• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 18,931 Views, 1,460 Comments

The Xenophile's Guide to Equestria - archonix



A chronicle of Twilight Sparkle's life with the human Lero and his herd. Based on Xenophilia.

  • ...
67
 1,460
 18,931

First Interview with Princess Luna

First Interview with Her Royal Highness Princess Luna

This transcript includes more detailed notation and a record of silences indicated numerically in seconds.

Subsequent interviews were conducted with more decorum and are more informative. This interview was included as it prompted several areas of research.

Date: 1216/02/13
Time: 2:45 AM

Interviewer: TWILIGHT SPARKLE

Interviewee: PRINCESS LUNA

(Start of Interview)

TWILIGHT SPARKLE: First let me say how much of an honour it is to be able to interview you, Princess Luna.

PRINCESS LUNA: The honour is mutual, Twilight Sparkle. It is pleasing that you are willing to engage your task at this hour. Few ponies wish to do so.

TS: I've been— (inaudible) been getting used to early hours recently. Lyra—

PL: Ah yes, the one called who desires to be called loopy.

TS: You've been talking to my mother again.

PL: Ah. Another of her questionable jokes. I understand.

(1.1)

TS: Well, anyway, um, ah, lets start with (pause) your full title. For the recording.

PL: Very well. By name I am Luna de Losna, though I have been known by many names to many peoples in times past. Moon Dancer, Star Walker, Diana, Selene, Mother of Night, The Hunter, Wanderer. Many more. (inaudible) miss that one the most.

TS: And these—

PL: Many are incorporated into my full official title, but I shall not repeat the entire thing as it would take far too long, and I suspect your little device would grow bored.

TS: Oh. Yeah, it's been acting up again.

PL: The title that I bear for most official purposes is Her Royal Highness Princess Luna of Equestria, Regent of the Moon, Duchess of Hesperia and the Bit Islands, Grand Judge of Night. I'm also a legal scholar, though I have yet to be engaged in any capacity since my return. It is rather amusing to think that such a role requires that I guess the will of Celestia when I can simply ask her.

TS: Oh. Yeah, I thought about legal training once. It didn't appeal.

(4)

PL: I see that a questionable sense of humour is a trait in your family.

TS: Well excuse me p—

PL: Do not.

TS: Sorry. (inaudible) was funny.

PL: Perhaps. I am merely aware that our time is limited. Be at peace, Twilight Sparkle.

TS: Okay, well, perhaps— perhaps you could briefly describe your duties as a princess?

PL: Briefly? (laughter) I shall try.

TS: Succinctly, then.

PL: You are aware of my affinity for the moon—it is my elemental role. I raise the moon each night, and lower it each morning.

TS: So far so popular.

PL: In addition I convene what is popularly referred to as the night court, though it rarely take place at night. I also serve as the seated secretary of Parliament, though it is rare that I actually take that seat, and I assist my sister Celestia in the general administration of our laws and government to whatever degree we feel it is appropriate.

TS: That's actually more than I expected. Were these all things you did before—um... before?

PL: In fact no. I have assumed many of Celestia's former roles since my return. Only my affinity for the moon remains from before. I have often considered restoring my judicial roles, but I am told that the high court now serves adequately.

(2.2)

TS: Can—Can I ask about the changes that have taken place in your absence?

PL: Where do I begin? (laughter) Equestria feels so big now. When I departed, it was but a tiny place. It stretched from Manehattan on the coast to just west of Canterlot, leaving much of the continent empty or unclaimed by any great power. I have yet to fully explore much of the land that has been annexed since.

TS: Annexed?

PL: Forgive me. Incorporated. Is that the correct terminology?

TS: I think the word you're after is federated.

PL: Ah yes. There was a time when rebellious provinces were brought under the yoke of an all-powerful ruler, but—ah, the past is truly another country. Celestia has remarked that she would not wish to be reminded of such days, though I cannot feel that much has been lost in this era of civic fumbling and meandering politicians. That great city of Roam, I am given to understand, is now merely the administrative capital of one of these federatings.

TS: They're called states, and Roam is actually the capital of a dependent Queendom. Only about a third of Equestria is federated at the moment. The rest is still a combination of provinces, dependencies and titled lands.

PL: Ah, the Nobility. Never was a name so ironic. (laughter) Present company excepted, of course.

TS: Thanks, I guess.

PL: Still, this form of government intrigues, does it not? A mishmash of arrangements. Somehow it has brought about a peace that I never knew in my era. Why, even minotaurs roam the land unmolested! And this human of yours—he has such a fine voice, does he not? In my own day he might well have become a ward of the royal court and perform for our pleasure. Tis a pity such cannot be so. Were I not pursuing your mother's herd—

TS: Moving on! (inaudible)

PL: I fear I have erred again...

TS: (inaudible)

PL: Perhaps if we were to discuss—

TS: (inaudible) another time. I don't think I can keep this up right now.

PL: You may return whenever you like, Twilight Sparkle. During the day, too, if that is preferable. After all, an alicorn such as I rarely needs sleep.

TS: Oh. I could have come during the day?

PL: As I said. But I thank you for visiting at this hour anyway, Twilight Sparkle. I seldom have visitors so late. It is refreshing.

TS: Oh. (inaudible)

PL:Perhaps you might tell me of this device? It is rather impressive, even for the advances of this age.

TS: This—oh! Yeah, it's, well I'd have to turn it off to show you properly, but it—

(RECORDING ENDS)

Comments ( 40 )

Took me a moment to realize/remember that the parenthesized numbers were awkward pauses, measured in seconds.

In any case, very interesting model of Equestrian governance. Seems like something Discord would approve of, were he barred from anarchic dictatorship.

Thanks for another installment of the Guide. :twilightsmile:

Looks like Luna may have the hots for Lero.
At this point I'm beginning to wonder who doesn't.
Even Blueblood wouldn't mind taking it through the back door.

So, I suppose that Equestria could technically be considered an alliance under the at least symbolic rule of the Diarchy. Of these, the Equestrian Federation, the nation ruled from Canterlot, is probably the biggest. However, it contains an array of other nations such as the Crystal Empire and, likely, city states and larger segments.

4178391

I don think the diarchy's rule is symbolic, as they're still active in governance- they've just delegated large amounts of authority- which one assumes they could reclaim, if they saw fit. Also, the crystal empire has been explicitly depicted as it's own nation, an ally of, but not under the rule of equestria.

Another spot in the feature box, congrats!:pinkiehappy: Of course, you share the box with a jizz inflation FutalooxLuna fic...:pinkiesick::fluttershbad:

4178488
Whilst the Empire is functionally independent, so are many of the other various alliance members. However, I bet that, in reality, all their leaders would defer to Celestia and Luna.

4178390

Lero needs to use his best bedroom voice and wiggle a brow, "It's the hands, filly..." :rainbowwild:

Moon Dancer, Star Walker, Diana, Selene, Mother of Night, The Hunter, Wanderer.

Huh Luna has an array of various names (obviously references to various people in media related to the moon)

Perhaps they were past lives? Now that would be very interesting the names I do know is Selene and Diana (Which i'm fucking amazed that you put that there as I LOVE Diana for a passion.) If Luna went by Diana I would assume Tia went by the name Leona at one point in time as well...

Its great to see this updated.

The way to keep order, is to keep the noble families delicately poised upon the point of chaos.

And of course, to know where they all live.

Lord Havelok Vetinary.:trollestia:

4178720 I think it's telling that the Crystal Empire can host the Equestria Games. The name of the Games suggests it's a national institution, so the Crystal Empire is likely a unit within that nation in some way.

4180006 Not strictly necessary though. Aren't there Canadian and US teams in the NHL (National Hockey League)?

4178720
It's kinda hard to argue with the people that run the sky.

4181541
Celestia would be shocked at the suggestion of her using coercion or even that she would imply that she would enforce her authority by selective use of her power over the Sun. Likely she would respond by sending you to some hick town full of madponies to learn the Magic of Friendship until you stopped having such unworthy thoughts.

Luna would smirk and say: "Now you are starting to learn, My Little Pony."

4181630

Oh, no, she wouldn't ever overtly threaten the use of her control to coerce you in line. Such would not be proper or just. Subtle reminders such as titles, or annual celebrations should do fine to remind those who consider moving against you and your people that the only reason they have sunshine and crops is your sufferance.

Good as always, though I found some minor grammar/spelling things.

PL: Ah yes, the one called who desires to be called loopy.

There's an extra called in there.

though it rarely take place at night.

Should be takes

Huh. Luna is pursuing Twilight's mother's hive? :twilightoops:

4178648
Uhh, if you mean the lowest three spots on the feature box... those are not the real feature box. They're completely independent from it, in fact. Any fic with a reasonably good rating will appear in there when it updates, only to be pushed further down by any other such fic with reasonably good rating that updates after it.

This pushing down always happens, too, regardless of any difference in rating between the fics. I'm not sure what is needed to qualify, but once a fic has it, it can push any of the Great Ones out of the box just by updating.

Wait, Luna is pursuing Twilight's Mom's herd? Since when? How does that make sense? :derpyderp1:
Otherwise, I'm thankful for the update and looking forward to more worldbuilding.

4195638

I think something was mentioned regarding that topic about 5 to 10 chapters ago. Possibly the interview with Twilight's mother.

4178390
Braenburn doesn't like him (joking) for edging in on his popularity amongst the female persuasion.

Really a great read. I especially liked the interview segments.

I'll go ahead and be that person and voice my high hopes for an update! :)

I eagerly await the next chapter.

I don't know if this is planned already but i had a future chapter idea for this collection.

I always pictured Lero trying to figure out, and picking Twilights brain about the differences between earth and equestrian pronouns. On earth, where there's only one intelligent species, the pronouns are inclusive eg 'everybody'. whereas in equestria, where there are multiple intelligent species, their pronouns are exclusive eg 'everypony'

I have to wonder what Spike, Lero and Zecora feel when they're in a crowd of ponies and its addressed as 'everypony' and how this speciest turn of phrase came about.

I really like this 'verse because it imagines this world so complexly and it's very interesting. I'd love to hear the authors take on this.

When is this going to update?

6114101 A reply after 11 weeks. :pinkiegasp:

Also... *Clears throat*

6114138 On a side note, more phantom! Thank you, that is all.

6115042 Working on it. Editors are busy with one chapter at the moment. Just waiting for Vates to finish.

4195638 Her mom hinted at it in her own interview, a couple chapters back.

I can only hope for more updates one day. I just found this storyverse and it's wonderful. Thx.

TS: Oh. Yeah, I thought about legal training once. It didn't appeal.

Lol

I know it says it's cancelled but I still hope the author finds some time to come back to it and gives us all more of this wonderful story to read.

9788802
It’s a great feeling isn’t it.

9821993
I never said that it suprises me that it happens - it happens plenty enough in our world, too. I get that it's a thing, and perhaps as a sort of 'weak defense', ponies seem to hold fairly specieist and racist beliefs mainly because they run deep. I just don't understand how a being intelligent enough to discern this truth - doesn't, somehow. But then again, I suppose it requires active thought to detect and remove such useless convictions.

Not sure why this is "cancelled"... given its nature, you might just as well remove the "first" from the last chapter's title and mark it "Complete".

9969367
I could, but I'd know it was a lie.

Nth re-read. Still awesome. The level of detail you've created here is absolutely amazing. After all these years, I still want to dump Star Sparkle in a vat of something nasty and leave her there.

I do have one regret about this story not continuing. We never get to hear from Lero. I can only imagine that Twilight would have asked Lero write at least one chapter about things from HIS point of view. Most probably as some type of final chapter or afterword. If the whole thing was intended to be a kind of mirror held up for ponies to ponder their own culture and society I can't see her passing up the opportunity to have the *one* alien on the planet offer his thoughts on the whole thing. Granted they would be colored by his own culture and society, but they would still be that of an *outsider* which can still offer insights into the purpose of the book.

Ah, well. Maybe one day, but I shall not hope, but rather be pleasantly surprised should I receive notifications in my inbox of some future new chapter.

10521566
Wouldn't that be fun? Alas, I am lazy.

However, I have been enjoying your comments here and there. It's been a nice reminder of simpler days. :)

10521608
You're quite welcome.

I've always liked all the different angles and stories within the Leroverse, it's a shame that no one seems to add to it any more. Meh, what can you do but enjoy what is.

Login or register to comment