• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 1,465 Views, 13 Comments

Great Power. Great Sorrow. - Aetherlord_Ignus



Twilight learns that she destroyed Trixie's career and that the Ursa destroyed her wagon.

  • ...
6
 13
 1,465

Great Depression

Twilight and Trixie sat on a park bench and were both eating. Trixie was drinking a soda and Twilight was chewing a sandwich. Ponies walking by were shooting Trixie strange looks, they remembered her fraud all too well. Trixie was drawing and writing in a notebook, trying to make sure that Twilight couldn’t see it.

“When I came to Ponyville, I hoped for a new start,” said Trixie, “but instead I let vanity get in my way and now look where it’s gotten me. I barely even now any magic despite my cutie mark.”

“If you want to learn magic you’ve come to the right pony, I can teach you.”

“You’d do that?”

“Yes I would, I owe it to you.”

Trixie pulled a single suitcase into the library's spare bedroom. She noticed that her hat and cloak were quite torn.

“Rarity can fix that,” said Twilight.

Trixie unpacked her things, a few magic tricks, some fireworks, two photos, one of her doing a magic show as a filly and another was an image of her signed by her parents. It read “Good luck on your big night sweetie, love Mom and Dad.” Trixie stared at the photo for a while. She remembered when she used to be a first-rate magician, performing at a stage in Hoofington, she remembered how after a while, the town saw through her tricks. She was kicked out of the stage and she started a traveling show, looking for a place to settle and maybe make some friends. She remembered how she kept chasing the ponies away, they all despised her for her fraud. She could never repay Twilight for her hospitality, “because maybe,” she thought, “I could get a new start by learning some more magic.”

Twilight and Trixie stood in the center of the library. Trixie was struggling to keep a giant horse-head sculpture aloft with her magic.

“Hey, I think I’ve gotten the hang of it,” said Trixie. The sculpture suddenly fell.

“Almost,” said Trixie.

“If you don’t mind me asking,” said Twilight, “what is your backstory.”

“Well,” said Trixie, “since I was a filly, I’ve always been interested in the magic I had as a unicorn. I had studied magic hard and managed to perform some amusing magical tricks. The tricks impressed my parents and friends, but there were plenty of unicorns better than me and that was always upsetting. One day, while in a junk shop, I found a wizards robe and hat, I fell in love with it and I made a decision, I would become a performing magician. I decided that I could get by with my limited skills if I also did some performance. I changed my name from Lulamoon to Trixie and I started a show to amuse my friends and family. They liked it, my acting made up for the gap that I once had. That was the event that earned me my cutie mark. It was fun for a while, but the older I got, the less people were interested in the act. I had to perform some more, so I started to be arrogant and lie about my great feats such as vanquishing an Ursa Major. I soon had a top position at a Hoofington Stage, but soon people saw through my act, I got a cart and I started traveling form town to town in order to make some friends and find a new life, but I screwed up every time,” Trixie was starting to cry.

“I did the exact same thing when I came to Ponyville,” sobbed Trixie, “I got carried away and the Ursa soon destroyed my cart, I ended up having to live in the Everfree forest, the only food I could get was pinecones, except rarely, a zebra named Zecora would give me a fruit. I can’t put on shows my any more. I figured that I could just settle here if I learned some real magic.”

Trixie began to cry even louder. Twilight hugged and tried to comfort her.
“It’s going to be all right Trixie,” said Twilight, “it’s going to be all right.”

That night, Trixie was writing and drawing in a notebook she had.

“What are you drawing?” Asked Twilight.

“Oh, nothing,” said Trixie.