• Published 30th Dec 2011
  • 3,598 Views, 68 Comments

MLP: Starswirl of Solaris - Evident Disaster



Nightmare defeats the mane 6, however their fates are spared as Twilight gifts them another chance.

  • ...
13
 68
 3,598

Chapter 6

CH6

Desires and Dreams

XXXXX

Shadow Star Castle

Luna looked at the usual stack of letters and official paper work being stacked in front of her, her court had taken a break for the time, half of those present to see her were just there for complaining about the lack of sun, and something about the location of the gala. But she would have none of it, the gala was to be held at the new capital and if they didn’t like it they didn’t need to attend, but with so many nobles relying on the support of those rich and in power, it was too much to lose for a simple disagreement.

However Luna had come to terms with a few ponies that seemed to get her attention, such as a noble named Fancy Pants and Tan Dapper, the few other nobles who seemed to have a more ‘noble’ intent rather than just grooming power and wealth. Then there were the really annoying ponies that seemed to just press their luck. As if on cue, the doors to the court suddenly opened, a lot of shouting and clamouring from the only pony that Luna would have just sent into the dungeons or have had executed.

“Auntie this is outrageous, I have to pay for my trips here? Aunt Celestia would have never have done this to me!” He whined.

Luna stepped up from her onyx throne and faced the pompous prince.
“Well Blueblood maybe it’s time for a change, from next week I shall be removing your allowance…” The prince was about to object until Luna’s eyes glowed and suddenly the prince was choking on his words. And Luna continued.

“You shall also be doing your own work in Ponyville starting as of next week; I’ll have one of my guards begin compiling some papers for your employment in the developing town, and you shall be treated as like every other pony. And I shall even tell my guards to alert everypony of no special treatment. So now that’s settled, do you have any objections?” She growled as she continued to choke the prince.

He shook his head as it began to turn a little blue, a thought of dark humour ran through Luna about the prince, before she dropped him ungracefully on the floor of the throne room and then pointed out to the door.
“Now GET OUT!” She spoke with the sound of rolling thunder.

The prince stammered to himself but then bolted right out the door, the passing guards looking bemused at the prince, they had nothing to fear from their queen. As soon as Blueblood left the throne room was quiet and reserved once more. And then a voice asked.
“Was that really necessary?”

Luna turned her head around to see that Twilight had entered the throne room from the right side of the court doorway; it was a private entrance for the princess and for Twilight. Luna replied.
“The pompous foal wouldn’t learn to get a hint, so might as well throw him a warning and a bone; he’ll be busy with causing havoc in Ponyville and keeping his hooves from annoying me. And I’d rather not have a damned reminder of my family’s history suddenly catching up.”

Twilight looked at Luna and asked.
“He’s family?”

Luna threw a glance and replied.
“A cousin’s descendant, from a long time ago, from the original Blue Blitz, sadly it seemed that his respect and sense of control didn’t pass onto his children.”

“I see, so how has your day been?” Twilight asked looking around at the few stacks of paper that were now accumulating on the ground.

“My rule is very tiring, and I am getting tired of these ‘nobles’, it has changed surely, however it seems my sister’s lack of control has these fools thinking that they can challenge the royalty of the kingdom. I intend not to make the same mistakes Twilight, these ponies will fear me before they speak out and they will respect that, or suffer the consequences for their arrogance.” She stated clearly.

“Hmm, so you want to punish anyone who just happens to make a simple mistake in wording or an opinion?” Twilight asked.

“No, just the fools I see who know well that openly challenging my authority.” Luna replied.

Twilight nodded.
“Luna, you know about control, I think that Celestia alleviating the strict attitude of the past gave way to birth of free expression and prosperity, and you trying to bring the old rules back into this day and age might not be the best thing.”
Luna shot a look at Twilight and said.

“My reign is as it will be Twilight, I do not take lightly to their arrogance, and if ignorance is one thing, I do not take well to the purposeful arrogance of those who should know better. Besides when have you taken an interest in what I do?”
Twilight replied.

“Only since you took power I’ve kept my eyes on what you’re trying to do. And also out of care, I know that you’ve been rather direct since our talk.”
She knew what this was about, the challenge over just a week before; Twilight had truly displayed herself from the feelings of Luna. But then again this wasn’t Luna, it was a doppelganger, a clone of Twilight, but she was right on the mark.
“I would rather not discuss this now Twilight.”

“Why because you can’t see that I am my own mare? Being a unicorn like her and then having to realise she doesn’t love you?” She retorted.

The tension in the air was literally palpable, and then Luna raised her hoof and announced.
“Court is closed for today, guards exit.”

The Lunar Knights did as ordered without question, the private matters of royalty were with royalty, and it wasn’t their place to inquire. The doors slammed shut and the guards quickly silenced any complaints from the nobles and officials outside about what was suddenly happening. There was a group of unicorns who suddenly sealed the area with a silence spell.

Luna sighed, this was just what she had been trying to avoid for the whole week.
“What makes you think I could ever love you?” She asked the clone with some disquieted underlying tone.

“Because you know that the real Twilight never could love you, you saw it when you first said that you loved her over a fortnight ago, she doesn’t want you, she doesn’t know what to look for in you, there’s nothing amiable you’re doing now and there wasn’t anything that she could see back then. And now you’re emotionally hurt by my opposition you decide that I can’t love you?” Twilight replied with distress rising in her voice.

“What you are is nothing more than a pest! Becoming like my sister, planning and plotting my fall, brandishing hidden weapons, or hiding simple plans under a web of tricks. I only see my sister in you, a fool who let the sun shine and my moon dim, where was my happiness? Where is it now?” Luna felt her temper peak enough as she bellowed.

The chamber was starting to shake from the exchange of anger between the two.
“You know that if you saw it in me, I wasn’t trying to oppose you, I was trying to defend my one most cherished thing, and you know who.”

Luna laughed mirthlessly. “She would never accept you as her mother; you’re nothing but chemicals and water put together. I gave you a spark to breathe, and Celestia gave you a spark of life, and now all I see is a fool, who puts her faith in lies. What do you want Evenfall? Freedom, peace, powers, what is it that you want?”
“I want to live.” Twilight answered.

Luna paused and looked at the clone with confusion, it didn’t make any sense.
“Well you have your life, why not leave? Why not just go?” She asked in bewilderment.

“Because you’re wrong, and you’re still ignoring the fact that I’m trying to tell you something obvious!” She shouted.
Luna looked around and then turned her attention back and asked.

“What?!”

“I love you…” Twilight Evenfall shouted with squinted eyes.

Luna felt her body freeze and she stared at the mare and then had her mouth agape and then closed it before she just sat there and then contemplated what had just been exchanged between them. She couldn’t respond, had the clone just confirm that she loved her? This was beyond what she was expecting, well… She just sat there and didn’t know how to take the news. Was this serious?

Twilight continued on.
“You should know better, I hold memories of Celestia and Twilight, in fragments and her emotions, but also the emotions of Twilight and her memories, and they all say two different things, and then when I look at you it only makes me wish that I could be with you. Because Celestia misses you, Twilight might be apprehensive, but she cares for anyone who suffers, and then I’m with both and suddenly I can’t just let you wander around, I just want Luna…”

Before she could say anything else the mare was staring into the eyes of Luna, who was right in front of her, her dragon like eyes staring into her own lavender eyes. She stared for a moment and then withdrew her head.
“You know, I miss her too. And now that I see you for who you are Twilight, I can see that you’re right, but do you know why I love you?”

“Why?” Twilight asked.

“Because you’re like me, naïve, brash, easy to provocation, always being over analytical and caring, but I have held myself at distance with Celestia, and my people. Because you know what I see?” Luna asked. Twilight shook her head.

“Because they’re scared of me, they don’t know me, yet Twilight, you reflect me, in more ways than one, being angered by the lack of their understanding, and their ignorance, but enlightening to what they have to offer. And yet caring for what I do. I loved that about you… always thinking about everypony around you, and maybe forgetting someone, but you seem learn, and that’s why I love you. For being what I couldn’t be.” Luna finished and soon felt something warm.

Twilight had walked from her position and had her hooves around her in a tight hug, Luna stood there frozen with surprise, and then she hugged back. Twilight asked in a whisper.
“You know, now that you say that, you are what I wanted you to be, happy, free, loved, please just let me be with you, in happiness. Isn't that what you want?”

Luna sat there contemplating what she said.
“Yes.” She replied.

“Then let me find us freedom.” Twilight said in the silent court.

XXXXX

“Oh Horseapples!” Starswirl muttered to herself.

She had lost one of the tickets meanwhile Rarity and Pinkie had been going at it for a while, and then there came the neighbourhood to the rescue. Fluttershy had been in town for the day when Starswirl had her tickets and so self assertively added to the conversation.
“Umm Starswirl, I know we haven’t been so well conversed, however I’d like to ask you…”

“If I could spare the ticket for you as well?” Starswirl deadpanned.

“Yes.” She said optimistically.

“UGH.” Starswirl wasn’t having her day today.

Rainbow Dash appeared and started up a whole new can of beans to add to this.
“Hey get your hooves off my ticket!”

“Rainbow Dash, what are you doing here?” Starswirl threw a glare.

The rainbow maned Pegasus smiled sheepishly and said in her defence.
“I was keeping an eye out for my ticket…”

And then came the heavy hoof falls from AJ who appeared in a heavy dust cloud.
“Now hang on one picking moment.”

“Applejack what are you doing here?” Starswirl threw the farm pony an equally annoyed look.

“Hey now, I was keeping my eye on this one.” She pointed her hoof at Rainbow.

And then they all.
“WHAT’S GOING ON HERE?” Roared the voice of a very robust male.

They turned to see a cloister of Lunar guards, they didn’t have the armour like the knights did, but they had the same mark of Luna so it was easy to tell that they were here for security. Starswirl explained.
“It’s nothing officers, just having a discussion over a certain dilemma.”

The senior of the group of Lunar Guards eyed Starswirl and then remembered his position.
“Princess Starswirl as much as you maybe the daughter of the queen you should know better than to block the road, you should be doing this at another location where there’s not going to be more ponies arriving, now I can see why that there’s this, ‘discussion’ and it should not be held here and shouldn’t be escalated into petty fighting.”

Starswirl realised what he thought was going on.
“Good gracious sir, that’s nothing like what I meant, this isn't a traffic incident we’re arguing over a ticket to the Gala this spring.”

The officer in charge blushed a little and then apologised.
“My apologies princess, however it still shouldn’t be held here, it doesn’t seem appropriate to have an argument on the main road. But yes, my apologies.”

“You are forgiven, now may I ask who are you?” Starswirl inquired.

“Yeah and what’s the rush for?” Rainbow penned.

“Oh is it a rescue with a damsel in distress or maybe it might be a legionary attack from Caesar? Maybe super ponies with legion badges and dragons…” Pinkie Pie ranted about random universal rule breaking things while everyone went back to the main topic at hoof.

The others also wanted to know about these oddly armoured and clothed Lunar Guards.
“I am Lunar Guard, Ranger rank, Diam is my first name, and my last name is private. I was under orders to stretch my unit across all of Ponyville to maintain order and also, clean up traffic.” He muttered the last bit with resentment.

“You came here as road guards?” Rainbow began laughing.

“Okay now I have fallen to the lowest point in my career.” A black Pegasus said with annoyance.

“Oh come on man, let it go, we’re here for a week and then we get to get canter off for a 1 month break.” A deep grey coated earth pony said.

“Will you two shut up already; don’t you see we have royalty to attend to first?” Pitcher the grey pony with a cutie mark of a metal hoof and a metal cup, which looked very out of place.

"Yes thank you for stating the obvious..." The other colt retorted.

Before this could go on any further, their CO shouted.
"You two better shut the buck up before I decide to hoof whip you both with my steel leggings."

"Sorry sir." They both replied.

The sargeant was about to smash his head into a wall if this continued on with those morons, but alas even the infallible armies of the night had their own internal issues.
"Okay, milady is there anything you'd require us to do for the love of the night?" He asked in a rather angsty tone.

Starswirl addressed him with.
"Yes, I sort of lost a ticket to the grand galloping gala, I was going to go look for it, but now that you're willing to help, could you go find it for me?"

The sargeant was thankful that he'd have some detour from this wreck of a patrol, and agreed earnestly.
"Of course princess Starswirl as you command, we'll go."

The night guards hurried off in single file with the sargeant whipping his troop into order and going off looking at a random location for the ticket. Starswirl only commented as they left.
"Do they realise that they're going in the oppositie direction of the ticket?"

The others simply repleid. "Nah."
XXXXXX

AN: Apologies
Now hear this, the story has been rather precarious with design, and i apologise if this wasn't what you were expecting, there's been a lot happening and this fic was supposed to have this chapter as a massive plot twist with some drama, but i've saved that for the next 2 chapters which is specifically why this one is going to be short. The next one coming is a real big twist and one that many of you might be surprised about, as thing's begin to heat up. Well i'll reply to whatever questions in due time, for now goodnight.