• Published 1st Jan 2012
  • 18,322 Views, 540 Comments

An Unlikely Couple - Legacy55



Discord and Celestia are getting married! But Luna and Twilight try and put a stop to it...

  • ...
29
 540
 18,322

Alone

Luna threw open the doors of her sister’s bedroom with a determined expression. “Celestia, we need to talk! I don’t care what your stupid wedding planner says!”

She hurried into the first room, and an angry looking mare suddenly appeared in front of her. “I already told you, the Princess is very busy!”

Luna growled and knocked her out of the way. “This is urgent, now stay out of my way or else!” She roared before heading into her sister’s study. The mare chased after her, and tried her best to keep her from bothering the hard working Princess.

She found her sister there, surrounded by stacks of papers. “Luna? What is it? I’m very busy here!” Celestia said looking up from her work.

“Yes, well. Something’s happened to Discord…” She said rather bluntly.

Celestia’s expression instantly turned into one of anger and annoyance. “What?” She said sharply.

“Well-“

“I told you to leave, now get out of here before I call the-” The mare butted in, trying to drag Luna out.

Celestia cut off the flustered mare, “She’s fine, just leave us for a minute.” She shut her mouth and immediately left with an annoyed look.

“Well, like I was saying… Discord started causing chaos in Ponyville, and me and Twilight had no choice but to stop him! We gathered the elements and her friends, and turned the monster to stone! So don’t worry about it, everything’s under control. Just wanted to let you know. See you lat-” Luna went to dash out of the room but Celestia suddenly appeared in front of her.

“You turned him to stone?! You can’t be serious!”

Luna gave her sister an awkward smile, “Well, we did, but it was because he was evil! He was destroying Ponyville!”

All of Celestia usual princess composure was gone; she was fuming and looked like she was going to explode any second. “Show me…” She managed to mumble through clenched teeth.

------------------------

When Discord had turned to stone, the town had instantly reverted back to its old self. All signs of Discord’s fun chaos had disappeared, just like the last time they imprisoned him.

Twilight was pacing around with not an insane look, but a very worried one. Her sanity was finally returning, but with this came a whole new set of troubles, guilt, doubt, fear… Her crazy self had almost completely vanished, as it had served its one purpose. Stopping Discord.

However, this was now the cause of her current crisis. Celestia was going to do something terrible when she saw what they did to Discord. There would be no easy punishment like last time.

But there was another voice inside her head that suddenly appeared. It reminded her of the other times Celestia had been upset with her; she had always been just and forgiving. Twilight remembered how she always exaggerated these punishments, and in the end they all turned out to be nothing. That’s all this was. Celestia would probably let her off easily.

So Twilight smiled, knowing that things would turn out perfect by the end of this. Things always did.

A bright flash made her jump, and as she turned around she caught sight of the two Princesses. She bowed as her teacher walked over to her.

Celestia’s eyes quickly fell on the stone Discord, whose horrified expression shot shivers down her spine. He really was imprisoned again, and this wasn’t a joke.

“So, Twilight, tell the Princess how Discord was causing all of that horrible chaos, and how we were forced to seal him in stone again!” Luna quickly began.

“I don’t want to hear it!” Celestia roared at her, her voice rising far louder than Twilight had ever heard. “I knew about the chaos Discord was causing! This was just your plan to break us up!”

“N-n-no! No dear sister, I assure you he was evil! This was the only thing we could do, lest he wreck havoc on all of Equestria!”

“Don’t lie to me!” She yelled, causing Luna to step back in fright. Never before had she seen her sister this angry. A bad feeling in the pit of her stomach told her this was going to end badly.

“Because of you stubbornness and your stupidity, Discord’s back in stone, alone! I told you two to stay out of our relationship, and what do you do? Defy me, twice! There is absolutely no reasoning with you two! You were too stubborn to see that we loved each other and that he really had changed!”

“S-s-sister! You should calm down a bit and think about this rationally!”

“Rationally?! You imprisoned my fiancée in stone just because you didn’t approve of my relationship!”

“Well, when you put it that way…” Luna said with a weak smile, hoping to elicit some compassion from her sister.

“I see now that going easy on you two won’t work… Know that your punishments are your own fault.

“P-punishments? What are you going to do, lock me outside the castle?” Luna said with a weak laugh.

“No, you’re going back to the moon.”

Luna looked at her sister with a horrified expression, “You can’t be-” She was rudely cut off as Celestia’s horn glowed and Luna disappeared with a flash.

“…And my student, Twilight… Or should I say ex-student…” Celestia turned her attention to the quivering unicorn. “I was expecting better of you... You served me faithfully for years, but I ordered you to stay out of our relationship. I have no choice but to banish you to the Everfree Forest… Goodbye Twilight.”

Twilight watched as her whole world crumbled around her. The belief that things would turn out fine had died as soon as she had seen the rage in her teacher’s eyes. There was no good ending for her. She watched as her ex-teacher closed her eyes and cast the spell that sent her away from Ponyville. Away from her life. Away from her friends…

--------------------

Twilight was lying alone in the rugged dirt. She could barely see anything around her, as this was the deepest part of the forest. It didn’t help that it was almost night.

I can’t believe this is happening… She thought quietly to herself, as she rolled upwards to stare into the thick covering of tree’s that looked miles away. I should never have gone along with Luna… I should have just let things happen. Just like all my friends suggested…

Friends.

She had no friends now; there was no pony but her in this deep, dark, scary forest. There was no Fluttershy to brighten her day. There was no Rarity to compliment her dress, or a Pinkie Pie to bake her a cake. No Rainbow Dash to brag, or Applejack to support her. No Spike to help her.

She was alone.

Twilight’s lip quivered at the thought, and soon she was bawling her eyes out in the middle of the forest. She would remain here to the day she died, all because she had acted so stupidly. She wanted her friends back; she wanted to be the Princess’s student again. But that would never happen; no, instead she would die alone in this forest…

-----------------------------

“I can’t believe this!” Luna shouted, her voice echoing across the vast, barren wasteland. “Celestia’s banished me again!”
She gazed out into open space, her mind fully comprehending what this meant. She was imprisoned on the moon yet again. She could still remember all those years she had spent here. All those painful, painful years. She couldn’t do this again. No way. She had to get back somehow.

“Come on…” She muttered in frustration as another of her teleportation spells failed. She tried again several times, before finally collapsing on the rocky surface. She was breathing very heavily, as long distance teleportation spells usually used a lot of energy.

“I can’t believe this… Another thousand years on this terrible place… Well, how can I say it’s terrible? This is my moon after all…” Her moon, to remain on alone for a thousand years…

-----------------------------

The unicorn wept for some time, her sobs echoing through the large empty clearing. Her tears pleaded to no one however, as there was no pony to hear them. She gazed into the nearly pitch black forest through tear-filled eyes. “Is this what it’s like to be completely alone?” She asked to herself, her voice weak and raspy from all the crying.

“Why, yes it is, Twilight. This was exactly how I felt.”

Twilight jumped up with incredible speed and looked into he dark forest, “W-who said that?”

“Just me, your conscience."

Confusion spread across the unicorns face as she looked around the area. There was no sign of this familiar voice. “B-but you sound like Discord?!”

“Well, the conscience tends to manifest itself in familiar things. Really, with your knowledge I would have expected you to know that!”

Twilight pictured Discord laughing as he hovered mid air, maybe partaking in a certain dairy drink. “What do you mean by exactly how you felt?”

“Well, how Discord felt I mean. He was alone for a thousand years, unable to talk to anypony.”

“But Discord was evil, he deserved that!” She felt pretty ridiculous arguing with an invisible voice that only she could hear.

“Do you think any creature really deserves this, no matter how evil?”

Twilight took a minute to gaze at the forest around her, and the loneliness that seemed to invade every feeling in her body.
“No, not really…”

“And would you call Discord evil? He wasn’t always ‘evil’ you know. He was turned that way, forced to by the cruel and uncaring world around him. Is a person really evil for being forced to become so?”

The words of this mysterious voice sunk into her head, its strange philosophies challenging everything she had learned in her life. “I… I guess not…”

“Well, this terrible world is what you forced upon Discord, for a third time. He’s alone now, just as he had been for a thousand years. Can you imagine the pain he must be experiencing? He had the taste of a wonderful world, a world where he wasn’t evil. But then you took that away from him far too soon. If anypony’s evil here, it’s you and Luna.”

The voice was right. It was entirely and completely right. “This was how Discord felt, for a thousand years…” For the first time ever she began to feel some sort of pity for the Draconequus. He had changed, she now began to realize. “He’s lived an awful, painful life… Being alone for so long… Being branded evil because no pony understands him… Then, when he finally gets some ounce of deserved happiness, I take it all away from him… I am evil…”

“Yes… Now you finally understand… Well, my job is done here, goodbye!”

“Wait, don’t go!” Twilight shouted into the forest. There was no response. She was alone again.