• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 41,579 Views, 3,503 Comments

The Return of Princess Nightmare Moon - Aegis Shield



Nightmare Moon returns as a battered, half-starved alicorn and its up to everypony to help her. Meanwhile, Blueblood lusts after Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
123
 3,503
 41,579

Happily Ever After (II of II)

The Return of Princess Nightmare Moon
Part 23: Happily Ever After (II of II)

“…and in so doing, a bearer may choose to spend the power of one of the gems imbued on the Helm of Disintegration to destroy one metallic object. This may be done until all the gems are spent, and they may not be recharged under any circumstances outside the ‘wish’ spell.” Nightmare Moon was sitting next to a hospital bed, regal and quietly reading a Ponies and Castles book to an unconscious stallion. Right then, she happened to be in the magic items chapter, and had been reading them alphabetically for hours. She sighed quietly, closing the tome and setting it on the stack with the others.

Shortly after the battle with Crysalis, Nurse Bandaid had been rushed to the hospital wing of the palace. There, he’d been treated with the greatest care bits could buy, laid in a Royal suite, and put under constant watch. The stallion had not stirred much beyond the occasional twitch of a hoof, or a slight stirring of louder dreams. They had him tied to several machines that monitored him in every way, and other than the braver medical staff he was not disturbed.

Nightmare had not left his side, and had even made a little nest of blankets in the corner to rest on. After having slept on his floor in his tiny apartment, she found the firmness most agreeable to her rejuvenated back and legs. But, now was not the time for sleep. She leaned over his handsome, sleeping form with a delicate frown. Healing was not her way, and neither was tenderness. It was alien to her, and she wished there was something she could do to help. She’d already sent for a powerful healer, but who knew when she would arrive. The Princess leaned over him, stroking his cheek with a troubled frown. “Stallion, thou hath been a the chew toy of the fates.” She whispered apologetically. “Wilt thou not wake for me, that I may set it all right?” she hung her head, wishing very much to crawl into the alicorn-sized bed with him and just hold him. But, she dared not. With so many wires and straps criss-crossing him this way and that, it would be difficult to cuddle him properly. And if a Princess like she could not cuddle properly, she did not cuddle at all. There would be no less-than-godly cuddling.

The sound of large hoofs stepping daintily upon the tile perked Nightmare’s ears. She swerved her head about, and saw her. “Princess Nightmare Moon.” She bade softly, bowing at the base of her neck. The light reflected from her trappings here and there as she stepped forth into the room. “I came as soon as I heard. You’re looking well.”

“Cadance.” Nightmare Moon rose rather stiffly, trying to regain her composure and regality. “I would not summon thee if the need were not dire, I thank thee for thy attendance.”

“So formal, sister!” Cadance swept the black Princess into a hug, which she uncomfortably returned. There were certain… histories, there. A goddess of love and a goddess of lust, in their own ways, were very close. But, Nightmare had always harbored a more than mild jealousy for her pink sibling. What was love, if not a purer form of lust? It made Nightmare’s mind itch, and she cleared her throat as Cadance came to lean over the wounded stallion.

“So this is him?” Cadance whispered rhetorically. “Oh yes, I see. Right there in his neck.” Her eyes flickered from pleasant over to milky-white. She stared into the poor pony’s soul, looking at the damaged emotions and drives of rage within. “If Crysalis had taken much more of his love, he would be beyond even my aide.” She whispered worriedly. Blinking to return her eyes to normal, she went and closed the door. What was about to happen was both secret and sacred. A goddess did not often stop to meddle in the health of mortals, but this was special. He’d been wounded by a goddess while caring for another goddess, so a third had come to help him. Such a strange twist of fate, this little brown earth pony had endured.

“You can cure him, then?” Nightmare leaned forward eagerly. “I blasted he and the imposter so hard, and he was already hurting with his rage when it was done.” She hung her head guiltily.

“You did what you thought was right, for better or worse.” Cadance said gently, smiling. Turning and returning to the bedside, she leaned over and surveyed his soul once more. “His spirit is mending, but it may take more time. Or it may not. It’s hard to say.” She frowned as she tried to describe what she saw. Nurse Bandaid’s soul was like parchment with a rip in it, right where his heart was. That was where a changeling fed. It was all very metaphysical. Books and books had been written about it.

“Can you aide him or no?” Nightmare said impatiently. Her worry had made her rude, but her sister understood this. Tossing her mane a little, the black alicorn stared Cadance down, as though that would bring answers.

“Much of the love has been drained from him, Nightie.” Princess Cadance whispered. “While it will recover on its own over time, there’s no telling what sort of bad things he might do during the weeks of its recovery. He’ll be nothing but hate and violence for a long, long time.”

“Weeks?!” Nightmare squawked. “Unacceptable! We must speed this recovery. Pray tell!”

“Do you love him?” Cadance said, eyes lidding in a silky way.

Nightmare flinched like she’d been struck. “I--- erm--!” she floundered a little, indignant. “I do not love others. I am the goddess of the night! I am of fertility and wine, sex and magic!” she turned her regal muzzle up, though there was a quiver in her back legs as she spoke. Cadance affixed her with a long, quiet smile. “What? Tiz true! I may have a friendly affection for those around me, but tiz not love!” she denied again. Cadance’s smile grew a little. Pink began to stain Nightmare Moon’s cheeks. “And even if I did, he is mortal! Not a proper companion! There are no male alicorns and we may only indulge in the fleeting affection of our subjects!” she held the words up like a glass shield. Cadance leaned against the table on the wall, smile only getting bigger and bigger. “Stop that! Stop grinning like a hyena at us!” Nightmare said, turning her head away with an angry pout.

“You do. You do love him.” Cadance whispered. “Perhaps sprouting from the fact that he took care of you for so long… but maybe in spite of that its grown into a more solid friendship…” the pink alicorn trailed off, lighting her horn to feel the bonfire that was her sister’s spirit. There was resentment, embarrassment, and pride boiling all around her. She was a Princess of love, but Cadance could feel Nightmare’s conflicted feelings. “And then it’s come to this.” She whispered. She finally found it. The little flicker of honest-to-goodness love in Nightmare Moon’s heart. She was a lusty, squawky, selfish thing— but she was harboring feelings. The stallion lying still in the bed between them held some piece of her heart in his hooves. “I think I can help.” She said at last, nodding. Nightmare’s face lit up.

“What boon doth thee desire, sister?” Nightmare wanted to know. “Any price, merely name it.” She confirmed with all seriousness. “I’ve a set of wishing stars, perhaps. Or a coffer or two of gold? He is easily worth his weight in gold if you like?”
Cadance laughed easily, shaking her head. “No no, I’m just here to help my big sister.” She opened her wings, fluttering them a bit. Nightmare looked confused. “You’re so materialistic and weighted, Nightie.” She chided softly, looking at the goddess sideways. “This is love. Love has no price.” She lit her horn with powerful magics. Nightmare backed up a step and shielded herself with a wing, for the light was almost solar. Though lovemaking happened at night, ponies gazed lovingly at each other during the day, so it was divided between the two divine halves. “Alright, we’re ready. Kiss him.” Cadance chirped.

“Kiss him?!”

“Kiss him.” She nodded. “I can only enhance what love is there. He needs a conduit to ‘feed’ from.” Cadance said, closing her wings when her spell was done. “Sort of like a changeling, really, just in reverse. He has less love than he should in his heart, and you give him some of yours to fill in the gap.”

“…kiss him?” Nightmare said, looking unsure. “I almost kissed the false Bandaid, b-but I’d not wagered such a thing with the genuine one since his… since well…” she trailed off uncomfortably. “He doth not love me in return, he would not consent.” She said, looking away with red cheeks.

“Well, I could kiss him instead I suppose. I am the goddess of love, after all.” She preened a bit, winking.

“I would punch thee in the head for molesting him!” Nightmare exploded, blimping her wings open threateningly.

“You’re thinking about it all wrong, sister.” Cadance said gently to her volatile sister. “I love all things equally… save Shining Armor of course, but that’s something else.” She giggled a little. “I could do it if you can’t bring yourself to.”

“No! No, I just… I just…” Nightmare leaned over Bandaid, placing her front hooves on the bedside. She studied his peaceful face, and watched him deeply breathe. Despite all his wires and tubes and such, he did not look to be in pain. “I do not know…” she frowned down at him. She considered her feelings. He had done everything asked of him and more. She’d already paid his student loans and had his things moved to a palace apartment, which he would receive when he awoke. But surely he deserved such a small token as a kiss, also? Sure, she’d flirted and made lewd comments at him, but he wasn’t like any other stallion. He’d stood up to her, talked to her rather than up at her, and had given her the tender loving care she’d needed to recover. She leaned down and kissed him. Smek. Raising herself up, she peered at the limp stallion. Nothing happened. “Thou fibbith to me!” Nightmare accused angrily.

“’Fibbith’ is not a word.” Cadance snorted, calling out her older dialect. “And that kiss was terrible.” She rolled her eyes, once more leaning against the table a few paces away. “For one that has had so many lovers, one would think that you would know an honest kiss and how to give one.” Nightmare scowled angrily, opening her mouth to roar. “Look at him, Nightie.” Cadance gestured quietly. There was a heavy silence, but the black alicorn did so. “Really, really look at him.”

Nightmare settled down to the bedside again, studying Bandaid’s handsome face. A brown earth pony with a darker brown mane. It was the least-interesting thing imaginable when it came to pony hues and breeds. Yet somehow he’d done the impossible and put up with her for so long. He stuck by her no matter what. “Just a kiss…” the goddess whispered in a troubled way.

“A real kiss.” Cadance said gently. Mutely, her horn lit and magic quietly permeated the room. She didn’t so much create love as she did bring it to light. Now was the time, if Bandaid was not to spend months being either unconscious or strapped to a bed screaming in a rage for Faust knew how long. Love was precious, and not something that returned easily when it was sucked out by a Changeling.

“A real kiss.” Nightmare mumbled in a troubled way. She reached up to caress his cheek again, then pulled away to stand on all fours. Cadance opened her mouth to beg her to try again, but stopped. Leaning a bit, Nightmare Moon reached up. She quietly removed her helm and set it on the stack of Ponies and Castles books. Her ethereal mane hung in all directions, and she tossed her head to tame it. Stepping slowly out of her silvery horse-shoes, she pulled the trappings from her breast and levitated them to one side. If she was to give a true and honest kiss, it would have to be as something more than trappings and power-endowing symbols. Quite naked she leaned over him again, a hoof on his shoulder and cheek. She swallowed a little, staring into his peaceful face. Nightmare leaned down, and the quiet musk of stallion touched her. Closing her eyes, she cupped his face. “Bandaid…” she murmured softly. So rarely did she call him by name, instead of hoof servant, or nurse, or something else. His name, it tasted right on her lips. She could feel the warmth of his skin, and the velvety touch of his muzzle calling. Love magic flowing through her, Cadance, and her lips, she pressed them to his. The feeling made her heart pound. A quiet moan wisped out of her throat. Time slowed for a long time, until she pulled away. She looked down at him, mewling softly. The stallion still had not moved. She hung her head, wilting.
















“…huhhhhh.”
















He suddenly took a deep breath of waking, his eyes flicking open. Nightmare gaped at him as the stallion shifted, turned on his side and flicked his tail. “Mhhrm-- Princess it’s still day. Go ‘way…” he moaned, sticking his head under the pillow.
“BANDAID! Thou art alright!” Nightmare flung her arms about him as Cadance worked feverishly at the hospital machines to make sure nothing got ripped out. Nightmare crushed the stallion to herself, stroking his mane and mewling aloud. “I thought thee forever a rage monster!”

“Rage monster…?” he said blearily, cocking his head. “Whassat?” he rubbed his eyes some, looking over Nightmare’s shoulder at Cadance. The pink alicorn giggled behind her hoof staring lovingly at the scene. “Who’s that? Why am I in a hospital bed…?” he peered around blearily, blinking in an owlish way.

Nightmare sat on her haunches and began to eagerly explain everything to him. She made sure he had a little juice box in front of him the whole time, pawed at his blankets now and then to be sure they were soft, and told the narrative with ghusto. What a tale! Over an hour had gone by, and when she looked over, Cadance had slipped out beyond notice. Nightmare would have to thank her later.

“So I got bitten, I kind’a remember that part,” Bandaid said with a screwed up face of concentration. “It’s all so muddled.” He said, frustrated. He could not recall anything about beating down two changeling soldiers, going on a rampage and going up against a false copy of himself. Everything from when he was drained of his love forward was a fog.

“You were not yourself.” Nightmare coddled him a moment, then eased him onto his back. “And I shalt take care of thee until thou art ready to resume thy duties…” she trailed off suddenly. She wasn’t weak, or sick anymore. Why did she need a nurse? She suddenly looked horrified.

“You do look a little pale.” Bandaid murmured from where he lay, nodding. He turned on his side, heaving a great breath. “So wait.” He stopped to ask, looking up at her curiously. “If you were sort of killed, and reformed perfectly healthy, why didn’t we let you die when you first arrived home?” he frowned. “That would’ve really helped to know, y’know. We could’ve saved all this mess.”

Nightmare Moon looked rather offended, and coughed a little. Putting on a sweet and motherly smile, she leaned and cupped his cheek. “I know thou art feeling poorly, and may be bedridden for some time, dear Bandaid. But, would you allow me to plunge a knife into your heart, and thou may be better right now?” her tone dripped with liquid sweetness and she fluttered her eyelashes at him.

“…oh.” Bandaid mumbled meekly.

“It doesn’t hurt any less for an alicorn to 'die' than it does a mortal. We’d rather suffer and be fussed over by handsome stallions like thee for a few weeks,” she paused to wink at him playfully, “Than to pitch over dead for even a few moments.”

“But… but why didn’t you starve on the moon, then?” he wanted to know. He sure was full of questions now that this titanic revelation had been brought to light. “If you’re practically mortal in some ways, wouldn’t you starve?”

“You’d be surprised what you can live through.” The Princess said a little sulkily. “Especially when you can sustain on liquid moonlight.” She watched him open his mouth for another question, but she shushed him. “Hush now, stallion. Thou still needeth rest and relaxation.” She patted his head. “I hath reading material,” she gestured to the stack of books. “And a staff of beautiful medical mares to see to thy every need.” She winked at him.

“Princess, those are my co-workers!” Bandaid squawked.

“Stallions too!” Nightmare amended playfully, standing at last.

“Oh for Faust’s sake, you’re terrible!” he moaned, face-hoofing.

“And thou art in my care now, hoof servant.” Nightmare giggled a bit when the stallion moaned, long and loud. The black alicorn levitated her nest of blankets from the corner, bunching them up under her so she would have somewhere to sit on the bed and not be pressed up against him. “Here.” She levitated a familiar deck of cards to him. He smirked a little, looking comforted. His Princess command cards would help, if even just a little.

Bandaid carefully reached over after shoving Nightmare’s helm aside, pulling a Ponies and Castle’s book to himself. Ah, it was Ice Storm, the book of games that took place in an arctic environment. He did love adventures that took place in unusual places. Flipping it open to read, he finally lay back and relaxed into the warm embrace of the pillows. “Hahhh…” he sighed.

After a time, Nightmare shifted in a bored way. Cocking her head, she stared out the window, then at him, then about the room. She wanted to help, twas only right after all that had happened. She made to rise from the bed, but he raised a hoof. “Yes?” she said eagerly.

He pressed a command card from the deck to her breast. It was one of the blank ones, filled in with scratchy hoof writing. ‘Rub my legs’, it said. Nightmare blanched. When had he… he… he didn’t have a quill there with him… and he… when…? She suddenly threw her head back in uproarious, joyful laughter.



…then set to work.



=-----=-----=-----=-----=-----=-----=-----=
Meanwhile in the Throne Room…
=-----=-----=-----=-----=-----=-----=-----=



Celestia was opening some mail that had arrived to her, post-marked the Southern Badlands. Perhaps it was from Crysalis, begging forgiveness after only a few days? That was awfully grown-up of her. At this rate, perhaps she’d be a goddess someday after all. Celestia’s face fell when she saw it was not, in fact, from the changeling Queen. “Dear Princess Celestia,” she read aloud to herself. “We’ve gone to elope with the changeling soldiers Geode and Pupa on the south-western coast of the badlands. They have beaches there to enjoy, it’s not all just jagged wasteland. Please give our regards to Princess Nightmare Moon. We quit. Sincerely, Aegis Shield and Stalwart Hide.” She stared at the letter, mouth agape. Wh... what?! The milky alicorn looked down at the singular, rather nervous creature standing at the bottom of her dais. The changeling messenger had a heavy crate next to it, which she was sure contained two sets of solar guard armor. Celestia face-hoof’d.




THE END

Comments ( 318 )

Aww, it's over.

lol that was great

well.........so much for Celestia's recommended guards........is this legit or Changeling meddling.....either way Nightmare may not like it:facehoof:

Wait, that's it? Really? Huh, kinda feels . . . let downish. No 'what became of Blueblood and Twilight after a while' or something? :applecry:

YESSS!

And then the subsequent NOOOOOOOO!

Sad that is it over.
I'd love to read another story from you.

Pfft... XD A most glorious ending indeed, though I wish most dearly for a sequel...
2.bp.blogspot.com/-3Gv1p1BjUT4/T3BEtioyHpI/AAAAAAAAj_k/suXGwda-z2E/s1600/1.png

D'aaaw. Nightmare finally knows real love.

Kinda sad Discord never showed up.

Maybe a sequel?!

"You'd be surprised what you can live through."

media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4lh9roxDs1qauop7.gif

I quite like this Nightmareverse you'd concocted, Aegis. Pray tell, will we be seeing more of it?

*Gasp*
Those traitors! :flutterrage:

...I can't stay mad at you.

Beautiful! Awaiting Sequel!

And, that ending.

1837785 Nah. I set out to tell a story, and its been told. Time to move on to other projects. :pinkiesad2::heart:

end of the story or end of chapter?

Also, nice incorporation of the complaints about why she didn't reform on return,

:rainbowlaugh: the end was my favorite.

Nightmare is too adorable for her own good.

Wait, so what was Blueblood's wish?

Comment posted by Snublock deleted Dec 22nd, 2012

Wow... It's finally over.

"What's a blood rage? And why can't I remember anything?"
-Seras Victoria, Hellsing Abridged

Cadance is a sister? Eh... I'll buy it. I mean, the premise of the fic permits it. The way she gave a "true love's kiss" reminded me a bit of Matrix Reloaded. Was that the inspiration?

And Celestia wasn't the alrighty chessmaster she thought herself to be...hee hee.

Loved this story, man. Absolutely loved it.

Ageis and Stalwart were Night guards.

Wow that was great :twilightsmile:

I'm going to miss this updating almost every day because I just love your characterization of everyone, seriously you made me like Blueblood; for that you deserve an award of some kind.

Oh and and i love the end with Aegis Shield and Stalwart Hide those two get up to so much mischief together

Awww man but there were so many more adventures to go on.

Sad it's over, but what a wonderful ride. ^-^ Great ending as well, glad to see the changelings and the guards make it out of this ok.

Well, it was fun. But all good things must come to an end.:twilightsmile:

Celestia: :facehoof:
lol didn't see that on your chest broad did 'ja

must need sequel!

Excellent work! Your take on Nightmare Moon was great. I was worried you'd turn her into Luna when she regenerated, thank you for keeping her Nightmare Moon. Please continue, a humorous Nightmareverse that's free of crushing angst is always welcome. :yay:

well, did not expect that ending.

ISS

Sequel! We need sequel immediately!

>The End
i.imgur.com/a6LOH.gif

I absolutely loved this story. I hope you revisit this particular universe again sometime, it was a lot of fun.:twilightsmile:

That ending was priceless!

That was a wonderful last chapter... I loved the last two chapters have been great... I'm just sad that it's over. :twilightsmile:
:scootangel: Looking forward to your next works!!

Dat ending... :rainbowlaugh:

Celestia: :facehoof:

I loved that part. The 'rub my legs' sticker was a stroke of genius as well.

sequel please

..but, what about Blueblood and Twi? what about their brunch?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6901500160/h5FBE16D4/
but loved it all the way to the end

Multiple things are going through my head now.
1:GREAT , love how you ended it.:rainbowkiss:
2: Its over :(

:heart::heart::heart::pinkiehappy:BRILLIANT STORY!!!!!!:raritystarry::heart::heart::heart:

But its now over:fluttercry::fluttershbad:

...Epilogue??? :fluttershysad:........ Please???

Well hot damn. I'm sad to see this end, but i can only hope there's a sequel.

i think pupa and geode had the best ending of them all.:twilightsmile:

Kind of... weird ending. No epilogue, not "What happens next?" and it's seems that it ends without a resolution. Mind you, this could be only a part of a series, but the feeling of the writing doesn't indicate that. I hope I'm wrong, mainly because I would love to see what would happen with the rest of the mane six.

Blueblood subplot was quite good, although a little heavy-handed with the redemption quest, if only because we mostly saw the results and not the journey itself.

Bandaid, bandaid, bandaid. Honestly, I'm conflicted with this character. Is interesting and kind, but honestly I didn't see why he just snapped with Nightmare Moon. At least on camera, Nightmare actions were neither that bad or annoying and his rant was too mean, too abusive for me to root for him. Honestly, I saw him quite unprofessional and while I can understand what is it to get a frustrating patient, what he did truly crossed the line. One moment happy, the other spewing words like "whore and slut" made him look almost psychotic.

I honestly didn't like your explanation of the Alicorn's immortality and their powers, although I loved your explanation of Nightmare Moon betrayal.

All in all, it was a satisfying yet a little broken fic and I hope you continue the adventures in this AU World.

Happy Mayan Year

Aww... but it was just getting really good. Why must the things I come to love leave me so? *sigh* oh well, maybe someday we will see more of this nurse bandaid and his alicorn goddess... :pinkiesad2:

1838040 "Slice of Life" stories rarely have a resolution/end ... unless everyone DIES. :twilightsheepish:

1837804
He wished for a set of dancing shoes, so he wouldn't be tempted to wish for something as insanely stupid as what Nightie expected him to wish for.

this was amazing. It's too bad there won't be more.

I loved this, so much, and to see it end… My mind is reeling in all directions. We need to see this continue in all the variables, Band-aid and Nightmare; Pupa, Stalwart, Aegis and Geode; and twilight and Blueblood. SO many different tales to tell! This is why I love your work, you don't just give us good entertainment with great stories, you give us stories that inspire us to imagine other stories. Gimme a brohoof! /)

Excellent. Complete and now in my ever-growing Archive; Story #5,829. More... The Archive must grow...

Login or register to comment