• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 5,744 Views, 166 Comments

The Rat Assassin - Corvo



A supernatural assassin attempting to save his would be daughter is thrust into Equestria by a mad god. On top of that he now has a bounty on his head.

  • ...
14
 166
 5,744

The Great Escape (Part 1)

The Great Escape

Pinkie smiled. “The doctor said I should be back in shape soon, they need to do one more surgery to pull out the last of the metal, and then we can go have doughnuts!”

Spike excitedly cheered “Yeah!” while Twilight and the girls giggled at the two’s antics.

Rarity looked from the pair of smiling friends to Twilight. “Those two are like foals sometimes, but it’s so cute to watch them talk like that. Don’t you think darling?” Rarity turned to look at her companion, who was detachedly looking at the ground. “Twilight? Dear, what’s wrong?”

The lavender unicorn snapped out of her trance. “Wha- Oh! It’s just I was thinking about...”

“About what?”

“The creature.”

Rarity’s smile slid off her face. The creature, the creature, the creature. That was all anypony could think of these days. If it wasn’t about the creature itself, it was about containing it and if it wasn’t about that it was about why it had done what it had.

“Twilight, I know this sounds odd coming from me, but I must say it. You shouldn’t focus on one thing too much. It’s... unhealthy.”

The unicorn turned to her friend with a sigh. “Can I tell you something?”

“Of course.”

“Rarity, I’m afraid. Look at what that... that thing did to Pinkie. Do you think that it’s a good idea letting it...you know, live?”

The white mare looked at Twilight, then to Pinkie and Spike, who were now arguing about frogs or toads. Turning her vision back to her friend she shook her head. “I told you it’s unhealthy to dwell on these things... I can’t say I know for sure, darling, but one thing is certain. If that brute wants to harm ponies, then the only place it belongs is in the Everfree Forest.”

Slowly, Twilight nodded. She wasn’t satisfied with that answer, but it was probably the most she would be getting right now.

‘But the princess said she talked to it... does she know anything?’

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Celestia slowly trotted down the crystal halls carrying with her a rucksack. She needed answers. Walking up to the cell, she looked around. The guards were gone. Turning her attention to the inside of the cell she saw that Corvo was also absent.

“Corvo? Hello?”

Then, she heard footsteps echoing throughout the caverns. Turning around, she saw her two guards knocked out on the floor. Leaning up against a wall, a guard’s helm in one hand and a short sword in the other, was Corvo.

“You forgot to lock the door, Princess... ” He said in a slightly amused tone of voice.

She looked from the guards to the assassin. “What have you done to them?”, she said, her voice hollow with a hint of anger.

“Nothing. I just gave them a light pat on the head.”

Corvo stood up straight and dropped the guard’s helmet. The metal clattered to the floor. He did the same with the short sword. The sharp noise made the princess of the sun flinch. “I thought we were on the same side?”

Corvo slowly nodded. “Yes... for now, I suppose we are.”

‘For now? In the name of Luna. Why did I keep that door unlocked?’

Corvo strode up to the princess, “I gained a considerable amount of memory back over the course of the night.”

Celestia nodded. She had regained her composure during Corvo’s little performance and, at this point, she felt it was necessary to be ready for anything. With that in mind, the princess slowly began charging her horn with energy. ‘Nothing fancy,’ she thought ‘Corvo steps an inch out of line, he gets frozen in a block of ice colder than Discord’s heart.’

Corvo watched in amusement as Celestia stated at him. “Let’s take a walk. Shall we?”

‘A walk? This is absurd, friendly with him or not, he is still a prisoner!’

Although she thought this, Celestia made no move to stop Corvo as he slowly began walking down the hall.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

‘This is very bad! I wasn’t planning on being out of the cell when she came back! I overshot! Damn it!’

Corvo continued walking along the crystal hallway, taking care to seem calm. Thinking back, he wondered what went wrong.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It was time to set up the second half of his plan.

Slowly, Corvo stood up and walked to the door of his cell. Looking around, he saw the two guards watching over his cell.

‘No killing. Bodies are suspicious.’

Charging up a bit of power in his hand, he walked to the back of his cell. He then let loose the possession spell.

The bolt made contact with one of the guards, and with a feeling like being plunged through cold water, he saw everything from the guard's point of view.

‘Perfect.’

Turning, he walked towards the pony on the other side of the cell.

“What are yo-”

The colt was cut off as Corvo’s hooves pounded on his helm. With a sharp ring, the pony fell over. The guard was unconscious before he even hit the ground.

Corvo dropped the possession, and before his target could reorient himself, performed a blood choke.

As the pony fell limp, Corvo sighed out in relief. Then, getting back to work, he looked up and he saw the carved out support structures had what looked to be wooden cross beams supporting them.

His face took on a look of glee. Picking up both guard ponies, he charged up his blink spell. Looking up, he launched the teleport power and, after a short moment of looking at nothing, reappeared on the rafters. He set both ponies down, and looked towards the ground.

‘Empty? That can’t be it.’

Shaking his head, the assassin shrugged and dropped down, rolling out of the short drop. Getting to his feet, he sprinted down the hall; he needed to be quick, lest the guards wake up and notice his absence.

Corvo rounded a corner and looked down the hall. At the end there was an intersection. Stopping for a moment he caught his breath.

He began running down the hall full pelt and, as he reached the end of the intersection, he charged another teleport spell and jumped into the air towards a wall. As he sailed through the air, he leaned back and angled his feet with the wall.

They landed with a dull thunk. Turning his attention upwards, he pushed off hard. Much like the time he had flown through the air, he let loose the charged teleport spell and blinked up to the rafters.

Though the acrobatic display wasn’t necessary, and it actually pained his still recovering side to put on such a show, Corvo felt great satisfaction in performing it. The ex-protector hadn't done any physical activities lately and it felt good to be able to move, jump, and run again.

He looked down all four halls for a brief second.

‘Nothing.’

Corvo selected a random direction and jumped to the next rafter. He continued traveling like this, jumping from rafter to rafter, blinking on occasion.

He continued his high profile movement till he heard voices.

“What do you think it is?”

The first voice was rough, clearly masculine.

“No idea, they just said that they were guarding something dangerous.”

The second voice was slightly higher in pitch, but there was no question that it too belonged to a male.

Quietly, Corvo made his way over to the side of the beam and looked around the corner. There, just down the hall in their gleaming golden armour, were two royal guards.

Taking a deep breath, Corvo charged some energy in his hands.

‘No kills, no alerts.... No problem.’

Releasing the energy, he felt the familiar tug in his stomach when he blinked onto the truss supporting the ceiling.

He began building energy in his hand again, just as he had planned until...

“What’s that light?”

Corvo looked around, then remembered; his mark was glowing!

‘Damn!’

Corvo released the power, and it left his hand in a wave. Everything the wave hit slowed down, from the dust in the air to the guards themselves. Everything except for Corvo.

Jumping down behind the guards, the assassin ran up and delivered a solid kick to one of their heads. Then, grabbing the other guard's helmet, he smashed it down on his head. Whirling around, he spotted the second, helmless pony, charging him in slow motion.

Laughing, Corvo sprinted at the charging stallion and delivered a quick blow to his throat with the palm of his hand. Then, grabbing the pony’s mane, he brought his knee up, and his victim's face down. The two made contact with a sickening crunch.

Corvo counted down the time.

“Three seconds left!” he whispered to himself.

Turning on his heel again, he charged up his blink power and teleported to the first stallion.

‘One and a half.’

Picking up the unconscious body, he teleported back up to the cross beams of the crystal prison.

He quickly placed them on the beam as he felt the recoil wave of time speeding back up.

Looking down at his victims he chuckled as one of them stared in horror. Corvo could understand the terror he was feeling. A rumored creature, who from their point of view apparently had super speed, just attacked and beat them in the span of about twelve seconds.

“Sorry.” he muttered to the guard. “I didn’t want to have to hit you more than once. Seems like your skull is a bit thicker than I thought.”

He delivered a quick blow to the battered guard’s neck, and the pony fell unconscious.

Corvo turned down the hall and felt the wave of fatigue that came with using bend time. The power paused or slowed down everything except the ex-protector, meaning that rather than growing gradually tired when moving and fighting, he felt his energy leave him in large waves.

‘I need to hurry up.’

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Corvo peeked around the corner and spotted a door, he took a breath to see if he could prepare himself for what may to come.

‘Hopefully, there won’t be any unwanted surprises.’

Creeping down the hall, he finally reached it. Attempting to turn the knob, he groaned in frustration. The door was locked.

‘I can’t believe I didn’t plan for this! How could I have been so oblivious?’

Sighing, Corvo turned around and stalked down the hall. Charging up energy in his hand. “Fine.” he whispered. “I can’t walk out, I’ll blast my way out.”

He raised his hand, mark alight, and focused. Swinging his arm in a hard ark, he blasted away the door with just enough energy to leave the thing intact but knock it off its hinges. The assassin strolled back down the hall, and smirked at his handy work.

Picking up the broken door, he pushed it back into place and moved the hinges so they would jam together. Once the ex-protector had finished his handy work, the door looked good as new... if new was several thousand years old.

Corvo slowly turned around and took another breather. His side was burning horribly and his breathing was ragged. Moving and fighting had taken a lot out of him due to his injuries.

Sighing, the assassin began walking up the long stair case.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Celestia turned her attention to Corvo, horn still charged with the freezing spell.

‘He seems to know where he is going...’

“Corvo?”

The human turned to look at her, snapped out of the trance he had entered when thinking about who knows what.

“Yes?”

“Where are we going?”

Corvo looked around as he walked, then turned his attention back to Celestia.

“Down a hall, princess.”

The way the man said it was completely serious, as though he meant her to take that answer to heart. Celestia just shook her head at the human’s answer.

She turned her attention down the hall and sighed. “You know, this part of the Castle hasn’t been used by prisoners for a long time. Only guards stay around here.”

Corvo simply nodded.

The sun princess looked the man up and down. He was a mess, and was dressed in mismatched clothing. His feet were covered by what looked to be high end leather boots, but his shirt and pants had been replaced by prison rags, his face had begun growing a beard and his hair was messy. The prison rags were bloody; his wounds had reopened.

“You’re bleeding...”

Corvo turned to her, then looked down at himself. “I am.” He confirmed.

Celestia waited for him to ask for treatment, but he never did, rather he simply turned back around and walked towards an old door.

The princess shook her head, then continued walking down the hall.

When the ex-protector reached the door, rather than going for the knob, as the sun goddess had expected, he simply kicked down the door.

He proceeded up the stairs, harbouring no fear of what may lay above.

Celestia frowned and followed the assassin up the stairs.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The pair reached the top of the stairs, into an open air tower.

‘I remember this place! Luna and I used to raise the sun and moon from here before... ’

Corvo walked out onto the balcony, harbouring no fear of the broken ledge, or lack of guardrails.

The assassin sat down, his feet dangling over the edge of the platform. He gestured for Celestia to join him.
Walking up the princess places the rucksack down, and sat on her haunches.

Corvo sighed. “Where I’m from, the clouds always hang low over the cities. You never get to see the night like this.” He mumbled.

“Why did you bring me here?”

The ex-protector looked at the goddess.

“Why not?”

“You always speak in riddles. Everypony has to think about what you say to make any sense of it.”

“It isn’t worth saying if it isn’t worth thinking about.”

Celestia smiled. “You remind me so much of this one creature I used to know.”

“‘Used to know?’ It died?”

“No. I encased him in stone.”

Corvo turned and gave the mare a surprised look, but did nothing else. Though he had created a nice atmosphere, and even given her a small glimpse into his thoughts, the assassin still would not allow Celestia fully into his mind.

The pair sat in silence for a while more. Then the sun princess, deciding there had been enough formality and beating around the bush, broke the silence. She opened the small bag she had brought with her and pulled out a small locket. Placing it on the floor, she nudged Corvo, who was still staring into the stars.

“Hmm?”

“What is this?” She pointed to the small locket.

Corvo followed her hoof down and saw the small piece of jewelry.

The little color that was in his face drained and he clutched a hand to his chest, as he was looking for something. His eyes widened.

“Where did you get that?” The assassin’s voice was hoarse, as if he were afraid.

“I found it on your body, we needed to remove it to operate on you.”

The man picked up the necklace and clicked a small button on the side. The locket opened up, revealing a picture of what looked to be two human females.

One was tall, she looked to be a young adult, her hair done up in a tight bun, and a small smile on her face. She radiated kindness and seemed very motherly. The other girl seemed to be just a filly. Her hair was down and her mouth was open, as if she was saying something.

“Who are they?” asked Celestia.

Corvo’s attention snapped to her. His fist clamped closed around the locket and he suddenly stood up.

“That’s none of your business.” His voice was low and menacing, as though he were threatening her. “Give me back my things. All of them. I’m leaving.”

Celestia shook her head. “I can’t let you do that. Sorry, Corvo.”

His hand slowly began glowing, and the princess felt a sense of unnatural fear take root in her mind.

The assassin slowly stood up then walked toward her. Corvo his glowing hand on her throat. Squeezing down he whispered in her ear.

“You may have all the power in the world, but if you don’t do what I say, I will end you.”

The ex-protector pulled back, and let go of her neck. “I have killed more people than I can count. I wouldn't lose any sleep adding you to the list. Now, I will say this one more time...”

Celestia charged her freezing spell to full power.

“Give me back my things.”

“No.”

Celestia loosed the freezing bolt of energy at Corvo, but missed the assassin completely. By the looks of it, he had just sprinted across the room at an amazing speed. He began running at Celestia, at a break neck pace. So fast that it seemed impossible, even with magic.

He seized the small bag on Celestia’s side and delivered a blow to her nose with is foot.

The mare had no time to react, as fast as he had come at her, he was at the door.

“Consider this a warning.” he said.

Feeling betrayed and angry, Corvo raised his hand again, mark ablaze, and swung it.

Celestia felt the wall of energy hit her and she gave a shout of surprize, as the power threw her off the edge of the tower...



Note----------------

Yeah I was going to post this on Friday, but well...shit happens.