• Published 16th Jan 2013
  • 9,292 Views, 653 Comments

Dead or Alive - Rust



Boba Fett has a new bounty; Princess Celestia. Needless to say, things don't go smoothly.

  • ...
26
 653
 9,292

[Chapter 1] - Scum and Villainy

D E A D ~ or ~ A L I V E

An MLP:FIM fanfiction by:R U S T

with editing and proofing by his pet cat


A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...






STAR WARS

DEAD OR ALIVE

The Galactic Empire is ascendant. The Jedi have been all but destroyed by Order 66, the merciless hunt led by Emperor Palpatine and his dark apprentice, Darth Vader. And yet, the Sith Lords still sense a great power in the Force, sequestered away far beyond the charted space lanes. Beyond the beyond, something lurks.

Imperial probes sent to this blackest of deserts made a startling new discovery -- an entire world, attuned to the ebbs and flows of the Force. The Emperor has decided that this new planet, and all its inhabitants, would submit under the banner of the Empire or face utter annihilation.

To this end, he has summoned the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter, the mysterious Boba Fett, to kidnap the leader of Equus and deliver her to the Empire to be used as a bargaining chip for the fate of her planet...


Chapter 1: Scum and Villainy
by: Rust

Liliat Sector, Komra System, Aboard the Trading Station Ba-2456, in orbit over the planet Tyto...


Heavy boots thudded against the floor in an ominous rhythm, echoing through the stillness of the dark, powerless hallway, lit only from the light of the nearby star shining through the observation windows. Through the shafts of silver light that cut through the blackness, an armored figure slipped in and out of view as it steadily made its way to the reinforced blast doors at the far end of the hallway.

It paused before the door, rubbing the barrel of its blaster carbine as if in thought. About two meters tall, the figure struck a grim image. It wore a ancient, battle-scarred suit of beskar, Mandalorian armor, faded green with yellow pauldrons. A frayed, shortened cape hung behind it and a string of Wookie scalps dangled from one shoulder.

A gloved hand reached out and politely knocked on the heavy door; one, two, three times.

After a moment's pause, the entryway rolled to the side with a mechanical hum and the screech of metal on metal.

An ugly face poked out of the threshold, followed by the rest of the creature. A Toydarian, with a bulbous midsection and constantly flapping insecticidal wings. He spread his arms wide. "Ey, my friend! It is good to see you again, yes? What brings you to Battro's post?" Battro waved the figure inside. "Come, come, we talk more."

The Toydarian ambled through the room, which was cluttered with piles upon piles of parts and pieces from every possible origin. Droid, starship, or simple machine, most everything found itself passing through Battro's wares room at one point or another along the journey from the factory to the scrapyard. Battro chattered as he wove his way through the debirs.

"It's been a while since I last see you! Battro remembers these things, you know. What was it you buy again? Ah! Trip mines. Duraplast shrapnel. Proximity trigger, I am thinking." The figure behind him remained silent, picking its way carefully, lest it upset one of the many leaning towers of junk.

In a hidden pocket of the room was a small booth, covered with the fetid remains of what seemed to be the remains of meals from now until the last year. Battro sat down on one side and swept this all away with a loud clatter. "You sit now, yes? We talk business."

The figure slid into the seat across, the jetpack strapped to its back causing it to have to lean forward a bit.

"So, what can Battro do for you,?" asked the trader. "Battro has all kinds of things you might enjoy for use. A new shipment of darts came in last cycle. Ackalay venom. Very potent. One dart will drop a bull bantha in mere seconds." He held up a vial of darts and rattled them about. "Fifty credits per dart. But for you? Battro can go forty."

The figure made no motion to reply. The black, T-shaped visor on the helmet remained fixed upon the Toydarian. Battro could see his reflection in it.

"No? All right, he plays hard to get. Battro can work with this." Battro dug into a sweat-stained pocket and removed a small, squashed looking hunk of metal. "Starship tracker. Imperial-class. Top notch, won't even find this on the black markets. Effective to almost 50,000 light years; that's half the known Galaxy!"

Again, there was no response. Battro had to resist the urge to shiver.

"Okay," Battro consented. "You caught me. I have been holding back, the best wares for the best customer, eh?" He flitted across the room and rummaged around in a junk heap for a moment, before returning and placing an item upon the table, a cylinder measuring around a foot in length, covered in rusting grip and a couple buttons. "Lightsaber. Antique. One of those old Outer Rim types sold it to Battro when he was just starting out. The energy crystal is missing, but, well, you know what these babies can do!" He chuckled.

"No." The figure finally spoke. "I need a Force Inhibitor. As powerful you can make it. Twenty thousand midichloria, bare minimum."

Battro recolied. "One of those!?" he shouted, then lowered his voice, "one of those? I haven't seen one of those since the Clone Wars," he hissed. "That kind of tech has been blackmarked for years. Nobody who deals that stuff survives long without the Empire coming down on them like they pissed on the Emperor's robe. You can get sent to an asteroid prison for life, just for talking about them."

The featureless helmet remained utterly impassive.

Battro tried to stare it down, but all he could see was himself, glaring imperiously back. "What would you even use one for?" he demanded. "Are you hunting Jedi, is that it? Battro knows these things. You don't want to mess with those guys!" He pointed an accusing finger at the broken lightsaber on the table. "There's a reason they were wiped out. Got too powerful, too strong for their own good."

"I'll pay double."

Battro paused for half a heartbeat. "No."

"Triple."

"No. Battro will not do this, even for you, his best customer."

"Five times the going rate."

At first, Battro thought he had misheard. His sweaty brows furrowed. Now that was a lot of credits. Enough to let him retire, possibly... But for this kind of money to be thrown around so callously, something big must be going down. And for Boba to be able to use it for bribing a merchant? There was something underneath the surface of this deal, and Battro did not like it.

"And if Battro turn that amount down?"

"Then I take it, and blow the place to atoms." The figure crossed its arms. "Your choice."

Battro felt a trickle of sweat slip down his back. It wasn't from the heat, no, he felt icy cold. It was from the fact that he knew the figure sitting across from him would follow through on the threat, and give absolutely not one second of doubt about it. Hell, the station was probably already rigged to explode.

"Fine. Battro can sell you one. And one only, because it is all Battro owns." He narrowed his eyes. "But only for one condition." The figure made no move to deny that request, so he continued. "You must tell Battro what you intend you use it for, Boba Fett. Battro will not have his conscience at risk by sending his old friend's son off to die on some foolish mission for some old Jedi scum."

Boba Fett, the greatest bounty hunter in the known Galaxy, and quite possibly the most lethal being outside of the Dark Lords, shrugged his armored shoulders.

"Just the usual."

"The usual don't require Force Inhibitors strong enough to bring Vader to his knees." Battro glared at the reflective visor. "You aren't hunting Jedi, that is clear to Battro."

"You're right, I'm not."

Try as he might, the Toydarian couldn't wring any more information from the stubborn bounty hunter. He admonished himself for even trying; Fett's iron will was renowned from here to Courasant. With a bit of grumbling, Battro delved into the mounds of junk until he found the object of his search; a reinforced safe, to which the combination for only he knew. A few expert spins of the dial, and the door swung open.

The Force Inhibitor, for what it was, didn't look very impressive. A simple, finger-sized device, attached to an adjustable belt of cortosis metal, which, outside of Fett's Mandalorian beskar suit, was some of the toughest in the Galaxy. "Put that on a Force-wielder, and they wouldn't be doing anything special anytime soon," he announced upon procuring it for Fett.

"The trick is getting it on in the first place, then." Boba Fett took the item and callously slung it over one shoulder, before picking his way back through the doorway. "Your credits are waiting in the hangar."

Battro was stumped for a moment. Fett had already set out the payment? He had known... Battro had folded like a deck of cards, and the damned bounty hunter had foreseen it.

"Like father, like son!" he called after the retreating figure.

Battro then began to think about just exactly what he'd spend his newfound wealth on. He was several hundred thousand credits richer, he had gotten rid of his most illegal piece of contraband, and Boba Fett had just walked out of his shop without disintegrating him.

Today was a good day for Battro.


Boba Fett entered the solitary hangar of the Toydarian trader's space station. The only thing in the room, his signature vessel lay comfortably in the tight berth; a Firespray-31 patrol and attack craft, one of six ever made. With a class 3.0 hyperdrive and blaster cannons powerful enough to scrape the paint off a Star Destroyer, it was twenty tons of pure, unadulterated aggression in starship form. Pound for pound, the Slave I was one of the most dangerous ships in the space lanes.

Even more so, with the few personal touches Fett had installed.

The gangplank was already lowered, and Boba entered the craft, comforted by the familiar sights and smells. He had inherited her from his father, just one more piece of a mighty legacy to carry on. Boba allowed himself to remember all the adventures he'd had in this ship, if only for a moment.

The helmet scraped his ears as he pulled it over his head. Boba scowled, lines etching his craggy, chiseled face. It was said that the number of beings who had seen that face could be counted by with the fingers of one hand of the average Human. He set the helmet on a peg just inside the spacious cockpit, before sitting down in the well-worn seat that had offered views to some of the most incredible sights the universe had to offer.

The Slave I's ion engines warmed up with a gentle throb. Boba's experienced hands guided her out of the now empty hangar, and set a vector for the nearest safe jump point.

But as the ship smoothly slid away, Boba Fett dug around in his pocket before removing two cylinders, the first being the lightsaber from Battro's shop, and the other being a detonator for the gratuitous amounts of explosives he'd set in the derelict space station. He carelessly tossed the lightsaber into a compartment, where it joined almost a score of others, old relics from his Jedi-hunting days. He then put his thumb over the detonator.

"Sorry, Battro. Can't leave a trail for this one."

The space station lurched, then sparked into a small star as the explosives went off. The Toydarian had served him well, the least he deserved was a quick death, and a happy one at that.

The Slave I entered the jump point some moments later. With an audible whine and the press of a few buttons, the powerful hyperdrive warmed up. Boba threw the switch. There was a sickening lurch of acceleration, and then the view outside the cockpit dissolved from the carpet of stars into a multitude of white streaks.

Boba Fett flicked on the autopilot, put his arms behind his head, leaned back in his chair, and fell asleep.