• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 18,930 Views, 1,460 Comments

The Xenophile's Guide to Equestria - archonix



A chronicle of Twilight Sparkle's life with the human Lero and his herd. Based on Xenophilia.

  • ...
67
 1,460
 18,930

Selected Correspondence between Twilight Sparkle, Lady Star Sparkle and HRH Celestia

Selected Correspondence between Twilight Sparkle, Star Sparkle and HRH Princess Celestia

All letters are printed with permission. With thanks to the Canterlot National Archive for portions of this text.

Dearest Twilight,

You haven’t written for a little while. As I’ve yet to hear of any disastrous magical phenomena or overly melodramatic revelations concerning Ponyville, I have to assume that you’ve found something to entertain your prodigious mind? I look forward to the outcome.

Princess Celestia


Dear Princess Celestia,

I’m ashamed to say I’ve been a little remiss in my studies recently. Very little is happening at the moment here, we all seem to have settled into a nice routine again, so I’ve taken the opportunity to do some background research for a paper I’m considering on the social effects of interspecies relationships. Unfortunately that’s not left much time to, you know, write letters, though it has given me the opportunity to work on the anxiety management exercises you and Luna showed me.

Other than that... Rainbow and Lero seem to be getting on extremely well. I’ve never seen Rainbow groundside as much as the last few weeks. Lero seems to have adapted to the relationship with surprising ease. It’s nice to see Rainbow happy like this, actually sharing herself with somepony instead of just showing off to them.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle


Dearest Twilight,

I would be interested to learn more of this paper. Having read your previous work I’m sure it will be well-regarded by the appropriate journals and it’s an interesting topic, on which you will have extensive experience, I’m sure. However, please don’t be tempted to rely on a single data-point; you must be sure to examine the concept from every possible perspective. I’m sending you a few books on the subject that I don’t think your library has. You may recognise the author of some of them.

As for Lero and Rainbow, I take it they’re still keeping their relationship secret? It must be hard to hide something like that by now.

Princess Celestia

P.S. While I remember, the Dean of Canterlot University has been pestering me about offering you a position. Of course I’m sure you’d be completely uninterested in a research fellowship at the Principality’s most prestigious university so I told him to go away.


Dear Princess Celestia,

I hope you didn’t tell him that! Of course I’d accept an offer - if it was suitable to my research and didn’t interfere with my studies here!

You didn’t really tell him that, right?

Oh the books arrived! I already have a copy of Hearts, Hooves and the Hindi but it was a personal copy that I’d kept in the reference section for completeness sake. These are going to be so useful! I can already see the direction this paper might take.

Rainbow and Lero are still keeping their relationship secret. It’s not like anypony who spent more than a few minutes with them couldn’t work it out but I guess, if that’s what they want, who am I to argue? They didn’t exactly pursue a traditional courting to begin with, from what I understand.

On that note, another reason I’d not been writing is that I’ve had something I wished to discuss, but it’s a little personal and I honestly didn’t know how to bring it up. I thought at first I should talk to my mother about it, but I’m not sure how she’d react. I’m worried I might alienate her. Is that wrong?

Twilight


Twilight,

I know what you’re going to ask and, to be frank, I’ve expected this for some time. No, it’s not wrong to be nervous. Yes, you should speak to your mother.

It’s a big step, for you especially. My enormous palace door is always open if you want to talk.

Celestia


Dear mother

Mom,

I know I’ve not written for a while. I think my last letter was probably around the time those little parasprite critters tore up Ponyville. I’ve seen you since then anyway so it’s probably not important, but I guess I should have written.

How’s dad?

Actually I can probably guess, up to his eyeballs in another astronomical conundrum, or some new discovery.

I suppose

Mom I’m no good at this small talk. I wrote to you because I have something to ask and I didn’t want to seem like it was just coming out of the blue, but you’d see that anyway. You always can.

I’ll be brief. I’ve met someone and I’m thinking about courting them, but I’m not sure how to go about it.

In love,

Twilight


Twilight,

I was so very sure we’d had this talk before you went to Celestia’s School. In fact I distinctly recall spending the day with that rather nice herd when I came to visit, so you can hardly be a stranger to courting.

Now lets see. You’ve met somepony... but oh my, oh gasp and horror, you’ve met someone. How eccentric you youngsters are! I can’t wait to tell the other girls, they’ll be absolutely thrilled at the thought.

I know it can’t be that cute little dragon you have with you, he’s far too young and really not your type, so who can it be?

Not that I don’t have my suspicions!

Your loving mother,

Star

P.S. Your father is absolutely fine and certainly hasn’t decided to invade the palace to complain about Princess Luna meddling with ‘his’ stars.


Mother,

Now I remember why I stopped writing. Did you ever take anything I say seriously?

His name is Lero, which I’m sure you already knew if you’ve been reading the newspapers, and he’s currently herding with a friend of mine, Rainbow Dash. After my last letter I managed to pluck up the courage to speak to Dash, since she’s the lead of his herd. Well, she’s the only mare in his herd, so that sort of makes her the lead by default. She said she’d talk to him.

I guess I’m committed. Or maybe I should be.

Twilight


Dearest Twilight,

At my age, with my work, and my experience, I feel I’m entitled to take a lax view of the world now and then, don’t you think?

But of course I take what you say seriously! You are my youngest and most precious child, after all. I would never joke about anything if I thought you wouldn’t be able to see the humour in it too.

Now as for this herd you’re chasing? I believe I recall Rainbow Dash from the wedding. Rather brash pegasus, with a lightning bolt on her deliciously tight flank? She reminds me of a zebra I used to spend time with when I was a student. Libonetse was always trying to prove she was a better- but that was a long, long time ago and you aren’t interested in your mother’s intellectual conquests, I’m sure.

Tell me about this young... ‘man’, is it? Perhaps I can give you some pointers. After all I am the expert on non-equine cultures in the family. If not I, then one of my colleagues at the University will certainly have some insight.

Star


Mother,

You are incorrigible.

If you must know, Rainbow and Lero have chosen to keep their relationship a secret for now. They’ve not been particularly traditional about it either, from what I understand, though given Rainbow’s complete lack of interest in mares I probably shouldn’t be surprised at anything their relationship throws up.

Lero is unusual, that would be the best way to put it, I think. Obviously there are the physical differences, but his mind is so very different as well. He’s intellectual and curious and he read all the books I gave him like he couldn’t live without them.

Bipedal you obviously know (how he balances without a tail is something I’ve never been able to work out but I have a hypothesis I’d like to test some day). His species is apparently patriarchal, which probably explains some of his behaviour in general, and he’s an omnivore. Other than that I’m not sure what to think about him.

If I assume a model based on the great apes, he’s likely to want to form a troupe with several beta males for foraging and a large number of females for, well, mating I suppose. I’d have to take some time thinking about how that sort of behaviour would be modified by sapience and culture. I don’t even know where to begin.

He doesn’t seem to act like an ape, though, even if he does somewhat resemble one. I suppose I could ask Rainbow, but I’m not sure she’d be able to give me the sort of answers I’m after. In fact I’m not sure what kind of answer I would get at all.

There has to be a solution.

Twilight


Twilight,

Unless he is hanging from a tree and throwing his poop at you, do not use those creatures as a model! In fact, stop talking about models completely. He’s a sapient being, not a science project.

I’ll send you some books on the subject of interspecies courting if that’s what it will take to calm you down. Please please please just for once do not do anything silly.

Star


Mother

Oh you just gave me a wonderful idea! Princess Celestia sent me some books on that very subject recently, I think one was even written by one of your colleagues. Perhaps I can find something in there!

Twilight


Twilight,

I believe I know the book you’re thinking of. Doctor Aegidienberger is a fine scholar with a keen interest in interspecies relations, but her experience on this subject is not nearly as extensive as my own and that particular work lacks the deep historical knowledge necessary to fully appreciate some of the more subtle behaviours of other species. I doubt you’ll find anything directly useful in there, though I suppose it can be good background material for a broader general understanding of the subject.

Please don’t do anything rash, Twilight. I know you’re excited and this is all very novel for you, but I also know you have a tendency to mimic your father’s more, shall we say, ‘fanciful behaviours’ when you’re excited, and I’d rather not have to deal with a repeat of the telescope incident.

Your loving mother,

Star


Mother,

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, my date’s in half an hour and I’ve been tied up for most of the day constructing a hypothetical model of Lero’s social structure based on my research. I just wanted to let you know that I love you and you’ve been a great help!

Oh I’m nervous as a little filly! Wish me luck! Of course by the time you get this the date will probably be over and I’ll be back home celebrating my success. But wish me luck anyway!

Twilight


Twilight,

Again with the models! I am going to have severe words with that tutor of yours if this is how you go through life. She’s a princess for Iovi’s sake, she should know better! I just hope you didn’t do something silly like try to construct an analogue of his society by mixing up a pastiche from the descriptions in Aggie’s book.

Star