• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 41,534 Views, 3,503 Comments

The Return of Princess Nightmare Moon - Aegis Shield



Nightmare Moon returns as a battered, half-starved alicorn and its up to everypony to help her. Meanwhile, Blueblood lusts after Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
123
 3,503
 41,534

Intensive Care

The Return of Princess Nightmare Moon
Part 2: Intensive Care

The nurses and doctors at the Canterlot Palace received a message via Pegasus that Princess Nightmare Moon would be among them soon. The medical wing went into a verifiable shitstorm of activity. A room was prepared with four long beds shoved together into one big mass. Medical machines were ripped out of their sockets to make room. A path was made so there would be no stopping between the door and the room. The eldest, wisest, and quickest doctors and surgeons were called in at the bizarre hour. The Princess was coming, and she was apparently very ill.

By the time Celestia, Nightmare Moon, and Twilight arrived with the rest of the entourage there was an army of ready medical hooves at the ready. Heart Starter and Rapid Pulse were the head doctors, ready when the doors were flung open. There was open gasping as the filthy dark alicorn was brought in, covered in grey dust and looking starved to death. “Make way!” Rapid Pulse shouted, sending the nurses scattering like so many chickens. “Bring the litter this way! IV drips are set, I want liquid vitamins cooled as soon as possible! Bring in the vitamin rags!” he directed them like an orchestra conductor or a ship’s captain.

Heart Starter started trotting alongside the litter as the guards bore the dark alicorn in. “This room over here, yes this one,” he steered them into a wide set of double doors and into the private room. Ripping the curtains to one side to show the massive bed. “Set the litter down, alright hold her head. I don’t want her neck to move an inch when you move her!” he was commanding guards now, and they readily obeyed. Celestia lit her horn, steadying Nightmare Moon’s back to keep it straight. “Easy boys, one, two, THREE!” Half a dozen ponies lifted the black pony from the litter onto the bed and set her down as gently as they could. They folded her wings and let her lay on her side. She moaned audibly, curling a little. “Get an IV drip started!” he flicked his gaze at the guards. “You boys did good, now let us do our job.” He shoo’ed them out of the room until only Celestia and Twilight Sparkle remained. He didn’t stop to bow to Celestia, but instead set straight to work on the Princess of the Night.

“Princess, she’s gonna be okay right?” Twilight looked up at her mentor with foal-like soft eyes.

“I hope so, Twilight…” Celestia said, wanting to go near but not wanting to get in the way of the trained medical staff. The Princess was not a doctor, and her solar magic would slip off of Nightmare Moon like oil if she tried healing her. They really were polar opposites, so there was little she could do other than stand and watch.

“Get that cloak off, it’s filthy!” One of the nurses had already come with scissors, and with a few snips they got rid of the threadbare garment. Celestia seized it before it fell to the floor, folding it quickly and giving to Twilight. The purple mare diligently folded it and gently put it in her saddlebags. It felt like spidersilk, it was so old and frail… how had it survived for a thousand years?

“Severe muscular atrophy, it’s like she can’t hold her own weight…” one of the doctors was already examining her long spindly legs. Nurses were working diligently, cutting away massive portions of the wild mane and tail until it was a more manageable length. Twilight winced while they bushwhacked great swaths of the royal mane to get rid of it and make Nightmare’s body easier to work with. Medical scissors were not barber’s scissors, to say the least. They lifted her wings, checking the feathers and looking sick at the sight of her. They’d never seen so MUCH wrong with one pony before, it was horrifying. Nightmare flinched a little when the IV pricked her several times. They could barely even find a vein to use, she was so sickly and thin.

The limp alicorn shifted a little, whimpering. Celestia stepped forward, leaning over the throng and putting a comforting hoof on her poor sister. “Rest, sister, we’re doing everything we can.” The bright green, serpentine eye looked up at Celestia but Nightmare did not have the strength to make words. Instead she lay there trembling while the medical staff fussed over her.

It was over an hour before any semblance of peace returned to the room where Nightmare was being kept. They’d pulled bad feathers, lots of them, from her wings. They’d chopped off more of her mane. They’d set up an IV, they’d taken damp rags to her face, her marehood, and other places that needed to be checked for infection. They didn’t brush or clean her just yet, they’d wanted to get the most important stuff out of the way first. When she was stable, she could be bathed. All the while Celestia and Twilight looked on and silently fretted. Finally, while the nurses were hauling out the dirty rags, blood samples, wads of knotted hair, and other things—there was quiet.

The doctor called Heart Starter returned with a pan and a small stack of damp rags. “Er, we usually let family do this bit, if you like?” he asked the Princess. Celestia peered into the shallow pan. It looked like it was filled with some sort of… juice? Medicine? It smelled sweet, but it was hard to tell. “This is juice, vitamins, and a few other things she desperately needs.” The unicorn stallion levitated the pan and rags to Celestia’s hooves. “Dip the rags, and let her suck what she can from them. She’s too weak for even normal drinking practices right now. I’m afraid the system shock of a lot of anything would really hurt her. We’re taking baby steps.” He said seriously.

“Yes of course, doctor.” Celestia nodded. Lighting her horn, she went and approached the bedside. The doctor bowed, posted a nurse in the doorway, nodded to Twilight, and then politely stepped out.

The alicorn and the unicorn stepped forward with some caution, leaning over the bed. Twilight held the little pan in her hooves, rearing up so she could see better. Using her magic, Celestia dipped the first soft rag into the strange, sweet-smelling mixture until it was soaked. Wringing it out, she leaned over her very still sister. “Nightmare?” Celestia whispered tenderly, concerned etched on her brow like a hieroglyph. There was a mild facial twitch, but little else. The starved, weakened alicorn made no other response. Twilight nodded encouragingly to her mentor, and Celestia moved closer. Getting halfway up onto the bed, she leaned quietly over her sibling’s face. “Sister, it’s me… we’re doing what we can to get your strength back.” She moved the rag under Nightmare Moon’s nose, letting her breathe for a bit to get the sweet smell. “The doctor’s say this… juice, will help.” Celestia named it juice since it contained quite a bit else, and that sounded the friendliest. Leaning with the gentlest of hooves, she parted her sister’s lips a bit and pressed part of the rag against her mouth. Making sure she could breathe through her nose, she pressed a bit. Nightmare got the idea immediately, and began to suckle on the damp rag like a foal at mother’s teat.

The Princess of the Night’s eyes fluttered and she looked dully up at Celestia and Twilight. There was little comprehension in her eyes, but she did suck the juice out of the rag as best she could. Celestia dipped it in the pan again, wringing it out a little less thoroughly. Nightmare Moon’s lips dribbled with the sweet liquid, and her tongue worked a little more animatedly after a while. Her fangs would sink into the fabric, ripping it a bit to get at the juice faster. More intelligence began to glitter in her eyes over time. After an hour or so, the pan was looking close to empty.

“Should we go ask for more?” Twilight wanted to know.

“The doctor said she can’t have a lot of anything right now, this was probably all she was meant to have.” said Celestia softly, using magic to wring out all the rags and get one more dip of the stuff for her sister. Nightmare suckled more eagerly, though she could still barely move otherwise. Seeing her throat try to work itself when she swallowed was just heart-wrenching for both mares that were watching over her. She panted a little after she’d gotten the last few drops that she could out of the rag. Twilight couldn’t help but stare at the poor mare’s jutting ribs, trying to be brave and put on a smile. Celestia saw Nightmare appraising Twilight silently with her eyes. “Sister, this is Twilight Sparkle. She is my protégé, and a very gifted magic-user.” Celestia made one-sided conversation to ease the misery in the room.

“Nice to meet you, at last.” Twilight said softly, making sure Nightmare could see her smile. “We’ve been waiting a long time, looking forward to when you’d come home.” The purple mare’s cheeks lifted a bit more. “I’ve heard such wonderful stories about you, I’m so glad you’re back.” She bubbled just a little, then tried to calm herself with wilted ears. “S-sorry…”

“Don’t worry Twilight, I’m sure my sister is glad to have subjects that want to see her so badly.” Celestia put in. Nightmare’s eyes lidded, her eyebrows bunching up just a little bit. It was a distressed expression, for she was looking away. “You’ve been dearly missed, little sister…” Celestia went soft in the eyes after a few moments, leaning down to quietly brush her muzzle against her sister’s cheek.

Twilight took the hint and gathered up the pan and rags. “I’ll be back in a bit. I’ll ask the doctors what else we can do in the meantime, Princess…es.” She added the plural with an innocent and joyful smile that made Celestia chuckle just a little. Twilight left and quietly shut the door, having the nurse stand outside as well.

Celestia turned her great head back around to look down at Nightmare Moon. “H’oh Nightie…” she whispered quietly, lowering her head with a quiet, feminine sound of distress. “We’ll get you back on your hooves, I promise. All of Equestria is waiting with open arms, I swear to you…” her muzzle was at her sister’s ear while she was quietly nuzzling her. “I didn’t let them villanize you, I made sure they remembered you—oh Nightie…” the solar princess mewled softly, overcome with emotion now that they were alone at last. She wilted down until her solar-wind-blown mane fell over the dark alicorn like a warm blanket. Nightmare let out of a pleasant sigh, closing her eyes comfortably. The white alicorn lay there with her head by her beloved sister’s for over and hour, occasionally stopping to nibble her ear or offer some other quiet comfort. Just to make sure her sister knew she was there. Nightmare rested quietly, her bright green eyes peering about now and then before they closed to rest. After a time, her lips were moving. Celestia felt the light vibration of sound on her chest, and lifted her head. “What? What is it?” she leaned and lowered her ear quietly to her sister’s mouth.

“T…tides.”

“Tide?” Celestia whispered in quiet confusion. Nightmare gave a tiny little guttural breath, and Celestia held her tongue so she could hear the tender whispers better. Her thundering heart didn’t help, though.

T-tides… crops… frost… and trees.” Nightmare Moon finally got the words out with much effort, quiet and reedy. Her voice was like a quiet wisp of breeze between broken bamboo stalks. It was a lot of strain and she quietly panted afterword. Celestia didn’t understand, pulling her head back to look at her sister curiously.

“Don’t strain yourself too much.” Celestia whispered, leaning to quietly nuzzle her sister again. Nightmare Moon’s jowls rose up a bit to display her fangs. Her ears turned back. Her annoyed face. Celestia turned her ears back. “Fine, but please save your strength?” she begged softly. “You’re so weak sister, I don’t want your to hurt yourself…” she kissed her sister’s face again, and quietly leaned down to put her ear to Nightmare’s mouth again.

“Night time eternal… bad… for tides… crops… frost… and trees.” Nightmare managed after a lot of effort. When she was done speaking, she turned her head to one side and quite suddenly fell asleep. Celestia rose from her leaning position, tears brimming over her eyes and going down her cheeks.

“H’oh, sister…” she whispered, leaning down to gingerly embrace her again while she slept. She gently stroked the mare’s cheek, gaunt and boney though it was, over and over. She couldn’t stop touching her little sister, couldn’t stop loving on her and thanking Faust above she’d come home at last. She prayed it wasn’t a dream. She’d waited so, so long with regret in her heart for locking her sister on the moon. Of course she would come home damaged. A wave of guilt hit Celestia and, making sure the room’s door was locked, she quietly wept over her sister’s prone body.


=-----=-----=-----=-----=
The Next Day…
=-----=-----=-----=-----=


Twilight Sparkle headed down one of the grand halls of the palace, a snap in her step since she was on royal business. Guards saluted her as she went by, officials made way for her—but there was one that watched her from the shadow of a rising column. She almost didn’t see him before he practically sprang out of the shade into her path. “Good afternoon, Twilight Sparkle.” It was Prince Blueblood, ever eager for Twilight’s attention.

Oh n—er, hello Prince Blueblood.” said Twilight politely, adjusting her course so she could go around him and not stop for conversation. Walking with her head held high and her eyes closed as not to look at him, she almost staggered when he sauntered up to her, shoulder to shoulder. “Do you mind? I’m busy.” She told him with a frown.

“Of course not, Twilight, I’ve always got time for you.” He winked flirtatiously. Twilight fought down a shudder. The white with blonde mane stallion had about as much subtlety as a baton to the face, and he wasn’t ashamed of it. Tossing his perfectly groomed mane a bit, he matched her pace. “I heard that Princess Nightmare Moon returned last night, how is she?” he asked conversationally.

“She’s very sick, Blueblood. She’s in the medical wing, and so is Princess Celestia.” Twilight said a little shortly. The stallion perked a little. If Celestia’s gaze was elsewhere, this was a prime time to flirt and make advances. Who was of higher station than her Majesty’s protégé, after all? Why, a pairing between the two of them would be positively gorgeous. And imagine the foals, oh-hoh, powerful as her and beautiful as he! Mhh!

“You know Twilight, I was thinking perhaps we might find something to do together sometime.” He offered with an eyebrow-wiggling smile. “I mean, you are in the palace a lot and I have a bit of royalty in my pedigree…” he let the sentence hang for a few moments when she didn’t respond. “Perhaps we might… er… study together, sometime?” it was a lame, obvious shot in the dark and Twilight was NOT amused.

“I don’t think so, Prince Blueblood.” Twilight said, looking at him sideways with a frown. She caught him looking past her cutie mark and her face went a little red. “HEY! Eyes up here.” She stopped to snap at him rather boldly. The nearest posted guard turned his head at the tone of her voice.

Blueblood backed up, coughing loudly like he’d suddenly gotten a bug in his throat. Embarrassed at being called out so openly, he straightened his cuffs a little. “Er well, I hope you’ll think on it a bit. I think we could learn a lot together, since you’re studying magic in all fields.” He offered his friendliest smile, but Twilight Sparkle was not stupid. She knew where his mind was, and it wasn’t with Starswirl the Bearded and the other philosophers of the olden times.

“See you later.” Twilight said stiffly, cantering forward at a faster pace now that he’d finally stopped.

The greedy prince’s eyes followed the back and forth of her haunches, and a glimmering grin crossed his devilishly handsome face. If only a fly would land on her and her tail would flick to one side for just an instant. Mhhh-hm-hm-hm. Such a feisty mare! He could see why Celestia had chosen her. Powerful in mind, magic, and personality. He only wanted her more. “Mhmhm, Twilight Sparkle…” he tasted her name under his breath, smiling on only one side of his mouth. Twilight could feel his eyes on her rump and turned the corner quickly to be away from him. She let out the carefully controlled shudder as well. Creepy little Princeling. He may have had Celestia’s blood somewhere in his distant ancestry, but he was certainly nothing like her. Creepy, creepy, creepy…

Twilight finally came to the throne room, where a rather tense Princess Celestia was holding court between two arguing stallions. Her face was a mask of patience, for both were shouting over each other. “Ah, Twilight Sparkle.” Her face brightened a bit when she saw the purple mare enter. “Perhaps your wisdom would help us in this case.” Her eyes glittered with alicorn mischief.

“Uh?” Twilight blushed a little when several court officials and the two stallions looked her way. She froze in the doorway, caught off guard. Her Princess liked to jump her with pop quizzes like this now and then, to keep her on her proverbial toes. The purple mare cleared her throat. “Y-yes of course Princess.” She bowed. “What’s the problem?”

“This stallion is suing this one over lost supplies. He designated a ship to take them to a coastal island, but it sank.” Celestia said sagely. “He claims that he designated another ship, but the two ships shared the same name. H.M.S. Larago.” She gestured gently to the easels that had visual aids on them. One had a picture of a new-looking ship on it, the other with an old clunky one. Twilight understood the old clunky one had sunk, taking all the supplies with it. “So, my protégé? Who is to take responsibility here? The owner of the supplies, or the mover of the supplies?” she gestured to each stallion in turn.

Twilight thought for a moment, going through her half-decent knowledge of Equestrian trade law. “The owner.” She said carefully. “If he started a contract naming a specific ship, and there were two ships of the same name, he is obligated to specify which H.M.S. Larago he was talking about when striking the deal.” She tried to make it sound official and well-thought out.

Celestia nodded with an amused smile. “Very good, Twilight. You are correct.” Said the Princess. “And with that I pass judgement.” She tapped her gilded hoof twice. “Your mover has no obligation to pay you, I’m afraid. The integrity of the ship is not his responsibility if you named it in your contract and did not specify between two vessels. I am sorry, my little pony.” She smiled in a sad, but kind, way. The stallion looked heart-broken, out so much money and business, but he dared not argue with his goddess. He hung his head, and both stallions were dismissed. “And with that, I conclude the Noon Day Court for today.” Celestia announced with a bob of her head and three loud taps of a hoof on her dais. Ponies began to mill about to clean up for the day, storing papers and making sure records were kept correctly. With her guards flanking her, the solar alicorn swept down the throne platform steps to Twilight. “Come Twilight, we’ll visit my sister again.” she said cheerfully. It was easy for Twilight to see Celestia hadn’t wanted to leave the bedside at all, but it wasn’t as though she could stop being a Princess and let the country run itself. It didn’t work that way.

They traveled quickly and quietly to the medical wing, stopped by nopony and given a wide berth. It was odd to see Celestia walking quickly. The solar goddess never ran anywhere at all, but walking quickly was certainly unusual. Twilight could smell her eagerness and worry. When they arrived in the medical wing, the Day Princess made a beeline for Nightmare Moon’s room.

“*Huhhhhh*…. *huhhhh*…” Nightmare was laying on her side, eyes glassily open and a plastic oxygen mask over her muzzle. Celestia’s eyes widened, but a nurse rushed forward before she panicked.

“Oh, Princess Celestia! Everything’s fine, don’t worry.” She chuckled a little. “That’s just to make sure she gets clean, full breaths while she’s laying there on her side. She’s no worse than when you left her last, I promise.” She offered a winning smile, and thankfully Celestia relaxed a bit. “I’ll let you alone.” She bowed and made for the door.

“I hope you’re feeling a little better, sister?” Celestia approached and sat on a little stool by the bed, on her haunches. Twilight came up beside her, offering a smile as well. Nightmare did not respond, but her eyes moved up to take both mares in. She blinked a few times, and they noticed her gaze was a little sharper than before. She understood there were ponies in the room talking to her now. She worked her lips a little

“Hhhhhh….. hhhhh….hi…” Nightmare said softly, barely audible through her oxygen mask.

Celestia and Twilight both felt their hearts quiver with pity, but both held themselves up for Nightmare’s sake. The white alicorn looked over at her student, who nodded and flipped open her saddlebags. “I know you were always more into mathematics, sister, but I brought you something useful today.” The dark alicorn watched as a thick tome floated out into view and flipped open.

“Equestria’s history, starting on the day you… uhm… left.” said Twilight with a careful smile. She cleared her throat a little bit, offering Celestia a brush from the saddlebag as well. They’d smuggled it in to groom Nightmare Moon a bit. The Princess took it in her magical aura and went around to the other side of the bed, behind her sister. Nightmare’s eyes tried to follow and she turned her head just a little. “Don’t worry, we’re gonna take good care of you.” The purple mare said in a friendly way.

Celestia leaned down with the soft brush and gently, oh so gently, began to run it through her sister’s mane. Or, what was left of it after the medical staff had lopped most of it off with fabric scissors. Nightmare closed her eyes to rest them for a bit while Twilight began to read aloud to her and Celestia brushed her. She gurgled a quiet little purring sound under her plastic oxygen mask. It felt nice to be fussed over, it really did.



End of Part 1