• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 11,278 Views, 9,916 Comments

Eljunbyro - Imploding Colon



Bellesmith must perform experimental tasks in order to keep herself and her beloved safe.

  • ...
49
 9,916
 11,278

PreviousChapters Next
New Friends

"Well, from what I can judge, we're about a day's trip from the west end of Foxtaur Forest."

"Foxtaur?" Bellesmith blinked. "You mean the one with the dense canopy?"

"Yes, that's the one," Pilate said, nodding as his rune-capped plate flickered in cadence with the hovering O.A.S.I.S. sphere. His mana-powered instrument was busily hovering over the unfolded lengths of the map, casting a solid beam of blue light over the sketched lines as the zebra "read" the local cartography. "It'll undoubtedly give us plenty of cover from any zeppelins that might wander overhead."

"But..." Belle chewed on her lip as she gazed over the eastern foliage dotting the horizon. "I've heard that there are all sorts of nightmarish creatures nestled within Foxtaur. Must we really make a detour through that Spark-forsaken place?"

"Hey!" Rainbow Dash hovered lower in the air above the hilltop and gave Belle a playful nudge. "Who said I was gonna abandon you two?" She winked.

Belle chuckled slightly. "I'm just trying to think a bit more rationally than adventurously..."

"The way I see it, we have worse enemies in the Ledomaritan patrols pursuing us," Pilate thought out loud. "If we pace ourselves and make sure not to stir up too much trouble, I'm more than certain we can make it through Foxtaur in one piece."

"And stroll unhindered through the Sapphire Plains beyond?"

"Exactly. It'll be a long trek, but if we keep south of the city of Blue Nova, I-I'm pretty sure we'll be in the clear." Pilate retrieved O.A.S.I.S. to his choker and slumped back suddenly, rubbing his head. "Unnngh..."

"Beloved!" Belle rushed to his side. "Are you okay? Is... is the sphere in need of a recharge?"

He gulped and nodded. "Desperately." Wincing, he tilted his head her way. "And not just that, but I feel as if O.A.S.I.S. is undergoing some kind of feeback."

"Feedback?" Belle spoke as she folded the map and slid it into the midnight saddlebag. "Could there be a large source of mana nearby?"

"Well, the map did show two crystal caves between here and the edge of Foxtaur. It's quite possible that we might some resonance prisms in there."

"Yeah, but, is it really worth the risk?" Belle asked.

"Risk?" Rainbow Dash blinked, her blue ears perking up. "What risk?" She dove down. "Where?"

"Rainbow..." Belle squinted at her.

The pegasus smiled innocently. "I'm just curious!"

"If we were still in Blue Shelf, we'd ask a fellow unicorn or magical antelope to help recharge O.A.S.I.S.," Pilate explained, still rubbing his head. "Out here in the middle of the Ledomaritan Wilderness, we have to make do with whatever we can scrounge up."

"Pilate, crystal caverns aren't exactly known for their... ease of navigation."

"It's alright, beloved." Pilate patted her shoulder and stood up on wobbly legs. "I can manage without your delightful invention for a fortnight if need be."

"And wander around pathetically in the dark when we can reboot your 'sight' lickety-split?!" Rainbow Dash frowned and shook her head. "No friggin' way! We're going!"

"Huh?" Belle gawked up at her. "What have we been over about you risking yourself?!"

"Hey. It's a cave full of crystals." Rainbow Dash winked. "If you've poked around in my head long enough, you should know I've had my fair share of underground places in the last year and a half. I think I'm more than well-equipped to give it a look see for a 'prism battery' or what-crap."

"I'm fine, really," Pilate said with a sheepish smile. "You two can read the map and I'll fill you in on the details stored in my head."

"You just don't get it, do you?" Rainbow Dash flew down and poked his nose with a hoof. "This is not just about getting you two someplace safe, but getting you two someplace comfortable."

"Buh?"

Rainbow Dash smiled. "Chillax, Pilate. You and Belle shouldn't feel like you should give up on so much. I'm gonna get you your sight back, so let's make for the caves!" She soared off into the air and darted eastward. "I'll get a bird's eye view!" she shouted from above. "Follow along! I won't lose track of you, I promise!"

Pilate reached out blindly, and Belle guided his hoof as the two trotted along. "Am I the only one who noticed that she called me by my real name just now?" he stated.

"Heehee..." Belle smiled and nodded. "I think she just may have."

"What happened to the Rainbow Dash who dragged us out of the metal contraption in the earth?"

"I dunno, Pilate." She leaned against him and nuzzled his shoulder. "I think maybe... just maybe... she made some new friends..."

The two marched after the flying blue blur, christened by the golden glow of the passing day.

PreviousChapters Next