• Published 30th Dec 2011
  • 935 Views, 12 Comments

When Lightning Strikes... - neighsmith



you find yourself trotting along, life far behind you, memories fading into nothing but a nightmare

  • ...
 12
 935

Chapter 5B: ...To Light A Fuze

Chapter 5B: ...To Light A Fuze



The show started with a bang. Explosions of reds and blues painted the sky, as many more rockets succintly streaked up towards the smoke laden air to replace their finished brethren. Each magnificent display lit up the night, dueling one another for supremacy. Every spectacle filled second becoming more glorious than the last. Purple stars, golden showers, green diamonds, and many more shapes completely emptied your mind of every thought as you just marveled in their beauty.

Once again, reality kicked you in the head, the timeless wonder you had been enjoying faded into the background as a gentle nudge from Fuze caught your attention.

“Yes Fuze? What is it?” you say, holding back your impatience.

“I was just wondering what you thought of the show?” he asks, his eyes averting yours, his hooves listlessly swinging in circles. He almost looks nervous... Oh who am I kidding? Fuze? Nervous? Ha! That would be the day...

“Oh, I think it is just awesome!” you say, your enthusiasm earnest.

“Like super awesome? Like so awesome you could just explode?” he asks, tilting his head so that his eyes lock with yours. The sudden movement swishes his mane, deftly landing perfectly around his shoulders. His expression is expressed perfectly in his orange eyes: it was one of hope.

You try to suppress the oncoming giggle, fearing embarrassing yourself, but it comes out all the same. “Like so awesome that I could explode twice.”

Fuze gasps and says, “Oh my gosh! Can a pony do that? Can they just, explode twice?”

A full on laugh escapes you, “Oh Fuzey, you are just so... random.”

He looks distraught and asks, “Is that a good thing? ‘Cause I know that I am really random, and talkative, and that is what most ponies don’t like about me. And I really want you to like-” he quickly shoves a hoof in his mouth and blushes. After his vascular show of embarrassment subsides, he says quickly adds, “I’m worry, I wuf twiing twoo sway-”

“Fuze, you, um, still have your hoof in your mouth,” you say, slightly uncomforted by the fact that you can't understand him. Like I can normally... you sarcastically conclude.

He pulls it out and with a sheepish smile says, “I’m sorry, what I was trying to say was that I want my new friend to like me, and not think that I’m annoying... That’s normal, right? Something that regular friends do?”

“Yes Fuze, it’s normal for friends to like each other as friends,” you say, confused.

He just nods and looks back at the fireworks. His Fireworks. His work of art. His beauty. You notice that with each rain of color, every single brilliant explosion, that his mane lights up, the aurora from the multiple luminous explosions seem to be an extension of his color, each one individually highlighting his natural complexion. The various, but distinct hues make his orange and blue hairs blend with the untold wonder of the night show. Luna’s starry sky. Her stars shone bright, so perfectly accented with these pyrotechnics. The phosphorescent orbs mix effortlessly into the scene, disappearing with the flashes and reappearing in their wake.

it’s no wonder that she personally employs him, she who made the night for ponies who remember little of its meaning. I don’t think that either of the Princesses could compare with his work, though. Sure Luna’s sky is wonderful, and Celestia's day illuminating, but I have always found them lacking. The former lacking the glaring shine of the day, while the latter is lacking the shear scope of the night. But this, what Fuze has made, is mind blowing. It is subtle yet loud, colorful, yet also dark. It makes art out of chaos; it’s truly amazing. I think that, that maybe I’m in love. A contented sigh escapes you. You close your eyes, the cacophony of explosions plays like a bass line for a song. A soft melody plays through your head, sad and mournful. A quiet humming escapes your lips and you lay your head down on Fuze’s shoulder.

Fuze shakes and says loudly, “Oh my gosh!”

You lift your head ever so slightly and ask questioningly, “What is it Fuze?”

“That song! Oh I have to write a song that fits that tune you were humming!” he says.

“Sure Fuze,” a condescending smile plays out across your face. You lie back down, only to be poked by Fuze again. The only reason I’m not going to strangle him now is because I love him, but this is pushing it!

“Yes Fuze? What is it?” you ask with a forced smile. The look of nervousness, however, quickly sobers you and impels you listen intently.

“I have to tell you something, but if I tell you this, you have to promise not to hate me,” he says, worry showing on his face.

“I could never! I Pinkie Promise!” you say indignantly.

“Really? Say it then.” He looks less worried, but not like himself still.

“Say what?” you asked, confused.

“The Pinkie Promise!”

“Oh, here goes...” you say, completing forgetting the words. “What was it again?” you ask, smiling sheepishly.

He sighs, then says, “Cross my heart,”

You repeat, “Cross my heart,”

“…hope to fly,”

“…hope to fly,”

“…stick a cupcake in my eye,” he finishes.

“…stick a cupcake in my eye.” you finish a moment after him.

“Okay then,” a new look of confidence in his eyes. “What I’ve been meaning to tells you is that...” the rest of his words are mumbled, too quiet for you to hear.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t quite catch that,” You say.

“What I’ve been trying to tell you is that I kinda like...”

“Mumbling still,” you smile, unaware of what he is trying to say.

“Well, me and you have been freinds, and I found out that I kinda like, that I kinda lo-, whenever I’m around you, I feel like I’m...”

No way. Is he saying that, he likes... Is it possible?, you manage to think, currently too stunned to feel anything more complex. As you come to grips with what he is trying to say, you suddenly find his incoherent blathering too adorable to resist. After deciding to meet him half-way, you close the distance between you and him. You whisper in his ear, “What does it feel like whenever I’m with you?” after soft nuzzle, you continue, “Do you like me, Fuzey?” After a bit of repositioning, you find him face to face with you. A fire of a blush rages across his face as he mutters incoherent nonsense, He is probably just to stunned to react. He finally manages a slight nod, and then pushes his muzzle up against yours. The passionate kiss that caught you unaware suppresses every emotion and reality that you felt.

Have you ever really realized how much of a troll life is? Because just before you were about to add a little something you picked up while in prance to the kiss, a surprisingly loud boom interrupts you both. Woah, that sounded way to close... A fire in the not-as-far-as-you-would-like distance breaks out. You hear ponies screaming, and you are not sure what happened until you look at the fire and realize that it is the old library that is ablaze. Oh my Celestia! All of those poor, poor foals! A rush of air knocks you over and you hear Fuze shout from the distance,

“Buck! I’m going to save them Sparky! Celestia please, don’t let any of them -” his voice trailed off into the now barren night as he ran off.

You sit there dazed, not knowing what to do. You stand and slowly make your way through the crowd. As it finally dawns on you that Fuze just ran after a burning building, you become panicked, as you fear for his safety. As adrenaline pumps into your blood, you scream and pick up your speed. You push and shove past anypony that is in your way, not caring for anything otherwise, except to find Fuze safe and sound.
When you make it to the building, Firecolts are spraying the house with water, trying desperately to extinguish the fire. About twelve foals were outside, adorned with shocked faces and a few minor scrapes and burns. As nurses attend to them, you hear a panicked teacher answer a question with,

“I don’t know who he is, but he just ran in and started to grab foals, there is only one more colt in there,” she said, tears evident on his face.

Fuze is still inside! I got to go help him! I won’t lose him too! You push past a Firecolt, who is busy spraying the house, and run inside the building.

~~~


The smoky air immediately permeates your lungs, sending you into a coughing fit. Your eyes sting, and broken glass on the floor cuts the bottom your hooves. Determined, you push past the pain and forge ahead with your search, yelling and calling Fuze’s name. After ten minutes of searching you see him lying there. A burning beam is lying on top of him with an unconscious foal next to his body. Running, you use your shoulder to push the charred wood off of his body and yell, “Wake up! Fuzey wake up! Please!” your voice cracks with sadness and you pick him up. Blood oozes out of his many wounds. You don’t even know how to even begin to help him. One of his eyes opens, and he smiles.

“Fuze? Can you hear me?” you choke out.

After a wracking cough he says, “Don’t you dare leave me.”

Taken aback by his darker sounding comment, you ask, “What?”

He says, “I’m dying, and if you try to save me and kill yourself, I don’t know, I can’t even begin to think-” a tear escapes from his eyes and he starts to sob. His mean facade vanishes and he cries out, “I’ll miss you! I won’t be able to make another firework, or laugh again! I won’t have my best friend. It won't be fair! And so, if I can't have you, the world won’t have me." His voice was growing weaker and smaller with every passing second. With his final breath he says, “I don’t want to live in a world without you,” his eye slips close and he goes silent.

You search his body for signs of life, but find none. You cry and scream and curse. Finally you drop his body onto the charred floor and slump beside him. As pain and heat floods your senses, you think back to his last words, “I don’t want to live without you.” Some part of your sanity breaks and you stand up, albeit a little shakily. You scream at Fuze’s body, “Well you don’t have a choice!” Summoning a large bolt of pure white lightning to your horn, you plunge it directly into his chest. His whole body has a spasm, but then lays flat against the ground. A throbbing sensation pours through your head. Starved of oxygen and pushing your magical stamina, you try again, meeting similar results. You fall to your haunches and fall over, a dark haze settling over everything. I tried Fuze. Maybe me and Moonshine and you will all meet, I bet she would like you... you last breath escapes your body, but you continue to think, I think I’ve forgotten what it feels like to fly. Well, I’m ready to relearn... your eyes close.

Two motionless bodies lay on the ground. Fire raged round them, all the sparks of their life faded from their entwining fires that made up their lives. The fuze had stopped burning. All was quiet except for the crackle of burning wood.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Authors note: Hahaha! almost finished with the story! But that wouldn't be possible without the help of Mobius or Cosmic, now would it? So a round of applause for them! Huzzah!