• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 11,272 Views, 9,916 Comments

Eljunbyro - Imploding Colon



Bellesmith must perform experimental tasks in order to keep herself and her beloved safe.

  • ...
49
 9,916
 11,272

PreviousChapters Next
Ever Dizzy

"Hcckktโ€”Hahahahaha!" Rainbow Dash was still clutching her sides as the three ponies stumbled their way up the side of a steep hill overlooking the village. A column of smoke rose west of them, gathering golden haze in the mid-morning light. "Ohhhhh! That guy was full of little gems! I gotta write some of them down!"

"Yeah..." Pilate wheezed, slumping down onto his chest as soon as he reached the shade of trees. "You do that... Whew... Ohhhhhhh boy was that unnecessarily loud."

"We gotta put you through more workouts, Stripsey!" Rainbow Dash said, panting as she hovered over the two winded equines. "How do 'blind hurdles' sound? We'll make you gallop in a straight line and shout 'goose' every time you have to jump something."

"Rainbow Dash... we appreciate... your tenacity and improvisational attitude..." Belle sputtered between heaving breaths. She faced the forest, trembling, snapping shut the pockets of the lunar saddlebag on Pilate's flank, securing the freshly pilfered provisions inside. "But we have to lay down some ground rules."

"She's a pegasus, beloved."

"Fine!" Belle grunted. "Sky rules! Air rules! Whatever! Rainbow, we just can't... c-can't have you doing all of those crazy stunts like you used to! I mean, I know it's what you did when you traveled alone, but Pilate and I can't handle it! We don't have the strength or the blood pressure orโ€”heckโ€”the daredevil attitude! I think the two of us are a great deal more fragile than you give us credit for and... and..."

Belle gulped, standing in place. The air felt very still for some reason. Even Pilate sensed it; the zebra's ears twitched in the air.

"Rainbow Dash?" Belle spun around. She gasped, her chestnut eyes widening. "Rainbow!"

Pilate felt the unicorn's hooves scampering across the grass. He stood up, still trying to catch his breath. "What? What is it, Belle? What's wrong with her?"

"I don't know!" Belle squeaked, squatting by the pegasus' side. "Rainbow? Is everything okay? Speak to me?"

Rainbow Dash had collapsed, but she wasn't unconscious. Instead, her body twitched involuntarily as she clutched at the green blades of the earth with shivering limbs. Her eyes were clenched shut, and she gnashed her teeth.

"No..." Rainbow Dash hissed. She breathed heavier, and struggled to keep the bile down her throat. "You g-gotta be friggin' kidding me. I thought it was over... I thought I-I was cured..." She clutched her head and rolled onto her back, whimpering. "I'm still alive, aren't I?! What gives?! Goddess alive, I don't understand it..."

"Rainbow Dash, talk to me." Bellesmith suddenly froze, and her lips pursed. She gulped. "Is it... is it a case of dizziness?"

"Nnnnnghโ€”Darn it!" Rainbow Dash slapped her hoof repeatedly into the dirt, curling up into a fetal position as her voice shook. "Why is this still happening?! I died and came back! Why, Luna?! Why..."

Belle bit her lip, her eyes moistening. She stroked a hoof gently across Rainbow's neck, then looked towards Pilate. "Beloved, can you walk."

"Nnngh... but of course..."

Belle glanced worriedly at the flickering runes on his plate. "How's your head?"

"Better than Rainbow's, I suspect."

"But the sphereโ€”"

"I'm fine, just a little bit of mana-feedback, but nothing I can't handle." He stood up and moved towards Belle's breathing voice. "Lean her against me."

"Okay. Rainbow Dash?"

"Yeah..." The pegasus shuddered, struggling up on wobbly legs. "It's.. It's passing, kind of..."

"Still, let us help you..."

Rainbow said nothing. With a sullen glare cast earthward, she trudged up the rest of the hill's distance and into the dark forest beyond. Belle and Pilate trotted closely on each side of her, supporting her.

"We've got food. We've got a map." Pilate smiled as he spoke in a reassuring voice. "Believe it or not, we have a leg up on things, Miss Dash. Let's just get somewhere far from here."

"Yeah..." Rainbow Dash muttered, her nostrils flaring. "East. Just... go east..."

The trio disappeared beneath the forest canopy.

Far down below, in the ash-settling center of the village...

The citizens trotted back, gulping as they gazed nervously at the ruined marketplace. Enforcer Josho was sitting on his haunches, rubbing his aching horn in one hoof and clutching his rifle in the other. Red Oats paced frantic circles around him.

"This isn't good... This isn't good at all..." Red Oats hissed under his breath. "When the next zeppelin rolls through here, they're gonna report all this damage to the Council of Ledo." He whimpered. "They'll ship my beloved and I closer to the warfront! Ohhhhh this is not good!"

"Unnngh..." Josho stroked his furrowed brow.

"Sir, what do we do?!"

"We have a leg up on things, Miss Dash..." Josho muttered, his face twisted as his horn glowed in uneven, steaming pulses. "We've got food... a map..."

"Huh?!" Red Oats gave him a confused glance. "The hay are you talking about, Enforcer?"

"I... I don't know..." Josho blinked towards the horizon. Everytime he faced east in a certain direction, his horn strobed with resonance. He wasn't the only one who noticed it. Several ponies gazed at the beacon on his forehead in curiosity. "Hmmm..." He sighed. "I think I need a drink."

PreviousChapters Next