• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 1,059 Views, 15 Comments

Learning your wings - Skyeheart



Rainbow Dash goes back to school

  • ...
1
 15
 1,059

2nd period: But you are too old to avoid the 'special' treatment

"Okay, let's go over the list one more time. Number two pencils?"
"Ugh, check."
"60 page doubled lined notepad?"
"Yes..."
"Compass? Ruler? Sextant?"
"Uh huh..."
"Clear professional plastic binders?"

"Twilight! I'm going back to flight school, not preparing for a graduate thesis!" Rainbow stuffed the last of her bookworm friend's 'necessary' supplies that she graciously lent to her in her already bulging backpack.

"Okay, okay! But there's still an hour before the first bell. Maybe I can run some flash cards for you to help you warm up? Who knows? There might be a pop quiz."

"On my first day? Twilight, I know you want to help, but can we be a little more moderate with a touch of common sense?"

Rainbow groaned as a stack of textbooks were levitated on top of her back. "A pony's desire to learn is defined by his or her study habits. If you're going to ace your courses, we need to get you on a daily regime as quickly as possible."

"Why couldn't I have just gone supply shopping with Fluttershy instead?"

"Hey, I did warn you," Spike said as he finished spreading a PB & J for the paper bag lunch he handed to the mare.

"She seemed like the obvious choice for help," Rainbow weakly argued as she struggled to get airborne with her full load. "I mean, she did make the arrangements for my enrollment mid-semester."

"Too obvious. A mare who alphabetizes her pantry and broom closet should send a pretty clear message on what topic of conversation to avoid in general."

"Yeah, I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I'm looking for somepony to help me with my homework."

"Homework?" Twilight poked her head out from behind the selves with one of the fattest hardcovers Rainbow ever saw titled: 'A brief history on the theorems of Trigonometric Applications'. "That's right! We need to get a tutoring schedule put together as well. We can start after four, and have an hour for each subject, plus an additional thirty minutes to read ahead on the course of your choosing-"

Spike leaned over and whispered to Rainbow with a covered claw. "I'll hold her off, you make for Cloudsdale High, now!"

Rainbow did not need further incentive to get to class early. With a flick of her wings, she was out the door, determined not to let the little dragon's noble sacrifice be in vain.


Cloudsdale Flight Academy, it was just like she remembered it. The majestic, swirling clouds that supported the campus buildings floated high and proud above the rest of the city on the east end of the metropolis. The faculty building greeted her from the northwest gate, and dozens of school flags pegged every roof and puff. Flying towards the center quad, she looked up at the letters that named the building along with the ancient pegasi symbols that defined it. Skydancer Hall, her old homeroom building. Boy, did she have some memories on these steps. That one night she set up that fake date for the school's Starlight dance came to mind, that was one feathery mess to look back on and laugh. If it hadn't been for her old friends-

Rainbow Dash suddenly felt rather uncomfortable waxing nostalgia as more unpleasant memories came to surface. Her school chums. True, she hadn't had a lot. But the ones she did have...she left them on a bad note, and she had been a real jerk about it. Now that she thought back, before she had met Twilight and the others, she had been a real self-centered pony. It had never been the studying that was the hardest part of school, it had been the ponies around her. Maybe...just maybe...if she hadn't taken so much of them for granted...she never would have...

A blaring ring of the bell snapped her out of her stupor, and she made for the double doors before they could close on her.


Rainbow blinked at the tall, narrow metal repository before her. Was this? Was this really? She checked the bottom-right edge of the door for the tiny dent that never seemed to buff out, then for the tiny rusty streak on the second vent from the top. It was.

It was her old locker. Now this couldn't be a coincidence. Wow, Twi. I knew being the princess' number one egghead gave you quite a bit of leverage in education, but I didn't believe you'd pull this many stops out for me.

She then thought back to the mountain of flash cards Twilight made this morning. On second thought, yes I can.

Taking a moment to refigure her combination, then stuffing her backpack inside, she trotted over towards the homeroom class she had been assigned to. She double checked the schedule handout when she reached the door to see if she was at the right room. As she did, she heard a warm matronaly voice through the hickory wood. "-we have new student joining us today-"

Rainbow slicked back her hair and rubbed her hooves together after fastening a pair of her favorite shades on. Okay, showtime. Last time she was the new student, she ended up missing her shot to make an impression on the in-crowd by trying to snap roll her way in and ended up knocking out the teacher when her biology book slipped out of her hooves on the third spin. She wasn't going to make that mistake this time. Nothing flashy, just play it slow...and cool. Pushing the door open, she cantered towards the velvet red mare in front of her, then casually threw a glace at the seated pegasi. "Hey, 'sup peeps?"

"This is Rainbow Dash. She will be attending this homeroom for the remainder of the semester."

A moment of silence passed as everypony sat still, staring at the new arrival. Finally, a young lilac mare in the second row with two jade ponytails raised her hoof. "Uh, Mrs. Brightbulb? Did you say this was a new student?"

"Yes, Emerald Dew, I did."

"Then why is she so old?"

Rainbow's shades fell lopsided across her face. Annnnnnnd here we go. She grimaced. This was going to be a long semester.


"-so governor general Faron Winds established a regulatory system that limited the amount of sea water to be used in cloud production based on the levels of foliage in the area to avoid sediment deposits from building up and damaging fertile soil. Of course, while this stopped the San Palomino desert from spreading, it directly counteracted the Zephyr economic plan as fresh water purification requirements raised tax rates-"

Rainbow was doing her best to take notes, she really was. But halfway through the class, she began to notice quite a few classmates whispering and passing notes to their neighbors. More importantly, every so often, they seemed to look in her direction, which was a tad disturbing. Between that and the immensely boring history lecture, it was rather hard to keep Mrs. Brightbulb's words tuned in at all times. What's more, the fact she had gotten up at five to get ready, about four hours earlier than she usually got up, was finally starting to kick in. As the teacher began to draw a diagram on the blackboard, her mind gave a sigh of relief at something she recognized.

Oh good, she's going into the evolution of cloud assembly line. I already know that part like the back of my hoof. Maybe...I can...rest my eyes just a little bit to...get that groggy feeling out of-


A bustling cheer encompassed Cloudsdale stadium as a trio of pegasi in Wonderbolt uniforms spiraled in from above, Rainbow Dash leading the pack. She touched down in swooping fashion at the end of a large walkway flanked from both sides by pegasi in black and gold graduation caps and gowns. They parted a ways back, kneeling as she passed with a confidant gait in her strut. She approached the huge podium at the end of the path, her Wonderbolt escorts parted to the left side of the stage behind the stand, where the entire squadron stood proudly. On the right, a large band of aged scholars and professors had gathered. The frontmost one approached her as she took her spot on the podium, a shiny golden scroll in hoof.

"Rainbow Dash," he majestically proclaimed. "In all my years of teaching, I have never met a more awesome student like you at our school. You have completed your studies with a perfect grade point average, made honor roll, and acquired every varsity letter we've had to offer in only a week."

"Well, I could have done it sooner, but I had to make time for those extra community service hours, all 167 of them!"

"Which is why, I am honored to present to you the greatest academic degree in the history of all flight schools. The super mega diploma of pure win!"

The rolled of paper unfolded before Rainbow as she took her certificate and lifted it up high above her head. It literally shone with luminescence of Celestia's sun as everypony around her ooh'd and aah'd. "That's right! In your faces, player haters! Rainbow Dash is awesome at EVERYTHING she does! And this makes it official!"

"That's not the only thing it makes official." Rainbow felt her heart race as Wonderbolt captain Spitfire paraded up to her, smiling broadly. "Rainbow Dash, even I, have never been able to achieve the super mega diploma of pure win in all my years at Cloudsdale High. You might even be the very first pony ever to have achieved that greatness. There is no doubt in my mind what you would be capable of if you were to add to our team with your sheer amazingness. And so, there is only one thing I have to say to you."

Rainbow danced on the tip of her hooves, giddy with anticipation. "Really? Omigoshomigoshomigosh! What is it?"

"Nimbustown."

"Huh?"

*SMACK*
"Nimbustown, Miss Dash. The first integrated griffon-pegasi colony to be established within the eastern borderlands!"
"Wha-? Huh-? Uh, 42?"

Rainbow Dash's eyes shot open to stare pupil to pupil with a scowling Mrs. Brightbulb and her shaking ruler. She could hear a fit of giggles in the rows behind her as it dawned on her that she might have kept her eyes closed for just a little too long. Shrinking down into her seat, she smiled nervously as her professor narrowed her eyes and arched an eyebrow.

*RIIIIIIIIIIINNNNG*

Mrs. Brightbulb gave a sigh of resignation and turned back to blackboard as Rainbow gave an equally large sigh of relief. Saved by the bell, how cliche was that?

"Read pages 21 to 36 tonight ponies, we'll be discussing them tomorrow."

The students shuffled out into the hallway as the teacher began to erase the board. As Rainbow kept her head low through the rows to the door, she felt herself step on a crumpled ball of paper under one of the desks. Unfolding it, she realized it was one of the notes she had seen the other students passing among themselves.

Bet you 20 bits she's one of those 'special' ponies.

Rainbow crumpled the note back up bitterly. This was going to be a long, long semester.


Rainbow Dash fidgeted with the handle as she undid her combination lock. Forgot this locker can be a little finicky sometimes. With a sudden jerk, her door popped open for an avalanche of papers and books to tumble out on her. She swore she could hear laughter from the other side of the halls as she dug her way out of the pile.

"Hey there. Are you okay?"

Rainbow eyes came into contact with what appeared to be the geekiest pegasus she had ever laid eyes upon. His crooked glasses had at least two tape fixes, and his outfit consisted of a green and brown plaid sweater vest with a color matching polka dot bowtie. The color scheme alone would have enough to send Rarity into a fainting spell, so it clearly didn't help that it obviously clashed with his albino coat and orange freckles. And the shaggy bowl cut in his tawny mane left an impression that he had just looked in the mirror with a pair of scissors for about fifteen minutes. Even his cutie mark shouted 'swirly me!' as it depicted an abacus and stencil sheet. Who on Equestria used those old things anymore when calculators went for only three bits these days. For that matter, did any still exist? Well, maybe Twilight had one stashed away somewhere, but she was an exception.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Textbooks have actually been the softest thing I've had pelted at me in a while."

"Well here, let me help you with thes-by the great Gallopsby!" He yanked a green hardback out of the pile while Rainbow resisted the urge to facehoof. Even his turn of phrases...please don't tell me this is my lockermate!

Her fears were realized as the colt opened the locker right next to hers, all the while still having his eyes glued to the book. "Is this professor Brain Trust's Exploration in the Algebraic Dimensions, SPECIAL PREMIUM EDITION?! I can't believe this! Only a hundred and twenty-two copies of this version are still in circulation! I never thought I'd gaze upon this amazing, unedited primer of advanced mathematics!"

"Uh...yeah. A friend of mine lent it to me. Can I have it back now? I need it for my next class." Rainbow could already tell that even the brainy kids would consider this one nerdy, and the longer she stayed within his vicinity, the better her chances of accumulating minus social points were.

"Oh, certainly! Are you in Mr. Weighted Scale's precalc? Cause if so, we can walk together! I've always wanted to touch base with another intellectual who can appreciate the value of vintage educational reading. Everypony says there's no big difference between the editions, but they don't realize just how much of the original author's actual work is lost in those standardization processes and-"

"YeahsoundsfunI'llaskTwilightifshehasanothercopyNowIgottagobye!" She snatched the textbook from his hooves, slammed her locker shut and turned to floor it-

-right into her left lockermate. Landing head over hoof on top of the mauve pegasus, Rainbow found herself muzzle to muzzle with her sassy grin. "Oh, hey there! Poindexter! You never told me you had a new friend! And a very cool looking one at that!"

Rainbow heaved herself off as her new acquaintance circled around her. "Very cool indeed. Oh, look at that mane! Why didn't I think of dying my hair rainbow? That would be so neat!"

"What? This? Oh no, this is my natural color," Rainbow said as she flicked a hoof through her hair. "I was born cool, don't you know?"

"Then you are one very lucky filly." She circled Rainbow one more time before opening her own locker, eying at her own long silver hair in a small mirror.

"I think she's the new student that arrived today. She's been assigned to our locker row. She also seems to have access to unfurnished publishings, and has even agreed to lend me a few later on. She's amazing, right?"

"Is that so?" The teenage mare leaned in close to Rainbow as to put their conversation in private setting. "You've really hit it off with Poindexter, haven't you?"

"Yeah, it kinda just...happened."

"Well I got to say, I'm really touched you let him reach out like that. Aside from me and Pom Pom, nopony else here will even give the poor guy the time of day."

*Clatter* *Crack*
"Ah, superfudge! I stepped on my specs again!"

Rainbow glanced at the now half-blind nerd applied scotch tape to a cracked lens out of the corner of her eye. "Can't imagine why," she deadpanned.

The neighbor then stuck out her hoof. "Prism Lightcatcher."

Rainbow looked at it for a moment, then gave it a hoofbump. "Rainbow Dash." Well, at least she seems decent enough.

"Oh, gee. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I cannot stop saying how neato your mane is!" Prism giggled. "Talk about standing out in a good way. I'll bet you put a lasting impression on the peeps in homeroom, right?"

Rainbow scratched the back of her mane. "Yeeeeaaah, hopefully not too lasting..."

Prism's eyes then lit up. "Say, crazy idea. Have you gotten any club invitations yet?" She dug through her locker looking for something fervently.

"Uh, no. Clubs aren't really my thing anyways. I'm more of an athlete than a school spirit type." Rainbow had a feeling what was going to come next. "And FYI, cheerleading is not a sport."

"Oh, Rainbow Dash," Prism giggled. "I'm not a cheerleader, Pom Pom handles that kind of rallying. I represent the Pegasus Pride Group." She closed her locker and hoofed Rainbow a flyer with the cover art of two mare silhouettes standing flank to flank with a foreleg raised to a shooting star background. "It's our job to fight for the rights of every mare in the world, starting with this school. You wouldn't believe how many choices we're denied outside these school walls. And of course, we're not bigots, so we welcome males willing to support the cause too, like Poindexter here."

The white nerd paused to wave as he started on the other lens.

"And if you were to join the PPG, we would finally have the four member requirement to make our movement official to the school!" she continued. "And I just know with you as our image, we would garner the entire student body within a month!"

Rainbow examine the flyer being extended to her. So, these two were part of some feminist/racial activist group, huh? Well, Rainbow did have strong feelings towards unfair treatment, and from the rumors she heard back at the weather station, equality was getting to be a popular topic among the schools. Clubs and extracurricular, this wasn't exactly her thing. The only activity she ever tried was signing up for the stormball team, and that was only for the scholarship, which she never got. But...maybe if she got a little more involved in improving school life, her own would improve as well. Teachers always did like the more noble routine, and it could give her a chance to polish her image a bit. It certainly needed it after seeing how well her first impression was in only one classroom.

Of course, if king of the nerds behind her had been made a member, it couldn't be that awesome. Still, these two were going to be near her for pretty much her entire stay here. Having the good side of neighbors and roomies was always a plus in making school life bearable. And now that she thought about it, if she hung with Poindexter, she'd have a good excuse not to have queen egghead as her personal tutor 24-7. A brainiac buddy could come in handy while in school, so long as they didn't get too personal.

"I'll...think about it. Maybe."

"That's good enough for me! Trust me, come around to our clubroom at lunch today, and I promise you won't be sorry." She jammed the flyer in Rainbow's hooves. "Here, you can hold on to this for now while you make up your mind. The more ponies that see that and know about us, the better!"

As luck would have it, as soon as she let go, a nearby custodian opened the nearest exit to sweep the steps, and a short whiff of air puffed down the halls and snatched the paper.

"Oh. I got it! I got it!" Rainbow made a quick flying leap into the air to steal the flyer back. Cutting ahead of it, she made a perfect catch in her mouth. Turning her backside though, while still under the effect of inertia, was not the most prudent of actions. And she soon paid for it with her noggin denting an open locker door. Sliding to the ground, she rubbed her head to the sound of mocking laughter. Wait, laughter?

"Well, well. Looks like all the rumors I've heard about the infamous Rainbow 'Crash' are true." An olive stallion teen peered over her as she lay flat on her back. "Oh? And what's this?" He yanked the pamphlet out of her mouth to get a better look. "Not even an hour into your first day back, and you're making nice with Prism. Guess that's one more innuendo that's been confirmed."

Rainbow was still trying to indignantly digest that first remark before she could even wonder about what that last sentence meant. How had that name managed to survive after all these years? How many else knew about it? And who did this jerk think he was, spouting that insult out so blatantly?

"Hey! Punchout!" Rainbow lifted her chin enough to see Prism step forward with Poindexter hiding behind her. "Step off. It's way too early for your hassling."

"And if it isn't the pastiest of mommas boys too. You chummy with him as well? That's a riot." He closed his locker door as he flicked Rainbow's face with a feather on his wing. "Just so you know, they stopped holding competitions for the biggest school loser when the reigning champ made her title permanent by becoming the only dropout in the school's history."

Rainbow twitched at the implied statement as a quizzical frown appeared on Prism's annoyed face. "What are you talking about, Punchy?"

"What? You don't know? Oh, that's right. your family's from Whinnychester, where it's legal. Of course you don't know the legend of Cloudsdale High's greatest shame." The pony called Punchout dismissively waved her off, but Prism glared hard, undeterred.

"It's legal everywhere, jackanape. There's no law against it and you know it!"

Rainbow was starting to get confused. Legal? Did Prism have relatives with a record against them?

"There's no law for it either! And you know why? Cause it's just not natural. But hey, I'm not hating here. Heck, mare on mare action is pretty funny to watch as a matter of fact. And now that you've found yourself an actual partner, maybe you can finally get fitted for a dress to homecoming! Something scantily clad I'll bet."

Rainbow's eyes began to widen. Partner? Mare on mare action? No, no! It couldn't be! She shot another peek at the flyer, staring at the two mares. The two mares whose flanks bumped each other rather precariously.

The PPG isn't some feminist group...it's...IT'S A...

"That's all we are to your type, aren't we? Some sick joke you like to get high on because of your own insecurities and failures with mares, despite the fact that their ratio to stallions is three to one!"

"There's a reason the word fool is in fillyfoolers. See you in biology, Prism 'dyke'catcher."

Prism stomped her hooves and held her head high as Punchout trotted away snickering. "FILLYFOOLER AND PROUD OF IT!!"

FILLYFOOLER?! Rainbow Dash's head swam as she mushed it with her hooves. Not again! Not again! Oh Celestia and all things holy! NOT AGAAAAAAIN!!

But it was again. The forbidden label that she sought so desperately to be rid of all those years ago was back on her forehead. This was going to be a long, long, long semester.

She felt a soft hoof touch her shoulder, and met Prism's reassuring face. "Don't let Punchout get you down. He's a bit of jerk to everyone, even his jock posse. Don't worry though. Just stick with us, and he'll be little more than a nuisance."

Rainbow's eyes twitched. It was just like before all those years ago. She fell in with the wrong crowd, got misunderstood, and would end up scrounging around the bottom of the totem pole. Why? Why was she always the one singled out?!

Buck the lockermate code, these ponies weren't going to help her get through the year.

"Stick with you?! I want nothing to do with you! I did not come back here to get sucked into my old loserdom status all over again! And that's exactly what hanging around you is going to do! Scram! Both of you!"

Surprised by her sudden outburst, Poindexter took off like a mad dog was after him, while a shocked and dazed Prism followed behind.

"And you can forget about me joining your stupid club!" Rainbow threw the flyer in their general direction. "Because I'm NOT A FILLYFOOLER!"

After panting for a few moments. She glanced across the empty hall as the bell rang again. Great, now she was late. Her head drooped down as she sighed. A rotten feeling welled up from within the pit of her stomach. Okay, maybe she was a victim of circumstance again, but taking it out on them? Well, now everypony was miserable, but it didn't fix anything.

"Come back..." she dejectedly muttered. "I didn't mean it..."

"You never do. But it still hurts regardless.That's why you should be telling it to them in pony instead of half mumbling it to me from behind."

Rainbow Dash's head shot up. "That voice..."

"But all in all, it's good to see you. It's been a long time, Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow spun around to see who was speaking, and her jaw nearly touched the floor.

"YOU-?!"

Author's Note:

After this chapter, I will be focusing my all to my main series, A future of friendship, a history of hate for awhile. Being that the next chapter will tie in to events after the episode: Griffon another chance. I recommend checking it out if you haven't yet. Thank you.

Comments ( 4 )

Geez Punchout was a total d-bag there. Seriously Rainbow Dash just ignore him and find out for youself what the club is like. :facehoof:

Also I do sense the return of Gilda? Oh boy I wonder what she could possibly be doing here? :pinkiegasp:

I never understood what was so damning about being a tomboy or rainbows anyway. Besides, from my experience fics where Dashie's straight are few, far between and nearly always great.

Gotta feel sorry for her. Guessing her automatically being slapped with negative/false labels are part of what caused her to drop out in the first place. (Wait a minute, do I see a reference to Dash Academy there?)

EDIT; Ah. Completely missed ya saying it's heavily inspired by Dash Academy.

Comment posted by Skyeheart deleted Jun 11th, 2013

Suddenly Gilda!

Login or register to comment