• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 11,279 Views, 9,916 Comments

Eljunbyro - Imploding Colon



Bellesmith must perform experimental tasks in order to keep herself and her beloved safe.

  • ...
49
 9,916
 11,279

PreviousChapters Next
Night Falls

Belle sat in a corner of the kitchen, hugging her limbs to herself. She shivered in the settling darkness around the cottage, her moist eyes struggling to stay open. Everytime she allowed her lids to lower, she'd see a flash of colors and patterns that she didn't understand, and several of them drenched in ashes.

Her lungs heaved and she squeaked in pain. She ran her hooves over the stubby horn on her crown, as if expecting the very tip to be glowing hot. It wasn't.

Belle's breaths were just starting to calm to a normal pace just as a heavy set of hooves shuffled towards the front gait, took a ninety-degree turn, and galloped evenly to the door of the cabin.

"Belle?! Beloved?!"

The door yawned open, and Pilate poked his head in. He glanced every which way, gasping for breath. His ears flicked for a sign, any sign.

"Belle? Talk to me!" He gulped dryly and tilted his mouth down to the sphere at the end of his choker. "O.A.S.I.S...."

"I'm here, Pilate," she murmured. "No need to b-bring out the mana sphere..."

"There you are!" He scampered over to her, feeling around. As soon as his hooves made contact with hers, he flew down and scooped her into a trembling hug. "You had me so worried!" he exclaimed, muffled into her shoulder. "You know how much I hate it when you just run off like that!"

"I know, darling. I know and I'm sorry." She sniffled and nuzzled him back. "I... I-I don't know what got into me. I..."

"Was it something you saw?" Pilate asked. "Something that Baxter handed you? It was the fruit, wasn't it?"

Belle was silent.

"I sniffed it. It was an ordinary apple. You've never had a problem with fruit before. What made you panic so much?"

"It's not panic, Pilate. It's..." She bit her lip and quivered. Her voice came out like a wilting foal's, "I just don't know. I don't..."

He gazed past her, breathing steadily. As her body began to shake more, he nevertheless smiled and held her tightly, allowing her to surrender into his embrace. "I'm not mad at you, beloved. I'm simply confused. Everything seemed just fine until that moment. Is there anything that I can do? Anything I can help you with?"

She sniffled and sobbed into his striped limbs. "You're doing it, Pilate. Bless you; you're doing it..."

"Shhh," he urged, and rocked the two of them together softly as night fully fell, and the magically-induced chime announcing curfew blared with finality across the heights of Blue Shelf.

PreviousChapters Next