• ...
12
 222
 9,447

Chapter 7: Dinner With the Apple Family

Twilight and Big Macintosh finished the field as the sun started to set and night began to peek out.

“I didn’t think it would take that long,” said Twilight.

“You’d be surprised how long somethin’ as simple as weedin’ can take,” said Big Mac. “But yah did very well fer somepony who’d never done this sorta thing before.”

“Thank you very much, Big Macintosh,” said Twilight. “It helps to have a good teacher as well.”

“Ah’m just doing what ah know,” said Big Mac. “You sure took tah this quicker than ah expected. Ah’d say yer a plum natural at it.”

“That’s really sweet of you, Mac,” said Twilight. “I guess we better go inside for some dinner, eh?”

“Ah reckon that’s a mighty fine idea, Twilight,” said Big Macintosh, with a proud smile on his face.

And he really was proud. Not just because he fancied Twilight, but because it felt nice to be teaching somepony how to work the farm who was old enough. It would still be another year or so he figured till Apple Bloom would be age appropriate. As they walked back to the house, Big Macintosh couldn’t help noticing Twilight was looking achy.

“Ah imagine yer quite sore from today,” commented Big Mac.

“Oh, just a little bit,” said Twilight. “No big deal.”

“Granny can show you tha perfect remedy for joint pain,” said Big Mac. “After dinner that is.”

“Okay then,” said Twilight.

Granny Smith and Applejack both prepared dinner. They made a simple, but yummy, potato soup, and some apple pie for desert.

“Certainly was a productive day, I reckon.” said Granny Smith.

“Eeyup,” said Big Mac. “Twilight here is a natural at farm work.”

“No surprise there,” said Granny Smith. “Little filly got the right build fer farm work.”

“That’s very kind of you, Granny Smith,” said Twilight.

“Reckon she got the right hips fer child bearin’ as well,” Granny smith said off handedly.

Like the other night, Big Macintosh came close to choking on his soup. Twilight came close to it as well.

“What’s that sposed to mean?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Nuthin’ you need to be worryin’ bout, sugar cube,” intervened Applejack.

“Boy, Granny Smith sure is a hoot,” said Spike, who found the whole thing hilarious.

Applejack decided to change the topic as quick as possible.

“So Twi,” she started. “How’d yeh like yer first day of farm work?”

“It wasn’t bad at all,” said Twilight. “Although I have some joint pain.”

“Aw, shoot,” said Applejack. “That there’s a good thing. Shows you’ve been doin some, good ol’ fashioned work.”

“Speakin’ of which,” started Big Mac. “Granny, could you help Twilight after dinner with her joint pain?”

“I don’t see why not,” said Granny Smith. “Why the Apple family joint remedy has been passed down from generation tah generation. Aint nopony in Ponyville who can compete with it. That’s for dang sure.”

“Well then I certainly feel privileged to be receiving it then,” said Twilight.

“Seems only natral tah be usin the remedy on a filly Macintosh fancies,” said Granny Smith.

“GRANNY!” yelled Big Mac.

“What?” asked Granny. “Thought it wer obvious. Aint that why ya’ll is teachin’ her, and why she’s bein’ taught. I figred she fancied yah as well.”

That time Twilight did start chocking a little on her food. Spike couldn’t help but burst into laughter.

“Granny, me and Twilight are just friends,” said Big Mac defensively.

“Whatever yah say,” said Granny Smith. “But ya’ll should be honest with yerself, Macintosh Chelmsford Apple.”

“Chelmsford?” said Twilight, with a smirk on her face.

“Big Mac don’t like being called by his full name,” said Applejack. “Poor colt’s been cursed with funny middle name.”

“You should talk, Clementine,” said Big Mac with smugness.

“Clementine?” said both Twilight and Spike.

“Ma is from the Orange side of the Family,” said Big Macintosh.

“Oh wow, you two sure got tha short end of the stick there,” said Apple Bloom.

“Oh yeah, Ambrosia!?” said Applejack and Big Mac at once.

“Oh right,” said Apple Bloom. “Ah forgot about that.”

“So you’re full name is Apple Bloom Ambrosia Apple?” asked Spike.

“Actually,” chimed in Applejack. “Apple Bloom is a nickname. Her actual name is Ambrosia Bloom Apple.”

“APPLEJACK!” yelled Apple Bloom. “YA’LL PROMISED YOU’D NEVER TELL ANYPONY THAT!”

“But ah didn’t Pinkie promise,” said Applejack with a sheepish grin.

“But Applejack, you don’t use yer real name either,” said Big Mac.

“You wouldn’t dare!” said Applejack.

“Wouldn’t I though? Junaluska Clementine Apple,” said Big Mac.

“WHY YOU NO GOOD…” said Applejack.

“Interesting name,” said Twilight.

"Ma and Pa agreed that he got tah pick the colt names and Ma got tah pick the filly names,” said Big Macintosh. “Junaluska is a type of apple, Ma always liked the fancier names. Ah couldn’t pronounce Junaluska when ah was little. So Pa removed some letters, and combined the first letter of Clementine, making it Jack. Then he added Applejack tah make it sound a bit more girly.”

“Fun,” said Twilight.

“Eeyup,” said Big Macintosh.

“Spike! You better not tell a soul bout that! Specially Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo! They’d never let it down!” said Apple Bloom.
“No worries, Apple Bloom,” said Spike. “I promise.”

“Pinkie promise?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye,” said Spike.

“FOREVER!” said Pinkie Pie, popping out of a bowl of soup and descending back into it.

“Man, that’s eerie,” said Spike.

“Well, this certainly was a more lively dinner than usual,” commented Granny Smith. “We shuld have guests over more ofen.”

“I’ll say,” said Spike. “It’s usually just me and Twilight at the library. We don’t have nearly this much fun at dinner time. Mostly we just talk about books or lists or what our next assignment will be. So boring.”

“Well, Twilight, I reckon we ought tah get to healin’ them sores of yers,” said Granny Smith.

“Alright then, Granny Smith,” said Twilight. “I’ll be right back everypony.”

Twilight followed Granny Smith up to the bathroom on the second floor.

“Why are we going up here?” asked Twilight.

“Cuz the healin’ salve is in the bathroom, sugar cube,” said Granny Smith.

“I didn’t know you said sugar cube as well, Granny Smith,” said Twilight.

“Where d’you think Applejack got it frum?” said Granny Smith. “Plenty of sayin’s and nicknames have been passed down generations. That’s what family does.”

“True,” thought Twilight. “I was named after my great grandmother, Twilight. She was actually a Pegasus.”

“In’t that somethin,” said Granny Smith.

Granny Smith took out a jar from the bathroom cabinet.

“Now tha way this here works is that ah rub it inta yer shoulders,” said Granny Smith.
“It’s got a special blend of apple herbs and spices. It’s gunna also burn for a moment, but that means it’s doin’ its job.”

“I trust you completely, Granny Smith,” said Twilight.

Granny Smith began to apply some of the salve to Twilight’s joints. She wasn’t kidding either, it had a pretty intense burn starting out. But Twilight took it like a champ. As time went on, Twilight began to feel incredibly relaxed.

“So, Twilight,” began Granny Smith. “How do ya feel bout Macintosh?”

“Oh he’s a very nice colt,” said Twilight. “Hardworking, loyal, well mannered…”

“Not too bad tah look at either?” asked Granny Smith.

“Yes, he is quite handsome,” said Twilight, not really thinking as she was very relaxed from the massage.

Realizing what she just said, she tried to save face.

“But, um, we’re just friends of course,” said Twilight.

“But wouldn’t it be nice tah be more than that?” asked Granny Smith.

“I think we’re better off as friends, Granny Smith,” said Twilight.

“Ya know, Twilight,” started Granny Smith. “They say tha eyes are the windas to the soul.”

“Yes,” said Twilight. “I’m familiar with that saying.”

“Mah point is, deary,” began Granny Smith. “Ah can tell a lot about somepony by lookin’ inta their eyes. Ah know you have some pain in there. Guessin’ you had yer heart broken sometime ago.”

Twilight couldn’t believe how perceptive Apple matriarch was.

“Ye shouldn’ let past heartaches ruin present opportunities,” said Granny Smith. “And ah aint just sayin’ that cause Macintosh is mah grandson. Although he is a mighty fine young colt. Ah’m sayin’ it cause a sweet young filly like yerself deserves to be happy.”

“I appreciate the concern, Granny Smith,” said Twilight. “But I assure you that I’m quite alright.”

“If’n yah say so, sugar cube,” said Granny Smith. “Ah think that should do it.”
“Thank you very much, Granny Smith,” said Twilight. “I feel so much better. I should probably be getting Spike home. I’m sure he’s tired from today too.”

“Have nice dreams, Twilight Sparkle,” said Granny Smith. “Hope we can do this again real soon.”

“Sure,” said Twilight.

Twilight headed back downstairs to get Spike and head home.

“We should be heading home now,” said Twilight. “Same time tomorrow?”

“If that’s what yah wanna do, sure thing,” said Big Mac.

“Spike, do you mind staying home tomorrow to do some work in the library?” asked Twilight.

“It’s fine by me,” said Spike.

Apple Bloom once again grabbed Spike and took him to a different room.

“This again!? Really!?” said Spike.

“What do yah think yer doin’?” asked Apple Bloom. “I need yah here so we can keep an eye on them two.”

“Come on, Apple Bloom,” said Spike. “It’s clear that they’re getting along just fine. I have work to take care of in the library.”

“But Spike!” said Apple Bloom.

“Yes, Ambrosia?” said Spike with a hint of sarcasm.

Apple Bloom could tell by that tone that if she kept bugging Spike to help her, there was a risk he’d break his Pinkie promise and tell somepony about her real name. And once she had time to think about it, he was right. It was clear that Big Macintosh and Twilight were getting along. They had planted plenty of seeds.

“Alright, fine!” she said with frustration. “Ya got a point! But if sumthin real serious happens, I want you to be there for me!”

“No problem, Apple Bloom,” said Spike. “Now I need to get going. See you later.”

“Good night, Spike,” said Apple Bloom.

Meanwhile back in the living room.

“Well have a nice evening, Big Macintosh,” said Twilight. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Eeyup,” said Big Mac. “Ah’ll see ya tomorra.”

Twilight and Spike left the house and headed back to the library.