• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 1,669 Views, 34 Comments

Chaos Rules Once More - KillerSteel



Equestria's set on a chaotic course, and a familiar Emperor is at the helm. Viva La Chaos!

  • ...
5
 34
 1,669

Golden Thrones and Stormy Skies

The throne room of Canterlot. The ultimate symbol of divine grace and nobility in the country, that one place where no sinful act could ever be carried out. The silken curtains, the marble flooring and pillars, the golden throne with a cushion as red as new blood. Truly a symbol of purity and sacred right.

Within it sat a new monarch, however. One who currently weaved new coloring into his throne room, converting and transmuting as his heart desired. The curtains became frogs interlinked with chains made of resin, the floors shifting between mud, gold, and moon dust, the staircase moving like an escalator with wildly shifting speeds. It was as if the room itself had lost its mind, now trying to see if it could be one of those new strip malls everypony was talking about! Peer pressure had conquered the holy room of Equestria!

Or maybe it was just the new monarch snapping his fingers every now and then, reality shattering like the thinnest of mirrors.

"What should I do today?" The monarch stroked his chin in thought, speaking to a pink cloud spraying chocolate milk rain off to the right, falling into a white glass. He took the glass with a most graceful gesture and partook of it, a flavor of fine wine blessing his taste buds. The tasty glass vanished, leaving behind the brown substance from the cloud. With a flick of his wrist, the baneful liquid was chucked at a nearby wall, now sporting a new igneous rock structure. Apparently, volcanic rock didn't stand up too well against explosive chocolate milk, the explosion rocking the throne room as debris sprayed and fell upwards.

"... Maybe I should just let the country run itself? It's been a long time since I enjoyed this throne. It just isn't built for somepony like me, though," he whined, trying to get his long tail adjusted just so in preparation for a nap; he cursed having one at points, it was a touch big for his liking, but the two managed to get along most days. It was hard getting back in here! Even he deserved a break every now and then, right? "Yes, think I'll just take a short snooze, let chaos have its way for once."


And so it was. Chaos indeed spread quickly throughout the country, though it didn't need much help after the battle prior. It had been twenty seven weeks and three days since the fight, though the rapidly rising and setting sun made it difficult to tell how much time really passed. A certain mare tried to live her life as usual, despite the clouds rapidly shifting into assortments of brick, stone, lava and snow. It made her line of work difficult, to say the least... given that a cloud you were kicking could suddenly turn into broiling magma, the current state of affairs certainly added danger pay to her bi-weekly cheque!

"Gah! S-Stupid lava clouds!" The blue mare screeched, flailing to get away as the cloud she'd just put her hoof in decided to become boiling bronze. Chaos made work really hard! Then again, it seemed everypony was complaining about their work. The librarian was making her voice known way too much with how her books suddenly turned into snakes... then there was that rainbow-maned pegasus slacking off and getting burned when she did her stunts. Don't even get her started on the fashionista; it was faints twenty-two/seventy with her!

"Where's Flitter? She's supposed to be working this shift with me!" She added her own complaints to the whole ordeal, grimacing. Her sister should be there suffering with her, instead of leaving her to do all the work! But nooooo, she had to go hang out with Thunderlane... at least this mare was making double pay for doing the shift. Her bed was gonna pay for it, though; wings weren't meant to flap this much or this hard... all the clouds just felt harder to kick apart.

"S-Sorry, Chaser! I got caught up in something!" Flitter made a sudden appearance, apologetically smiling and whipping some lava off her leg. Wait, lava?!

"F-Flitter, your leg! Isn't that stuff hot?!" Cloud panicked, zooming over to her sister to inspect her leg. Why're there no burns on her leg?

"It's not so bad. Feels like a hot spring actually!" Flitter smiled, taking some of the lava off and splattering it on her sister's face. This was followed by an appropriately blood-curdling death scream and Cloud frantically flailing her hooves on her face, trying to get the supposedly deadly substance off.

"Ahhhhhh!! Don't do that! This stuff's dangerous!" Cloud shouted, getting the last of the mud off. It did feel kind of like a hot spring, though the lava suddenly changing again made it feel dirty...

"Oh come on, Rainbow flew through a cloud made of the stuff and she's fine. Though her mane likely isn't going to go back to normal anytime soon..." Flitter looked up at the sky, the sun now setting to the North. It morphed into a giant chicken for a few minutes before turning back into that usual bright sphere. The chicken seemed somewhat perturbed by this change of events.

"Whadya mean?" Cloud asked, flying along beside her sister as they looked for more clouds.

"It looked like she was hit by lightning. Her mane was sticking out in all directions, sparks jumping between the hairs! It was awesome," Flitter giggled, remembering Rainbow's face; she'd never seen such a massive smile, and such a loud exclamation of 'awesome' in her life! Despite the battle that took place a while ago, ponies were adapting quite well to their new environment and monarch. It was strange... but at least everypony was happy, right?

"Lightning, huh? What, the lava's suddenly carrying electricity?" Cloud simply raised an eyebrow, frowning; being hit by lightning was dangerous, more dangerous than kicking apart clouds made of lava! What was that insane pegasus thinking?! She could've died, or melted, or exploded, or her wings could've been turned into frogs, or-

"Cloud, something wrong? You're bugging out," Flitter furrowed her brow, tapping her sister on the forehead.

"Huh? Oh, sorry..."

"You were thinking about disaster scenarios again, weren't you?"

"I can't help it. Ever since Discord took over, things've been happening! Crazy things! I don't know how everypony is so used to it!"

"Cloud, you live in Ponyville. Twilight has her insane spells and time travel, Rainbow can do Sonic Rainbooms, Pinkie's throwing parties every week, Lyra sits like... Lyra, and there's the threat of Spike burping on your papers and sending them to the Princess. Is it really that hard to get used to this?"

"Well... yeah."

"C'mon, Cloud! At least we don't have to worry about the Everfree anymore!" Flitter threw her hooves out in exclamation. Her eyes moved off to the right as a loud rumbling came to the two pegasi, and she quickly spun around, bucking a cloud flying past; the sound was like controlled explosions... what were those six things on top on top of the cloud? Cylinders?

"Oh, don't get me started on the Everfree! That forest is the stuff of nightmares! Makes me wanna move back to Cloudsdale," Cloud moped, a random lightning strike coming out of a pink cloud in front of her. She jumped with a shriek, but immediately calmed down as the pleasant scent of rosemary fell into her nostrils; woo, that was weird... smelled nice, though! And at least Cloudsdale wasn't falling apart like Ponyville... granted, Cloudsdale had its own problems with the pudding industry and the weather factory having legal arguments.

"Ahhh, don't worry about it. Everypony's fine! We've had random disasters everyday in this town, and everypony survived every one. Now, we've got chaos. It's kinda like a disaster, only everypony isn't in danger."

"That's a weird theory on the world falling apart!" Cloud made her own exaggerated gestures, wincing in pain as her wings protested against the sudden movement.

"You've been working hard, haven't you? C'mon, you head back to town and take a break, I'll take over," Flitter smiled, brushing some of her mint-colored mane to the side.

"Alright... you owe me half your pay though!" Cloud furrowed her brow, quickly returning the smile. She descended out of the sky and turned, Ponyville greeting her from below. From up here, the patchwork fields looked pretty soft; like a giant blanket your mom made for you when you were two. A scream came from the farm off to the right as another tree walks off from the orchard, an orange mare chasing after it; yet another bad day for Sweet Banana Acres... Cloud chuckled at her pun.

She touched down after a minute or so of descent, happily folding her wings and walking through town. The first thing she saw was rather surprising, despite the state of things in the town; Lyra was sitting on her head on the bench as it galloped through the town. She didn't seem very pleased; the furrowed brow and crossed forelegs were enough of an indicator. She had her tail jammed between her hind legs, grimacing at passing stallions.

Cloud watched the street for a few moments. Huh, Bon Bon wasn't chasing her... with a raise of her brow, she continued her trek through the town. A small purple dragon sprinted by her, carrying scrolls that were quickly exploding into confetti as he made a bee line towards the giant tree library. Well, chaos was good for some, bad for others... and for a mare like Twilight, this was probably making her melt down.

Sure enough, an explosion and a scream echo from the tree, blue paint flying out and moving through the air in a giant ball. It came over to Cloud and began raining on her head, the paint changing color. She held up her bangs as the warm paint cascaded down, coating her whole body a monochrome pink; at least it smelled good. Kinda like perfume...now cotten candy...now swamp gas...now back to perfume. Ohhhh, it was gonna be a rough day...

Cloud didn't like the way things were then, that much was apparent. Everypony was taking things too lightly after their country was just up and conquered in a few minutes. Lava clouds, exploding spells, randomly flying, sentient paint balls; it was all just too random for her! Things didn't even comprehend predictable order anymore, things weren't normal!

Suuuuure, for most ponies it wasn't much to get used to; Ponyville did have crazier things happen in the past. But Cloud had an issue with her imagination running off on her and imagining worst case scenarios. Add that to the world now pretty much turning itself inside out, and you've got a pegasus who'd rather be in a solid white room with no body.

And for a few moments, that happened... at least half of it. Her body blipped out of existence, leaving her vision to gravity as it pulled her eyes to the ground. A few moments of solid, heart-stopping terror passed, and it came back up as her body reformed. Cloud's brain froze for a few moments at this occurrence. She immediately sprinted for home, wanting to spend the rest of the month in her bed, a voice in the back of her mind praying that it didn't turn into superglue again!