• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 18,923 Views, 1,460 Comments

The Xenophile's Guide to Equestria - archonix



A chronicle of Twilight Sparkle's life with the human Lero and his herd. Based on Xenophilia.

  • ...
67
 1,460
 18,923

Lyra Heartstrings journal excerpts

Lyra Hearstrings journal excerpts

26 08 1215

The first thing that Pleasant Posture said was that we who stand must always fall.

The second thing that Pleasant Posture said was that we who fall must always stand.

I have fallen. I have yet to stand.

My first weeks in the company of this human have been fascinating, yet terrifying. By day he stalks the streets of this town with predatory intent, seeking out the 'prey' that is each point of his occupation with a single-minded focus that I have rarely seen outside of a military context.

By night... well. It is not always unpleasant to be hunted.

I have learned so much more of him. With his hands he can crush and rend, or comfort and care. With his arms he can embrace, or entangle. He sees far beyond anything that I can comprehend, with a clarity that drives me to awe and envy both at once. Where I see but an empty and blank horizon, he can pinpoint individual ponies going about their business. When he is seeking for it he will start at the slightest motion, turning to it with a frantic grace that belies the sheer power he possesses. Yet he can lie still as stone, and hide from me in plain sight.

He terrifies me. He enraptures me.

In another world he would have been mine. Mine to share, or to keep, but mine. In this world I hesitated, but I am lucky to share him with these two, who I could love even without him who brought us together.


28 08 1215

Twilight has asked that I keep a journal for a project she is working on. Lucky for her I had just started this new one.

I had a peek at Rainbow's diary while she wasn't looking. She didn't even mention that I joined the herd, despite the fact that she was asked to start hers around the same time I was invited to join with them. I shall choose to view as a good thing; we are close enough already that it is not important to make a fuss over the change. The greatest moments in life are those that are held within.


30 08 1215

L is mine.

No dear diary, I haven't dispatched my new loves and claimed him as my own, tempting as the thought may be. We are in Las Pegasus, which has given me the opportunity to spend a little time alone with our 'stallion'.

He is uniquely attentive in my experience. He is not, however, all that comfortable being away from the company of RD, especially as much of our time is spent above the ground. Las Pegasus is unique as a city of both Earth Ponies and Pegasi, a place of soaring towers and billowing clouds, both to which I am fortunately well-accustomed. Even with obvious prior experience of the cloud-walking spell I daily cast upon him, I can see that L fears the heights without RD to assure him. He needn't worry.

Our suite overlooks the sea. I have not visited the sea for many years.


03 09 1215

Based on what RD told me I had expected to have little time for exploration. Perhaps feared would be a better term. I am not driven by a need for quantity as she, and as a result I suspect I may have frustrated dear L, who appears to have taken quite readily to the idea of frequent mating.

I was able to sneak in a little sight-seeing nevertheless. Las Pegasus offers a great deal of entertainment, from shops to theatre, and I made myself known to the local chapter out of professional courtesy, gaining myself an invitation to speak at their next convention. It was at the dojo that I also met a trio of stallions who claimed to be the first mareless herd in history. I confess some scepticism that they will remain so, but I can hardly criticise their decision to try.

We are travelling home as I write, on an express that should have us there by the afternoon. L has fallen asleep, much to the relief of those sharing our carriage - they are almost universally afraid of him, few having met anything more threatening than a cat in all their lives. Perhaps my time in Ponyville has inured me to the idea of living in such a dangerous environment, and to the fact that much of the country is safe as a summer meadow; I forget that most ponies do not truly know what it means to experience the strange and the foreign. Should I be glad for them that live in such safety and comfort? I am unsure.


05 09 1215

T approached me this morning as I returned from my meditation, and broached the subject of introducing a second stallion to the herd. I suspect the idea was introduced to her a few days prior, and that she has been mulling it in the back of her mind.

I later discovered that RD had asked her about it. Together we have decided that we don't want another male around just yet, though each of us has our own reasons. T was naturally inclined to consider idealised concepts and ratios. RD, I believe, is quickly losing interest in ponies completely and I would be unsurprised if she one day brought home a Griffon, or perhaps one of the more civilised Diamond Dogs - I understand they can be extremely loyal.

Myself? It is too soon. Perhaps in a few years, when we are more settled, I will mention the idea again.


17 09 1215

this page was erased and mostly torn away


18 09 1215

It can be difficult to face old fears. However, I have learned that RD can maintain an impressive poker face. Considering what was happening in the next room that night, her self-control was admirable.

I have been asked to accompany T to Beds and Knockers later. I am fairly sure we don't need a new doorbell, but I dread to ask what exactly happened to require a new bed.


09 11 1215

I now understand a great deal more about T.

I have met her mother. A singularly reprehensible individual concerned only with the satiation of her own desires. Though it pains me to admit it, I was unable to find a single redeeming quality to her personality. I am reminded of my early education, specifically of a number of virtuoso performers who thought themselves so superior to the rest of us, and who consequently made no effort to even tolerate we plebeian sorts.

Yet she, unlike they, appreciates talent. It was my displeasure to spend a few hours 'entertaining' her as we waited for the others to return from their various occupations, during which she confided in me that, while she was always disappointed that T didn't follow her into the study of the past, she was nevertheless impressed with the breadth of T's knowledge and ability.

Of course this was phrased rather differently, mostly in terms of insults toward Princess Celestia, the education system, government, parliament and various noble houses. It may merely be that I am attempting to find a positive trait where none exists.

Even so, they share some commonality. She is certainly intelligent, though perhaps cunning would better describe her. She is adept with her magic, and when certain subjects are broached she is transformed entirely, and I can see the same curiosity and passion that drives T when she is in the midst of some grand new discovery. Of course the moment passes with the next swallow of her drink, and she returns to a generalised harangue about the way her university is run or how unfair the world has been toward her.

Three times she showed some emotion other than disdain. First, when she spoke of her stallion Lucent, with whom she is enamoured as a filly. Second, when she spoke of Twilight Velvet, toward whom she seems particularly spiteful, but also regretful. And finally of her sister, who she mentioned but once and then refused to speak of again.

I suspect I shall meet these other ponies before long. Perhaps T and her science are rubbing off on me, but I would particularly like to meet the mare that raised T for comparison with her birth mother. Are we defined by nature or nurture?

I do wish she would stop calling me 'Loopy'.


11 11 1215

Spent an interesting day with T at the copse. Didn't get much meditation done - for some reason. Chalking that one up to the unusually warm day, for which I suspect I have to thank RD. It is a pity I can't thank her the way I wish, but perhaps a nice bunch of flowers instead.

Later, T mentioned in passing the idea of marriage. I assumed she meant between L and RD, but she clarified with some hesitation that she meant all of us. Not entirely sure she's thought this one through. A whole herd joining in this way is simply unheard of.

And yet I cannot see any reason to object. It seems that I am bound to them. My lovers. My companions. My friends.

I could want for nothing more than these.

Of course I'll say yes.