• Published 13th Oct 2012
  • 616 Views, 28 Comments

The Last Long Night - Archlyn



Luna has been sealed away and now Celestia must cope with the loss and still lead her ponies.

  • ...
3
 28
 616

Their Kingdom and Their Subjects

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts of the night’s events, Celestia stepped out of bed and glanced around. Nothing seemed to have suffered any damage from the events of the battle at the castle. On a small table next to her bed, she noticed a small, perfectly round black stone which she hadn’t placed there. Quickly scanning it with her magic confirmed her suspicions. Somepony had snuck into her chambers during the commotion and placed this here and she could still feel the faint traces of her sister’s enchantment upon it.

Sighing, she glanced out the window - it would soon be time to raise her sister’s moon. This led only to more rather depressing reflections on the situation, so Celestia forced her mind to focus on other things. Giving herself an appraising glance in the mirror, she donned the trappings of her royal station and steeled herself; now was not the time to contemplate her feelings. She had to be strong, their subjects would look to her for guidance now and she could not falter in her duty to them.

Turning, she made her way out of her chambers and stood on the landing overlooking the throne room. The sight before her made her breath catch in her throat. Turning to one of the ponies guarding the door to her royal apartments she asked “What happened here last night?”

The reason for her discomfort was simple: a large tarpaulin had been stretched across the massive hole in the ceiling she’d flown into last night. Bits of the roof and some collapsed stone columns were still being cleared away by some of the ponyfolk. In one of the corners still covered by actual roof, she could see some of the wounded were still being tended to. Others... weren’t so fortunate.

“Well milady, in the commotion of the fighting something magical struck the roof... from the outside.” Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the guard’s worried glance as he spoke. So all of this had been her fault as well. “I see.”

Steadying herself with a deep breath, she made her way down the stairs slowly. Everypony looked up as she approached and went down on their forehooves quickly. “Be at ease everypony. There are far more pressing matters to deal with right now.” As one the assembled group went silently back to their respective tasks. Celestia watched them all for a moment or two, then, seeing one of her closest advisers supervising a small group of ponies, she made her way to him, waiting for him to finish his instructions before she spoke.

“What’s the situation?” she asked, hoping her voice displayed the confidence she didn’t have.

“Fortunately, we managed to evacuate most of the civilians into the lower basements and none of the, ah, enemy forces bothered to go there. We’re keeping as many as we can there until things are a bit calmer. Those we captured during the battle are in the dungeons awaiting your judgement. That isn’t to say there weren’t any casualties, the ballroom has been converted into a makeshift infirmary and the dining hall into a morgue. For the most part, though, things are under control, although rebuilding will take some time.”

Celestia nodded. At least Luna’s resentment had remained focused solely on her. “Good, do what you can here, I must go see to the injured and the families of the lost.”

“Understood, milady. If I may, would it not be prudent to... check the time of day?”

Time of... oh. With the weight of the responsibility that now loomed over her and the emotional whirlwind that was still raging inside her, she’d forgotten completely about her role as deity. “You are quite right. Very well. I shall see to them momentarily. If you will excuse me?” With that the white alicorn turned to leave, catching the barest hint of a bow out of the corner of her eye.

She made her way out of the castle through its main entrance. Finding a small grassy hillock, Celestia stood upon it, with the saddening realization that she was performing the ritual that her sister had done so many times before, and now she must do it alone for some unknown amount of time. And it so it was, tears stinging her eyes, that she channeled her power and set the moon on its wheel, bringing an end to her first day alone in Equestria. Seeing the dark silhouette against the bright white of the moon brought fresh rounds of tears to her eyes.

Oh Luna, I’m so sorry! How could I have sent you away?

Celestia remained there for several moments, awash in doubt and grief. She couldn’t even save her sister, what made her believe that she had any right to rule over anypony anymore? The worst of it was that most of this fell squarely on her shoulders, not just her sister, but all of the injured and those lost in the battle... She hadn’t been there to protect them, and now somehow she was expected to lead all of Equestria?

Of course you have to lead them. Who else is going to do it? Would you really have things be as they were before you and Luna came?

That pragmatic statement cleared her head and she stood once more and made her way back into the castle. She was going to have to make a fresh start of things she realized. Staying in this castle wasn’t going to help anypony. She would have to move the royal seat to somewhere not filled with such horrid memories. Arrangements and announcements would have to come later because now she stood outside the door to the improvised morgue.

Clearing her mind, she focused on the task at hoof of consoling all of the grief-stricken families. At least, she mused grimly, I’ll be able to show them real empathy and not the hollow words of a ruler. With that thought firmly in mind, she stepped through the doors. Everypony looked up and, somehow, through the tears and hurt and pain, bowed to her. “Now is not the time to worry over formalities”, she said gently. “Right now, I am here, not as your Princess, but instead as a sympathetic ear to share in your grief at the loss of your loved ones and to hear the tales of their lives so that I too may remember and honor them”. She gave a small smile and allowed some of her own sadness to show. And so she visited with them all and talked with them. She heard their stories and the names of the dead.

Celestia made sure to spend time with every family in the place.The one thing she hadn’t expected however was that some of them would thank her for banishing Nightmare Moon. The first time somepony had said that to her, it took all of her willpower not to burst into tears and berate them for their callousness. Eventually, as it happened more and more, she realized that nopony had made the connection between Luna and Nightmare Moon as yet. She wondered what would happen when her subjects figured that out.

Even after all of this, nopony thinks of Luna? They don’t wonder where she was?

Isn’t it better this way? Would you really want your sister remembered for this?

Celestia couldn’t deny that part of her was happy that her sister seemed to be forgotten at the moment, but she’d have to tell them herself eventually. Better that than to let rumors and suspicion arise in the vacuum. She made her way to the door and cleared her throat. Everypony looked up, waiting for her to speak. When she did, it was as a ruler to her subjects and not the compassionate ear: “I know this may seem inappropriate, but I shall be gathering all of you in the castle together. Not immediately, but soon. I ask that all of you set aside your sadness for a time and come when you are bidden. I shall send a messenger to collect you at the appropriate time.” Nods and murmured assent were her response. “Very well, I shall see you then.”

With that she stepped out of the room and made her way to the infirmary. She was delighted to see that the serious cases had been dealt with and now only comparatively minor ones were being taken care of. She walked over to a particularly frazzled looking unicorn who seemed to be more or less in charge: “Yes yes! I know you need help but we’re doing the best we can here! You’ll just have to wait your turn like everypony else!” Celestia cleared her throat and held in a chuckle; the overworked pony looked like he’d have to be hospitalized in his own infirmary for cardiac arrest brought on by the surprise of her visit.

“Err... hello your H-Highness! I w-wasn’t expecting to see you here!” he stammered and bowed shakily still trying to control his shock. She held up a hoof to calm him. “Do not worry. I came merely to see the progress of your work and to tell you that I shall be gathering everypony together soon so please try to have those that are able attend.” The unicorn nodded. “I understand your Majesty”, he said, clearing his throat, the worry in his voice finally dispelled.

“As you can see, most of the serious cases have been taken care of. Those ponies in need of bedrest were moved very carefully by magic to whatever sleeping quarters could be found. Some ponies will have to double up on accommodations for a while.”

“How long do you suppose that will be? How long do you think it will take before the most grievously injured will be able to walk?”

The unicorn pursed his lips as he considered “Well milady, if all goes well, it could be as little as two weeks. Why do you ask? Are we going to be leaving soon?”

“We will be leaving, but the timetable will depend on many things, those in your care not least among them.”

“I see. I will provide you with updates on the worst of my patients if you wish.“

She considered this. Regardless of when she told everypony, it would still take a long time for the arrangements to be made. There probably wasn’t any need to worry about those recovering. “No, I do not think that will be necessary.”

“Very well, milady. Will there be anything else?”

“No. I’ll let you get back to work.” She began to circulate among the patients still here, offering words of thanks and encouragement. Satisfied, she nodded once more to the doctor and left the infirmary. That visit had brightened her mood considerably. Maybe it was because the room was so empty. Later she would have to get the names of the ponies still in need of long-term care so she could visit with them as well. For now, she had one last loose end to tidy up.

It didn’t take her long to find the adviser she’d spoken with earlier. Walking over to him she kept her voice low as there were still a fair amount of ponies helping to clear debris: “How many prisoners do you have locked in the dungeons?”

“Only a few. Most fled once they felt Princess Lu-- Nightmare Moon’s presence fade.”

Aha! So he knows. I wonder how many others know but keep it secret? No matter, soon everypony will.

“I see. Gather a few of the guards. I’m going to have a little chat with them.”

“As you wish, Princess.” The apprehension in his voice was obvious, but he bowed and trotted off. Since she had sent him off, Celestia remained in his place doing her best to supervise. Fortunately it was only a few minutes before he returned with six guards. She thanked him and informed the guards of her immediate plans. The group made their way silently and unobtrusively down into a small side corridor that led roundabout to the dungeons.

When she stepped into the wing of cells with her escort all of the prisoners eyed her warily. She’d come to decide their fate after all and they had been foolish enough to be caught. For her part, the white alicorn appraised them all in turn. No matter whether it was her own or her sister’s Guard, every member in it was fiercely loyal. She would not let these Night Guards throw their lives away, nor could she simply let them go free to incite more rebellion. Instead, she would appeal to their honor and devotion to her sister.

“We are aware that you have taken up arms against Us, but such was done out of loyalty to the Mistress of Nights. Thus We are willing to forgive your transgressions. We bear you no ill will. We did not destroy your Lady, We merely sealed her away in hope of her redemption. As a gesture of good faith We will tell you something that you must keep secret for the rest of your days, but will ease your hearts: Last night We had a dream, a vision of some distant day. On that day, Princess Luna will return to Equestria and her heart will be changed. She will again be the benevolent ruler She once was.”

She paused, observing their reactions. She could see that one or two were still apprehensive, but most looked relieved. “To those who still have their doubts, We ask that you allow Us to prove our words by allowing Us to share the memory of Our dream with you. We give you Our word that you shall not be harmed. Is this agreeable?”

Hesitant nods from the doubtful ponies. “Open the cells.” she said crisply.

One of the guards stepped forward and opened each cell cautiously. The doubters stepped forward. Celestia closed her eyes and began channeling her spell. One by one she touched her horn to them and their eyes widened in surprise. When it was done, they stepped back, visibly shaken. “Every word she speaks is true.”, rumbled the deep voice of one, “What do you ask of us then Princess? Surely you cannot mean to have us return to duty?”

“No, you are right. At least not at first. Instead, We would like all of you to find the others, the ones that fled after the battle. Convince them of the truth of what I have shown you. Tell them that if they return they will be welcomed, but also caution them that to incite further unrest would be unwise. The time spent in this endeavor should give those affected time to heal emotionally. Even then, most of you will probably be assigned duties outside of the royal palace. Speaking of such, when you return, you will likely find this place empty. Come instead to Canterlot and find me there.”

The group saluted. “We understand Highness. Is there anything else?”
“No. Go now and carry out your orders. Leave using the stealthiest of exits. The situation is still too raw. Seeing all of you about could upset a great many ponies.” The group dispersed slowly, each leaving by different exits. Satisfied, Celestia turned to her guards. “Gather everypony in the castle into the great hall at once. Do not forget the ponies in the morgue.” The guards saluted and left. Celestia made her way to the basements where the remainder of the castle staff were quartered. She nodded to the two guards as they opened the door for her.

As she entered, everypony moved to surround her and began showering her with their thanks. She smiled at them but held up a hoof to silence them. “We are glad to see you all unharmed. The battle is ended now and things are relatively safe. Before you go however there are things you should know. Firstly be aware that some of you may find your quarters being used by ponies who are recovering from their injuries. We ask that they be given priority and that you all do your best to find alternate accommodations temporarily. Secondly, we have asked everypony to gather in the main hall. Let us not be late.” Everypony nodded and the group made their way out of the basements. When they arrived, the hall was already rather full. Those behind her merged with the crowd and it parted around the white alicorn so she could move to the front.

Now had come the moment that she had to tell everypony the details of what happened while their hooves were full at the castle. Celestia realized that she’d been dreading this since she’d decided to tell her subjects what had happened, or at least part of it, and with the telling would come the sad and undeniable reality of the truth - that her sister was gone now and she herself was responsible. Next to all of that, her absolute belief in the prophetic vision from last night was little comfort.

Heart heavy, the Bringer of Days began to address her subjects. “As We look upon you who are gathered here tonight, our heart is lifted to see so many faces. Alas, some of us who were here are no longer. In honor of their bravery let us share in a moment of silence in thanks for their service.” For that instant, a pin dropping would have been deafening against such perfect stillness. Breaking the silence, she continued, “There is something all of you should know about the architect of these events.” Celestia paused to settle herself as grief threatened to overtake her.

Eventually she tightened her hold on the emotional turmoil enough to speak steadily: “Some of you already know this, but for those who may not, Nightmare Moon is... was Princess Luna who had been overtaken by jealousy of Our station. Nightmare Moon was nothing more than that corrupted visage,” Gasps and murmurs erupted and spread quickly among the assemblage. Celestia noted that looks of shock that adorned the majority of the crowd. She let this continue for a brief time and then spoke again, a little more loudly at first to get their attention and then tapering off to normal levels

“None of you need worry! We have sealed Our sister within the Moon, where she will remain. Her threat has passed and those who follow her have been dealt with.” The mood of the crowd shifted instantly from worry and fear to relieved elation. Again she let this feeling settle over the group before continuing: “Because of Our sister’s actions though, many have suffered and this palace is ruined. As such, We have decided to move the royal seat to the palace in the nearby city of Canterlot so that all of us can make a fresh start without the constant reminder of what has happened here.”

Surprise met this pronouncement and everypony tried to speak at once “When will this happen? Where will we live in the meantime? How do we even know Canterlot will accept?”

Silence!” the Sun goddess boomed and everypony shut up. “As yet, Canterlot doesn’t even know. We will send messengers in the morning and work out the details. None of this is going to happen at once. We believe the move will be gradual once the new palace begins to function as this one did and the staff will move into their new quarters as space becomes available and need arises. Until then, very little will change.”

This calmed them and heads were nodding in agreement. “And now it is time that we all got some rest.” At this, the group began to disperse and Celestia went to her own chambers to sleep as best she could, tomorrow was going to be a long day.

---

And so it was that the Palace of the Royal Pony Sisters would pass out of memory and Nightmare Moon would become a spectre to frighten foals.

~*~

Comments ( 16 )

Wow, this is a great chapter to read through.

Anyway,spelling nitpickery away:

She’d come to eek out their fates after all and they had been foolish enough to be caught, For her part, the white alicorn appraised them all in turn

I assume eek should be seek, and there should be a period between caught and for instead of a comma.

Oh, and I also added this to the groups Celestia's Past and Celestia and Luna, since it could use more visibility.

1585220

I'm glad you liked it :twilightsmile:

Eek was actually supposed to be eke but even that doesn't work :unsuresweetie:, now I'm going to find something that works.
---
I didn't know about those groups, thanks a lot! How do groups even work on this site? :derpyderp2:

1585273 I'm not 100% sure on the groups myself, though I'm sure there's some FAQ or anohter that tells you. I just went through and found the groups that this story would fit, joined up and added it to them, shich is nice since those are also types of strories that I'm often interested in

I liked this chapter, but there was one part that didn't really make sense. When Celestia shared the memory of her dream with the night guard. What possible reason could they have to believe her? They had been fighting against her and they had just learned that their mistress had been imprisoned for who knows how long in the moon. For all they knew this "memory of a dream" was just something she made up to stop them from continuing the war. I just can't see how they would believe her without question so soon after rebelling against her. Besides that, keep up the good work.

1585776

TBH I kinda borrowed the idea from what Twilight did with her friends in "The Return of Harmony". I'll admit that it is kinda weak though. If I can find a way to make it more believable, I will.

1585803
Sounds good. If you want a suggestion than I would say have the night guards that are still at large raise those points to the night guards celestia released and go from there. Something like that could work. At any rate, keep up the good work.

1585273
Perhaps you mean "decide their fate"?

“Because of Our sister actions though, many have suffered and this palace is ruined. As such, We have decided to move the royal seat to the palace in the nearby city of Canterlot so that all of us can make a fresh start without the constant reminder of what has happened here.”

This is a bit oddly phrased, I'd suggest rephrasing it to:

“Because of the actions of Our sister though, many have suffered and the palace made into a ruin. We have decided to move the royal seat to the nearby city of Canterlot so that we may all make a fresh start without the constant reminder of what has happened here.”

You shouldn't start the sentence with because, since it's really a conjunction. Without a first thing to join to the second it is out of place. Is there actually a palace in Canterlot? If so, why? If not, then it's all the more important not to imply that there is. Also, then you'd have to build one.

1585776
Perhaps because it offers the hope of her return. Celestia didn't hate Luna or anything, and I doubt Luna could turn her guards into Celestia hating ponies in so short a time. It seems likely that they simply feared for their lives, because they refused to be disloyal to Luna and deserve Celestia's punishment for rebelling. If they are still sane, they probably feel that they are to blame for the loss of life, despite where their loyalties lie. Thusly they are willing to be sent away and relieved that Luna is not dead/gone permanently.

1585820
Seems reasonable. It is possible that some, if not all, share Luna's perception of Celestia as overbearing and perhaps too controlling.

1588796

Suggested corrections will be made momentarily.

Also, your conception of the Lunar Guards in that scene is pretty much what I had in mind, except, if not rebellion then some sort of ritual suicide or something like that. "Death before dishonor" I think comes closest.

After considering it, I'm not sure that would fit though and thus your idea has more merit than mine, but Duffman18's idea is interesting. The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure how to fit a scene like that into the story, considering what I've got planned in my head :twilightoops:

This story is sure is collecting a lot of deleted scenes :facehoof:

EDIT: Changes made. Also, "Eke out their fates" has become "mete out"

1589056
Do you look up these words before switching them? I'm not trying to compel you to change it, but I proposed decide before because she was compelling them to do something which effect things in the end. I just feel like Mete still isn't quite right, as their fate isn't something Celestia really does to them.

From Google:
mete/mēt/
Verb: Dispense or allot (justice or a punishment).
Noun: A boundary or boundary stone.
Synonyms:
verb. measure - gauge - allot - apportion - allocate
noun. border - boundary - bound - limit - frontier - borderline

When you say deleted scenes do you mean stuff that was removed after publishing here, stuff that was written but not published or stuff that wasn't written at all but might have been?

If you tell us what you have in mind I'd be happy to give you my opinion, but you may as well write it out at least unless you'd really prefer it to go otherwise.

P.S. I feel like Celestia's outward expression isn't really representing her inward feelings. It feels a bit wrong that she won't confide in them her sadness over the loss of her sister. After all in a way she has to deal with some of the same kind of loss they do, she'll get to see her again but she'll miss Luna for probably ten times the age they'll live to be. Also, I know it's cliche, but it seems dumb that she doesn't feel any guilt. Maybe she's still in shock, and not really reflecting on the circumstances, yet.

1589441

RE: Mete -
Yes, I did look it up beforehand and it certainly sounded like what I wanted.]]

All I can say is that it was kinda written with the guards' point of view in mind *shrugs* I'll fix it.

RE: Deleted scenes:

As in stuff that in my head I wanted to include but as things were actually written out I just couldn't find any way to include them. Most were minor details though.

As for what comes next, I'd rather not spoil anything here so I'll send you a PM about it in a few minutes

WRT Celestia:

I either don't understand what you mean by Celestia's not expressing guilt or I just don't write it well. Chapter 2 was supposed to be all about her guilt. and there are still little bits of it at the beginning of Chapter 3. As for her unwillingness to confide in her subjects, well I don't honestly see her doing that at all... to me she seems like she carries the weight of the world on her shoulders and doesn't let anyone help. Also, since she IS their ruler, that seems like a line she wouldn't cross.

Also, one other thing: I thought about the level of Celestia's loss versus that of her subjects while I was writing this... and I think the families of the guardsponies have it worse... their loved ones are gone, period. Celestia at least has the hope that she'll see her sister again.

Ignore the above, I thought about what you said some more and you're right... I suspect it would be harder on Celestia - she'd have to wait a long time whereas everyone else would eventually learn to cope with the loss. That's going to have to be addressed I think, probably in the opening of th next chapter unless it's really crucial that it be handled in Chapter 3.

1589526
Just a quick explanation. When I say Celestia isn't expressing guilt I mean that there isn't any introspection, in a sense, as to why Luna did this. Celestia is only really sorry about banishing her and missing her. She hasn't explored the reasons or whether she might bear some blame for Luna's state of mind/behavior.

Maybe they do have it worse, but as you pointed out once they cope with the loss and move on it doesn't hurt them anymore in some sense. They won't even to have to deal with the notion that the cause of their suffering is out there walking around living their life without consequences (cause she's trapped in the moon). Aside from suffering for a long time and having plenty of time to second guess her actions and blame herself for not noticing sooner or not acting sufficiently to prevent the casualties that occurred, there are other things Celestia still has to deal with. For one, Luna is not going to come out of this as the pony she was before all this happened; her actions resulted in the death of ponies. She doesn't have any backup if she wants to take a day off, she'll have to endure the burden of immortality without anyone to talk to who really understands. I could probably come up with more, but I think you can see where I'm going here.

1590274

I wish I knew how to quote pieces of posts here

I take it Chapter 2 wasn't good enough or you? Hmm... what did I do wrong?

All I can say to the next part (or am willing to say in the thread) is read the PM I sent you... I'm planning on dealing with that, believe me. Your comments have given me another idea for a chapter though :D and possibly a way to explore Duffman18's idea! :yay:

1590359
You use the quote button (it's the one to the right of the YouTube button on the bar) for that. Just copy the text into your reply, then select the text you want in the quote box thingy and push the quote button. You could also just type 'quote' and '\quote' and surround each with [ and ]. Basically it's a quote tag, think HTML.

Like This

Thanks for reminding me, chapter 2 seems to slip my mind a little. It might be because it's mostly a dream sequence. It's not that you did anything wrong, you didn't, I just think she'd be more open about her feelings. Perhaps I impose what I think makes sense onto the character unfairly. It's kind of my view that Celestia, at least in canon, doesn't really desire the limelight. I mean I'm sure it's pleasant, but I see it as she does things more for duty's sake than because it's pleasant and is somewhat oblivious to the bootlicking. Perhaps familiarity breeds forgetfulness? Probably just a matter of opinion.

Heh, I hope so? I'd be interested in some detail of the 1,000 year waiting period. Honestly, it seems like a lot of people skip over most of because all the detail of a 1000 years would be painfully tedious to write about. Although it seems odd that they prefer the beginning and end and don't seem to do anything in the middle anywhere. Err, okay, good luck with those ideas. :ajsmug:

1591244

Thanks for reminding me, chapter 2 seems to slip my mind a little. It might be because it's mostly a dream sequence. It's not that you did anything wrong, you didn't, I just think she'd be more open about her feelings. Perhaps I impose what I think makes sense onto the character unfairly. It's kind of my view that Celestia, at least in canon, doesn't really desire the limelight. I mean I'm sure it's pleasant, but I see it as she does things more for duty's sake than because it's pleasant and is somewhat oblivious to the bootlicking. Perhaps familiarity breeds forgetfulness? Probably just a matter of opinion.

That's... actually close to how I feel. The thing with the limelight is that she has it, whether she wants it or not. That's what makes her such an awesome ruler IMO. The best leaders are the ones that don't want the job. The difference is that, to me, Celestia doesn't want to share her problems because rulers don't share this sort of thing with their subjects, although she does have her advisor(s) so she may feel close enough to them to share. *ponder*

Is this still an active story or have you dropped it or quit?

Login or register to comment