• Published 30th Dec 2011
  • 14,833 Views, 194 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 1: Pegasus - Jeweled Pen

  • ...
23
 194
 14,833

Chapter 2: Target

Twilight held onto the green scales for dear life, the wind blowing around her as every moment felt like she might be tossed off and plummet to the world below. All she could hear were screams and explosions as the sky itself rained down around them, destroying all that was struck. A whistling sound drew her attention up and, as she watched helplessly, a star pulled itself from the sky and hurtled down at her. Within moments the heat became unbearable as the white light enveloped her.

“Find the great dragon...”

Twilight sat up quickly, her body drenched in a cold sweat. She looked around frantically as she tried to remember where she was and what she was doing here. She was in a small stone home, with a thick blanket over the door and a fire in the center. The room was very hot but not very smokey, so she assumed there was ventilation somewhere. She glanced down and saw she was laying in a rather warm bed.

Slowly the Avatar got to her hoofs and, taking wobbly steps, made her way towards the entrance. With more difficulty than she liked she pushed out through the blanket and entered the world outside.

Light blinded her for a moment, forcing her to blink a few times as her eyes tried to adapt. When she could see again she looked out into the world and saw... almost nothing but white. White as far as the eye could see. The clouds no longer surrounded the small village so she could see for what felt like forever, but everything was covered in snow and ice. For miles and miles the returning sun revealed the damage of its hundred year absence. She shivered as an icy wind billowed around her, chilling her to the bone. She glanced up towards the sun and saw a hoofful of remaining clouds, but they were being destroyed rapidly by a rainbow colored blur that moved through the sky almost to fast to see. Soon the life giving rays of the sun would cover the entire land.

“You're awake!” a voice yelled in her ear, making her mane and tail stand on end. She quickly turned and readied herself for an attack, a small flame on the tip of her horn.

The fire bender let out a sigh of relief when she recognized the pony that startled her. “Oh, hello. Pinkie Pie was it?” she asked as she let the flame on her horn die down. She couldn't help but feel a little disturbed by the way the earth pony kept hopping around without seeming to actually move anywhere. She also noticed that the home she exited from seemed to be on the edge of the village, one of the closest to the cliffs edge. “How long was I out for? How long has the sun been out?”

“A couple hours to both! We had a party for you but you slept through it but we can throw another one. Here, have a cupcake!” the pink pony said she she thrust a chocolate cupcake forward.

Twilight narrowly avoided having it forced into her mouth by taking a quick step back. She gingerly took the pastry as she fake smiled and gently nibbled on it, realizing it wasn't too bad. “I uhhh... Can we talk? Seriously for a moment? Without you hopping around?” she let out a sigh of relief as the earth pony stopped hopping. She then cringed when she saw the pink ponies tail and mane begin to vibrate, as if she might explode at any moment from build up. “What happened?”

“Well first we climbed the mountain and broke your egg and brought you down here and then you woke up and then-”

“NO!” the unicorn interrupted quickly. “I um, just... Is there any pony else I can talk too? Any pony? Her?” She pointed to Fluttershy. Who promptly dove head first under a rock, her flank sticking out slightly and shivering. “... She does know I can still see her, doesn't she?”

“Probably! So, you're a fire bender, right? Does that mean you can make fire anywhere?”

“What? Oh, yeah. Technically. It's almost impossible to make it under water and quite difficult to make in very cold places. It's honestly so cold here that making a small ball of flame is hard. I think it's even colder now than it was when I first woke up...” she said with another shiver. “Well, I can make more if I really try. Like when I melted your friend... and...” her voice trailed off as the pink pony began to hop around. Yup, apparently the build up took over.

“I've never ever ever seen a fire bender or even a unicorn before! Then I got to see a whole bunch in just one day! Though I guess that makes sense since we don't have any unicorns here and those ones were after you and the only benders we even have are Dashie and Fluttershy, though I'm not even sure Fluttershy can bend. But most air nomads who are pegasi can bend so I think she can but she never tries it cause she doesn't even like flying let alone trying to blow things over. Though Dashie uses hers all the time and-” her words were muffled, but not stopped, as a purple hoof was pushed into her mouth.

“Please Pinkie. Please. I... need a little more time. Let's start from the beginning, okay? I'm a fire bender. I'm also a unicorn. It's really not uncommon where I'm from and not worth getting this excited over,” though even as she said that she highly doubted the earth pony ever got under excited about anything. “Air nomads have unicorns too, correct? I know they can't bend but they shouldn't be so uncommon that they are worth getting this excited about.”

“Well, yeah. Not here though! We're mostly just earth ponies. Most of the pegasi and the unicorns had to go to Cloudsdale. Though now that the suns up maybe they will come back? Ohhh! We can hold a welcome home party!” the pink pony said excitedly as she began hopping around faster.

“Err... Cloudsdale? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that place. Why would they all head there?” Twilight asked as she slowly backed away from the, she was quite certain, crazy earth pony.

“Oh, that's easy. It's the capital! Dashie was going to take me and Fluttershy up there when we got a few years older. There are a lot of things there, the flying academy, bending academy, not to mention the main importer of most air countries goods. Though I think the Water Nation is still trying to occupy it, but-” she was cut off as the village ponies began to shriek and run into their homes.

Twilight looked around frantically, but was unable to see the cause of alarm. Until she looked up and let out a soft gasp. Four of the pegasi from before, wearing their Water Nation armor, had returned and were attacking the flying rainbow blur. One of the them were sent flying into a nearby cloud, but the other three managed to finally get a hold of the blur and bring it down to the ground.

“Let me go!” Rainbow howled as she bucked and thrashed about in frustration, but they slowly managed to pin and tie her up. “Buncha cowards! What's a mattar? Scared to take me one on one?! Come on, I could take any of yah with one hoof behind my back!” She tried to flap her wings, but they were to tightly bound. Within a few more moments she was silenced by a gag.

“AVATAR!” one of the guards yelled as he put a hoof on top of the struggling blue mare. Their fourth member slowly drifted down from the above cloud, though he was nursing a swollen jaw. “Come out! We know you're here and we have a hostage!” The guard was suddenly toppled over as Rainbow's thrashing enabled her to get a well placed buck to the ponies chest.

Twilight gulped as she watched the guards while hiding behind a stone house. “Okay, maybe if I tried... I know! I'll outsmart them! First I'll walk up behind one of them and say I'm going to give up! Then when they untie the blue pegasus I'll convince her to help me fight th-” she cringed as one of the poor guards let out a high pitched squeal of pain. “Or I'll just get them to untie her. Then I'll use my magic to help us both escape.” She turned to look at Pinkie, but the mare was already gone.

The Avatar sighed and shook her head before coming out from behind the small home. She looked around nervously before smiling to the guards. One was on the ground in the fetal position, two were trying to hold the blue mare down while the last tried securing the ropes so no more mishaps occurred. “Okay, you win. I surrender. You can let her go,” she said as she moved closer, mentally preparing her first attack.

“That's not going to happen,” the guard said as Twilight's plan came crashing down around her. Though honestly she couldn't blame them as one of the guards were actually crying. “Grab her and tie her up.” He said to the other two guards.

“Y-you do realize I'm a fire bender, right?” the unicorn said as she quickly backed away from the two advancing guards. “Ropes are useless. I'd just burn them off and be free, right?” she informed them nervously as they kept coming after her, undeterred. “Really, it wouldn't do any good. Waste of your TIME!” she yelped before turning and running as the guards followed in hot pursuit. They split off and tried to corner her as she dived and weaved around the small village, desperately trying to come up with a new plan.

One came to her as she rounded another small home, unfortunately she ran straight into one of the guards. While he did stumble back a few steps, the sudden blow brought stars to her eyes and made her wobble backwards before falling on her flank. That armor was harder than she thought. She let out a startled shriek as another guard grabbed her from behind and the ropes began to wrap around her.

Twilight struggled and threatened them, to no avail, as they laid her across the back of their strongest member and began the slow descent down the mountain.

------

Far across the ocean, in the Water Nation capital castle, Nightmare stared across her table in disdain. Her admiral, a blue unicorn with a long star covered purple hat and cape and a silver mane, sat across from her. On either side of the blue unicorn stood the admiral's personal guards. Snails, a tall orange unicorn with a green mane and tail, and Snips, a short stumpy green unicorn with orange mane and tail. Nightmare found the three of them to be intolerable. The two guards were incompetent and she could never understand how the admiral could stand, let alone choose, the brain dead buffoons.

Trixie was intolerable for a different reason. Her eyes were always on the throne, waiting for a chance to wipe out the ruler and become the new Nightmare Moon. If she was even half as brilliant as she claimed then the ruling bender would actually consider her a threat and have eliminated her ages ago. As it was, the mare was still quite ruthless. Despite her young age she had made her way to the top ranks by eliminating, destroying, humiliating and completely breaking all who dared to stand in her way. Such a mentality was just what the powerful unicorn needed.

“The sun has risen and that means one of two things. Either the avatar has returned or fire benders have escaped our watch. I care not which, but you are to find and eliminate whichever one it is. You are to use whatever means are necessary,” as Nightmare Moon spoke her voice echoed through the halls as she towered over the three ponies. The two guards cowered and refused to look her in the eye, but Trixie stared back confidently. She almost admired her courage. Almost.

“Ah, of course your majesty. I will find and eliminate whoever dares to bring the sun back into our skies. No need for you to worry so,” the general said with a wicked smirk. The ruler noticed the back handed comment but kept her cool, not allowing the unicorn to think she had gotten to her. “But since this is a mission of grave importance, I do have a special request.” Slowly her blue hoof slid forward across the table, holding a small note.

The dark unicorn slowly lifted the note and read through it. Her only reaction was a slight twitch of her eye before speaking. “Very well... if you feel you are unable to accomplish this task alone, I will approve your request.” It was the general's turn to twitch, but only slightly. “You leave immediately. Dismissed.”

“Of course your majesty. This task is as good as done.” Trixie bowed her head once before turning to march off, her head held high. Once the door shut behind her she sneered at it. Stupid princess! She had no idea who she was messing with! Sure, the princess was powerful for now. But one day the Great and Powerful Trixie would rule all! With every mission her power grew greater and her influence grew wider! “Hurry up you blithering idiots, we're going to the south pole,” she called back as the other two struggled to keep up with her hurried pace.

“But why, Great and Powerful Trixie?” Snips asked in his dulled and awkward voice. The general held no small amount of contempt for the two. They were stupid, weak and their bending was sub par at best. However they made up for it with loyalty, obedience and a willingness to sacrifice themselves for her. A good leader always kept a few expendable pawns nearby. As an added bonus, many of her soldiers found them amusing and a great sense of moral.

Fortunately, She didn't need them to be smart. She was a genius. She needed guards who would follow her without question, not ones that would try to interfere with her plans or out think her. She also took quite a bit of pleasure explaining her amazing plans and watching as their minds practically exploded at the sheer brilliance incarnate that was the Great and Powerful Trixie.

“Tell me Snips, what is at the south pole?” she asked in her condescending tone. Soldiers milled about the three as they walked down the hall, for the most part ignoring them while only a few saluted. Her ship, the Tsunami, was being prepped for its next flight as pegasi flew around it and made sure everything was in working order.

“Ummmm...” the unicorn said slowly with a slack jawed stare, “Snow... Ice... Santa hooves?”

“That's the north pole, you blithering idiot. The Ice Block, Water Nations highest security prison and home to Water Nation's most dangerous criminals,” she paused for a moment and grinned at the prospect of that useless princess, Rarity, ending up there if Celestia ever finally gives up on her. “and do you know who guards the ice block?”

Both the unicorns froze as Snips gulped nervously. “Y-you don't... mean... not the...”

“Yes. Them. The legendary fliers of Water Nation. The Shadowbolts.” Her wicked cackle made the two guards blood freeze as they looked to each other for a second, before running to catch up.

------

Far across the world on, on an icy mountain, four pegasi and a tied up unicorn slowly made their descent down the steep rocks. Twilight kept her eyes closed, even though it was moot since she was blindfolded. She could feel them moving slowly, the pegasus carrying her forced to hop from out cropping to outcropping due to her extra weight making it difficult to fly. She took long, slow breaths as she prepared for her escape attempt.

She tried to light the flame within her, to turn her anger into a burning inferno. Dwelling on all the misfortune that had happened to her since her awakening. Here she was in a place she didn't know, being attacked, being fillynapped, freezing her mane off and these ponies just expected her to take it! No more! She would show them! The inner flame turned to a blaze as she growled and opened her eyes. A powerful howl filled her gag as flames erupted all over her body.

The pegasus carrying her let out his own howl of pain before rearing up and sending her flying off his back. Still blinded by the burning blindfold she landed with a pained oof, closing her eyes yet again. After a few moments she felt the burning ropes weaken and she was able to pull herself free, snapping and tearing them off before jumping to her hooves.

With a single motion she tore the smoldering cloth off her eyes and glared defiantly at the pegasi while she tried to blink the ash out. Burning chunks of rope still stuck to her, some of which had molded to her mane, but she could deal with that later. For now she just stomped her hoof once and dared them to charge her.

Cries of pain came from below as the scorched guard laid on his stomach while another guard tossed ice and snow onto his back. The other two just hovered in the air and glared at her. They looked ready to charge her any moment as she took a step back and raised a hoof, flames enveloping it. “Stay back! I'll-” but her words were cut short as a rainbow blur slammed into one of the hovering guards and sent him hurtling into the mountain side.

The second guard looked stunned for a moment before turning around, having felt a tap on his shoulder. “Ummm... Excuse me, but is it okay if I knock you out of the sky and umm... take the avatar and run away? Please?” Fluttershy asked with her sweetest smile.

“Ye- NO!” the guard yelled as he got a hold of himself and shook his head. He let out a startled yelp as the rainbow blur suddenly pile drove him into the mountain side as well.

“Fluttershy, what was that?! You don't ask permission to hit them! You just hit them! Like so! You!” Rainbow pointed at Twilight, making her freeze. “Come on!” she dived down and scooped the startled unicorn up before flying above.

The remaining unharmed guard, unwilling to pursue alone, watched them leave with a fierce scowl. “Avatar! We'll find you! No matter where you run you will never get away from Water Nation! You won't escape!” his voice echoed after them as the three flew back up towards the village.

“Thank you,” Twilight said as she was gently deposited on the ground. She glanced around at the village before letting out a soft sigh. “I appreciate all you have done for me, especially saving me just now. But I have to leave,” her voice was soft and sad as she looked away from the two.

“What? Why? Don't worry about Water Nation, they're just a buncha push overs. We can handle those losers,” Rainbow said with a smirk.

“No. It's not just that. Well, it is mostly that,” Twilight said sadly. “But I need to return home. If the fire tribes are in danger from the Water Nation then they'll need me. Even if not for that, if I stayed here more ponies would come looking for me. More soldiers. One of you would get hurt if I stay,” she stomped a hoof down as she gazed at the dirt. “Please understand, I am very grateful for your help. But I cannot stay and endanger you all longer than I already have,” her voice got softer and softer with each word. “Please don't argue...”

Rainbow scoffed and shook her head. “You gotta be kidding me. You'll get lost, or hurt, or captured, or any number of things. You don't know anything about the world. If you go out alone it would be suicide,” the pegasus said with a hmph as she turned away. After a few moments of silence she smirked. “So I'll come with you too. Help keep you out of trouble.”

“What?!” the Avatar shrieked in shock, turning to look at the pegasus. “But you have things you have to do here! Like, the clouds and ummm... I'm sure you do a lot of other things here!”

“Please. The weather practically takes care of itself. Besides, you're the Avatar! If I let you go by yourself and you end up getting captured or worse it'll be my fault. No way I'm having that on my head. I'm coming with you and that's final.”

“But, I... Thank you,” Twilight said as she turned her gaze back to the ground, but was unable to suppress a happy smile. “I appreciate your wi-”

“I-I'm coming too!” Fluttershy shouted just barely loud enough for them to hear from a few feet away. “I-it's important a-and you s-shouldn't go alone a-and I'll try not to be a burden... sorry...” her gaze lowered with each word as the two soon didn't have the heart to tell her no.

“Thank you. Both of you. If you both want to help me I won't turn you away. But please remember that it will be hard, I don't really know where my final destination is and there will be a lot of ground to cover. Not to mention I can't fly, so...” once again she trailed off as a massive shadow fell over the three ponies. They looked up and stared, mouths agape, at a large purple balloon with a big brown basket. Pinkie Pie was leaning over the side and waving happily at them.

“Are we going yet? I got everything packed and-” the pink mare called down.

“What?! How did you know, why are you, where did you get a, to many questions!” the Avatar shrieked at the pony.

“Pinkie sense,” the earth pony responded with a large grin, as if that answered everything.

“What does that mean? How do- eeeek!” the unicorn let out another shriek as she was suddenly grabbed from behind by Rainbow and hauled up to the balloon. She was deposited onto packages filled with… well... “Why are there so many balloons and streamers in here? Is that a cake? What is all this? Why do you have bags of glitter?!”

“Well duh silly, we can't have a proper going away party without these things,” Pinkie said as she blew a kazoo in Twilight's ear. “Why do you think I ran off earlier? We're going to have the best mid air party ever!” the pony hopped around, making the unicorn close her eyes in fear, before throwing a large fire cracker out the side to explode a moment later. “Weeee!”

“Careful! Stop! You're shaking the basket! You're going to get us both killed!” Twilight shrieked as she finally lunged out and grabbed the hyperactive pony by the shoulders. “Just. Stand. Still,” she said firmly as she gave the two pegasi a confused look. She was startled to see they were already a few yards from them.

“We'll take care of some things here, but we'll catch up to you guys later. But here, I'll give a little boost! Hiya!” Rainbow yelled as she charged forward, wings flapping wildly, and slammed into the balloon. Wind rushed by them as the air filled vehicle began to make it's way through the skies.

“H-here we go...” Twilight said as she dropped down as low as she could get in the basket, occasionally giving Pinkie fearful looks as she hopped about. She wondered for a moment if the entire trip would feel this off kilter. She glanced back up at Pinkie and figured yes, it would. “Next stop, the fire tribes.”