• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 1,688 Views, 60 Comments

Visitor from Another World - Novus Ordo Seclorum



A physicist from Earth figures out how to travel to the fictional realm.

  • ...
1
 60
 1,688

Chapter 6: Perytonic Ambush

Chapter 6

Perytonic Ambush

“Oh my God.”

Twilight moaned and tried to fall back asleep.

“Twilight! Wake up!”

With a jolt, Twilight snapped her eyes open. She glanced around and was mildly confused that she was not in her bed at the library, but lying on the ground near Dr. Drake’s now-demolished hut.

She tried to stand up, and her skull immediately pulsed with pain. She slumped back to the ground and mumbled, “Oh, my head feels like it’s about to explode! Although, technically, a headache cannot literally cause one’s head to explode, but rather—”

“Yes, yes, I am quite aware of how a headache works. I had many when I was a kid, after all.” He paused. “I don’t think this is a headache, though, I think it’s a concussion.”

“A con cuss—ow!” Twilight attempted to say as another wave of pain hit her head.

“Don’t try to move, it’ll only make it worse.” Dr. Drake stood back, hands on hips. “You’re lucky it’s only mild. That crash had the potential to give you permanent brain damage. Wait here; I should have some ice in my hut.”
He turned around and immediately froze. “Twilight.”

“What is it?”

“What do you know about perytons?”

“Uhm…they’re creatures that are hybrids of elk and eagles, are viscous predators, and are attracted to chaos magic. Why do you ask?”

“What would you do if I told you that there are four angry-looking perytons on their way to our current position?”

“Uh…panic?”

“Then there aren’t four angry-looking perytons on their way to our current position. Don’t move.”

He disappeared from Twilight’s field of vision, giving her a clear view of four angry-looking perytons on their way to her current position. She realized that her earlier statement was, in fact, false; she didn’t have the energy to do anything but just lie there, hoping the perytons didn’t spot her.

Her hope was in vain; the leader of the peryton flock let out a screech and swooped down to pick her up. She closed her eyes and regretted that she wouldn’t live long enough to help the good-natured physicist get home.

A bolt of white plasma struck the peryton when it was inches away from Twilight, knocking it to the ground. The other perytons, poised to strike, paused at the display of power.

“Back off,” Dr. Drake growled as he planted a single rubber boot on the downed peryton. “Back off, or this one gets it!”
The perytons paused, as if they were actually considering it. Then, one of them screeched and dove, talons and hooves outstretched, toward Twilight.

“Oh no you don’t!” Dr. Drake shouted, and cranked the object in his hand up to full power. Another bolt shot from the object, even brighter this time. Twilight tasted ozone as the winged menace was struck full on by the high-amperage electricity. Within seconds, it had been reduced to a fine black powder.

The other two perytons, realizing what they were dealing with, screeched in unison and flew away. Their leader struggled to get off the ground, but Dr. Drake slammed its skull with the metal weapon, knocking it out cold.

He walked over to Twilight. “I’d better get you somewhere safe before more perytons get here. Sorry you had to see that.”

“Why…you…kill…?”

“Well, it was about to do something horrible to you. What was I supposed to do?”

“Where…you…go…?”

“I’m going to see if Fluttershy can do something about this annoying peryton.” He checked the power left on the strange device. “Damn, this thing took hours to charge, and now it’s all out.”

“How…perytons…chaos magic….”

“Yes, that is strange,” Dr. Drake admitted. “I had always thought that only Harmony magic could counteract chaos. Hmmm…. You say perytons are creatures of chaos?”

Twilight grunted in the affirmative; she had no energy to do anything more.

“Electricity, is very orderly…that’s how it gets energy, by ionizing the particles in the air, producing an electromagnetic field…. Whatever the reason, one thing’s for certain.” He looked Twilight dead in the face.

“I know how I can save Pinkie Pie.”