• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 5,744 Views, 166 Comments

The Rat Assassin - Corvo



A supernatural assassin attempting to save his would be daughter is thrust into Equestria by a mad god. On top of that he now has a bounty on his head.

  • ...
14
 166
 5,744

Dreams, Chaos and Angry gods.

Dreams, Chaos and Angry gods.

Twilight awoke slowly, a sense of dread overtaking her as soon as she gained consciousness. It felt like it was going to be ‘one of those days’. The kind of day where nothing seems to go right. Like that one Tuesday, when she had almost been tardy for one of her friendship reports. Shaking her head, she groggily got to her hooves and took a look around.

“Oh.” Muttered the unicorn. “He’s gone... no wonder this was going to be a bad day.”

Sighing, Twilight thought back to their trip here. Every time she had asked where they were headed, Corvo had floated around the question, never outright answering it. But then again, he only knew about two locations in Equestria, Canterlot and Ponyville. With one option already locked away, the mare decided to head to the only location left.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Corvo stood shrouded in the darkness of an alley. The assassin had, for sometime now, been patiently watching the hustle and bustle of the Ponyville marketplace. Sneaking in had been quite easy. His ability to climb coupled with his supernatural powers ensured his safe passage into the town. He did end up killing a guard that saw him though, but it did little to unnerve the assassin. At this point, he would do anything to be able to save Emily.

‘Damn spy master.’

As he cursed his nemesis’ name he became aware of the empty feeling in his stomach. Sighing, Corvo clutched his tummy.

‘Need food...If only I could stop time and...Wait I can!’

Finally finding a solution to his food conundrum, Corvo quietly made a cheer of triumph. Though it was slightly unlawful, it would be effective.

Raising his hand, Corvo sent energy rippling toward his mark. He then began compressing the energy, preparing to release it. As he charged the spell, he took one last sweep over the stalls, excitement and nervousness ballooning up in his chest.

Deciding on what to eat, the assassin released the spell, and time ground to a halt. Licking his lips behind his expressionless mask, Corvo sprinted up to a stall full of carrots and quickly grabbed one of the large baskets. Turning on his heel, he sprinted towards another vendor’s wares, in order to acquire lettuce. Once he had gotten the plant, he continued down the line, looting stands and grabbing random foodstuffs of their shelves.

‘Seven seconds!’

As time began to pick up, Corvo slipped back into the alleyway, unnoticed by the passer-bys.

Letting out a quiet sigh of relief, Corvo looked down at his stolen salad. Leaning against a wall, Corvo slid down to a sitting position, and slowly began digging his way through the huge basket of food he had ‘borrowed’ from the vendors.

Taking an apple, the assassin removed his mask, and bit into it, savoring the taste. The last time he had eaten anything had been over twenty four hours ago. For most people (or ponies), they would have survived. However, Corvo was a human who could use magic. His body, not being built to handle magic, was worn out a lot more easily than, say, a unicorn.

Ever since the human had gotten his mark, the amount he ate had almost doubled.

After about twenty minutes of doing nothing but gorging himself, Corvo finally sighed and closed his eyes, content and ready to sleep. But before he did, Corvo pulled out the heart, and began examining it. He was still quite curious about what had happened in the Everfree forest. Using it again couldn’t hurt.

‘Well, not too badly anyway...’

Flowing a bit of magic into the heart, he waited for something to happen. When nothing did, the assassin put it away, slightly disappointed at the outcome.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Shining Armor yelped, then tumbled out of bed as his sister’s mind slammed into his. Acting quickly, he lowered his defences to allow her into his thoughts, but not before giving her a bit of scolding for her “unnecessary roughness”.

After exchanging pleasantries at an astonishingly fast rate, Twilight began explaining her situation.

“I woke up and he was just gone! I didn’t expect him to run away, I tried to earn his trust, just like you said but...”

“Twilight, it’s fine. I’ll send a battalion of guards to take a look around. Just stay where you are.”

“All right.”

Shining Armor lessened the intensity of his thoughts, in an attempt to creating an effect similar to lowering his voice. Then he sent a final message. “I’m glad you’re safe...”

Breaking off the connection, the young captain made his way towards Celestia’s chambers.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Outsider stood in an open field. There was nothing but grasslands, the most basic of life starting platforms. He felt the gravity of the world and scanned for other life.

He had been chasing the entity that had been blocking his shrines for what seemed like years. In all honesty though, the Outsider had lost track of time a few days ago. But it was worth it. He had finally cornered the thing that had been causing him so much trouble.

He had chased it to the corner of this mental universe. A place with no escape, where creativity became power. The Outsider had finally been able to seal away himself and this entity, and this was the place where they would resolve the conflict.

Patiently, the god waited for the trapped entity to realize its fate.

Then, finally, it happened.

There was a bright flash, and a sound like thunder as a creature of chaos manifested itself in front of the outsider.

“OH FINE! You’ve got me! Are you happy now?”

The Outsider stared at the beast. A horrid thing of mismatched parts. A pony’s head, a lion’s paw, an eagle’s claw... Had a five year old been appointed to create this creature?

“Hellooo? Anyone home?” The creature clapped its mismatched “hands” to get the Outsider’s attention

The Outsider’s stare intensified, turning into an annoyed glare.

“Your existence saddens me. You are not interesting, nor are you worth my time. Yet, by ruining my entertainment, you have managed to grab my attention.” asked the Outsider. His voice held no menace or threat. Rather, it was calm and collected as though everything were expected.

Discord (literally) put on his best puppy face. “Ruining? Who, me? I’d never!” Shouted the monster shouted the monster mockingly.

The Outsider was not amused.

Discord snapped his fingers, causing a cotton candy cloud to appear over the Outsider. There was a strike of lightning, and the lord of chaos was standing mere inches from the leviathan.

“After all? What’s a entertainment without excitement? Weren’t you bored watching him just kill those guards over and over?”

The man shook his head. “There are some things you do not understand. ”

“You just want your little pet back, don’t you?” chuckled Discord.

In order to put a bit of distance between himself and his enemy, the Outsider utilized his cloud of darkness, and teleported a short ways away from Discord.

Growing angry with the creature, the Outsider decided to drop the pleasantries. With him not being there to protect it, the void could become inhabited by lord knows what. Then he would have two problems on his hands.

The creature in front of him obviously did not want to cooperate, and so, armed with that knowledge, the young man simply decided to take back his shrines, and worry about Corvo later.

“Give to me my shrines.” ordered the Outsider

Discord, stunned by the sudden change in subject shrugged his shoulders. Then after a moment of consideration, shook his head and said “No.”

“So be it,” replied the god. “I shall take them by force.”

The darkness around the Outsider began rotating at a rate greater than normal. As it sped up it began whistling, and crackling with unnatural energy.

Discord however was completely unimpressed. He was relaxed to the point where he felt safe enough to be leisurely drinking a glass of orange juice, that, for some odd reason, never seemed to run out of liquid.

After deciding he was done drinking, Discord licked his lips, then threw the glass, still full of juice, at the Outsider. Rather than shattering though, the glass exploded violently against the inky blackness surrounding him, spraying a mixture of fire, juice, and glass shards in every direction.

But the young man was unharmed; The blackness had protected his bodily form, and rendered the explosion useless.

Once the Outsider realized he had been attacked, he decided to retaliate.

Slowly, he raised a hand, then brought it down.

A second after the Outsider’s hand dropped, lightning struck. There was a loud bang as electricity caused gas to expand, and rain began violently falling. The rain around the Outsider seemed to mingle and blend with the darkness that surrounded him, freezing and creating scale-like shards of ice.

Sitting in a lawn chair and on the ash left by the lightning strike was Discord, who was absent-mindedly attempting to clean his now matted, blackened fur.

“Do you know how hard it is to get soot out of fur?” asked the beast.

The Outsider didn’t respond, choosing to he raise his hand again.

Discord, simply rolled his eyes and conjured another glass of orange juice.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Wind whistled, thunder cracked, and rain hammered down on the platform just outside the door. In the mouth of the door stood Corvo, winded, out of magic power and ammunition. At the end of the platform stood the lord regent, who, at the moment, was holding a squirming Emily.

The assassin, overcome by the sight of Emily, began walking onto the platform, ignoring the shouts of the former spymaster.

“Stop right there Corvo! You had your chance to be a hero!”

The ex-protector, oblivious to the shouting, kept walking.

“In a minute, this will be just another bloody mess you’ve left behind!”

Corvo’s pace increased.

“You want your honor back? To save the lady in distress?! Oh no, Corvo, that’s not you!”

Just as Corvo passed the halfway point on the platform, the spymaster, drunk on power, jumped off the platform.

Corvo broke out into a run, charging towards the end of the platform, and diving at the last second. He threw his hand over the ledge, but caught nothing but air. Emily and the Lord were already well on their way down the “cliff”. Though Corvo could no longer hear their screams, he knew what Emily was shouting.

He had failed her. The man she trusted, looked up to, and held dear to her heart, had just let her die.

The assassin watched as their bodies hit the water, and slammed his fist down on the platform in frustration. He didn’t feel sad, or sorry. He just felt angry. So very angry and alone.

Taking a deep breath, Corvo closed his eyes.








Then woke with a start.






‘A dream...’


The assassin looked around. He was still leaned up against the wall in the alley, the empty basket laying on its side next to him.

Slowly, Corvo got to his feet.

Though it hadn't happened, the dream had definitely felt real. Stumbling out of the ally, Corvo fell out into the street.

He didn’t even get a chance to recover before he heard a shout. “There he is!”

The assassin looked up. He was surrounded by maybe ten, or more guards.

“What happened to its face? It’s not all metal-ly like before...” Muttered one guard

Corvo spawned a look of confusion, which was then replaced with realization. He’d left his mask in the alley!

Scrambling to his feet, the assassin dived back into the crevice between the two buildings.

“He’s escaping!”

Corvo, grabbing his mask off the floor quickly put it on and looked around.

‘Surrounded. Again. In an alley. Just great.’

“Surrender!” Shouted the armored ponies in unison.

“Wait! How about we strike a deal?”

There was a murmuring through out the crowd. They talked amongst themselves for a few seconds before one stallion, identical to all the others, muscled his way to the front of the rabble.

Everypony he had shoved watched him as he angrily stomped up to Corvo, then drew his sword.

“You monster! You’re the...the THING that killed my brother!” screamed the pony.

Corvo reflexively took a step back. The volume of the stallion’s shouting had been nothing to laugh at.

“What did he ever do to you?!” the stallion shouted.

Corvo, still in shock from the fact that he was being yelled at by a, what he considered, docile race, was unable to respond.

“I hate you!”

The crowd around him did nothing, they simply stared in shock.

Corvo, coming to his senses, slowly knelt down, and took a closer look at the pony.

“There are lots of people, and now ponies, that hate me, you know.” Muttered the assassin to the guard. “Adding another is no skin off my back.”

The pony had tears welling up in his eyes. In all honesty, Corvo did feel a bit of guilt in the pit of his stomach; the assassin sympathised with the pony’s feelings, after all, Corvo had been placed in a similar boat. But even with these feelings nagging him to apologize and try to make things right, the ex-protector did nothing.

“If it helps, I can kill you too. That way, the two of you can frolic through fields of flowers, or whatever it is that you all do when you die.”

The pony let out a scream of rage, and swung his blade. Corvo, with a practiced hand, drew his sword, and deflected the strike.

The pony, quickly responded, by rearing up on his hind legs, and jerking his head to the side in order to slice at the assassin’s neck. But the pony hadn’t expected Corvo’s random fighting style.

Rather than block, or dodge, Corvo dropped just under the blade of the stallion’s sword, and punched the poor thing in the stomach.

The stallion fell onto his back, and Corvo stood up. Looking around, Corvo realized that the other guards were preparing for a fight, drawing swords, charging magic, and taking stances.

“I don’t have time for this!” shouted the assassin.

Looking towards a wall on his left side, Corvo sprinted at then up it. Once he had lost momentum, about halfway up the wall, he quickly extended his hand and applied pressure to the wall opposite to the one he climbed.

For a moment, everypony stared at the assassin suspended up in the air. Before someone shouted “Get him down!”

Corvo, using his feet in place of his arms to suspend himself, charged magic, then teleported up, out of the alley, and onto the roof of the building on his left. Pulling out a grenade, Corvo, laughed homicidally as he dropped it into the alleyway. A second later, the building shook, and a resounding boom could be heard from below.

Running along the roof of the now flaming building, Corvo jumped off and prepared to blink to the ground.

Before he could make use of his spell, a wave of force hit him like a pile of bricks, sending him rocketing into a nearby wall.

Holding his head, the ex-protector searched for the caster of the force spell.

When he found her, his jaw dropped.

It was Celestia, in highly polished bronze armor. Her wings were spread, and her horn was still smoking. The now setting sun reflected off her armor in such a way where the ground was peppered with specks of light.

To her left were groups of guards, and to her right were Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor, horns ablaze.

Corvo got to his feet, and prepared a possession bolt.

‘Here we go again...’ thought the assassin.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Spike sat completely still, staring out the window. This day had been extremely frustrating for the baby dragon. Spike was still unaware of the events that had transpired throughout the day, and so he was still itching for information on how Twilight was doing.

Unfortunately for him, his wishes were but a pipe dream. There was no doubt about it, nopony was going to tell Spike that Corvo not only assaulted Twilight, but then abandoned her the first chance he got. After all, him throwing a fit when nopony was around to calm him down would be... bad to say the least.

He may be a baby, but he still had the temper of a full grown dragon.
‘Why won’t they let me go to Twilight? I’m her assistant, I’m supposed to help her with everything!’

Letting out a frustrated groan, Spike looked around for something to take his mind off his conundrum. Rainbow Dash, quite uncharacteristically, was sitting quietly in a corner. Pinkie Pie, bubbly as always, was bouncing around telling jokes to anypony that would lend an ear. Rarity was scribbling away in a notebook. Applejack was sitting talking quietly to Big Mac. And Fluttershy was staring directly at Spike, a sad look in her eye.

Spike, noticing the pegasus’s gaze, stared back. After a second, the mare averted her eyes, and bashfully hid behind her mane.

A few minutes after the awkward moment, Fluttershy made her way over to Spike, and sat down next to him.

Nudging him, she asked “A-are you alright?”

The dragon simply nodded, but the look in his eye told another story.

“You know, if you have a problem, it helps to tell a friend. I learned that from Rarity.”

Spike, who was holding his head in his claws, looked down at the floor. “I miss Twi.”

“It’s only been a day,” she gently responded.

“But she’s with the creepy metal face guy, and I don’t want her to get hurt.” mumbled the baby dragon, still staring at the ground.

“Would you like to know a secret?”

Across the room, Pinkie’s ears perked up and she shouted “YES! What is it! Ooo, I’m so excited! Telllmetellmetellme!”

Rolling her eyes, Fluttershy leaned in and whispered something into Spike’s ear.

Once she had finished, a grin had broken out over the baby dragon’s face. Hopping off the bed, he ran towards Big Mac. If what Fluttershy said was true, then he had a chance to save Twilight, and maybe stop that evil biped in the process.

Author's Note:

The reason this took so long is because of this;

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/82044/why-cant-you

Edited by: Urdreth

Tell me your opinions and suggestions below.

Comments ( 18 )

IT LIVES!!!!!

2246027

Did you really think I would die that easily?

2246027

man wheres your faith, brother :rainbowlaugh:

Erm...a batallion is alot of soldiers. A lot.
Maybe a platoon?

2620426

Abandoned him in the library.

I await the next chapter.

Will you please continue this story?

3223456

Sure, but I have a pretty bad case of writer's block. I have a general idea of what needs to happen. I just don't know how to articulate it well.

3225446 a writers block of 6 months?
:rainbowhuh:

3227924

among other things. I lack an editor who knows both lore etc. then there's real life too.

I think this is dead. :c :raritycry:

Comment posted by SpitFlame deleted Dec 5th, 2013

3228847
Whelp, time to wait again. Hope you find an editor soon.

R.I.P. the rat assassin. may your spirit be at peace

6655628 reread this, still good story, still no update

Would be nice to see him fool an entire kingdom xD. But dead men dont walk..... Nor fool entire kingdoms. :raritydespair:

7384987
Boy I knew it was discord from the start. Only being with the balls to mess with a god..... Is another god. Celestia can bleed..... That means she can be killed..... Gods don't die....

Login or register to comment