and looked at her with weary eyes. “I’m not going crazy, I assure you!”

She couldn’t take any more of this... “Right, well… This was certainly… interesting, to say the least. But I have a lot to do, so…”

“Hmm, you may not believe me now, but one day Luna… One day you’ll see the elements aren’t just mere gems. You’ll see that everything they do has a purpose in the end!”

-----------------------------

That day was today. The elements did have a mind of their own, and they had freed Discord. Maybe that meant they had seen something in Discord that she hadn’t… Maybe he had changed…

“Oh, what does it matter…? It’s too late now; I’m stuck here for good…”

Maybe Discord isn’t so bad after all… Sure, I still have a dislike towards him, but maybe he isn’t that evil… It really does seem like Celestia cares for him, and who am I to come between them? Were I given another chance, I’d accept them… Fat chance that’s going to happen though…

-----------------------------

Twilight had continued to wander in the forest, trying to find anyplace that she could call home. She suspected that night had fallen so the need for a shelter was great. Not long after searching, she found a cave and quickly took refuge in its dark, damp inside.

“Well… At least it’s better than nothing…” She mumbled quietly to herself, lying against the cold rocky ground beneath her. A breeze rushed into the cave and she shivered as the cold wind touched her skin. “It’s f-f-freezing in here, so I’ll need something to keep warm…” Getting an idea she hurried out of the cave and back into the forest.

Within a few minutes she arrived back at her new home with a pile of sticks floating behind her. Arranging them inside a circle of rocks, she closed her eyes and concentrated. The next second there was a roaring fire in front of her, lighting up the entire cave. “That’s better.” She smiled weakly to herself, curling up beside the heat.

“I wish I could go back and change what I did… If I had just accepted the Princess’s relationship, I wouldn’t be in this mess… I guess Discord wasn’t so bad, and now that I think about it… They were sort of… cute together…”

“In the end all he wanted was some fun… He was bored and alone for an awful long time… No pony deserves that…”

Suddenly there was a brilliant flash, and the cave that surrounded her was gone. It wasn’t cold or dark; instead she was in a well furnished room. Confused and dumfounded, she looked around, and standing behind her was the Princess.

“P-p-princess Celestia?” She stuttered, her mind desperately trying to understand what just happened.

“Confused, Twilight? I’m not surprised.” She smiled, and there was another flash of white as her horn glowed.

Appearing beside her was Princess Luna, who quickly became just as baffled as her. “Celestia? Twilight? What just happened?” She questioned, examining her new surroundings.

“I think I can explain that…” There was a final flash, and a Draconequus appeared beside Celestia.

“Discord?!?!” Both Twilight and Luna exclaimed at the same time as the two of them fell back on their rear hooves.
“The one and only.” He grinned. “Surprised to see me?”

The two of them nodded.

“Oh, quit teasing Discord. Explain everything to them before I do.” Celestia shot him a playful glance.

“Oh, alright Celly… Well… You see, this whole thing was a plan me and Celestia came up with.”

“Yes, I wasn’t surprised when I first heard that you two didn’t approve of the relationship. Of course, it didn’t help that Discord kept teasing you two…” Celestia shot another glance at him.

“What?” He held a paw to his chest and laughed, “I couldn’t help myself!”

She shook her head before continuing. “After hearing from Spike that Twilight had started to go crazy, Discord and I formulated a plan. We’d show you what it’s like to be alone so you would know what Discord went through, then maybe after that you’d accept us.”

“And just like I guessed, you stole the elements, brainwashed your friends and turned me to stone. Of course, that never would have worked in reality, but a little magic can make anything seem real…” Discord butted in.

“So you weren’t turned to stone?” Twilight questioned, her mind wrapping around this new revelation.

“Nope, that was just a fake. If you remember, the old rainbow was much more colorful.”

“After that, all I needed to do was act angry and banish you two, then hopefully you two would learn what it’s like to be really alone.”

“So that voice I heard… It was-”

“Yes, it was me!” Discord waved his paw and laughed. “It really was quite easy you know. I would have thought you would have put up more of a fight… The same goes for you Luna! I was there listening to your thoughts, ready to jump in at any time. But you changed all on your own! Maybe you aren’t as bad a pony as I thought you were…”

Luna looked completely dumbfounded, and after a moment of silence finally spoke up. “So, we’re not banished? This was just some game you were playing with us?!”

“Oh come now sister, don’t be angry. We had to teach you a lesson and this was the only way you’d learn considering how stubborn you two are…”

Twilight blushed profoundly at this and just stared at the floor.

“Well, now that we have that out of the way…” Celestia turned her attention to her embarrassed student. “Twilight, you have some apologizing to do… I broke the spell you put on your friends, and they’re waiting in Ponyville.”

Her friends; how she had missed them. “Thank you Princess. I’ll never doubt you again.” She smiled sincerely.

“I’m glad you understand. I’m also going to take back my previous punishment, Both of you can attend the wedding.”

“Oh, please do come Twilight; it’ll be ever so boring without you…” Discord chuckled, gaining yet another glance from his fiancée.

“I’d love to. Now, I really should be seeing my friends…” Twilight smiled once again before teleporting away, leaving the three in an awkward air.

“Does she have to come too?” Discord finally asked, pointing a claw at Luna.

“Sometimes I wonder why I’m getting married to you…”

--------------------

Twilight appeared in the middle of Ponyville with a flash. She found it normal and chaos free. Noticing her friends over by the fake Discord statue she quickly galloped over, barely able to contain her excitement.

“Hey, lookie guys! It’s Twilight!” Pinkie Pie yelled, pointing a hoof to the approaching unicorn. “Hi Twi-”

The pink pony was cut off as Twilight tackled her to the ground, tears streaming from her face as she hugged her. “Oh, Pinkie Pie… I’m so glad to see you…” The rest of her friends gathered around her and looked at her awkwardly.

“Uh, I’m glad to see you too Twilight!” Pinkie giggled as the unicorn backed off.

“I’m so glad to see all of you…” Twilight smiled. “I’m sorry for what I did… I should have listened to you guys.”

“Um, would you kindly explain what the hay is going on? Last thing Ah remember was being in the barn…” Applejack said, scratching her head.

“With pleasure…”

----------------------

“…And that’s when I got back here… being so alone made me realize how much you guys mean to me… I don’t know what I’d without you. I’m sorry for everything I did. I was being stupid…” Twilight finished, wiping a few tears from her eyes.

“Aw, shucks Twilight, it ain’t your fault. You was just trying to protect us, that’s all!” Applejack patted her on the shoulder.

“Yes dear, at least you had good intentions.” Rarity nodded at her.

“Thanks guys…” She sniffed, almost on the verge of crying again.

“Well, I know what this calls for! GROUP HUG!” Pinkie Pie suddenly yelled, grabbing all of them in a tight hug.
“Yeah, right! You can count me out!” Rainbow Dash pouted, flying out of her grasp. Suddenly, she was surrounded by a purple aura and dragged into their embrace. They all broke out in laughter at this, not coming apart as they continued to hug.

Twilight was happier than she had been in days. Her banishment now seemed like a horrible nightmare that never happened. Almost everything was back to normal now; everything except Discord anyway. She could hardly imagine what life was going to be like with him butting in at every moment… Knowing him, it’s going to get annoying...