• ...
12
 222
 9,455

Chapter 1: The Question

It was just another day on Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack and her older brother, the gentle giant stallion Big Macintosh, were tending to the farm as always. The Apple matriarch, Granny Smith, was sleeping comfortably in her rocking chair. On this particular day, the youngest Apple sibling, Apple Bloom, was playing with Twilight Sparkle’s number one assistant, Spike. Twilight had decided to give him the day off, as she was just planning on doing some reading. Sweetie Belle was with her older sister, Rarity, in Canterlot for a special fashion show. Meanwhile Scootaloo had finally managed to get flying tips from Ponyville’s best flyer, Rainbow Dash.

“Certainly is a lovely day, eh big brother?” said Applejack

“Eyup.” said Big Macintosh

“ Looks like it’s gonna be another great harvest.” said Applejack

“Eyup.” said Big Macintosh

Meanwhile, Apple Bloom was trying to convince Spike to participate in her latest idea.

“Aw, come on Spike!” said Apple Bloom “Help me with this here catapult!”

“No way!“ said Spike “You’ll just want to use me as a guinea pig for it!”

“But you’re a dragon,” said Apple Bloom “Dragons are used to being up in the sky.”

“In case you didn’t notice, Apple Bloom, I don’t have wings!” said Spike

“I wish Scootaloo was here,” said Apple Bloom “She’d volunteer in a heartbeat.”

Lately Twilight had started taking one day a week to simply read or find some other fun activity. She was trying to figure out what to do with each day off. On her way to pick up Spike from the farm, she got what she felt was a terrific idea.

Big Macintosh was the first to see her walking up to the farm. Every time he saw the lavender mare, time just seemed to slow down. He had yet to tell her how he felt, he just couldn’t bring up the courage. He soon noticed that she was calling out to both he and Applejack.

“Applejack! Big Macintosh!” said Twilight “It’s so great to see you both!”

“Howdy, Twilight!” said Applejack

Big Macintosh struggled for a moment to say anything.

“Miss Sparkle.” said Big Macintosh

“Oh Mac. How many times do I have to tell, you can just call me Twilight?” said Twilight

“You can say that all ya want, Twi,” said Applejack. “But Big Mac here has always been one for the formal speech.”

“I suppose it is nice to come across a gentlecolt in this day and age,” said Twilight. “So how has Spike been doing?”

“Aw shucks, that little guy has been nothing but a little angel,” said Applejack. “Course Apple Bloom’s been wantin’ him to take part in her crazy crusading.”

“Oh that’s right! Sweet Belle went with Rarity to that fashion show in Canterlot,” said Twilight “What about Scootaloo?”

“Little filly finally got Rainbow Dash to star givin her some flying lessons,” said Applejack. “Poor thing still don’t have much wing strength.”

“Well, it can vary for anypony really,” said Twilight. “Some unicorns don’t develop magic till their kindergarten years.”

“I’m sure that weren’t a problem with you, Miss Sparkle.” said Big Mac

Twilight blushed a little by Big Macintosh’s comment and noticed him giving a sly smile.

“Oh…well, I’m sure I did as well as your average unicorn.” said Twilight

Just then Spike and Apple Bloom came by to greet Twilight.

“Howdy, Twilight Sparkle!” said Apple Bloom

“Greetings, Apple Bloom,” said Twilight. “Spike, did you have a good time?”

“Sure, I guess,” said Spike. “ But Apple Bloom kept wanting me to try out her new catapult. Forgetting that I don’t have wings!”

“Man I miss Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle!” said Apple Bloom. “But at least Scoots only has her flying lessons every couple of weeks. The sooner Sweetie gets back from that fancy fashion show the better.”

“Oh! Speaking of lessons!” said Twilight. “Big Macintosh? Could you teach me some lessons on harvesting?”

“Me?” said Big Mac

“Him!? Why can’t ya’ll learn from me, sugar cube?” said Applejack

“Well, Big Mac has had a lot more experience working on the farm since he’s the oldest,“ said Twilight. “I’m sure he also taught you all he knew.”

“Well, that’s certainly true,” said Applejack. “Big Macintosh here certainly is the hardest worker here at Sweet Apple Acres. I spose he’d be the best one to teach ya’ll. If he’s up to it. Whatdya say big brother?”

Again Big Macintosh seemed to be lost in thought at what he just heard. Twilight Sparkle wanted a personal lesson from him!? As he was coming out of his daze he could see Applejack trying to get his attention.

“Macintosh Apple!? What in tarnation is the matter with you!?” said Applejack

“Oh, um, sorry A.J.,” said Big Mac. “Just thinkin is all.

“So will you teach me, Big Macintosh?” said Twilight

“E…eyup!” Big Mac stumbled a bit in his speech. “It would be mah pleasure, Miss Sparkle.”

“Great! How bout we start tomorrow?” said Twilight. “I can reschedule some things.”

“Um…sure thing Miss Sparkle,” said Big Mac. “See you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow, Big Macintosh,” said Twilight. “Come on Spike.”

But before Spike could go, Apple Bloom took him over to the farmhouse.

“Hey!” yelled Spike. “What the hay do you think you’re doing?”

“Did you just see what I saw!?” said Apple Bloom

“What are you talking about, Apple Bloom?” said Spike

“Big Macintosh!” said Apple Bloom. "When Twilight asked him for lessons?”

“What? He said eyup,” observed Spike. “He always says that.”

“But the way he said it, Spike,” point out Apple Bloom. “He stumbled over his words.”

“So what?” said Spike

“Soooooo. I think that my big brother has some feelings for Twilight!” said Apple Bloom

“What?!” said Spike surprisingly. “That’s crazy! Why would Big Macintosh be interested in Twilight?!”

“Well shoot, Spike, Twilight’s a nice filly,” said Apple Bloom. “Sure Big Mac don’t look it, but he likes to read books too.”

“So why are you telling me this?” said Spike

“We should set them up!” said Apple Bloom

“What!?“ said Spike. “Apple Bloom, after the last fiasco you and your friends caused, I seriously doubt Big Macintosh would be up for this.”

“We just gotta be more discrete this time around,” Apple Bloom point out. “Besides we already have the perfect set up, what with Twilight wantin farming lessons and all.”

“So why do you need my help?” said Spike

“Cuz Sweetie Belle still won’t be back for a few more days,” said Apple Bloom. “Ah might be able to get Scootaloo to help out, but ah know ah could use a third. And you live with Twilight, so you can talk to her bout how great big Mac is!”

“I’m not interested in all this girly stuff!” said Spike

“Aw, come on Spike!” Apple Bloom begged. “Please!?”

Apple Bloom made her eyes big and pouted her lips. Nopony on earth could resist her sad face.

“ARG! FINE!” Spike said reluctantly. “I’ll see what I can do!”

Apple Bloom gave Spike a great big hug.

“Oh thank you thank you thank you!” said Apple Bloom. “This is gonna be so great!”

“Whatever you say.” said Spike

“SPIKE!” yelled Twilight for her young assistant. “What are you doing!? We need to get going!”

“Coming Twilight!” Spike yelled back. “Okay, I’ll talk to her on the way home.”

“Great!” said Apple Bloom. “But don’t be too obvious about it.”
“Yeah yeah, I got it!” said Spike

Spike left Apple Bloom to go home with Twilight.

“See you all tomorrow!“ said Twilight as she waved goodbye. “I can’t wait for my lessons Big Macintosh!”

“See ya tomorrow, Miss Sparkle.” said Big Mac

Applejack couldn’t help but notice Big Mac’s enthusiasm.

“Well somepony seems awful excited.” said Applejack

“I don’t know what ya’ll are talkin about.” said Big Mac. “I’m just happy to have someone tah teach. It’s been a while, and Apple Bloom is still too young.”

“I’m sure you are, big brother,” said Applejack snidely. “I’m sure you are.”