• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 18,927 Views, 1,460 Comments

The Xenophile's Guide to Equestria - archonix



A chronicle of Twilight Sparkle's life with the human Lero and his herd. Based on Xenophilia.

  • ...
67
 1,460
 18,927

The Herd (Mediation of Conflict)

The Herd (Mediation of Conflict)

This particular text was originally conceived as an introductory exploration of the protective instinct of mares toward their stallions in order to provide some understanding of the basic foundations of much of Equestrian society. The chapter originally dealt with comparisons between inter- and intra-herd aggression, tribe-scale aggression and the necessity of protecting sparse male populations in a dangerous and volatile environment. It was, as with many of these works, inspired by a conversation with Lero on the subject of differences between his instinctive behaviours and those of ponies.

Following the events highlighted in the preceding transcript and excerpts from Rainbow Dash’s diaries, the focus of this chapter changed dramatically. It has been split into two sections: the first ‘setting the stage’ as it were, by studying an outsider’s introduction to mediating conflict within a herd; and the second exploring the dynamics of the herd on a number of different social contexts.

At this point I’m breaking the first rule of academic writing to speak directly to you, the reader. My experience on that day was a true revelation of how incredibly different Lero really is. I had yet to appreciate or understand his motivations on more than a superficial level. Likewise, as he shall explain within this chapter, Lero also did not understand the dynamics of a herd as well as he had previously thought. In retrospect we found the experience both challenging and revealing of our own natures.

The following is a record of our thoughts as we tried to come to terms with what we experienced that day, written a few days later.

I’d like to thank Lero for allowing it to be published here.


Isolation. That’s what I felt, the day you left with the others. I realise I was working and you believed that you were giving me space. Taking Lyra out on her day off was a kindness, but I felt isolated all the same.

I never knew. I’m not an observant man at the best of times, I just assumed you wanted to be left in peace to work on your writing, and I didn’t want to be a burden.

We’re peaceful together, you and I. And, as you’re so fond of pointing out, I could lift this house with just a thought. In comparison you’re not a burden at all.

I was scared of isolation. You and Rainbow, you’re as close as a horn to a head. The thought that you would allow me into that relationship, to share what you had, was thrilling, but I was afraid.

We share everything with you. What could you be afraid of?

Breaking it. Breaking you or myself, or the bond you shared. I always feared I was the third setting, or the interloper. I’ve never loved anyone like I loved you, but I knew you were culturally inclined to monogamy and I was scared you included me only to try and fit in.

I wish you’d told me. I’ve changed here. You changed me, Rainbow changed me. I do and see things I never dreamed of and you showed me a world I could never have imagined. All of you. You seemed so happy when we were together, and when you began working on your book you seemed even happier than I’d ever seen you. I had no idea you were afraid.

I know. You don’t think like we do, I know that now. I thought I knew it then. I thought you knew that you were isolating me from the rest of the herd and I thought you knew that you were sending me that signal, that you didn’t want me around you any more. Each time it happened I should have asked.

Don’t blame yourself. I should have known too. You’re as special to me as Dash or Lyra. You were the first to care for me even if she was the first to love me.

I wanted to help. Even in my own culture it’s a bad idea for a man to get involved in a fight between his female friends, but I thought you were going to hurt Rainbow.

I was. A little. It wasn’t a rational thought, it was my fear again. For all I knew you’d put her up to it. That bond again, and she’s your lead mare. I know it’s old-fashioned to think that way but time and biology made it so.

We’re a physical species. You’ve always been touch-shy but we’re not. We’re physical in friendship and in anger.

I keep coming back to the fact that you took her side. It hurt me more than anything she would have done to me

I wanted to protect you both. I never meant to hurt you, any more than I wanted Rainbow to get hurt.

A stallion is meant to be a mediator. Remember the mathematics. You stay safe, we fight. When members of a herd fight one another you’re meant to bring us together, to remind us of the friendship and love that binds us, and to heal any rift that forms. If you take a side it means that the bond is broken in some way.

So I just stand back and let you fight?

No. You stand between us. Take the attention on yourself. I was angry and irrational, Rainbow was angry and irrational. As a herd, you’re the core of our relationship with one another. We need you to become our focus so we remember who we are.

Maybe you don’t realise how much that idea scares me. You’re placing a lot of responsibility on my shoulders. I can’t be there every time one of you gets annoyed at the others and even when I am, my natural inclination is to intervene.

And you took her side.

I won’t always take her side. If it looks like I do it’s because Rainbow doesn’t know how to take her own side most of the time. She’ll say something that rubs people— ponies the wrong way and then that bull-headed streak just comes right out and she’ll refuse to back down, even when she’s wrong. When that happens do you see anyone that doesn’t get annoyed at her? I’m the only one. If I didn’t take her side she’d end up feeling abandoned and isolated, just like you did.

I never saw it like that. But she’s not isolated, she has her friends, we’re always there for her.

She thought she was, that’s what matters. Remember how you felt? We were there for you but you thought you were being isolated. I don’t want either of you to feel that way again.

We won’t, if you stand between us. If you want to intervene, you have to do it in a way that doesn’t favour any of us. That means you have to take advantage of the natural instinct of a herd to protect their stallion. We’ll never hurt you, if that’s what you’re afraid of. All you have to do is stand in our way.

Stand in the way of that spiky decoration? You’re asking me to trust you to be rational when you’re not rational, Twilight.

Whoever said anything about being rational? We’re discussing instinctive behaviour, much as it may pain me to admit that anything could ever be more powerful than intellect. If I think you’re being threatened I react to that. If I think I’m threatening you...

How can I trust that?

A test. A less volatile situation. If you see us disagree, just stand between us. I imagine you’ll find our reaction educational.


Trust Test

Date: 1215/21/09

Time: 11:30am

(recording begins)


BELEROPHON MICHAELIDES: Okay, September twenty first, Equestrian year one thousand two hundred and fifteen. Huh. Okay. I wanted this recorded because- because- I don’t know why I wanted this recorded.

TWILIGHT SPARKLE: (laughter)

LYRA HEARTSTRINGS: In case we accidentally skewer you and have to explain to the guard. Don’t worry. I’ve already got the paperwork filled out. You fell down the stairs. See?

(rustling paper)

BM: I landed on an ice-cream cone?

LH: Someone must have dropped it. How terribly careless.

TS: It’s Rainbow Dash, she’s the killer!

RAINBOW DASH: Oh sure, blame the only pony in the room without any sharp spiky bits. If I kill Lero, it’ll be in the bedroom, and it’ll be the most awesome way to go ever.

LH: Sounds fun, when do we start?

BM: Why do I put up with you three again?

RD: Because we’re hot stuff, big guy.

TS: I can seal the doors with my mind.

LH: And I have the cuffs.

BM: This is like a bad monty python skit.

TS: Why would you call a s-snake Monty?

BM: It- no, never mind.

RD: Great, now we’ve got all that stuff out of the way (pause) what the hay is going on?

LH: A trust exercise.

RD: A what?

TS: We’re trying to demonstrate to Lero how to mediate a conflict between us without taking sides.

RD: (pause) Sounds kinda- wait, you- you want to get into another fight?

TS: No! I just wanted to try and generate a situation where we had a minor disagreement and then Lero could learn how his actions can defuse that. He needs to see how we react to him.

LH: His role is to be our anchor.

TS: He-

BM: What Twilight’s trying to say is, I worry if I get in between you guys when you’re fighting, you’ll break me.

RD: No way! Never!

TS: It’s a valid fear, Rainbow. We’re all physically a lot stronger than he is. Even me.

RD: Wait, you think I’d want to hurt him?

TS: I didn’t say that! Why would I say that?

RD: I dunno, it just sounds like you want to start an argument.

TS: Not exactly. The plan was that Lyra and I would, uh, talk about something a little controversial and then he’d-

RD: Oh so now I’m not good enough for your egghead stuff?

TS: You’re taking this kind of personally, you know.

RD: I’m not the one who wanted to start a fight for some crazy science experiment.

TS: Okay, maybe you’re pushing this just a little too far, Rain-

RD: Says miss whips’n’irons?

TS: Rainbow Dash, stop this! That’s not fair and you know it!

RD: I didn’t start this!

BM: O-okay, that’s-

(footsteps)

BM: That’s enough, you’re both taking this way further- (pause) And now you’re both staring at me. That’s creepy.

TS: Oh, um, sorry.

BM: (inaudible) really worked?

TS: Yeah. Uh. Yeah it- it’s a natural side-effect of placing yourself right at the centre of our attention. Uh, see how we’re both displaying a slightly, um, submissive posture?

BM: Your heads keep ducking and your ears-

RD: What did you expect, that we’d fall over with cute grins on our faces?

BM: Well, no, but I never thought I’d see you do this either, Dash.

RD: Don’t get used to it.

TS: What you’re seeing is our bodies are trying to show that we’re not a threat to one another. It’s a subconscious reaction to the fact that you don’t want us to fight, and we don’t really want to fight either.

BM: Okay.

TS: When you place yourself in the way of our fight our bodies immediately release large quantities of hormonal neuropeptides that suppress our aggression and encourage more bonding behaviour. The combined effect-

RD: Turns you into even more of a walking encyclopaedia, we get it.

BM: Dash, be nice.

TS: Well I’m feeling very mellow right now, so, Rainbow, I’m sorry I blew up at you like that.

RD: Yeah, yeah, me too. Kinda went over the top. You didn’t deserve that.

TS: I do wonder what brought it on though.

LH: Um, I kind of put her up to it.

TS: (pause) What?

LH: Sorry.

TS: Why would you-

LH: Because you and I have nothing to fight about, which means we wouldn’t believe we were fighting-

TS: Okay, but-

LH: -and we didn’t believe we were fighting, Lero wouldn’t have believed it either and the effect would have been lost.

TS: I guess that makes sense. But-

LH: Yeah, I know, it- I didn’t think she’d get quite that personal about it.

TS: That sort of stung, I have to admit.

RD: Twilight, I’m really sorry!

TS: No. No it’s okay. The point was teaching Lero how to stop that sort of thing and he did it really well. (pause) Really, really well.

BM: Flatterer.

TS: In fact, I think this is one for the letters! Rainbow, you want to come and help me write it?

RD: I (pause) guess? Is this really something we should tell the Princesses about?

TS: Sure! It’s not like we’re telling her anything private. Come on, it’ll be fun!

RD: Twilight, your idea of fun (inaudible)

TS: (inaudible)

BM: That was, uh, weird.

LH: They’re both very passionate and they both have very strong feelings for you.

BM: Yeah, well, I guess it wasn’t what I expected.

LH: Such things rarely are. Lero, a question.

BM: Yeah?

LH: Whips and irons?

BM: Ah, now there’s a little bit of a story behind that. Have you ever read a book called Silverwing, Lyra?

LH: No, but I have a feeling I’ll be remedying that soon.

(recording ends)