• Published 30th Dec 2011
  • 3,597 Views, 68 Comments

MLP: Starswirl of Solaris - Evident Disaster



Nightmare defeats the mane 6, however their fates are spared as Twilight gifts them another chance.

  • ...
13
 68
 3,597

Chapter 2

CH2
XXXXX
Homecoming…
XXXXX

When Twilight, now Starswirl awoke the next morning, she thought about the conversation from last night, Nightmare Moon had admitted it, she loved Twilight! But for what reason? Twilight had none of the answers however Nightmare promised that she’d tell her once the time came, for now she had the arduous task of facing the coming storm, going to Ponyville. She was going to see her friends again and her favourite number one assistant. She smiled at the thoughts of going to Ponyville, her home, but it also disturbed her, she was going to go see them and not be able to tell them of who she was. She was supposed to be a vegetable who now served the new ruler of Equestria.

She had a restless night, or morning, she had no clue as to what time it was and Nightmare promised to have somepony start constructing new clocks with definite timing systems to allow everyone to know what time it was to sleep, or something to help sort out the problem with timing. Twilight drifted through her own mind, thinking about what was to come, her parents were going to see her and all of her friends, but now under the guise she was gone and Starswirl was to inherit her magical traits and prowess as the daughter of Twilight and Nightmare.

The idea of having the backstory of being the daughter of herself and the queen made her feel sick, the idea of raping another pony was a taboo, but it couldn’t be helped, it was either that or having to make up some ridiculous story which would be more transparent than glass. Still acting out the part was not in Twilight’s forte, she had never tried acting like a young mare like herself, and she had never even seen any of the plays of drama or even proper theatre.

She just prayed that she would pull it off without raising much suspicion. It was another few hours until the announcement came, she woke up with her hair a mess and she quickly went and cleaned it up before breakfast. As if on cue the door was knocked on 3 times. She answered.
“Come in.”

The doors magically opened and the stone pony servant appeared with a single tray of milk and cereal, he also brought in a few dandelion waffles and sauce. She felt hungrier when she saw the tray filled with such delicious food. “Thanks.” She said as the pony then walked off without a word.

The stone golems had piqued her interests for a while, looking at them she could see something different about them, they looked like ponies, yet they had the colour of marble and acted rather autonomously, Nightmare let her read a book on what the golems were supposed to be, loyal guards who served their creator without question, they don’t feel fear or death they just obey. She had her reservations about the stone golems. The stone creatures obeyed only those who create them, but what happens if that being is an evil creature? She couldn’t ponder on the thought as time counted down; she needed to hurry to join Nightmare at the front gates.

The mare quickly finished her breakfast and grooming before she headed back out the room and asked the stone golem to take her straight to the carriage. Before Twilight had left the room she had packed 3 bags, books which she had ordered from her golem to take up for her, the library had a dozen copies on each anyway. Nightmare had allowed for Twilight to study the darker arts of magic; however the more powerful defence and morphing spells to defend her and others, there was also something on golems she wished to use.

Once they arrived at the gates where their carriage was awaiting them, Twilight finally saw where they were, outside had thick mist which seemed to stretch forever into the darkness, and that was when she realised that it wasn’t mist, those were clouds. The whole castle was in the cloud layer, they were in a floating fortress. Twilight wished she could see more of the whole castle, but the heavy cloud layers made that impossible.

Twilight arrived at the carriage where there were 4 guard golems and 2 other ponies, one being Nightmare herself, but the other was lavender, Twilight was looking at a pony with exactly the same face as once was hers, she had a starburst cutie mark, her mane had a pink stripe, and her complexion was dreary, this Twilight was a worn down pony dressed in smooth silks and had a strange amount of markings on her body.

“Well greetings Starswirl have a nice sleep?” Nightmare asked.

Twilight- Starswirl broke her eye contact with the other version of her former self and replied.
“Not really, I’ve just been thinking about the whole idea about this…” She replied eyeing her other form closely with unease.

“Don’t worry about her, she’s not really you, she’s an empty shell I made to replicate you, she’s got basic movement and the ability to obey and she has your blood to ensure that should anyone test the theory about if she was real they’d get their answer. Besides, it doesn’t matter to you now does it? You’re already dead, taking the agreement that seals your fate, bound as Starswirl, the daughter of Nightmare Moon and Twilight Sparkle.” Nightmare reminded her.

Starswirl nodded. “Okay, let’s just get this on…”

She hopped into the carriage next to Nightmare and the clone of her once happy self, the stone golems who were to take them reared up and magically sprouted wings, in moments they were airborne from the castle and heading to the land below.

The trip through the skies was different, it seemed that the eternal night had brought with it a bit of a chill, the ponies surely would be freezing from the effects but Nightmare commented.
“Don’t worry about the morning temperature; it’s always like that now. I hate it anyway and I hadn't really thought out that much on trying to summon something warmer…” She mumbled to herself.

The carriage made its way to Ponyville in a few minutes; Twilight absolutely dreaded the thought of facing the ponies of the nice town, not to mention her 5 friends. She was supposed to be a slave for Nightmare and Starswirl her daughter was supposed to be working as the public relations for Nightmare and the rest of Equestria, in some sort of fashion considering Starswirl had absolutely no clue as to how relations between tyrants and people even worked.

Golem Twilight shuffled about as they made their last approach to Ponyville, down in the town centre there was a buzz of activity, a massive platform had been erected for the announcement and a dozen golem guards were waiting for the carriage to arrive. Everypony in Ponyville was there to watch the coming of the new ruler of the kingdom, Starswirl could just make out her friends from above, and they were hidden alright. They were the only ponies who had taken to wearing cloaks and hats, which in hindsight it doesn’t seem so well hidden in a population where the use of clothes is very scarce except during winter and occasions of formality.

The carriage landed down behind the platform and Nightmare stepped off first, she was then followed by Twilight and Starswirl who had decided to hide behind the two. Nightmare’s arrival sparked a murmur from the crowd of hundreds of ponies who looked on at the new ruler with fear and uncertainty. Nightmare kept her arrogant aura of supremacy to an all-time high as she addressed them.

“My loyal subjects, I have finally returned, and as the new regent of Equestria it seems you have been blessed, my power now feeds your crops through the light of my moon and the lands will continue to exist under the guise of eternal night. From this night forward the kingdom of Equestria bows down to me!” She punctuated the last bit with gusto before pausing.

Everypony had their attention directly to Nightmare unaware that there were even 2 other bodies next to her, that was until she introduced them. “Now, I must announce a new order of things to come, first shall be my legions of warriors from the Lunar Knights who have been banished from the lands during the great exile of my defeat, they will be coming back into Equestria as law enforcers. These golems however…’ she pointed to the stone ponies. ‘…will be in charge of security of every town and city in Equestria, anyone who attacks one of them shows disobedience to the law of the kingdom and directly opposes me, the consequence for such actions will be met harshly!”

“As ruler I shall also be bringing forth the introduction of a new military, there will be enlistment for those who wish to join for the greater Equestrian cause to expand and protect our homelands. And as of this Friday it shall now be called casual Friday, somepony had left me the note in my mail box before vanishing so I assume that it was a request?” She said perplexed.

There was a minor squeak in the background somewhere but then the queen continued.
“And finally as a last announcement, I have brought with me my new lover Twilight Sparkle and our daughter Starswirl…” She stood aside from Starswirl and she was in the open. Starswirl blushed furiously and tried to hide herself again. Being a bookworm for most of her life, the prime spotlight for the unicorn wasn’t somewhere she liked to be seen.

“My dear daughter is a bit shy, I must admit and being only born 1 day ago with the enhancement of magic. I can be certain that she has much to learn yet… my dear lover Twilight here had decided to ask for Starswirl to live her life out in Ponyville until she is old enough to decide for herself. And of course I do like to make a point for those who were friends with my dear Twilight to appear.” She stated clearly enough to make everypony look around.

After a minute when they didn’t, Nightmare summoned her magic and plucked the 5 friends into the air. Rainbow was attempting to fly away, Applejack was kicking in the air, Fluttershy was frozen still, Rarity was a little frazzled and Pinkie was looking a bit better when they heard that Twilight was still alive. They landed in a neat pile on the end of the stage, the 5 clustered up, with Rainbow at the front ready to pounce.
“Oh don’t be like that, you’re fools to oppose me, and where has that gotten you? A friend who is now ashamed to look at you, and her daughter with her memories of how you left her to rot?” She laughed coldly.

“We didn’t leave her, she made us leave!” AJ defended.

Rarity pleaded to the golem Twilight who stared at them absently.
“Please Twilight comeback to us, we planned on getting you out from her grasp…”

“That won’t be necessary; your dear friend Twilight had made it clear when she bargained with me.” Nightmare let a cruel smile appear on her face.

“What?” They all exclaimed.

Nightmare enlightened them. “Your friend obliged me with conditions to how Equestria would be safe as long as she remained as my servant. I would forever be allowed to abuse her in any fashion, and she would remain with me till the end of time. The conditions were that, you would be left alone, unless you directly oppose me, the moon would feed the lands with magical light, there would be no conflict with any nations as Twilight had wished to specify in order to keep the lands from being overrun by whoever, and her daughter would remain with you, her most dearly trusted friends in order to live in happiness rather than seclusion.”

“But why?” Rarity asked.

“Because she said ‘it’s what friends, do’, she had allowed me to abuse her body to which has provided me an heir as well as hers, and she will continue to help with my sister. Celestia is still alive and somewhat disposed to do anything.” She replied.

The sound of Celestia’s name seemed to reassure the ponies about what their lives were going to be like, if their ruler was still alive then the kingdom could still be saved. Though the mentions of the heir did make them shiver, how she managed to give birth in such a short time must have had some serious effects to her mind.

Rarity made an observation and asked. “Why doesn’t Twilight speak to us?”

“Oh, as a side effect to such a short birthing period and because of having to give birth in one day, Twilight is in a catatonic trance where she will eventually recover. I don’t know the details of what the effects are, but she’ll comeback in her own time, now is that everything?” Nightmare asked cutly.

The ponies had nothing else to say, at least nothing constructive, they held their peace and Nightmare finished her announcement.

“So, my daughter shall be assigned to Ponyville, Starswirl shall inform me of public relations and conditions of the kingdom and she shall also work to improve conditions if she can in my reign. If that is all, I shall take my leave.” She finished and turned away.

The carriage of Nightmare departed with the Twilight golem and so everypony watched as their new queen departed and left them with a rather perturbed group of friends and a blue unicorn who looked like a bit Twilight. When the crowds dispersed Starswirl faced her former friends, as lucid as the term was in this situation.

It was an awkward scenario that the 5 didn’t wish to share, except maybe Pinkie but that was for different reasons altogether. The silence was broken between them as Applejack was more willing to be forward to their former friend’s daughter.

“Well how do you do Starswirl, I’m Applejack; I guess you’ll be staying where your ‘mom’ did?” She asked somewhat unsure of how to react to someone so different yet so close.

Starswirl was pretty sure that she didn’t want to talk about moving into the residence where Spike was, but she had to, she knew it was going to break his heart when he heard that she wasn’t going back to see him again. She replied quietly. “Yes.”

They guided her in the direction, Pinkie was somewhat happy that there was a pony that would be happy to be their friend. “So Starswirl, what is it like having queen meanie as your mom? Is it like being posh, or like grey? Or maybe…” The party pony rambled on as they walked down the streets to the library, along the way the ponies of Ponyville stared at her as if she was a leper of sorts.

Rarity tried to make conversation as well inquiring.
“Starswirl my dear, might I ask you about your, cutie mark?”

“Yes, of course, what would you like to know?” Starswirl asked.

“How is it that you have a starburst within a spinning constellation of stars?” She asked looking carefully at the cutie mark.
Starswirl hadn't noticed it but Rarity was right, the star swirl pattern of the cutie mark was hiding the starburst pattern of her former life, she didn’t know what to say.

“It’s hereditary I guess, mom was a lover of astronomy, and Luna is the goddess of the night time, it would make sense that I’d end up with something in between.” She replied.

Rarity raised an eyebrow but simply accepted it as a reasonable answer, many ponies had something in relation to their families, Twilight must have had something to like about the night skies, so she simply let it slide for now. Fluttershy was still being as hidden as possible, and Rainbow threw Starswirl very uneasy looks at her, she didn’t like any of it. Being the one who held loyalty at her core she didn’t like the fact that any of this had happened, especially since Twilight had trusted her, but she couldn’t stay mad at her friend’s daughter now could she?

The 6 made their way into the library passing the last of the ponies who were staring at the daughter of the queen of the kingdom; many stares were of contempt for Starswirl, but also pity, being raised as the daughter of such a terrible ruler. When they arrived at the door to the library the group noticed that the lights were on and probably spike was waiting inside hoping for some good news.

Applejack knocked on the door and waited for a response.
“Who is it?” Spike asked.

“It’s us Spike, open up, we have someone you need to see.” Applejack replied.

The friends were wary of how Spike would that the news, he’d be devastated by hearing that Twilight might never comeback, but it was better than lying to him about what had happened. The library door opened revealing the young baby dragon, he was looking at them hopefully and he saw Starswirl, he brightened up and exclaimed.
“Twilight?!”

But before anyone could correct him from the poor lighting outside, he jumped up and hugged the blue mare without thinking. The awkwardness of the situation did come to light once the baby dragon dropped back and had a good look. “Umm, you’re not Twilight…” He said perplexed.

“We were going to stop you but you jumped up before we could say anything Spike.” Rarity said.

“Oh, then who’s this? And where’s Twilight? Wasn’t she supposed to be at the announcement?” He eyed them.

Starswirl knew that this was going to hurt him badly once they told him, the honest of the 6 of them explained. “Ah don’t know how to say it, but, Twi’ ain’t comin back Spike.” AJ said looking at her hooves.

Spike visibly blanched at the statement and looked at them with some remains of his hope thinking that it wasn’t true. “NO, please, tell me that she’s coming back… I don’t know what to do without her, guys come on…” He looked around desperately.

“Twilight’s gone Spike, Nightmare took her from us, her mind ain’t in her head anymore, and from what Nightmare said to us, she can’t come back.” Applejack continued.

Spike took the news hard, he didn’t know what to say, he looked around and then stood there shell shocked, this was to him what was like to anypony losing their mother or father, and he had loved Twilight like his own mother, and now. Starswirl hated to see her former assistant to lose all that he loved for her former life; she then stood up to take control.
“Spike, mum used to think about you a lot… I know that you miss her and she misses you, but please don’t lose hope, she still might come back one day.” She put her hoof on his shoulder.

“Who are you to say that?” He glared.

Starswirl felt the pain in her heart when she looked at him, she felt the need to tell him, but she wouldn’t, this was payment in equal sense for taking on the burden of a new life. She then replied with a hug that took Spike and the others off guard.
“I’m Starswirl, her daughter, and I’m your sister, she misses you Spike, don’t give up.”

Spike held that startled expression until he hugged her back, he could feel Twilight’s warmth, a phantom sense which he’d remember for as long as he could, he then let go. Starswirl looked at him and asked him. “Do you remember what my mum used to be like?”

XXXXX

The group of friends entered the library, it was as how Twilight wanted it to be organised, and Spike had spent the past day preparing it for Twilight’s return. He expected a happy reunion not a farewell to the one he held close to him, Spike gave a recollection of his life with Twilight to Starswirl; she listened intently on hearing how Spike viewed her former life.
“Being a bookworm, she had it pretty good, I don’t know, maybe it was because she paid more attention to magic it seemed to give her a reputation, I was there when she performed her first transmutation with alchemy. That was an awesome spell.
She kept tell me off for eating her notes on the spells though.” He chuckled.

The friends laughed as well, except Starswirl who simply stared at her cup and smiled at the fond thoughts of her childhood. Spike was right, she did go over her notes intently and he then ate them before she could ever get the alchemical combinations correct, she still proved a brilliant mind though and completed the task in short order.
“So Starswirl, why do you keep looking at your cup?” Spike asked.

Starswirl snapped to, she knew what he probably suspected.
“Oh, I was just remembering all the things mum had seen. She gave me her memories before Nightmare finished aging me, she wanted me to make sure that when we met we’d be as close as family as possible.”

Spike seemed to nod and accept the response; he went back into his own thoughts though.
“So I guess having a lot of Twilight’s memories, I guess this means you’re here to stay?” He asked.

“Yes, mum had me put here for the time being, she thought it would be appropriate because I took her interest in books, and I know you all, she didn’t want to see it any other way. She misses you Spike, and she didn’t want to leave you here all alone, and I didn’t want to miss the chance to see you myself.” Starswirl explained.

Spike seemed to lighten up, his mother gave him a sister and that would be enough for him, he could still be the number 1 assistant, brother and son to his only family. He asked.
“What are you planning on doing here in Ponyville?”

“I planned on studying here in place of mum, and she also asked be to keep an eye on things for everypony, the chances were that Moon would use her new powers to put a lot of good ponies into bad situations and she didn’t want ponies to get hurt for the sudden changes. I’m here to work as public relations until somepony else is chosen to replace me.” Starswirl relied.

The friends held their silence for some time until Pinkie asked.
“So, do you think we should hold a welcome to Ponyville, happy birthday Starswirl party?” She said enthusiastically.

The 6 friends stared at each other until they all broke out laughing; the night was punctuated by the happy laughter of 6 friends, 6 wonderful friends. And then it was followed by some music and cheers, it was the best way to end a chapter and begin a chapter for the friends of Ponyville. Starswirl was happy; her memory would live on with everypony in a way it would keep the 6 together and with Spike who would help them along their lives. Until one day when Starswirl revealed the truth, this facet of life would continue and all would be well with the world.

XXXXX

Shadow Star Castle
Within the dungeons where the princess was being held a figure entered the chambers, she had her lavender coat covered in a dress of navy and deep magenta. Her hooves echoed as they travelled down to the centre with a catering of food stuff, the princess would be hungry and with all that alcohol Nightmare didn’t want her kin continuously pitied in the depths of her own disposition for a decade, she’d try other means to reach her.

The lavender mare reached the cube and pulled the walls away with her magic, she had memories as Nightmare had experimented on trying to make her as advanced as possible. However she was still restricted to basic levitation and spells and had no emotions, there wasn’t the spark that had given her sentient thoughts of being able to live as the original did.
Upon opening the cube the mare stepped through and stated in a drone.
“You’re dinner my lady.”

Placing the tray of food the mare didn’t hear any response and began to head off, however something grasped her hooves, she looked down to see that magic tethers had grasped her. The mind of the advanced golem wasn’t very effective and it didn’t know how to respond to the action, and thus it was pulled into the cube where an indisposed Celestia lay. Her bloodshot eyes glowing as her magic brought the mare to her side, she needed to do this, for her ponies, this was needed.

The unicorn mare stared dead into the eyes of the once regal monarch, Celestia felt her mind enter into the shell, she needed to do this before her depression grasped her mind again, this was for Equestria, this was for her student, and she needed the chance to speak to her, if not in person, then in some other form.
“Hear me soul, take me and bind me, and lift me to your heart, accept me and become one.” Her magic flowed freely into the Twilight copy.

The mind of the flesh golem had never felt such an experience, the spark, the spark of something came to, and soon the body of the unicorn glowed and stood there unknowing as to what was going on until the spell finished. The copy stood there even as Celestia fell into unconsciousness from the expenditure of magic.
The mare stared out into the chamber until she finally spoke her first words.
“I’m alive…”

XXXXX
Ponyville
Twilight fell asleep after the celebrations ended, her friends as sorrow for losing a friend, they gained one, one that they would not lose, she would be by their side, through thick and thin, they’d be together. The sorrows had ended, now it was recovery, it was time to go on, to live their lives. But this was the beginning of a number of new journey’s not just Starswirl, but all of Ponyville.

But for the time being, everypony would have bittersweet dreams. Starswirl was curled up next to Spike, who was happy to feel her again, even if she wasn’t there.
XXXXX
(Update!)
Sorry guys I’ve been kind of tired with this chapter, I didn’t know how to begin or end it, so I took the best idea I had. This is the beginning of Starswirl, and the beginning of another, oh boy, Twilight the reborn has come to pass, now how will the 6 deal with the future?