• Published 20th Oct 2012
  • 9,630 Views, 433 Comments

Touching Rainbows - dontexistanymoresorry



The story of a mare out of place, and a boy trapped in his own

  • ...
51
 433
 9,630

Being Human

“It’s nearly dark, autumn doesn’t favor day much as dusk.” I say. Great, I’m getting poetic.

“Whatever right, darkness is sorta cool don’t cha' think?”

“Well, uh, yea but like, it gets damn freezing here, besides, I have an idea.” I say, starting to head back to the house.

“Wait- So what’s your little ‘plan’” She asks playfully, catching up with me.

“We’re going to watch the News, there’s no way you guys aren’t breaking news, stealing headlines left and right. And if we’re gonna learn about getting you integrated into society, where better to start than to look at who’s tried already!” I reply.

We’re on the steps now, and passing through the door, left open from not too long ago.

“So… how do you… watch… news…” She says shyly, as if this is something she should know.

“Oh- uh, well… We have these things called TV’s, and they uh, well, they’re like moving photographs that have ‘channels’ were we can select a station to view that displays a different program. If that makes any coherent sense whatsoever.” I say, unsure of how to explain a TV. I mean, I’ve never been asked to describe one before in layman’s terms.

We enter the living room, and I turn on the TV, and surf channels for a few seconds before stumbling on a headline on CNBC reading, ‘BREAKING NEWS: Live interview with new anthropomorphic visitor!’ I keep the channel on, put the remote down, and take a look over to Rainbow. She’s starring at the TV like it’s some absolutely freakish invention, then quickly accepts it’s bizarreness and turns attention towards the headline, her eyes widen.

I turn up the volume, and the anchor begins her introduction. She’s a blonde, pretty, wearing a black dress, and has her hair in a ponytail, going down past her shoulder a few inches.

“Hello citizens of America, Katie Frowling here on CNBC giving you one of the first few live interviews with out new visitors! Here talking to us all the way from Seattle is Alan Proctor, bringing us up to speed with what we know, and his thoughts on this interview.” The anchor says, in projecting, overly friendly tone. A second panel opens, and a video feed form Seattle establishes connection.

“Hello Katie, well to start things off today, we have got a population count for these anthropomorphic beings in the states of New York, New Jersey, Maine, Connecticut, Washington, and California. Other reports are on their way, or are currently under progress. Here in Washington, we have a population of 5,600 visitors, and more seem to arrive every hour. The Census Bureau is under a lot of pressure to try figure out just HOW many of these visitors there are. And in other news, Humanitarian Organizations have stepped in, and prohibited the unauthorized testing of these visitors without consent from the visitor confirming that it is alright to performing experiments. As method of combating the testing of these new kind, social networks such as Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr, and even Google Plus have exploded with “Pro-Anthro” messages demanding the equal treatment of these newcomers.” Hank concluded his report, and I look to Rainbow, her jaw open ever so slightly.

He speaks up again, “So here to put plenty of questions to rest, we have with us one of these ‘anthros’ for an interview.” A calm looking character enters the panel. She’s a dark heavy purple, with a pink, bunchy mane, and green eyes. She’s wearing a flannel shirt the same color scheme as her coat with a black tee underneath, and blue jeans. Hank opens his mouth to speak, “Here she is, now to the interview, she’s all yours Katie.” He exits the panel to the right, disappearing, and Katie begins to talk.

“So, you’re one of our visitors, so tell me, what’s your name?”

“My name is Cheerlie.” Says Cheerlie, in an almost dead tone.

“OH MY GOSH CHEERLIE!!!” Rainbow yells as she suddenly starts to make the connection between her old appearance and her new one.

“So tell us, do you know how or why you’re here, Cheerlie?” Katie asks.

“Both, actually. Uh, well… when I arrived here around three days ago, I was greeted by Discord, a very powerful man who explained why I’m here. My home, Equestria is in another dimension, and we are under attack, one we may not survive. So to protect our species our ruler, Princess Celestia began to move civilians out of Equestria to here. I can only assume this isn’t just an attack on Equestria, but rather a global threat. But currently all I know is that we are under attack by a horrid breed of monsters, and a nation we thought we had good relations with. So that’s why, and how is rather interesting as well. Discord used a spell to transport us to a realm where there was no echo of my realm. However, when being transported, typically you would adjust to your energy equivalent in the realm you travelled to, but here, seeing how we only hitched a ride, we only got half the transformation.” Cheerlie answers.

“Wow, that’s very interesting. Now, I’m sorry but we have other programs coming on shortly, so let me ask you, could you tell our world, something you think they should know, before making any further accusations.”

“I would like to tell them that we simply want to be equals I think. I just hope that we can coexist in harmony, and thrive off one another.” Cheerlie says, her tone, now displaying some emotion.

“Well said, thank you for your time, Cheerlie, best of luck to you and your kind in this new world, America welcomes you with open arms-”

I turn the TV off.

“’Your kind’? Yea right, welcome us with open arms and already make the separation.” Rainbow says disapprovingly.

“Yea, that was uncalled for, I mean… Well it’s justified to a degree, but still uncalled for.” I say.

“Justified? That was pretty much her saying ‘we’re different, and good luck in our country, alien.’ How is that justified!?” Rainbow retorts. I'm taken off guard.

“Well… to be frank… we are very different. Not to mention we’re actually from different worlds. Heh, I mean, harder to be more different, right? Look, not different in the superior ‘good luck’ kinda way, in the actual physique and origin way.” I say, speaking quickly to not offend. Rainbows glare ceases, and she looks back at the TV. This is probably hard for her, the only other pony she’s seen in this new world is across the country. We’re in New York, a few miles from the city, and this character is all the way in Seattle, Washington.

Rainbow opens her mouth, and there’s a second where only air sits there, and she closes it again. Clenching her fists, she opens her mouth again.

“Sorry, this just really sucks ya know. But like, so I need to know how to be a part of your world right, so why don’t we do that tomorrow.” She says confidently.

“Wha- wait, assimilate in a day flat?”

“Yea, problem?” she says, with legitimate concern, obviously oblivious to the fact that this would be rather difficult.

“Nothing… I mean… Its Sunday tomorrow… So yea actually why not, sky’s the limit… well, not for you, but you get the idea.” I say. Damn, I’m gonna have to toss out a BUNCH of phrases cuz’ of this. I continue, “And then I can ask Mum to maybe get you signed up at my school while we try, uh… Being human.”

“Awesome, can't wait! Hey, what’s for dinner, I’m starvin’.” Rainbow says, now excited from the possibility that just maybe, this won’t be that bad. Being human, I mean.