• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 1,692 Views, 60 Comments

Visitor from Another World - Novus Ordo Seclorum



A physicist from Earth figures out how to travel to the fictional realm.

  • ...
1
 60
 1,692

Chapter 11: Meanwhile, Elsewhere

Chapter 11

Meanwhile, Elsewhere

“You did what?”

Lieutenant Commander Carmichael winced at the ferocity directed at his superior officer. They had just filed their report to the Director, and the Director was highly displeased.

The Director, in appearance, was every bit as immaculate as the former army general he claimed to be. He was of average height, with a close-cropped black hair and a crisp, three-piece suit. He had piercing blue eyes that made you feel like the deepest secrets of your soul were being pulled under a microscope, analyzed, processed, filed away for future use. The Director ran the place like an army, even going as far as to assign army titles to his subordinates.

And the Director was a man you did not want to cross.

Commander Johnson shuffled uncomfortably under the Director’s glare. “Uh…we, uh…blew the lab up, sir.”

Johnson’s head reeled as the Director backhanded him. “You imbecile! You had one job: bring me the Traveler. Kill the scientist, if you must, but bring the Traveler here.

“And you destroyed it!” The Director’s fury seemed to know no bounds. The slightly portly Johnson winced at the Director’s tirade.

The Director shot his hand out and grabbed Johnson’s lapels. He yanked the profusely sweating officer in until their faces were inches apart. His voice dropped to a deadly whisper. “Commander, you have failed.”

With that, the Director shoved Johnson into a row of guards, who immediately restrained his arms. The director snarled, “I relieve you of duty. Take him to the Chamber!”

Johnson’s eyes bugged out as the guards began marching him down the hall. “No, please, not the Chamber! No…!” He continued to scream until he was too far away to be heard.

Carmichael merely stood and watched, and felt a grudging sorrow for his former superior. He knew all too well what happened in the Chamber; he used to shudder at the thought of it.

“Lt. Commander Carmichael!” the Director snapped.

“Yes, sir!” Carmichael replied without delay.

“You have one sentence to save yourself. Now!”

Carmichael had expected something like this. If he could not come up one sentence that would appease the Director, he would suffer the same fate as Johnson. He had prepared for this.

“We found a black box, and it contained the blueprints for the device, sir.”

The Director stared at Carmichael with that icy, piercing gaze, for an uncomfortably long period of time, as if discerning whether the inferior was telling the truth. Carmichael matched the glare.

Finally, the Director nodded, and said, “I hereby promote you to Commander. Take these blueprints to Smith, and for God’s sake, get me that goddamned device!” The Director spun around, waving his hand to dismiss Carmichael.

Carmichael had never walked so fast in his life.

Author's Note:

Bet you didn't see that coming.