• Published 31st Dec 2011
  • 23,042 Views, 234 Comments

The Three Whooves - Paleo Prints



Lost in time, Doctor Whooves' family must rely on his past and future selves for help!

  • ...
9
 234
 23,042

The Edge of Destruction

The Three Hooves
By Paleo Prints
Chapter Three: The Edge of Destruction

A happier time, just outside the magical land of Equestria

The doors of the TARDIS flung open as the teen pegasus slammed through. She dropped her groaning baggage before veering off to the side, narrowly missing the console controls. Having been unceremonious deposited on the floor, the brown Time Charger masquerading as an earth pony flicked a small device out of his trench coat. Aiming unsteadily at the doors, they shut just as a large crowd of faceless white things lunged at the opening.

Ditzy pulled herself out of the heap she landed in. Scuffed up, out of breath, and narrowly having escaped death, the young mare started flying in circles. “That was AWESOME, Doctor! Can we go back?”

The pony that would one day be called ‘John Smith’ shook his head. “Those dress dolls want to use us as accessories, Miss Doo. It’s better to let the explosives take their course.”

A nervous look crossed his companion’s face. “If they’re still out there, does that mean Madame Rarity is alfalfa orange gutter ball?”

The Doctor smiled and pretended not to hear the aphasic slip. She’s cute when she’s worried.

“No problems, Ditzy. Seconds after we left the consciousness would have been destroyed. Our elderly seamstress friend can go back to enjoying her twilight years.” He waved his sonic screwdriver reproachfully like a teacher gesturing with chalk. “And what is the protocol for our return, Miss Doo?”

Rolling her eyes in opposite directions, the ebullient filly sighed. “’Never tell people their future.’
Don’t worry, Rarity’s still in Miss Scribbles’ class in the schoolhouse. I don’t see her often, and I won’t spill the beans about her older self and the killer mannequins.” She trotted a few steeped forward and placed her hooves on the Doctor’s collar and pulled.

The surprised traveler suddenly blushed. “Miss Doo, please stop strangling me!”

The focused filly continued to rear up on her back legs, leaning onto the Doctor. “You can’t play teacher without a straight tie, silly!” She stuck her tongue out of the side of her mouth, her eyes both nearly straightening in concentration.

The ancient stallion sighed in exasperation. He let his gaze play over Ditzy’s focused stare and the pink tip that protruded from the edge of her smile. In the silence of the TARDIS he listened to her breath for a minute. Finally, his companion dropped back down onto her hooves.

“There you go, Doctor! Doesn’t it feel better to look sharp? Don’t you want to impress those Time Charger girlfriends?” Her quizzical eyes searched for a reaction.

He nervously scratched the back of his head. “There’s really not a Time Charger girlfriend.” He pretended not to notice Ditzy’s tiny clop in triumph. “Not really any other Time Chargers, actually. Well, there’s him. He’s another. Definitely other.”

His companion clapped even more excitedly. “Can we meet him, Doctor?”

She saw the apprehensive look of fear that passed over the pensive pony’s face. He suddenly smiled, quickly changing the subject. “Why don’t you head home for a while? I’m sure your folks would love to know that you didn’t run away.” He nodded as he walked over to the doors of the TARDIS, revealing the edge of Ponyville as he slowly pulled them open.

Ditzy frowned, guilt in her eyes. Suddenly putting on an assertive face, she gave a snort of affront. “Doctor, are you going to forget about me again? It was seven months between our last two adventures! You used to come a lot more frequently when I was younger.” She cocked her head quizzically. “I’m not trouble for you, am I Doctor?”

You have no idea. “I just need to do some repairs. Fix a few servos. Look up on some old friends.” He tried a reassuring smile. “I’ve never let you down yet, have I?”

His companion giggled as she walked out. “You missed my birthday by a year, once.”

Affronted, the Doctor assumed a knowing stare. “Thus, I was on time for your next one! Good day, Miss Doo!” She waved back to him as he closed the door. His vision flitted to the view screen, where Ditzy still waved at the closed door. After a few moments, he noticed her brow knit in confusion.

“That’s right! Leaving involves going somewhere!” Hooves played quickly over the mismatched console, the familiar sound of dematerialization filling his ears.

Within moments all activity inside the TARDIS ceased. The lone occupant stood in his own thoughts for a second. Languidly pacing to the door, he flung it open, revealing a frosty cloud of dust and ice as the TARDIS spun inside a gas giant’s ring.

He sat on his haunches for what seemed like hours. Minor moons spun swiftly along their orbits several times before a noise from the machinery stirred the still figure from the floor. Returning to the console, he flicked a lever near a blinking red light. A holographic recording materialized inside the console room as a bespectacled mare addressed an unseen figure.

“Doctor, I hope this message finds you well. This is the Senior Clone Sister of the Lady Librarians of Nubilon 12. I’m reminding you of your promise to visit us again someday.” She smiled demurely. “Please contact us when you receive my message.”

A slight hoof motion turned off the image. Silently and mechanically, the weary traveler plotted a course. A concealed excitement bubbled up as he threw the controls with gusto. As the materialization circuit sound, the TARDIS was carried through the time vortex toward its destination.

The excited immortal ran to the door like a present-hunting child on Hearth’s Warming Eve. He tentatively reached for the door before freezing. Suddenly straightening himself, he flicked one side of his collar upwards as he jerked his scarlet necktie off-kilter.

The doors opened on their own, revealing a placid grassy lawn whose single excited occupant bounded towards the door. The Doctor’s stoic calm crumpled as he saw the prospective passenger approach.

“Well now, Miss Doo! Where shall we go this time? Past, future, another planet perhaps? The wonders of the universe are yours to bl-flrpmh!”

The welcoming wanderer suddenly found himself pinned to the ground. An angry grey pegasus stared at him with bouncing eyes. He swallowed nervously. “Dear Ditzy, is there a problem?”

An older-than-expected voice dripped with disappointment. “You’ve been gone for over a year, Doctor! I graduated school while you were gone! I thought that you had empty silent muffin somewhere!”

“Um…” He gave as penitent a smile as he could. “Sorry?”

She gave a triumphant ‘hmph,’ her smile instantly reappearing. “Doctor, your tie is messed up again!” She furrowed her brow as a tiny bit of pink flashed out of her mouth. “Don’t you ever remember what I tell you?”

He gave a breath of relaxation as she worked on his collar. “I always do, Ditzy.”


In the final few hours of the magical land of Equestria...

The young child pony hot trails of tears. Every drop that fell made the Doctor step almost imperceptibly back.

“What...what do you mean that I'm...?”

Picket took a tentative step forward. As Dinky moved to comfort him her mother held her tightly in place.

“I’m sorry, Picket,” explained ‘John Smith’ with sad eyes. “You're not a pony. You're a sentient matrix made of ancient weapons-grade bio-disassemblers. You’re not real.”

Dinky bucked her father hard in the side.

“Ow! What was that for?”

The young unicorn puffed indignantly. “He’s got a daddy! He likes astronomy and feels lonely and a bunch of other stuff. He’s a real pony!”

“Dinky, Dinky, Dinky. Sometimes I think being your father is a reward from the universe.” The Doctor sighed. “Okay, I’m convinced. He’s real. My daughter has very good judgment, boy.” He waggled a hoof in the terrified filly’s face. “Always listen to remember to her.” He scratched his chin. “Or something like that. Similar. –Ish.”

A purple tendril shattered the boarded-up upstairs window into splinters. The fragments didn't rain onto the ponies below. The irregular limb absorbed the pieces of wood into its own mass as it started feeling around its area.

Ditzy looked up. “Doctor, you know I love the quiet moments in-between the running. It's running time now, and I don't know where to go.” Her tender hoof caressed Dinky's mane. “Your daughter and I would really appreciate your full attention.”

Dinky slid a step closer to her mother. “The barns not going to hold, is it Mummy?”

Ditzy shivered. “Of course, dear. It’s a sentient alien bioweapon, it’s terrified of wood.” As Dinky looked confused, her mother managed an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry about the snark, but you know how I hate being called someone’s ‘mummy.’ Bad memories.”

She leaned down to Dinky. Ditzy had the same smile one she used to announce a picnic. “No one is going to hurt my family while your father is around. I swear to bald dumbo rat.”

Dinky looked at her mother worriedly. She had never let her mother realize how often Sparkler and she noticed her mother's 'attacks.' She looked at her father pleadingly. John Smith gave her a conspiratorial wink. She smiled.

John Smith turned on his wife as other tentacles of Smooze battered their way into the building. “Ditzy my love, do you trust me? The way you trusted me against the Nimon?” He blinked. “That was a daft plan, now that I think on it.”

Ditzy Doo-Smith ran up to her husband and kissed him lingeringly. She reluctantly pulled away and put on a brave face. “Forget the monsters. I trust you to raise our children, John. I trust you to the end of the world.” She gave a tearful grin. “Again, I mean.”

“Ew!” Dinky cringed. “Mom? Dad? Can we please have less of the kissy-face in front of my friends?”

John paused. “Okay, then. Well, do I trust myself?” After a second, he nodded. “Sure, let's go with that.” He extended his hoof to Picket as the building shook. “Put her there, son!”

Picket looked at the hoof in horror. “But...but...you said I'm a sapibionethikally....thingy.”

The Doctor nodded. “The weapon-masters of a dozen galaxies would describe you as a monstrosity that eats anything it touches without care or choice. The Bellmasters of Tambelon called you ‘the Enveloping Purifier.’ My daughter says you're her friend. Who do you think I believe?”

Picket wiped the tears out of his eyes. “If I touch you...”

The Doctor kept smiling as he threw a limb around his family, pulling them close. “Then you’ll save Dinky and her family. Me included, so I rather like that part. You’re unique and amazing, Picket. There’s never been anything like you, and it’s time to shine, lad.”

The young colt nodded, and extended a limb. At first it only touched John Smith’s hoof, but it started to crawl around the arm. Picket’s mass desolidified and climbed up and around the framework of the Doctor’s body. As the sludge started to pour over Ditzy, she carefully leaned down and kissed Dinky’s forehead. Dinky saw her mother’s smile obscured by the purple sludge and flow down towards her as the stone foundations of the building cracked. She swallowed as her vision went dark.

When the stone roof was finally torn off of the building, there was a purple mass of Smooze in the middle of the floor. It began slowly oozing towards the exit as other masses of sentient bio-weapon scoured the ruins.

The smaller lump of sludge pulled itself towards a recently-punched opening in the wall before a larger lump superimposed itself in front of the exit. An irregular mouth formed around the top of the opening, and screamed with force at the smaller lump.

“Blaggle-argle. ruOOOOOAR!” Bits of the ooze splattered everywhere.

A smaller, paradoxically pony-like mouth formed on the front of the smaller lump. “No, Mrs. Curtains. I haven’t seen them.

“skWEE-AAAARGh-geeel.”

“Yes, I’ll be sure to give your invitation to my father.”

“SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORnkkkeeeee.”

“And dissolve and consume all who stand in our way.”

“Skwee.” A tendril from the bigger mass stretched itself outwards and patted the smaller one. The bigger ooze crawled into the middle of the building, allowing ‘Picket’ to pass.

Once inside the concealing forest the mass collapsed, opening from the top like a flower. Three gasping ponies fell onto the floor. As they struggled to stand the thinly spread purple puddle coalesced back into a quivering Picket.

“I feel bad,” the young pony said.

John Smith shook his head clear as Ditzy silently went to the task of straightening his tie. He spared a second to give her a silent, contented look. Turning to Picket, he congratulated the colt, “Well, me lad, you’ve overrode with willpower a behavioral imperative written into your genetic code. That’s got to take a bit out of you.”

Picket kept sniffing. “I don’t think that stuff you said is it. I didn’t want to lie to Mrs. Curtain. She’s always been nice to me.”

As the young boy blubbered, John Smith rejoiced. “Aha! See that, Dinky! That’s a disproportionate sense of guilt heightened by social connections. Dead right you are, my wonderfully filly. This boy is a pony through and through!” He suddenly grabbed both of Picket’s front hooves and spun around him in dance. The tearful boy started nervously giggling.

Dinky surveyed the edge of the town. She nervously whispered to her mother. “Is this really the right time for Dad to start celebrating?”

“Little Muffin,” Ditzy sighed with a smile. “Your father’s spent nine centuries telling living weapons created to slaughter innocents that they could be better than they are.” She turned to stare at the dancing madpony she was lucky enough to marry. “Let him treasure his successes.”


John Smith’s later incarnation snuck down the streets of Violet Springs, carefully reassuring himself after every few steps that his top hat was in place. Behind him Ripple was quietly consoling Sparkler.

“Come on, luv!” Pond flashed a well-acted smile at the worried teen. “Yer Dad’s the Doctor. How much trouble could he get into?”

The teen gave a nervous glance towards the edge of town. The unearthly roars had yet to cease.

Top Hat imposed himself between the two fillies. “Bad choice of words, Pond. Trouble! Yes dear, your Dad may be in trouble. Listening to that screaming.” His eyes sparkled. “What do you notice about it?”

Sparkler sniffed as she listened. She shook her head. “I am hearing no difference in the soundings of the beasts.”

The Doctor grinned. “Exactly! If they had caught him by now, they wouldn’t be so mad.” He smiled as he drew a giggle from the teen. He pulled her in close, scratching Sparkler behind her ears.

“You are funny, Doctor. My father always is scratching like that to calming me down.”

Ripple noticed a faraway expression in the Doctor’s face. She indignantly dragged him off. Bereft of dignity, Top Hat fell into a pile at her feet. He grinned sheepishly as he looked into her angry face.

“I was doing something, wasn’t I Ripple?”

A classically red Coltish mane bounced up and down in indignation. “Ye’ve got no right to play with her like that, Doctor. Either you pretend to be a stranger or ye don’t, but the poor lassie will get weird signals otherwise.”

Sparkler crept into the conversation stealthily. “What are you hiding, Mister Doctor?”

The surprised Time Charger leapt to attention. His flailing hoof knocked over a large lumber saw leaning against the wall. All three ponies stared at it in shock, waiting for the inevitable ringing sound to draw back one of the monsters.

It never did. The saw levitated a few inches off of the ground, surrounded by a white glow. An irritated blue unicorn in dandified garb stepped out of the shadows, his horn glowing with an identical color. The Unit Adviser clicked his tongue in irritation.

Top Hat threw out a hoof at the other Doctor’s shining horn as he whispered to his companions. “I loved that horn, Ripple. Useful. Versatile.” He frowned. “Still waiting for wings, though.” He spun to face Pond. “Imagine me with wings!”

She breathed out slowly. “All right you old goofball, let’s be quiet.”

The horned Doctor damped his magical light. “Of course, my dear,” he whispered. “Savory, please return that saw to some place unassuming in case they’re tracking us.”

As Top Hat stood up, Ripple leaned to whisper into his ear. “If you ever order me around like a servant, so help me…”

She stopped as her Doctor shushed her. She clapped her hoof over her mouth. Both Doctors nodded in pleasure at the sight.

“Good,” the distinguished unicorn said approvingly. “Now that we’ve settled that, let’s deal with the threat of the bio-weapon.”

Top Hat waved his limbs in the air. “Yes,” he whispered loudly. “Smooze! Can you believe it? Classic, that is! I can’t believe I didn’t think of it first.” He did a little dance step as realization filled him. “We’re in Violet Springs, Ripple! What other liquid could flow from a Violet Spring?”

Miss Savory walked up to her Doctor. “I don’t understand something,” she admitted to the aged blue stallion. “It’s some kind of alien, right?”

He shook his head. “Not at all. This bioweapon was designed right here in Equestria. It’s a long story, but suffice it to say the Smooze is the reason your little planet gets so few friendly visitors. For the next six centuries the rational part of the galactic community will treat this little mud ball as if it’s under a high quarantine. No one wants to risk bringing a single atom of it back to their homeworld.”

He leaned forward sympathetically. “That’s why all the visitors I help UNIT deal with tend to be maladjusted, sociopathic risk-takers. Give it a few centuries and galactic tourism should pick up.”

Ripple rolled her eyes dramatically. “He must love that one. She asks all the right questions to make him look smart.” She whispered an imitation of a more clipped Trottingham accent. “Doctor, what’s that? Explain it in small words please, while I bat my perfect eyelashes.”

Savory snorted. She turned with indignation to her UNIT Advisor. “Perhaps we should drop the civilians off at a babysitter, Doctor?” She looked at Ripple and Sparkler as she continued in a stage whisper. “It might be past their bed time.”

The two Doctors gave each other a suffering look. Top Hat grimaced. “This always happens when you get two of them together.”

The Adviser shrugged. “I’ll take your word for it, Old Boy.”

Savory raised her hand, curious despite the threat of looming discovery. “Doctor, why do you call him ‘old’? He’s obviously younger than you.”

He grinned. “Actually my dear, that ‘young earth pony’ is over three times my age by my estimate. I’m his younger self”

Top Hat snorted. “No need to rub it in.”

Sparkler approached with a thoughtful look on her face. “Shouldn’t we be worried about the monsters?” She cast nervous glances at the surrounding shadows.

Both Time Chargers waved off the concern in a disturbingly similar gesture. “No,” they chimed in at once. They both started to explain at once, and then clammed up as they stared at each other. The blue unicorn bowed to Top Hat. “You first, Old Boy. Age before beauty, and all that.”

Top Hat sighed. “Too much of the mass is searching that side of the river to control any of the unintelligent Smooze constructs around here. We won’t have to run from anymore benches for the moment.”

Ripple stared at the two Doctors. “Why in Celestia’s name are we whispering, then?”

Top Hat placed a hoof in front of his mouth, and then moved it. “Shhh. It’s traditional.”

Ripple was stunned. She looked at the UNIT Advisor. “That can’t be it. You had a good reason, right Doctor?”

The gentlestallion shrugged with a smile. “It really is kind of tradition.”

Savory swore she almost saw steam pour out of Ripple Pond’s ears as the young filly ranted. “And here I go thinking you two were somehow different! If you were cities you’d share accents an’ the food would taste the same!”

Top Hat placed a gentle hoof on Ripple’s shoulder. “Ripple. Let’s get everyone to the TARDIS so that we can get to work.”

She threw a punch that knocked his hat off, eliciting a laugh from Sparkler. As the group moved carefully through the city, Savory leaned closer to her Doctor. “I can’t believe he lets his companion yell at him. You know I would never act that scandalous, right Doctor?”

Her Science Adviser sighed, casting a look that could almost be construed as jealously at Top Hat. “I know, dear Savory. I know.”


“Will Picket be okay, Dad?” As they crept along the alleyways, the scared unicorn cast nervous looks at her father.

John Smith kept his sonic screwdriver out as he crossed the town. As he walked it gave off an occasional beep. Soon, the beeps became more regular. Suddenly, he raised a hoof for his family to stop as his trusted tool sprung to life, giving off a continuous high-pitched noise. He pawed in the dirt of the ground momentarily. Triumphantly, he kicked a small metal device out the ground. “Fantastic!” He placed the machine in his wife’s saddlebags with glee.

She frowned at him theatrically. “You’re making me jealous. Should I let you and the doo-hicky have some time alone?”

John gave her a quick kiss on the nose, sending her into clapping giggles while his daughter pretended to gag. He nodded in approval and motioned for his family to cross the alleyway. As they approached the edge of town, he smiled encouragingly to his daughter. “He’ll be fine. Well, more than fine. More like nearly indestructible.”

As the Smith family drew within sight of the hill they broke into a run. Within seconds the exuberant Time Charger had his older daughter within the crook of his forelimb. She rested a crying head on her father’s shoulder as he scratched her ears. Sparkler relaxed as she felt the feathery softness of her mother’s wing encircle her.

Top Hat leaned over to the smiling Dinky, who sat watching the scene. “I told her I get you all back together. I always deliver on my promises.”

Ripple Pond gave an offended snort from behind the two. The Time Charger scratched his mane in embarrassment, flashing Ripple an apologetic smile. “I admit I may be late on occasion, however.”

The UNIT Science Adviser flung open the door of his TARDIS, exiting with a flourish. “Gentlebeings and ladies, I believe I have a key to this mystery.”

Ditzy looked up. “Mystery? Don’t be a silly-dilly, old-new Doctor. There’s a village of bioweapons. What’s mysterious about that? That used to be, like, every Tuesday for John and me.” She stuck out her tongue at the UNIT unicorn and blew a playful raspberry.

The Doctor rolled his eyes. “Miss Smith, we stand near a village of the most virulent organic life form in galactic history. What is keeping it playing nice instead of spreading like a wave over Equestria?” After a moment of satisfied silence, he continued. “There’s some kind of signal being broadcasted into this area.”

Dinky hopped with joy. “It’s like a dog whistle for Smooze, right?”

The visibly-impressed scientist knelt next to the young girl. “My goodness, little one. You certainly grasp concepts rather quickly.” He raised his eyebrows and glanced meaningfully at John Smith. “She must be a chip off of the old block. Now, if we could only find a mobile transmitter to help me de-encrypt the signal.”

“Oh! I know this one!” Ditzy dug into her saddlebags, holding out the device John found. “De- the encryption on this all you want.”

John smiled. “That’s my girl. I hardly have to explain anything to her anymore.” He clicked his tongue contemplatively. “I kind of miss it.”

Top Hat spun his sonic screwdriver on his hoof in contemplation. “Ooh. Let me see that beautiful thing.”

The UNIT Adviser took the device into his hooves protectively. “Let a real scientist have a look at it, you prancing buffoon. I swear, it’s like being around that one with the teeth and the scarf again.”

As he began entering information into the keypad of the tiny machine, Top Hat spun around the irritated unicorn. “Can I please go now? It’s my favorite part.”

The hassled unicorn levitated the machine in place. “Very well, then. Have at it!”

Top Hat turned to Ripple. “I love this part, Miss Pond.” Twirling around his sonic screwdriver like a magic wand, he gestured at the machine with a flourish. “The great diamond dog magician Houndini taught me this one. Vra-Ka-Voom!”

As the ancient traveler’s tool flashed, a blinding light shot out on the device. A beam shot out over the village, revealing the previously hidden form of a gigantic alien ship. The battle-scarred armed cruiser hung menacingly in the air, ancient well-used weapons visible on every surface.

The UNIT Adviser raised his eyebrows. “Well, that’s not outfitted for a diplomatic mission.”

John Smith grimaced at the sight of the intimidating craft. “That’s a collection of the nasty dangly-boos and widgets from some of the worst mercenaries in the sector. And you’d think they’d have better taste in colors, hrm?”

Top Hat beamed with pride. Suddenly, his sonic screwdriver began smoking. He quickly closed the casing. He stared at the light beam in surprise. “That’s not supposed to happen. Why didn’t it switch off?”

Suddenly the device flared with blinding light. When John’s eyes readjusted he found to his shock that only the three Time Chargers were left on the hill. The UNIT Adviser was so stunned he dropped the machine in shock.

“Teleport beam!” John roared in anger. He dropped onto both hooves to examine the device. He swore in multiple languages as he saw the ‘machine’ had been left a smoking ruin from the outburst of energy. He jumped onto his hooves. “Follow me,” he screamed as he barreled through his doors of his TARDIS.

Top Hat raised a hoof trembling with anger. “We could take mine. It’s got more updates. Well, more repairs.” He cast a solemn look at the UNIT Doctor. “It’s got a swing,” he whispered with deadly seriousness.

The blue gentlepony placed a hoof on his fellow Time Charger’s shoulders. “He’s lost more than both of us combined, my dear fellow. Let’s grant him this indulgence. It’s only polite.”


Dinky’s vision cleared faster than the pain in her head. Unfamiliar sounds overwhelmed her ears as acrid smells filled her nostrils. She fearfully opened a single eye and screamed. Inches in front of her a parrot-like mouth sliced open and shut, attached to a grey-green mass of eyes. It tottered back and forth on a mushroom-like body while luminous tentacles lashed the air in front of the terrified child.

“Calm down, Little Muffin,” Ditzy whispered in motherly tones. “Be polite to our host.”

Dinky blinked. Tentatively she stopped screaming. The tendril-thing stayed in place, moving its barbels in mysterious ways. She stared at the alien horror, ready to flee at the moment’s notice.

It lifted a tendril slowly toward her, supporting a steaming bowl. A deep and powerful voice bellowed, “I have pudding.”

Dinky stomped her hooves in delight. She levitated the bowl out of the grip of the alien and lowered it within her range. Within seconds she was snout deep in tapioca pudding.

After a moment, Dinky lifted her head at the sound of laughter. Her mother and sister were giggling, and the alien was blowing wind out of filters at the end of its tentacles.

“Mom? Is that…space laughter?”

Ditzy snorted as she examined her surroundings. “Yes, dear.”

Dinky suddenly looked around in realization and wonder. She was in an empty room with slightly transparent glowing walls. The illuminated structure rippled like smoke. Through one of them she could see Miss Savory and Miss Pond trapped in another room with a bevy of equally bizarre life forms. They looked like they were arguing loudly, although Dinky couldn’t hear a sound.

Ditzy was lying down with a contented smile. “Welcome to imprisonment,” she squealed as she waved he hooves around like a real estate agent.

Dinky frowned. “Is imprisonment a good thing?”

Ditzy ran a hoof down the insubstantial wall of the cell. “Beats waiting for execution any day. Trust me on that one. I can’t count the number of cells your father and I have been thrown in.” She smiled back at the children. “This one’s not bad, considering. The imperial palace of the Vognuurzeens has built-in propaganda speakers in every wall.” She chuckled in remembrance. “At least, it had them until we landed the TARDIS there. I think the provisional government has a blourzeen berry plantation there now.” Her eyes spun. “Or it will after we go there in a hundred years. Timey-wimey stuff, Dinky.”

Their alien cellmate suddenly reared upwards, extending both its body and limbs twice fold. “I thought you were one of the Travelers of the TARDIS. The signs are true. You are the Derpy. Our help has come.” The thing’s tentacles flashed in a disturbing dance of lights.

Sparkler crept in front of her sister protectively, but Dinky wasn’t afraid anymore. The thing’s voice held no malice; it sounded like Scootaloo did when she begged Cheerilee to move Silver Spoon’s seat further away in class.

Ditzy gave a long and aggravated sigh. “Yes, that’s me.”

“The Derpy has come!” The alien’s expression remained inscrutable, but it sounded overjoyed. “The Merciful Messenger walks among us! Far across the galaxy have your deeds traveled. The Seer of Two Paths has arrived. ”

Sparkler’s mouth hung, her eyes doing a perfect imitation of her mother’s. Ditzy herself was blushing and avoiding eye contact. Her brow scrunched at the sound of her childhood nickname while her tail whipped back and forth at the alien’s compliments. Dinky turned to her embarrassed mother and with confusion ventured, “Mom? Are you okay?”

Ditzy's features softened a bit. “Hush now, Little Muffin. Mommy’s talking with a sentient sapience.”

“I am pleased that the Derpy deigns to discuss with a lowly fractal farmer as myself.” His stalk bent forward in what Dinky assumed was a bow. “I am overjoyed at the prospect of our imminent escape.”

Dinky’s curiosity took hold as she stepped forward. “Hold on a sec, sir. I know you’re big and scary looking, but you seem nice. I wanted to ask something.” Ditzy hoofpalmed, but a proud smile hid behind her hoof
.
The creature’s tentacles paused. “Ask, Child of the Derpy.”

Dinky asked incredulously, “Are you sure you have the right pony, Mister Wiggle-face? Are you really talking about my mom?”

The being paused. “She is known throughout the universe as the Grey Angel that tempers the Doctor’s fire with mercy. She is savior to worlds.”

As the mail-mare from Ponyville turned back to the gesticulating creature her features hardened.

“Dinky, let me handle this.” She steeped in front of her daughter. “Okay, fill me in on the current situation. I have to know who’s going down.”

Sparkler found the will to speak. “Mother, to be correcting the phrase is ‘what’s going down.”

Ditzy shook her head with a pleased smile. “Honey, we’re in a slave pen on an alien spaceship. Someone is going down for this.”


The flickering console lights danced across John Smith’s face. His angry face moved from sensor to sensor, heedless of his other selves as he checked readings. As his past incarnation examined the unfamiliar control room Top Hat nervously played with his namesake.

“This is remarkable,” crooned the elder statespony. “Years of innovations lay bare to the eye.” He rubbed a hoof down something that only a bicycle mating with a nuclear accelerator could produce. “I wonder if I could fix my TARDIS with these ideas…”

Top Hat angrily slammed his headwear onto his scalp. “This is the bad idea. The big bad idea.” He angrily stomped over to John. “We should go back to his TARDIS rather than show him eight regenerations and five centuries of worth of jury-rigging jiggery-pokery.” An angry hoof wiggled.

John sighed. “I’ll work out the paradox later.”

“We can’t have a paradox!” Top Hat gleefully explained. “We have three of us, not two!” The UNIT Adviser gave him a withering stare.

Top Hat spun his hooves in the air sheepishly. “Because, you see, two Doctors would be…”

"Now listen to me!" John slammed his hoof onto the floor. “While you’re joking about paradox my family is trapped there, whatever it may be.”

The UNIT Science Adviser clicked his tongue disapprovingly. “That is exactly why we don’t get involved with ponies, son. That connection is clouding your judgment.”

John Smith stared at his earlier incarnation with rage. “Well then, we should hurry through this so you can be safe back in the garage with your precious ‘Bessie.’ I’m sure wrenching her engine into shape keeps away the loneliness at night.” His blue counterpart stared daggers at him.

Their hat-crested future self hovered between the two of them. “I know this part. It’s the yelling. We’re doing the yelling thing. That’s always a useful trick, get a lot of things done with yelling,” he concluded. “EXCEPT WHEN WE DO IT TO OURSELVES!”

“Allow me to intercede, then…”

The three Doctors turned as one toward the viewscreen. A scar-laced ursine face stared back at them. The ancient bear had one eye replaced with a glowing red sensor. From his chin down he was inside or attached to some kind of elaborate black and red battle armor.

“Now that I’ve contacted you, I wish to discuss the terms of your…”

“That’s brilliant,” John interrupted. “A real illiop! I thought your people had been all destroyed after the Great War of Grundo.”

The cyborg sighed. “As I was saying…”

“Look at his fiddly bits!” Top Hat was ecstatic. “That’s an authentic Perlune auto-targeting system, jury-rigged to a Gutang forehead laser. You are a real piece of work.” His eyes played over the bear warrior’s face.

“He looks like he could use some repairs,” offered the UNIT Adviser. “None of those implants appear to be functioning above eighty-percent efficiency.”

The impatient cyborg scratched at a neck implant in irritation. “I have your companions.”

The room fell silent.

“No more gushing over me in an inappropriate way? Good. Let’s begin.” He stared at the Doctors unblinkingly through the monitor. “I am the Grand Invasorial Warmaker of the Pillaging Platoon, and I’ve been waiting to test my mettle against you. Titles have power, and yours are most impressive. At last, we have the Doctor, the Cosmic Prankster, Breaker of the Black Guardian, Lord of Calamity, and the Oncoming Storm. I know all your designations, Doctor. You should be proud.”

John Smith shook his head. “Sorry, did I hear that right? I fear you might be missing two.”

The Grand Invasorial harrumphed. “I should think not. We have language slaves whose only purpose is to comb the galactic records for the titles of those we destroy. We know all that you are.”

The Doctor leaned on the console while facing the screen. “Well then, let me add the two most important titles. In your ship is a mare who call me ‘Muffin’ and two fillies who call me ‘daddy,’ and if you harm a hair on their coats I’ll tear your planet from orbit.”

The Warmaker blinked. The ancient warrior tried for several seconds to hold John Smith’s gaze. His right hand suddenly flung out to a switch. The bear began stuttering. “I think we’ve lost connection!” The signal faded out.

John turned around to see a blue unicorn slowly clapping. “Well my boy,” the proud gentlepony opined, “I’m glad to see I haven’t lost it in my old age.”

Top Hat pushed the other Doctors aside roughly. His hooves played across the console like an angry composer tapping a symphony of hate. The Adviser raised himself to the ground, dusting himself off. John Smith sat where he lay, watching the gray pony at the console. He was closer in time and personality to the hat-wearing Doctor. Unlike the Advisor, he understood what was about to happen and didn’t want to miss a second of it.

Top Hat tapped the TARDIS console microphone several times. “Hello? This thing is on. This thing is on, and who are you?”

A tense second passed.

“You see,” continued John Smith’s future self, “I tracked your pet cyborg’s signal. No illiop would work on something as complicated as this. He may be doing the talking, but he's mouthing the words on the tape someone gave him. I knew someone like you, someone controlling, someone who views people and ponies as,” the Doctor screamed the next word, “PUPPETS couldn’t resist keeping an eye on his lackeys.”

He leaned over the microphone and stared at the view screen. “Come on then. I know you can see me. You’ve handed in an amazing assignment without signing your name and I want to give you the marks you deserve.”

The seconds gradually ticked in the control room.

Suddenly the TARDIS rocked to the side, sending the inhabitants spilling in every direction. Lighting flared along the console as smoke filled the room.

Top Hat stood up as the room kept shaking. “No no no! You don’t get to do that.” He fought to keep his balance at the console.

John Smith pulled himself up onto a piece of vibrating machinery. “Well, someone doesn’t want us visiting them.” He pulled the UNIT Science Adviser to his feet. “Any ideas, old stallion? We’re stuck in a level three collapsing chronal field. I think it’ll last about twelve seconds.”

The Adviser nodded. “And so will we.” He pulled itself onto the control panel and turned to his ‘younger’ self, all argument having been put to the side in the face of danger. “How about we reverse the polarity of the neutron flow?”

John nodded and began helping him work the console. Top Hat clicked his tongue, walking briskly around the quivering control room while gesturing.

“Really now, ‘reverse the polarity of the neutron flow’ again?” he said as he rolled his eyes. “You were always so quick to roll that out. Neutrons are neutral; they don’t even have a polarity!” He nearly fell over as the TARDIS made a sharp stop.

The unicorn at the console smiled with contentment. John raised an eyebrow as he looked at the silent sprawled Top Hat. “We’re here, you ancient fogey,” he said with glee as he opened the TARDIS door. Outside a grime-encrusted spaceship corridor beckoned.

The Unit Adviser primly walked to the TARDIS door. “Well, are you coming, old fellow? I hope I haven’t lost my drive for adventure in my later years.” His eyes lit up as he walked outside into danger.

The grey-toned stallion carefully picked up his top hat and adjusted it. “Remember,” he said to no one in particular. “Always, always adjust the polarity of the neutron flow. That’s a rule.” Top Hat walked to the door of the TARDIS before crying out, “Duck!”

John Smith and the Adviser saw the terrifying metal shape coming around the corner. Something like a hovering metal salt shaker with a nozzle and plunger attached moved towards them with menace. “You are all intruders. You will be exterminated!”

Three sonic screwdrivers were instantly produced. After a brief buzzing sound, the metal maniac exploded. John Smith walked over to the remains.

“No organic materials. I thought it was a fake! If this thing was real its ego wouldn’t let it hide behind lackeys and force fields.”

The Adviser nodded. “The makes all wrong, too. This one wore the markings of a battle philosopher, not a guard. I also realized this plan was entirely too subtle for those…” he shuddered. “Those genocidal monsters.”

They both turned to Top Hat expectantly. He shrugged.

“Well buckaroos, I drew on the foul varmint because…um…I didn’t want to be left out.”

John and the Adviser stared at him in disbelief. Suddenly all three of them exploded into laughter. “Let’s go, Mister ‘Top Hat,’” the Adviser said as he wiped his tears away with a silk handkerchief.

Top Hat nodded as he prepared to follow his younger selves into the unknown. He started suddenly as he heard a familiar voice from behind. On the viewscreen of the TARDIS was a cascading series of overlapping images, but every so often he saw Savory and Ripple inside a cage. Top Hat stepped toward the monitor.

“They’re here, and I can see them, and I’ve got a TARDIS!” He looked guilty backwards at the open door then flicked a switch to close it. “I’ve got a TARDIS and they’ll be fine.” He looked at the power source of the TARDIS in the center of the control room. “They’ll be fine on their own, I promise. Now, what say you give me a spin for old times sake, you young sexy thing!”

Outside John’s eyes went wide as he heard the TARDIS door slam. He ran to the closed door and slammed his hooves against it. “You are not doing this! You are not leaving us behind!” His frustration grew as he fell through the disappearing blue box.

He turned in anger to his earlier self. The UNIT Science Pony had a thoughtful, sad look on his face. John held his anger in check for a moment. “What is it?”

The Adviser sighed. “I was remembering a similar situation. You must be centuries further removed from me, John. I still remember hearing her saying those things as I ran away, so many years ago.”

John Smith sobered up. He offered a limb around his fellow adventurer’s shoulder. “I remember. I remember leaving her every second of every day. That’s why I’ll never leave my new family behind.” He swallowed. “I think I’d break both my hearts if I had to do it again.”

The Adviser looked at John curiously. Suddenly, he nodded and started to smile. “To think I worried that I’d lose perspective in my later years.” He trotted a few paces down the corridor and turned back toward John. “Come on then. You and I both know we’d run off on our own in a second for a good enough reason. Let’s trust him and get to our own business. There’s an alien spaceship of dangerous warriors here protecting their mysterious director, and just the two of us. Let’s show them how outnumbered they are!”

John Smith nodded as he placed a pair of 3D glasses on his face. “The girls await. Allon-sy!”

The two Time Chargers ran into the unknown.


Ditzy’s attention was drawn to her prison. She studied the glowing walls like a bag of mislabeled mail, working to make connections.

Dinky was chatting with the tentacle alien, and Sparkler wanted none of that. She knew he wasn’t a threat; she also became nauseous when he started talking. Sparkler moved close to her mother while Dinky was distracted. “Mother? Father is from…further away than I am, no?”

Ditzy gave a nervous glance to Dinky, and then nodded. “Please don’t tell your sister. We’re waiting until she’s older.”

Sparkler nodded. A hopeful grin played across her face. “May we possibly meet others like Father in this ship? His faraway family, perhaps?”

“Maybe.” Ditzy turned her full attention to her daughter. “Your Father says there’s almost none left of his kind. Just him and one other.”

“What is the other to be like, mother?”

Ditzy shrugged, “I’m not sure. We’ve never met. Your father never wants to talk about him. Or her, I suppose. He changes the subject whenever I bring him up.” She tapped a hoof thoughtfully on her chin. “Once he changed the millennium.”

Sparkler shrank back into the corner of the cell, casting her eyes on every closed door beyond the cell. She shook slightly. Her mother stepped to the side and flared her wings out, shielding their mouths from Dinky’s view. “What’s wrong, Sparkler?”

The sensitive teen whispered, “Mother, I am in real way the last of my kind. If any others like me survived, I can think of not but one reason why I would avoid them. For father to keep us away from the other of his kind…he must be bad.” Sparkler stared at her mother in horror. “Imagine a bad pony that could go anywhere.”

Ditzy shivered. Turning away from the implication, she examined the crack of black where the force walls met. “Ah-ha! Sparkler, come over here. If I’m doing your father’s job, I need someone to hear why I’m brilliant.”

Sparkler rose to her feet, listening attentively.

Ditzy cleared her throat. She smiled widely, basking in the attention of an imagined crowd. “You see that control console, not four hooves away from us?” Sparkler nodded. “Well, between that and us are the walls of this force field.”

She ran a hoof along the corner of the force field. “We can breathe, so it’s not a fully contained system. The edges where the walls meet are solidified atmosphere, generating the air that keeps us alive.”

Sparkler raised an eyebrow. “Why is this to be being important, mother?”

Ditzy hovered a few hooves off the ground. “Oh, this is brilliant. I can’t believe it feels this good. No wonder that big goof smiles all the time.” She stared off into space for a moment, and then shook her head back into the present. “Dear, we’re going to get out of here, and then you and Dinky are going over to Carrot Top’s farm for an evening, okay? Daddy and I need some time alone.”

Sparkler tried not to consider the implications. “The fielding force, mother. You were speaking of it.”

Ditzy nodded. “The walls of this prison are cloud, my muffin. Do you remember what happened to city hall? Why Rainbow Dash and the mayor were so mad they tried to get me out of rain brigade duty? If there’s one thing I’m good at…”

Ditzy’s hooves lashed out, landing awkwardly and forcefully against the corner of the cage. At the moment of impact a bolt of lightning shoot out of the corner of the glowing box. The crackling energy struck the control console. All of the force cages winked out of existence.

Ditzy beamed. “…it certainly isn’t rainmaking.”

“…ye grinning blond trollop!” As their argument echoed around the large prison room, Ripple and Amy suddenly stopped. Ditzy walked into the middle of the room and loudly cleared her throat.

“Attention all you beautiful and weird multiforms, please don’t panic. Okay? I’m Ditzy Doo, and I’ll be your rescuer today. Please follow me as I deliver you to your destinations.”

“The Derpy has come!”

“The Lighting Dancer will save us!”

She massaged her forehead. “Okay, follow me and we’ll be fine.”

Ditzy heard Dinky’s questioning voice. “Mommy, why do they call you…what Cloud Kicker calls you?”

Ditzy stopped for a second. “Because after I saved an intergalactic counsel on my own, your father had the wisdom to shout, “You’re a space hero! Let’s see someone call you ‘Derpy’ now.” We were right in front of the galactic news cameras.” She brightened up as a thought occurred to her. “By the way, when we get home we’re dropping you off at Carrot Top for a sleepover.”

A bizarre crew of sapients from all over the universe followed the mailmare from Ponyville into the halls of the ship. Savory look in wonder at the cheerful pegasus, singing to herself as she led the strange menagerie.

“Ripple, whatever the Doctor’s looking for in a filly, she’s got it.”

Ripple gave a muttered answer.

Ditzy eyed the rooms they passed appraisingly. “If this is a warship, it’s got to have some basic safety stuff.” After a few corridors she stopped and gestured to an open door. “Hey, everybody! If you’re not a pony, go into that room. It’s a deadlocked invasion panic room. You’ll all be safe while we find the way out.”

A trusting crowd passed her on tentacles, legs, wings, and gas-filled hoverbags. She gave them a smile as they locked her out. Turning on the group, she was suddenly serious again.

“Okay, listen up everybody. The Doctors should be here soon. I have faith in my husband. He’d never leave us. I’m sure you both feel the same way about your Time Chargers.”

Ripple twirled her hair for effect. “Well, they say you never forget your first Doctor.”

Ditzy nodded as Sparkler blushed. “We’re all together. Let’s sneak our way to a communications thing and send the TARDIS some coordinates.”

Savory saluted. “Of course, Ma’am. I worked off fifteen pounds last summer running down corridors. Whatever’s down there, I’ll willing to meet it head on with you.”

It was Ditzy’s turn to blush. “Um…Savory, could you please call me Ditzy instead of ‘Ma’am?’”

Ripple snickered. “You don’t want to be our respected older lady?”

Seconds later Ditzy was grumbling as the giggling ponies followed behind her. At her own insistence, Sparkler and Dinky kept close to their mother. Ripple and Savory kept pace a few feet behind.

Savory leaned over toe Ripple Pond. “Well, Mrs. Smith is proof of one thing.”

Ripple grinned. “Age before beauty governs who leads the escape party?”

Savory snorted. “Oh, behave!” Her eyes flashed with triumph. “What I was going to say, you catty young minx, is that the Doctor definitely prefers blondes.”

As Ripple stuttered in surprise at the back of the group, Ditzy held up a hoof. All the ponies stopped walking.

“Someone’s coming, muffins.” She spread her wings. “Get behind me and prepare to run.”

A tired-looking white pony in tattered clothes ran from around the next corner. The scraggly bearded stallion stopped as he looked in shock at the crowd of companions.

Ditzy looked curiously at the newcomer, taking a step backwards. “Mister Decks? What are you doing up here?”

Dinky whispered to her mother. “Mommy, I thought all the villagers were smoozy?”

Dinky kept staring at the town leader. “Hush, Little Muffin. Stay on guard.”

Terrence Decks panted in place, head hanging low in exhaustion. “Not all of us were those…monsters. We were mind-controlled to play our parts.” He raised his gaze to Ditzy. “You should follow me. I know a way off of this ship.”

As Decks took a step forward Dinky nervously scooted backwards into Savory. The UNIT pony gave the young unicorn a reassuring hoof down her hair. Ditzy stepped a few paces forward, imposing herself between the mysterious pony and her family. Sparkler followed with eyes of simmering rage.

“We’ll be fine on our own, thanks. We’ll just turn around and let you find your way on your own. ”

“Mrs. Smith, things are dangerous on this ship right now,” Decks pleaded. “You really should come with me before you meet something unexpected.”

Two amber eyes swirled in irritation. “Mister Decks, you would be surprised at the kind of things I expect. Excuse me,” she concluded as she prepared to head down a side corridor. “Keep an eye on the creepy guy,” she whispered to Ripple and Savory.

A wave of irritation passed over ‘Terrance Decks,’ seemingly carrying away his accent. “You dare turn your flank to me? This little charade has become a frustrating waste of time,” he declared in a clipped Trottingham accent. “Do pay attention now, dear.”

His forceful change of personality drew Ditzy’s attention. As he stared into her off-kilter eyes, they slowly straightened and lost the fire John Smith adored. The small crowd of time travelers watched helplessly, their stares falling into the vortex of the menacing stallion’s gaze.

“Quiet yourself, Mrs. ‘John Smith.’” Terrence Decks smiled in triumph at his captivated audience. “You will obey me, my dear, for I am the Master.”