• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 6,056 Views, 167 Comments

Lie of Omission - Sparkler



There's an alicorn in the Mane Six. It's not Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
15
 167
 6,056

Chapter 1

"Granny Smith!" Applejack shouted as she galloped into the kitchen. Luckily, the door hit nothing but the wall as she hastily shouldered the door out of the way. "No time to explain, where can I hide?"

The old green mare looked surprised, but held open the pantry door. "In here, then."

Applejack nodded, and quickly slipped into the tiny room, collapsing on the floor. Sweat coated her brow, and her trademark hat was nowhere to be seen; her mane and tail were an absolute mess. "Don't tell..."

Granny Smith shushed her, and pushed her back into a flour sack. "If you're hiding, don't talk." And with that, she closed the door and went back to the day's chores. The sound from the pantry slowed to a heavy pant, then stopped.

None to soon. The same door that had just been shouldered aside was knocked aside at least twenty percent faster by a pair of crashing pegasi hooves. "Applejack! Hey, Applejack!"

"Now, we've told you, Rainbow Dash - you don't fly through that door, you walk through, and you never slam it open. What if Applejack had been standing there?"

Applejack swallowed as she heard Rainbow Dash's hooves clatter on the ground. "Ye-yes, ma'am."

Applejack gave a worn smile. That bought her another five seconds as Rainbow Dash walked out the door, then trotted back in as fast as she could. "Granny Smith, have you seen Applejack? I need her help."

"Can't say I know where she is." And that was literally true; it was entirely possible Applejack had tunneled out of the pantry when Granny Smith wasn't paying attention. "Now, what's so important that you slammed our doors open for it?"

"There's this newcomer in Ponyville, and she's been all over the sky. As the local weathermare, I just need to make sure she knows the aerials, that's all."

"Well, that's all above us," Granny Smith joked, using an earth pony expression that dated back about two generations. "None of us know anything about any new pegasi in town."

Rainbow Dash gave a dejected little sigh. "Alright, but... well, if you see her, you'll tell her to talk with me, right?"

"I'll do that."

Applejack held her breath as she heard the fast trot out the door. The moment the last hoof had stepped onto the wooden porch, there was the telltale slam of the door and clattering of pots as Rainbow Dash's wake slammed the door shut behind her. But Applejack still jumped when the pantry door opened, revealing an annoyed Granny Smith.

"Now, why did I just go to all that trouble when she wasn't looking for you?"

"No... she was looking for me. She just didn't know it."


Big Mac gently pushed Applejack's door open with a hoof. In his teeth was clenched a familiar hat.

"Oh, thanks," Applejack said tiredly. There was still light outside, but she had already shut her curtains tight, and was laying on her bed alone in the dark. She waved a hoof, and he hung it on the appropriate hook.

"I found it over by the old riverbed." He sat, the light from the hall cast just beside where she slept. He didn't enter any further, but he wasn't about to go away, either.

"Yeah. About that. I... I had been spending some time there."

Her brother smiled softly. "'Letting your hair down' again?"

She gave an exasperated little sigh, and rolled onto her back. "Yes, I did it again! I can't exactly do it in the farm or in town, and I don't want to go too far, but... keeping up appearances is hard, alright? And it hurts if I go too long in this guise."

Big Macintosh too a step back. Hearing that it was painful was new information to him, and he had been helping keep his sister's secret for years now. He grimaced as he thought back; for all these years, he thought she was just being selfish, every time she had "gone out." There had even been strong words, once or twice. Big Macintosh couldn't quite look his sister in the eyes as he raised a broad hoof. "Well, Applejack... you know you can always count on me. If you ever need a distraction or an alibi, just ask, you hear?"

Applejack nodded softly, but turned away. It wasn't until she felt his great big hoof rest gently on her flank that she looked up, to see his kind smile upon her.

"You know you're not alone. You've got family, you know. And that will never change."

She shook her head. "I know. I just... I just don't want the family thinking I'm different or weird, is all." She sighed, and flopped her head on the bed, closing her eyes.

Especially Apple Bloom.


Rainbow Dash had ascended as high as she could, to the highest cloud in the sky - a tiny little patch of fog, just enough to properly sprawl out on. The first course of business, of course, to search the sky for that golden mare. Second - to make sure there were no eavesdroppers.

Because when she flopped back against the cloud, she let back a high-pitched squeal of delight.

That was totally awesome!

Rainbow Dash had noticed the tall alicorn flying around the old riverbed. Any pro athlete, like the Dash, could see that it wasn't your typical morning stretch; the alicorn (besides using golden magic to pluck some fruit mid-flight) was pulling serious turns, dissipating clouds with practiced bounces and sprinting from one tree to another, repeatedly. Rainbow Dash had tried to introduce herself - to fulfill her job duties, then give the alicorn some pointers on her form - but the alicorn had flown off, shocked.

And from then, the chase was on!

It wasn't a competition proper. It was just two mares, going all out for the pure sake and joy of going all out. They flew down the river bed, over the wild Everfree, through banks of clouds and up along a waterfall. Rainbow Dash had actually had to burst through that waterfall to keep up. It was such a wild stunt, one that would normally require weeks of practice to get just right - and the two of them had just spontaneously done it.

Rainbow Dash might be the top athlete in all Ponyville - but this newcomer might even be better than that!

She tried to recall the alicorn's cutie mark - three rubies? Relative of Rarity's? - and her face. They hadn't actually exchanged any words, nor did she get to look at her long; nothing but that beautiful tail and long, golden mane slashing back and forth from the pure speed. If she had had more red to her hair - and, of course, not been an alicorn - Rainbow Dash would have thought Ponyville had been visited by Spitfire. But not even seeing the Wonderbolts perform could have made her feel as wonderful as that race just was.

Rainbow Dash splayed her wings out against the cloud as she tried harder to imagine her face. But as she did so, her imagination went into overdrive - imagining not just what the visitor's face would look like, but what it would look like looking at her. Rainbow Dash swallowed at the way the alicorn smiled at her in her mind's eye.

Oh Celestia, am I really thinking this way about somepony?

The pegasus hadn't thought seriously about a relationship before - although there had been that one time with Caramel, and she still had that signed photo of Soarin framed in her living room. Unlike the one-night flings and passionate dreams of her past, when she thought of her mystery alicorn, she imagined something... cozier. Two athletes living together; together, they could be harder than steel in practice and in flight, yet soft and light as a feather at home.

Athletes take good care of themselves, right? So we'd take good care of each other, too, right?

Still turning the idea over in her head, Rainbow Dash closed her eyes - and suddenly, she imagined that golden alicorn on her bed. That really made her blush, especially imagining the way those huge wings splayed out, a telltale come-hither lilt to the eyes and to the feathers. Or the two of them wrestling for something, and that alicorn leaning in for a surprise kiss, using the surprise distraction to win the contest...

Oh Celestia, am I really thinking this way about another mare?

Rainbow Dash's eyes flew wide open. Of course, the alicorn had not appeared above her; only perfect blue sky in every direction. But she grinned anyways.

"Oh, I don't care!"

Rainbow Dash gave another giddy squeal, and did a tight little loop around the cloud, adding a roll so that her wings splayed out. The cloud broke up protesting the sudden pressure burst around it, creating a bright rainbow flash in the sky where the cloud had just been.

"By Celestia," Rainbow Dash shouted triumphantly, as if daring all of Equestria to hear her cry. "I'm going to find that golden alicorn! And I'm - I'm-"

just say it! - nopony can hear you - if only - it would be so awesome -

"- I'm going to ask her out!"